Mobile phone has become a constant companion. This is not only a connection with the outside world, but also a center of entertainment. Music, radio, movies, games and all this is always in your pocket. Now you can carry your own house with you. How? Very simple. Xiaomi Smart Home kit will help.
Modern smart home
The whole system is configured for the tasks needed by the owner of the apartment. She can recognize those situations that need to be controlled. Tasks can be different:
- Security systems.
- Climate control.
- Energy saving.
- Control audio-equipment.
- Emergencies and more.
All control options are set by the person himself, and the system obediently performs them, in strict accordance with the laid down work scenario.
What does it give? Changing the quality of life.
A simple example. You woke up at night and wanted to drink. The system will detect movement and turn on the light automatically.
And which of us was not worried at work that the iron was not turned off or that the television remained working? Now this problem is easy to solve. A smart outlet command is sent from your smartphone and the devices that bother you will immediately turn off.
In general, this is the advantage of a smart home that can recognize different situations prescribed in the script and automatically respond to them.
- Water breakthrough. overlapping riser.
- They opened a window or door. the alarm is turned on and a telephone call goes to the security control panel.
- Gas leak. gas line closes.
A smart home implements these and similar situations automatically without the intervention of the owner of the apartment or house.
Xiaomi smart home where to start
For a beginner, the task will seem difficult and difficult. But, if you correctly implement the idea of how the Xiaomi smart home works, everything is decided on its own.
Clear and simple tasks
Start small. Set yourself one or two simple tasks.
Consider a household example.
After work, we returned home, we need to find or feel for the switch in the dark. the light turned on. Undressed, picked up bags of food and the kitchen. And the light continues to burn.
The solution is to install a motion sensor in the hallway plus an Aqara switch.
The relay is activated and the light turns on in the dark. If there is no movement in the corridor, the light automatically turns off.
Of course, everything will be controlled by the Xiaomi smart home from the main unit of the Smart Home system.
Convenient and easy? Yes!
Do not stop there
Now, when we tried the input lighting, it was the turn of the TV. It’s more convenient to watch it in the dark. And if you put a wireless button next to the sofa and control the light in the room without getting up. Easy too! The button is powered by an internal battery and it can control the light in the room. over, turning off / on the light can be programmed by a timer!
Divide and rule
What if you have your own home? Double decker?
Scenarios get complicated, the number of sensors is growing. You can collect more complex schemes.
The solution asks for itself. an additional gateway. This, in addition to amenities, also provides the possibility of safety net. If one breaks, the other will work. This is even more true if there are thick walls between the rooms. Wi-Fi just will not “break” them.
Generally speaking, there can be many of them in the general system. And relays can be connected to the nearest control unit. And when one gateway fails, the entire system at home will work if you put Wi-Fi signal amplifiers.
Not all devices need Wi-Fi.
In principle, there is an opportunity to do without the “smart home” system. For example, there is a stand-alone lamp / night lamp from Mijia or Yeelight.
Powered by the included battery. They have their own built-in motion sensors. At night, they react to human movement and are not blinded by bright light.
By the end of 2014, Xiaomi is introducing a modular home automation system for the “home of the future”.
over, the capabilities and characteristics of the system are no worse than well-known brands in this area, despite the budget price category.
The whole complex is divided into three types of devices:
- Which operate on the ZigBee communication protocol. If there is only one control gateway, all devices are combined into a single network.
- Wi-Fi protocol.
- Bluetooth connectable sensor.
The whole system is extremely simple and able to work with any equipment, even if the house has power outage.
So, first things first.
Smart Home Sync Unit
The device itself, like the entire line of the kit, is made of white plastic. In the front, in the midst of many holes folded into the pattern, is the Mi logo from the manufacturer mijia.
Dimensions 80 × 80 × 37 mm. A small, but in a standard tee, an adjacent socket will be blocked by the block body.
UA plug. an adapter is required for our sockets.
There is a button on the side.
Along the edge, the device is bordered by a translucent strip. Under it is a LED backlight that can serve as a nightlight function. The shade of light is chosen to your liking.
The main task of the device is to interact with all elements of the system using the special ZigBee protocol. That is, due to it, all devices are paired into a single Smart Home system.
But there is one condition. Before connecting, to automate all processes, you need to download and install the Mi Smart Home application from Google Play on your smartphone.
Out of the box. the sensor itself and the mounting leg. It’s comfortable. It enables circular rotation of the sensor in the desired direction and bending at an angle of 900.
You can do without a leg. in the kit there is a 2-sided tape to stick on the wall or ceiling.
At the top of the window is the light sensor from mijia. There is a sync button on the case.
It is connected to the general system using the Xiaomi plugin “Add SubDevice”. To do this, a side button is pressed on the housing. The program sets the room and selects an icon for it.
In the program tab, you can check the list of scripts and the status log, both current and history by day, week, month.
In the program of management of the Smart Home system, you can set the condition of the relay. It is possible to adjust the lighting of the room by movement or, for example, the inclusion of a nightlight on a timer.
Magnetic sensor for opening a door or window
In the box with the Xiaomi smart home kit, a sensor, a magnet and double-sided tape. The same tape is already pasted on the devices themselves.
All relay operation is based on the state reaction (closed / open) of the contacts between the sensor and the magnet.
In order to correctly install and not confuse anything, the manufacturer prudently put deep risks on the side of both elements. They should be strictly opposite each other.
The sensor is connected to the system through the Mi Home application:
- Open the “connect device” page.
- A list of devices appears.
- We need a “door and window sensor”.
- It is necessary to follow the on-screen prompts and hold down the side button on the sensor.
- After the LED blinks three times, the button can be released.
- When the device is registered in the system, it will appear in the list of elements of the smart home.
We suggest use cases.
The most requested. the door opens and the light in the hallway lights up. You can set a timer for the duration of lighting.
Also a popular feature is an alarm. Such a relay can be installed not only on the door. Windows also need to be equipped with such sensors.
I must say that if such a security complex is installed independently, you need to carefully familiarize yourself with the capabilities of the Mi Home program. There can be many settings or scenarios for using different elements of the system.
As part of the review, you can add. If you use the complex as a burglar alarm, then for the system to respond correctly to the opening of the door, such applications as are written in the application:
Thus, the system will sound an alarm if you are not at home, and an alarm message will be sent to your smartphone.
Wireless Smart Button
This is probably the most entertaining element from the Smart Home kit.
It can be placed anywhere (of course, in the control zone of the main system unit). The main convenience is that it is at hand. But what she will manage is up to you.
First, we’ll tell you what opportunities it gives.
Here is a simple example. lighting control:
- One click. the lamp turned on / off;
- Long press. adjust the lighting level of the lamp.
Or a more complicated option.
Connected to the TV: TV box, Satellite receiver, DVD player. Each has its own remote. To turn off everything, you need to sort out a bunch of remotes.
And you can do it easier. Register the buttons once in the script so that on a double click, the base of the smart home sends signals from different remotes itself. All devices connected to the TV will automatically turn off, and at the end of the script, the TV will also turn off.
Now even more convenient! You sit down on the sofa, press once. the lights went out. Two times. the TV turned on. Long press. the night light comes on. To configure:
- You need to open the Mi Home app.
- Select a button from the list of devices.
- To connect using a paper clip, activate the device. After three flashes, the clip must be released.
- Everything is a device in the system.
And now you can prescribe the scenario that you prefer.
Autonomous power. from the built-in round battery CR2032. Its resource before replacement is enough for two years of active use.
Humidity and temperature sensor
Actually, this device combines three sensors:
In front, we see a tiny device operation indicator and a thermometer icon.
Above is the operational button by which the device turns on.
Below are three technological holes for measuring environmental data.
On the back is a traditional double-sided tape and CR2032 battery slot. For ease of replacement there is a longitudinal slot. You can open the compartment with a simple coin.
The sensor is also connected via the Mi Home mobile application:
- Select “add device.” Among the list we find the name of this device.
- The gateway issues a connection command, the activation button is clamped for five seconds.
- After the sensor is activated, it enters the general system.
- Give him a name. Everything. Setup is complete.
The control program shows the temperature, humidity in the room and air pressure in real time.
There are recommendations on what to do, according to a given scenario.
To make these readings look more visual, the picture looks like a round speedometer.
The same readings can be seen in the form of a graph. To do this, “tap” on the desired parameter and get into the section with the schedule.
Go to the “automation” tab. Here the scenario of work is registered. If the sensor values are beyond the recommendations, either Xiaomi air humidifiers or split systems are turned on.
Xiaomi Aqara Flood Sensor
It is installed in places where water is likely to leak.
When the water level at the location of the detector rises by 0.5 mm, it will instantly notify of the accident at the water supply with sound and light alarms. In addition, when setting up the system, a notification is sent to the smartphone.
After eliminating the water leak, the alarm stops and the data is stored in the memory of the Mi Home application.
If the sensor is connected to a leakage protection system, it will send a signal to the control controller.
The controller controls the closing of the valve with a servo actuator. water on the main pipeline is shut off. The response time is 0.8–1 seconds.
As a result, your property was not damaged, there are no repair costs for the neighbors on the floor below.
- Due to wireless technology, the location of the device can be in any, even in a remote place.
- Its reliability complies with the international IP67 standard for working in the most difficult conditions.
- The case is made of high quality UV material, so the appearance during operation is maintained for a long time.
- Runs 2 years on a CR2032 battery.
Xiaomi Mijia Honeywell Smoke Detector smoke detector
Xiaomi fire detector helps to detect a fire in a timely manner.
Adjusts to a dangerous amount of smoke concentration in the room. When triggered, it emits an alarm and sends an alert to the phone.
Works when used in conjunction with the Smart Home sync unit via the Mi Home app on a smartphone.
There is a certificate of conformity CCCF.
Installation of the detector allows you to protect the house from sudden fire. As soon as the maximum permissible level of smoke rises in the room, the air conditioner and a sound signal turn on. A message is sent to the phone.
With such a device, your home is under constant fire protection. Get the chance to take timely steps to prevent danger.
Conventional smoke detectors are difficult to verify. But such a device is good because it has the ability to conduct remote diagnostics.
In addition, you can set up a reminder about the timely check of the device. Suppose, on the second day of every month, a reminder about the need for diagnostics will be sent to the phone.
- Small appliance made of fireproof material.
- Equipped with an integrated processor for data processing
- Thanks to its very low power consumption, it can be guaranteed to work for more than five years.
- It can be used both independently and in combination with the Smart Home from Xiaomi system.
- Simple installation.
Xiaomi Mijia Gas Detector Gas Leak Sensor
Another device from Xiaomi, a gas leak analyzer, helps improve housing safety.
- Made of refractory plastic.
- Advanced technologies ensure the accuracy of processing data on the level of gas (methane) in the room.
- It can be used both independently and in conjunction with the Smart Home system, when connected to a Xiaomi gateway.
In an apartment or private house there are places that are best kept under control. This directly relates to gas stoves, gas water heaters and boilers.
Therefore, it is better that such a sensor (or rather several) is already installed. Especially one that is connected to the Smart Home circuit. Then the device’s capabilities expand. in addition to the light and sound signal, a push notification is instantly sent to the phone.
At the same time, the system runs a script to disconnect all connected devices:
- wall outlets;
- The air conditioner turns on, the hood and the gas are pumped out.
The system makes it possible to take timely measures to eliminate the malfunction.
Recommended Sensor Installation:
- On the wall. the distance between the boiler and the analyzer is not more than four meters and 30 centimeters from the ceiling.
- To the ceiling. the distance from the boiler to the sensor is more than 4 m and hangs directly above the stove.
Sensors that monitor the state of engineering and utility systems are very necessary and important. If water leakage causes only local damage, daily control of gas and smoke will save the lives of many people.
Smart ZigBee Outlet Xiaomi Mi Smart Power Plug
We have already talked about convenience and security. It is the use of smart sockets that gives both.
If there is Internet in the house, then you can manage all the connections from the 220 V network, you can remotely using a familiar smartphone.
It is also possible to work according to a pre-planned scenario.
- start the slow cooker;
- control the light in the hallway;
- turn on the air conditioner and so on.
Now there is no need to worry about not turning off the iron or TV. the smart home system will work automatically or remotely from a smartphone.
You can set your timers for all connections from outlets. The equipment will automatically turn off.
If the power of the devices exceeds the permissible level, the outlet begins to overheat. To prevent a fire, the power supply will automatically stop.
Connecting the device to the Mi router:
- Press the contact on the socket. the yellow indicator lights up.
- Open the Mi router window in the program.
- Find the desired outlet in the list of devices.
- Click. “connect to the router.”
- On the outlet, the indicator lights up in green. setup is complete.
Advantages and disadvantages of the system
The advantages of the Xiaomi smart home system are obvious.
- Low power consumption is well reflected in the autonomy of connected devices.
- Possibility of remote control from mobile devices.
- Connected equipment has a huge selection of scripts and settings.
- In the basic package there are the most necessary devices and all this at an affordable cost.
But there are disadvantages that you also need to know about:
- To date, the kit is not adapted to the Russian market. To connect a central hub, an adapter for European plugs is required. But here, too, you need to be careful. The quality of cheap Chinese home adapters leaves much to be desired. everything hangs out and falls out. It is better to pre-purchase albeit expensive, but high-quality adapters. And what’s even more annoying. due to ridiculously sticking adapters, Xiaomi gadgets lose their attractive appearance.
- The inconvenience is caused by the Mi Home application on the smartphone. No translation into Russian. English is available for users. You cannot enjoy complete comfort. Hints, search and voice commands in the application in Chinese. During device registration, the controller speaks, but in Chinese. The application has a section “voice assistant”. For China, a thing is very necessary, because it understands only Chinese speech, and in our realities it is completely useless. So you can immediately turn it off.
- The central hub has a speaker and it is stated that you can listen to the radio. You can listen if you understand Chinese. There is no way to tune into urban FM.
- Implemented such a convenience as voice control. This, of course, will make life easier, but only to those who own all the dialects of China.
- It is possible to set the time zone. You must immediately choose your own (for example, GMT 3). Otherwise, all devices will work according to Beijing time.
- There is geolocation, but it’s better to turn it off and not touch it, otherwise we’ll “be” again in China.
- The range of the Xiaomi head device is relatively small.
- A small set of basic Smart Kit Home.
The disadvantages are rather, so to speak, flavoring and do not affect the work of the entire Xiaomi smart home complex. All components are easy to configure and operate.
Many elements of modern smart home systems were used in the last century, but due to the high price they were not available to everyone. But in the last decade, many elements have become not only popular, but also available. Xiaomi starter pack, the review of which you looked at, will cost 4,990 rubles. What used to be considered fiction is now becoming familiar and everyday.