What To Do If Your TV Doesn’t Show
Nowadays, a rare person does without a TV. Each year, the models are becoming thinner, larger and offer more and more new and new features. Modern plasma panels with Smart TV technology have little in common with devices that were sold some ten years ago. However, the same thing remains between the old and new generation. Breakdowns and malfunctions still happen. The reasons for this can be very different: shock, fall, moisture and direct sunlight or elementary marriage. In this article, we will consider in detail what to do if the TV has lost an image, but there is sound. Let’s get it right. Go!
What to do if there is no picture on the TV
First, it should be noted that such a malfunction occurs quite often in a variety of TV brands. Televisions of all brands are equally affected by this: Samsung, LG, Philips, Sony, Panasonic and many others. Therefore, it makes no sense to blame the manufacturer.
There are many reasons for the lack of an image on the screen, and it is unlikely that you will be able to determine it yourself by eye. Most likely, you still have to contact a service center or another repair service. It all depends on the nature of the problem. On this below.
It happens that when you turn on the TV, the first screen saver appears with the manufacturer’s logo (LG, Samsung, Philips, and so on), after which the screen simply goes blank. In doing so, you can switch channels and hear sound. Some users noticed that after a while the image appears, but when you turn it on again, everything repeats and the picture is missing. In this case, try the following tips:
- Check the connection of the receiver cord, as it could disconnect. Make sure the cord is connected securely. If there is no video signal from the set-top box, many televisions simply blank the screen.
- Also, the problem may be in the cable itself. The wire may be damaged or simply turn out to be of poor quality. This concerns not only HDMI cables, but also cables with “bells”. In them, the transmission of the audio signal and the video signal occurs on separate wires, and the problem may lie simply in a broken wire or poor contact. In some cases, replacing the wire allows you to correct the situation.
- Check the power cable. It must also be securely connected.
- Some users have found a rather original way to solve the problem. To increase the volume to maximum (or close to it). After a few seconds, the image will appear and then you can set an acceptable volume level.
Please note that all the tips above will only help if the screen is working. This is indicated by the screen saver when you turn on the TV. If the screen saver is missing and the screen is constantly dark, this already indicates that some component of the TV responsible for the image has failed.
There are several components whose failure can cause the absence of a picture on the screen. Quite often there is a breakdown of the inverter, which supplies voltage to the backlight. The lamps themselves can also fail, and this, in turn, provokes a breakdown in the power supply. In addition to the above malfunctions, a matrix or system board breakdown is often found. Also, the problem may lie in the loops, converter and decoder. In this case, non-working parts and elements will have to be replaced with new ones.
Doing repairs yourself is not recommended, since modern TVs are quite sophisticated devices, and you risk aggravating the situation even more. If the above simple tips did not help, then the best solution is to contact the professionals, since it will take to disassemble the TV. This can be a service center of a manufacturing company or a private office, where repairs will be carried out efficiently and promptly.
One way or another, it is impossible to determine the cause of the failure of your TV without a thorough inspection. In any case, the device must be disassembled and diagnosed for non-working parts and components. This is best done in a workshop with appropriate conditions, however, if you do not like this option, then many telemasters provide all these services at home.
Of course, replacing some parts can cost a pretty penny, but it should be noted that the matrices or motherboards themselves fail extremely rarely. Typically, a breakdown occurs as a result of physical damage to the part, for example, when the TV falls or moisture gets in. In general, you can’t do without a telemaster.
Now you know what to do if the TV has lost the image, but there is sound. You will also understand what could be the reason for this malfunction. Write in the comments whether this article was useful to you, share your experience with other users in resolving similar situations, and ask any questions of interest to the topic of this article.
Video: What To Do If Your TV Doesn’t Show
Today, almost any television panel can connect a personal computer or laptop. The connection of technology occurs through the HDMI connector. But often, users are faced with such a problem that the computer does not see the TV through the HDMI input or there is no sound. There are several reasons why such problems occur, so you need to identify the problem in sequence. Read also which cable to choose to connect the TV.
Device Connection Methods
Connecting a computer or laptop to the TV can occur in various ways:
- VGA or D-Sud cable. Almost all monitors, PCs and TVs have such a connector. This is an analog connection that will not best transmit all the nuances of video files.
- DVI modern option. It can work with analog and digital devices. Has its own subclasses.
- S-video. In addition to it, you will have to purchase an adapter.
- RCA or tulips. The connection of a laptop and a TV using this method is rare.
- Scart. A popular way, since such a connector is in modern TV models.
- HDMI cable. A good option for connecting a computer.
The HDMI connector on a TV is usually located at the back or side. The computer almost immediately after the connection starts to see another device, but there may be problems that there is no image or other errors. At the same time, this is the most proven and common way to connect a laptop to a TV. See also how to connect your Xbox to your TV.
Common Causes of Connection Failure
If the TV does not see the laptop, and the connection is completed, then the reasons may be the following:
- The cable is not connected correctly or it is defective.
- Monitor settings error.
- Incorrect operation of a laptop or PC video card.
- The settings are not configured on the TV itself or any other brand.
Let us examine in more detail why the TV does not see HDMI and the second device through it.
Equipment Verification Steps
- First of all, you need to check the quality of the wiring and the condition of the connectors.
- Next, you need to check the correctness of computer settings.
- Then, driver updates and video card settings are checked.
- Launch an antivirus program for scanning malware.
- Port check. It is recommended that you connect to another device.
If the TV connected to the PC suddenly stops working, and until that moment everything was set up correctly, it means the cable has come off or it has been interrupted. The first option is more common, as you can hook the adapter, just by passing. But the second one is less, since the optimal length of the HDMI cable is not so large as to lie on the floor and fall under someone’s heavy leg.
In any case, if there is no image, first of all check whether the connectors are fully inserted into both devices. And are there any foreign objects on the adapter itself. You can also try installing another cable to make sure that this error is absent. See also why the TV does not connect Wi-Fi.
When the TV does not see the laptop via HDMI immediately after connecting the equipment, it is most likely incorrect to select the signal source on the TV itself.
If there is no signal from the computer, then on the remote control from the TV you should find the “input”, “source” or “Imput” button, maybe “HDMI” is written directly on the TV from LG. Go to the window that opens and there, in the list of active inputs, select the one you need. Confirm the action by clicking on “OK”.
If the equipment still does not connect after the operations done, we will carry out the diagnostics further.
After making sure that the signal from the TV is on the right track, we proceed to the screen diagnostics of the laptop or PC, or rather, the settings. Any user with basic knowledge of their computer can conduct them:
- Point the mouse at any free space on the screen and click on the right button.
- In the list that appears, select “Screen Resolution” or “Graphic Characteristics” depending on the type of OS.
- Choose the appropriate option for displaying pictures on TV. The device passport has a valid permission, stick to it.
On the laptop to do everything easier. Press the “Fm” and F4 buttons at the same time, hold until the optimal option is selected. After that, the laptop will connect to the TV correctly and the error that there is no image will go away.
Graphics card error
Another reason why the device connection does not work is the incorrect functioning of the PC video card. In this case, the laptop does not see another device or does not display an image on it.
To eliminate it, you need to try to install new drivers that are in the global network for each device model. Sometimes it may be necessary to completely reinstall or replace an item.
The last thing that may be the reason that the image via HDMI is not coming to the TV is a broken port. For diagnostics, check operability using other adapters. If the devices become visible, the error lay precisely in this.
If all the manipulations did not bring the proper result, then it is recommended to check the signal using other connection options.
Verification is performed as follows:
- Disconnect the equipment from the network.
- Connect the computer and the HDMI screen to the wire.
- Turn on the TV and press the “Sourse” key.
- In the column that appears, select the operating mode of the HDMI, click “OK.”
- Turn on the computer: while loading the OS, if everything is done, the TV screen and monitor will broadcast identical information.
- In the event that the signal does not appear, then you need to go to the “Device Manager”, are there any more connectors available for connection.
7. For example, if VGA is available, then you need to perform the same algorithm of actions, only in the settings to set the appropriate mode.
If even after these actions the equipment did not start to work, then most likely the problem is internal damage.
Thus, the computer may not see the TV via the HDMI cable for various reasons that can be diagnosed and eliminated at home without special knowledge in the field of modern technology. Read also how to make a TV from a computer monitor.