Windows 10 Microphone Does Not Work On Laptop
Check if the microphone is on.
If your microphone does not work after updating Windows 10, then it may be turned off.
- Go to the “Windows Settings” section using the “Win I” shortcut and go to the “Privacy” tab.
- Find “Microphone” in the left panel and turn it on.
- You can also select the program through which you want to use your microphone.
Damaged or outdated microphone driver
This is one of the most common causes of any PC malfunction. Your microphone will not work properly if the drivers are damaged or outdated. Therefore, you need to install or update the device driver.
- Launch Device Manager and go to the “Sound, video and game controllers” section.
- Click on it and select “Realtek High Definition Audio” (in my case)
- By double-clicking, you will see a new pop-up window with program parameters and driver settings.
- Go to the “Driver” tab and click “Update Driver”.
Video: Windows 10 Microphone Does Not Work On Laptop
How to set up a microphone on Skype in Windows 10
- Go to the audio icon on the taskbar, right-click, and select Recording Devices.
- Select a microphone and double-click to open its properties.
- Here you can adjust the level and adjust such parameters as: “Noise reduction”, “Cancel DC offset”, “Cancel echo”, etc.
- Sometimes turning off all sound effects can also fix microphone problems.
- On the Advanced tab, uncheck the box next to “Allow applications to take special control of this device.”
Restart Windows Audio Service
Some minor issues with your Windows Audio Service may also cause microphone errors, and restarting is the best way to fix this. Follow these steps to restart the Windows Audio Service.
- Open the Run Run command and enter services.msc.
- This will open the entire list of Windows Services on your PC.
Select Windows Audio, right-click and select Restart.
Skype microphone issues are usually related to the devices themselves. This means that the same action does not work for everyone. Try the troubleshooting methods mentioned above and see if they help you, but if your microphone still doesn’t work on Skype, try restarting the Skype app. This post has additional tips for troubleshooting Skype audio and video issues.
Leave your comment below if you have other corrections that may be added to this list.