The most attentive users of iOS devices must have noticed a new item in the settings of the operating system. ICloud Media Library (Settings-iCloud-Photo) The most risky and advanced ones are already taking advantage of this innovation from Apple, despite the fact that the iCloud Media Library is still in beta status! It works fine now, but will be released from beta status in the final version of iOS 8.3.
What is iCloud Media Library?
What will change in the life of a user if he turns it on on his device? I will write everything point by point, so that everything falls on the shelves in the minds of readers.
1. ICloud Music Library lets you store all your photos and video in iCloud Drive. The key word here is “All”! Let me remind you that by default the system uses a photo stream that stores only the last 1000 photos in the cloud. Also the important word “video”- until this was stored exclusively on the device on which it was shot.
2. The user has the opportunity to store thumbnails of photos and optimizeds on the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and Mac. Due to this, the user can free up a significant amount of space on their devices. Especially the savings will be noticeable with a large number of photos ands. But this savings has its minus. about it below.
3. If you transfer all your iDevices to the iCloud library, you will get all the benefits of synchronizing with the cloud (iCloud Drive). Photos and changes to them will appear on all your devices, that is, you have a single media library. A scheme like this: “took a picture on an iPad, edited it on a Mac, posted it on Instagram with an iPhone” will finally work as it should!
4. Due to the fact that an unlimited number of photos will be stored in the cloud, most likely free 5 gigabytes will not be enough for the user. The user will have to switch to paid tariffs. Now the cost of 20 gigabytes in iCloud Drive is only 39 rubles per month. This is not enough and most users of this amount of gigabytes are enough for the eyes. If not, then the tariffs are more expensive and more serious at your service.
Five. In the Photo program, instead of two albums, Film Roll and My Photo Stream, a single album “All Photos” will appear.
6. The music library is available through iCloud.com anywhere in the world.
How to enable iCloud Media Library?
Before turning on your music library, you need to make sure that the iCloud tariff plan allows you to switch to the iCloud library without any problems. Here you must soberly evaluate the place that your photos ands in the cloud will take. If you have 10 thousand photos on the iPad and in iCloud 3 gigabytes are free (see Settings. iCloud- Storage), it’s understandable that all your good will not fit into the cloud. Try either deleting some of the media or increasing your plan.
Users of OS X should be especially careful. In Yosemite version 10.10.3, the “Photos” program has appeared. If you enable iCloud Media Library there, then the current iCloud tariff plan may not be enough. For example, my computer library takes up more than 150 gigabytes. Perhaps it makes sense to store a computer media library in some other cloud.
Next, turn on the iCloud Media Library switch (Settings-iCloud-Photo) and connect your iPad (iPhone or iPod Touch) to a power source. If you have a Wi-Fi network, all Photos ands will begin to flood into the cloud. The speed of this procedure depends on the speed of the outgoing traffic of your Internet connection and the size of your library.
To avoid problems, I recommend connecting your devices to iCloud Media Library one at a time. We turned it on on one, waited until the data merged into the cloud, checked that everything was fine and took on the next device. Firstly, you won’t win in speed anyway (your outgoing channel is not rubber). Secondly, beta status implies the possibility of unforeseen errors. Yes, and in the final version I would recommend being safe.
Also consciously select one of two options:
– Download with saving the original (if you need a photo in the original resolution on the device).
The option “Upload to My Photo Stream” is better left on. Not manually upload new pictures to the cloud.
The parameter “iCloud Photo Sharing” is also left on. Shared photo streams are convenient. Try sometime.
Delete photos (or) in iCloud Media Library takes place in two stages.
1. Delete pictures on one of the devices. It ends up in the Recently Deleted Items folder. After 30 days, the photo will be deleted from there automatically.
2. If you don’t want to wait 30 days, you can also delete the picture from the Recently Deleted album. The photo will finally disappear from all devices, as well as from iCloud Media Library.
How to disable iCloud Media Library?
Just turn off this item in the settings of all devices that are connected to your library. But within 30 days all photos ands will be stored in the cloud, from where they can be downloaded through the site.
Disadvantages of iCloud Media Library
At the moment, the library has more advantages than the old scheme with a photo stream. But there are also small cons. For example:
A) the user is actually forced to switch to a paid tariff. Well, either you need to constantly clean your media library.
B) the presence of a single library is not always convenient in itself.
Draw your own conclusions! To connect or not to connect the iCloud library. The user decides. I described the features in detail. If you have any questions or impressions. Write comments! 🙂
ICloud Media Library What is it? How to use ?: 29 comments
The mail-ru cloud provides 25 GB free, also available anywhere in the world. Although before they gave 1TB and 100 GB for free. I managed to grab 1TB at the time, it is a pity I managed to get only 1 cloud, but it is quite enough. Few could provide such a volume, and even for free.
Well, a cloud on Mail is just a cloud on Mail. It has nothing to do with the media library 🙂 There is no alternative. You cannot pick up a third-party cloud in your iCloud library.
I also snatched 1 TB for free
1. And what is the point of iCloud, if not in storing photos and other files?
2. Why pay an inadequate price for iCloud, if there is a free analogue?
PS: On iOS8 I just tried this media library, and even then forgot to disconnect. I didn’t really like it, because the place quickly filled up and constant messages started popping up. I had to do it, because I did not immediately understand how to turn it off and so that messages would not come. Because iCloud was full.
Maybe someone is comfortable, but not for me;))
Well, iCloud is not only a photo: it is a backup of information (contact information, programs, settings, etc.), synchronization between devices. The search and remote control system for i-devices is also iCloud.
As for the photo, I have not been using this feature for a long time, since there is really little space (free). It is a pity that you cannot connect other cloud services to this action.
Of course, it’s very convenient when you shoot on an iPhone, and photos can immediately be opened on the Mac. When I tried it, it seemed to me magic. BUT! I’ll tell you why I use the same cloud from Mail, and not iCloud. I take pictures and shoot on an iPhone (32 GB) and the photo flies into the cloud. If this is some kind of event, the place on the phone quickly runs out and of course I want to delete photos from the iPhone (to take new ones), but so that they remain in the cloud. And this can not be done by default. You delete from the phone, deleted from the cloud, and vice versa. How is it possible to save space on the iPhone. It is not clear? Of course, a little bit can be done by optimizing storage (cutting the quality of pictures), but just a little bit. In my opinion, it would be much more convenient to save all the functionality of the apple cloud and, for example, to make it possible to create some kind of folder in the cloud, where by throwing pictures they will be saved there, even if they are removed from the iPhone. At this same stage, Mail.Ru drives the cloud: I photograph several dozen images, open the Cloud Mail.Ru application. In a couple of seconds the photos automatically fly there, the originals can be deleted from the phone and further taken.
In fact, an excellent comment that made me think about a third-party cloud yesterday. At least I drove tested different clouds and this scheme works (somewhere worse, somewhere better). I myself am not so comfortable, but someone like you, for example, likes it. I think in a separate article I will talk about this.
What’s the point of optimization if just a little bit? And if I have a photo on 300, and a disk on a poppy on 128? Why does the photo in the browser version of the dropbox, for example, really not take up space, but the photo takes? Is it weird?
I agree that synchronization of all data is convenient. But since minus iCloud is a small disk in the free version, I solve it like this:
1. Contact information. ICloud and mainly Gmail (more convenient in terms of synchronization of iOS / android / PC devices).
2. Programs on iOS. Enough free space on icloud. But for me, this is generally superfluous.
3. Settings. May not have encountered such problems yet.
4. Basically, this is a disk for storing photo and materials, and documents. And for this, Mail / Google drives are much more convenient. I even read somewhere that Chinese clouds provide even more space. I use different drives (mail / google / yandex) on the subject of stored data. There is a mobile application for everyone, which is very convenient. ICloud is another way to pull money from users. And well, there would be no alternatives, but they are already starting to ask for money with 5 GB or more. And with the current amount of information, this is from almost every first :))
A good attempt at a bullseye. Nice try. But I stay at 6.1.3