IOS 12 boasts a host of awesome features (a detailed review), such as memoji, FaceTime group calls, enhanced notifications, etc. However, the main changes in performance are hidden “under the hood”, which is especially noticeable if you install iOS 12 on the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6.
During the presentation of its new mobile OS at WWDC, Apple brought some noteworthy facts about the operation of iOS 12 on the iPhone 6 Plus. According to Cupertinians, after installing the new OS on the iPhone 6 Plus:
- Applications run 40% faster;
- The keyboard works 50% faster;
- The gesture of turning on the camera from the lock screen is 70% faster.
The above numbers are very impressive, but the iPhone 6 Plus is still not the oldest device on which you can install a new OS. As it turned out, iOS 12 can even work on the iPhone 5S.
But did the OS really work faster?
Ars Technica compared the performance of four versions of iOS. 10.3.3, 11.0, 11.4.1 and 12 on older Apple smartphones and tablets. IPhone 5s, iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2.
How much iOS 12 was faster than iOS 11.4.1 on iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2
As you can see, according to the test results, iOS 12 is ahead of even the “reference” version 10.3.3!
- For example, if on the iPhone 5s the Safari browser with the “ten” opened in 1.2 seconds, then in the “twelfth” the same figure dropped to 1.15 seconds. And compared to version 11.4.1, the performance increase was an impressive 20%. 1.15 seconds versus 1.44 seconds! In general, all 5s system applications. Camera, Settings, Mail, Messages, Maps, Notes. Running iOS 12 run at least 10 percent faster. Yes, often we are talking about tenths of a second. But the fact that the old hardware now works, albeit not by much, but faster, can not but rejoice.
- The same story happened with the iPhone 6 Plus. Performance gains also ranged from 10 to 15%, and the time for “cold” start-up was reduced by a few seconds.
- IPad Mini 2 also added. In different applications from 7 to 14%, and this is the most modest “performance” among all three devices.
So, with iOS 12, Apple returned the performance of its devices to the 2016 reference level. This achievement deserves respect even more when you understand that for devices like the iPhone 5s and iPad Mini 2, the hardware is clearly not up to date. But now it will be possible to use them with greater comfort than before, so the update to iOS 12 is quite capable of extending the term of use of old devices by at least another one year.
In this case, do not forget that iOS 12 improves only certain aspects of the behavior of programs. Boot time and navigation around the system. Games that “slowed down” on older iPhones and iPads will “slow down” in iOS 12 as well, because such performance problems are already associated with outdated hardware, which simply cannot offer enough performance for smooth operation.
Did you like iOS 12, friends? Do you notice that the system has become faster on older devices?