What to do if your computer, smartphone, or tablet is too quiet
Check the volume settings of the different applications
If the sound is too quiet in any one app or game, make sure it is set to maximum volume. This advice may seem trivial. But while most apps limit sound control to a single slider, some games or media players may have advanced audio settings hidden. Try to find them and adjust them.
Also if you are using Windows check the volume mixer settings. This is a point to control the sound levels in different programs. To start it up, right-click on the sound icon and select “Open Volume Mixer”.
Then set the maximum volume for each application. If the program you need is not in the mixer, start it and play the sound in it. the program should appear.
Restart your computer and test it in safe mode
The sound can suddenly become quiet or disappear as a result of a malfunction in the OS or a specific program. Restart your computer. maybe that will be enough to restore normal volume.
If rebooting doesn’t help, it is possible that the reason is not an accidental failure, but a wrong system setting or an incorrect behavior of some programs. To find and fix such problems test the sound in safe mode.
Update the operating system and the sound driver
The volume can drop due to bugs in the operating system code. Such bugs usually occur after installing an update that is not working properly. In such cases, we can only hope that the developers will notice the error and promptly fix it in the next update. So check if there are any new updates for your system.
Windows users should also check for the latest version for the sound driver and update it. Free programs like Driver Booster and DriverPack will do this automatically. If you don’t want to install additional software, you can download the driver from your computer manufacturer’s website and install it manually.
Use the equalizer
If the sound has always been quiet, you can increase the maximum volume with EQ. Run it and test different presets. If neither one gives the desired boost, experiment with the sliders manually until you get the best effect.
Where to find an equalizer in Windows
- Open “Control Panel” → “Sound.
- Double-click the playback device and click the “Enhancements” tab.
- Check “Equalizer” and try different presets in the “Tuning” list. Or press the three dot button to adjust the equalizer manually.
Where to find the equalizer in macOS
- Start iTunes.
- On the top panel select “Window” → “Equalizer”.
- Try different sets of settings, or adjust the sliders manually.
The settings will take effect when playing files in iTunes. If you want an advanced equalizer for macOS with even more presets that can boost the sound in all programs, you can try Boom 2. The cheapest version of the app is for one Mac user and costs 10. It is free for 7 days.
Also, many players have built-in equalizers. Use them if the system one doesn’t suit you.
Replace your audio device
If none of these things work, the playback device (the built-in speakers, external speakers, or headphones) could be the cause of the quiet sound. If it used to work fine, but then suddenly became too quiet, take it to a service center. If the device has never had a high volume, try replacing it with a more powerful headset or speakers.
Increase speaker volume
The most trivial thing to do first: make sure your phone is not muted. You may have accidentally set it to “Silent” or “Do Not Disturb”.
When adjusting volume with the side buttons, three sliders appear: ringtone, alarm clock, and multimedia. Users often confuse these modes and lower the sound to the exact function they wanted.
If the speaker still sounds too quiet, it may have been damaged. To check its status use the test, which is located in the special engineering menu. This menu is hidden from normal users, so there are two ways to get into it:
In any case you will see a gray screen with five buttons:
We are interested in the “Single item test” section. As the name implies, in this item you can test a particular option. Go to this section and look for the “Receiver” button which stands for the main speaker. Once you press the button, the phone will play a test tune, after which you’ll know if the speaker works or if it sounds too quiet.
To check the status of the speaker, press the “Speaker” button
Once upon a time the engineering menu allowed you to manually adjust the volume, but on the newer firmware (starting with MIUI 9.2) you can only test the status of the speaker, and understand whether it works properly, or the sound is reduced due to some technical or operational reasons.
Interestingly enough, sometimes on flagship devices, speaker volume can be reduced due to legal restrictions.
The thing is that some European countries strictly control the permissible level of noise produced. Thus, Xiaomi can’t sell its smartphones in these countries if the sound of the speaker is too strong.
Nevertheless, getting around this strange limitation can be very simple:
Check the volume: if it has increased, change the time zone and use the phone as usual.
On smartphones that have a face unlock feature, changing the region may not affect the volume increase.
Causes of volume problems on Huawei phones
Let’s list a few common reasons that affect the quality and presence or absence of sound on a mobile device:
- The phone is connected via Bluetooth to another device through which sound is played.
- The app that controls the volume is not running in the main, but in the background.
- Do Not Disturb mode is on.
- Technical faulty speakers (or headphones if you prefer to use them).
It’s worth checking each of the above items to make sure there’s nothing technically wrong with the phone.
How to increase the volume on your headphones on PC
When connecting headphones to PC the sound is not always full sound. Turn up the volume on your headphones on the computer running Windows 10, if after updating or reinstalling Windows the sound in your “ears” is quiet or gone completely? Or if the PC software is not installed, for example
You will have to “investigate” and find out why your gadget doesn’t want to play music loudly, at full volume.
- Click on the icon at the bottom of the laptop or computer screen and set the volume to the desired level.
- If the plug is loose in the jack, choose a “socket” that matches the size of the tip.
- Plug the headphone cable into the computer until it clicks, make sure the appropriate icon appears in the tray.
- Raise the volume to the desired maximum.
You can also resort to installing special applications.
- Hear 1.0. a kind of amplifier that can improve your phonation during games, movies, music playback. Equipped with a built-in equalizer, located for the introduction of a virtual subwoofer, 3D sound settings and the quality of phonation in headphones produced by JBL, Hoco and others, or in the speakers.
- Sound Booster is designed to enhance sound in headphones and other devices from a single window.
- DFX Audio Enhancer. improving the sound individually for players, browsers, players, etc.
The cause of the barely audible sound in the ear gadget can be a outdated sound card software. You can install the latest drivers like this:
- Download from the official website and install.
- Press WINR combination, go to “Device Manager”, enter the tab with “Sound, video and gaming devices. Double-click on the sound card, then click on “Driver” tab in the window that appears. Click on “Update driver” and in the update manager specify: “Automatic driver search”. Windows will find and install the latest drivers.
- You can use the application DriverPack Solution. with the permission of the user scans the operating system, searches for expired drivers and implement new ones.
When using on a PC, for example, Realtek drivers you can install High Definition Audio Device or others instead of updating the same ones.
In quality and expensive headphones such as Apple EarPods rarely break after a short period of use. If you buy headphones of dubious brands you risk to get a poorly assembled device with poor quality sound, brittle cord and disposable speakers.
Pay your attention to an accessory of proven brands, with a warranty and instruction manual. Or buy yourself a few “Chinese” headphones.
Important! Manufacturing defects are usually difficult or impossible to fix, and sometimes simply unprofitable in terms of time and money.
Amplifying sound with codecs
Very often when installing drivers manually or automatically there is a special software. codecs.
K-lite codec pack
One of the most common and commonly used audio and video codecs is “K-lite codec pack”.
If you already have one installed, great if not, then it’s easy to find it on the internet.
It is an omnivorous player that even plays DVDs in Windows.
In order to adjust the “K-lite codec pack”, you should run a silent movie in the program.
Then, in the tray next to the clock, open the blue codec icon, which is responsible for configuring the audio, double-click on it and then the menu will open.
Here we go to the tab “Volume” and check the “NORMAL”. “REGIN VOLUME” and “SHOW CURENT VOLUME.
Pull the “MASTER VOLUME” sliders all the way to the right.
This method is one of the most common and easy to use but it is not limited to.
In addition, below are several programs to increase the volume of your computer or laptop.
Causes of noise and hissing in headphones on your computer
In order to determine why the headphones have crackling or started making other unpleasant sounds, study common problems.
Driver and software failures
PC operation is impossible without control programs, drivers. The malfunction in their work is a common cause of extraneous sounds in Bluetooth headphones. To correct the problem will help to adjust, update the driver, using the programs of the manufacturer of the device.
To check if you have the latest version of the sound driver on your computer, you need to:
- Go to “My Computer” and select the section with the device managers.
- Select the section with sound, video and gaming devices in the window that appears.
- Identify the sound card.
If there is an exclamation mark near the sound card the driver must be updated. But even if there is no warning, it is recommended that the program be reinstalled.
To update the driver on the PC, you should click on the name of the sound card PCM. Then select upgrade and wait for the wizard to automatically find the updated drivers on the Internet. To configure the program on your laptop or computer, also use DriverPack Solution.
The internal components of the laptop/computer are humming
Squeaking, crackling, and noise in headphones is often related to computer components. To determine the cause, perform a turn-by-turn shutdown:
Faulty sound jack
If you connect the headphones through a cable to another device, such as a phone, and the extraneous sounds are no longer there, the quality is restored. then the causes of the computer.
First you need to check the condition of the connectors, connect the headphones to each of them.
- Carelessly unplugging the cord;
- The contacts are poorly soldered;
- Internal shielding of the wires is broken;
- The plug does not go all the way into the jack. There are models with a 1 mm gap in the plug.
PCs have two audio inputs: one on the front and one on the back. If the sound in the headphones deteriorates with contact with one of the connectors, you should use the defective version.
Sound card malfunction
The condition of the sound card affects the quality of music playback. If the part malfunctions, the computer will not be able to transmit audio signals, so instead of normal sound:
The only way to solve the problem is to replace the faulty element and then there will be no background noise.
The malfunction of drivers and software can be corrected
Noise in headphones (on Windows 10 or earlier) may be caused by incorrect software or drivers. First of all, it is worth finding out whether the headphones hiss only in a particular situation (when listening to music through a particular player, for example) or all the time. If it is only in one program, of course, check the settings of that application, you can contact Support.
If you have interference in the headphones while running any program on your computer, it is worth checking the drivers for sound. Control Panel. Device Manager (in Windows 10 just type in the search bar), find your sound card.
If there is an exclamation mark next to it, then update the drivers. Right click on the line. context menu. If automatic update does not work, go to the site of your audio card manufacturer (for example, Realtek), download the necessary ones, and update forcibly. Before doing so it is worth removing all of the available drivers for sound and you can generally remove the device from the manager.
It is possible to update the drivers even if the exclamation mark is absent. Sometimes it helps. In addition, you can update drivers with the help of special software, which analyzes the system and can download the necessary drivers, if necessary. For example, IObit Driver Booster.
Extraneous noise in the headphones on the laptop can be caused by the power saving mode. If it is turned on, the sound card at some point may not have enough power, the built-in amplifier will not work properly, and so on.
Control Panel. System and Security. Power. Choose “High performance”, reboot the computer (just in case, not necessary) and listen if the crackling disappears. If it is not gone, return balanced. Saving.
In terms of software settings there is another option. BIOS update. Sometimes the hissing in the headphones on the PC is due to the BIOS and the peculiarities of a particular version of the shell.
High volume on low-quality speakers
Volume over 50% on inexpensive low-quality speakers (and headphones) may well be the cause of noise (they say that the speakers begin to “hum”).
In general, all the speakers and headphones are humming. It is true that better speakers (and usually more expensive), produce clearer sound even at high volume, and hum only at maximum. While the cheap ones. when the volume reaches average values.
Pay attention to the volume (Volume)
Also pay attention to the microphone. If you have loud speakers and a microphone running, you may experience a closed “ring” effect.
Power save mode for the computer
In Windows, you can choose several modes of operation with regard to the electric power mode. Initially, the operating system works according to a balanced power supply scheme. With it, at low loads on the hardware blocks, it is possible to reduce electricity consumption. This option is optimal for laptops. As for the desktop computer, it does not matter in its work, as it works with a constant connection to the network. But if this mode is still enabled, then some of his devices can work in a sparing mode, and this can entail such a problem as noise in headphones.
How to turn up the volume on headphones on a PC
When you connect your headphones to your PC, the sound doesn’t always come out full-sounding. Make your headphones louder on a Windows 10 PC if the sound in your “ears” became quiet or disappeared altogether after updating or reinstalling Windows? Or, for example, you don’t have a program installed on your PC
It is necessary to conduct an “investigation” and find out why the gadget does not want to play music loudly, at full power.
- Click on the special icon at the bottom of the laptop, PC screen and set the desired volume level.
- If the plug is loose in the connector, choose a “socket” that matches the size of the tip.
- Plug the headphone cable into the computer until you click, make sure the corresponding icon appears in the tray.
- Raise the volume to the desired maximum.
You can also resort to the installation of special applications.
- Hear 1.DFX Audio Enhancer is a kind of amplifier which can improve the sound during games, movies, music playback. Equipped with a built-in equalizer, located to introduce a virtual subwoofer, 3D sound settings and the quality of the phonation in headphones produced by JBL, Hoco and others, or in the speakers.
- Sound Booster is designed to boost sound in headphones and other devices from a single window.
- DFX Audio Enhancer is an individual sound enhancement for players, browsers, media players, etc.
The cause of a barely audible sound in your in-ear gadget may be the outdated sound card software. You can install the latest drivers as follows:
- Download from official site and install.
- Press WINR combination, go to “Device Manager”, enter the tab with “Sound, video and gaming devices. Double-click on the sound card, then select “Driver” in the window that appears. Click “Update driver” and in the update manager specify: “Automatic driver search”. Windows will find and install the latest drivers by itself.
- You can use DriverPack Solution application. with the user’s permission the operating system will be scanned for expired drivers and new ones will be installed.
If you use, for example, Realtek drivers on your PC, you can not update the same drivers but install High Definition Audio Device or others.
How to fix if one earphone is quieter than the other
Above are detailed instructions for solving problems with sound. Now briefly about what to do in this or that situation:
|The reason||The solution is|
|The diaphragm mesh is clogged||Put the earpiece in water so that the speaker does not touch moisture. Flush the mesh and let it dry;|
|The wire is damaged||Assess the degree of damage. If the contact has come loose, move the wire and plug. If the contact is broken, take the gadget to the service center;|
|Water intruded||Place the headphones next to a heating radiator or in a bag of rice and wait for it to dry completely;|
|Software reason||Adjust the sound balance on your computer or smartphone. If that doesn’t help, then update the drivers.|