If you bought a new scanner and connected it to Windows 10, then after installing the latest drivers, there will be no problems using the device. However, if you have an old scanner and Windows 10 does not see it when connected to a PC, you can configure it in the following ways.
Installing drivers for the scanner on Windows 10
If your scanner is more than 3 years old and the installation disk does not fit the bit and version of the operating system, you should go to the site of the official device manufacturer and download new drivers. We have prepared for you a list of sites where you can download the necessary software:
Download the drivers, connect the scanner to the PC and start the installation of drivers. We reboot the PC and check the device for operability. If this method does not work and the scanner does not work on Windows 10, then you should try the following methods.
Troubleshoot a connected scanner
If the connected scanner on a computer with Windows 10 is not detected, try the following method to solve the problem:
- We go into the Explorer. We find the scanner and right-click on the model name. From the list, select “Troubleshooting.”
- The tool starts up. Follow the prompts of the utility. The printer or scanner must be connected at this time.
If the utility did not help to solve the problem and Windows 10 does not see the scanner, you should check its installation. To do this, follow the instructions below.
- Click “Start”, “Settings”, “Devices”.
- In the menu on the left, select “Printers and Scanners.” Click on the cross “Add a printer or scanner.”
- A new window will open. We select the item “My printer is already quite a big age.”. Click “Next.”
- We wait until the system finds and install the PC to the printer and starts to see it.
What should I do if conflicts arise between the standard Microsoft utility and the scanning program from the manufacturer?
If you figured out how to connect the device, however, it is impossible to scan a document due to a conflict between the standard “Scanner” application from Microsoft and the native program from the manufacturer of the device itself, then follow the instructions below:
- Click “Start”, “Control Panel”, “Programs and Features”, in the menu on the left, select “Turn Windows Features on or off.”
- We find the branch “Document Printing Services”. Here you need to uncheck the “Scan and Fax Service”, “Faxes and Windows Scan”.
- We reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.
Now the scanner can be used without compatibility problems between the two programs.
See how to connect the scanner to Windows 10 in the: