To use your smartphone that is running Windows Phone effectively, upgrade it to the latest version of the OS. The answer to the question: how to upgrade your phone to Windows Phone 10 quickly and correctly, you will find in this article.
What phones support?
The easiest way to find out if your device supports installing Windows 10 Mobile is to download the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview application on the official website. As soon as the model receives support for the latest version of the OS, download it by logging in with your Microsoft account.
HTC One (M8) for Windows, LG Lancet, Lumia 430, Lumia 435, Lumia 520, Lumia 521, Lumia 525, Lumia 526, Lumia 530, Lumia 532, Lumia 535, Lumia 540, Lumia 550, Lumia 620, Lumia 625, Lumia 630, Lumia 635, Lumia 636, Lumia 638, Lumia 640, Lumia 640 XL, Lumia 720, Lumia 730, Lumia 735, Lumia 810, Lumia 820, Lumia 822, Lumia 830, Lumia 920, Lumia 925, Lumia 928, Lumia 930, Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, Lumia 1020, Lumia 1320, Lumia 1520, Lumia Icon.
The gadget must have at least 8 GB of free internal memory, as well as the Windows Phone 8.1 assembly. 10.10.14219.341 or earlier. If your model is not in this list, it may appear in it in the future, because Microsoft is trying to make the new OS available to everyone.
If you do not want to wait until your device receives support for the new OS, there are two ways to upgrade.
Universal for all Lumia
- Sign up for the Windows Insider program.
- Download and install the Windows Insider utility on your smartphone.
- On the XDA-Developers website, download and unzip WPInsidersHacks to your computer, and then run the utility.
- Connect the gadget to the Wi-Fi point to which the PC is connected. Network settings → Proxy → specify port 8877 and IP of the PC used.
- In the address bar of Internet Explorer running on the smartphone, enter: http: // IP_IP_Address: 8877.
- Confirm the installation of certificates of authenticity.
- Launch Windows Insider and select “Get preview builds” → indicate the action to be taken → accept the license agreement → after this the application will close.
- Delete the information in the previously completed Proxy and start Windows Insider.
- Click “Get preview builds” → Insider Fast → the device will reboot.
- Go to settings and check for available updates → download and install them.
The update process is presented graphically.
Alternative for Lumia with a memory card
This method is suitable for smartphones with a memory card installed but without access to a Wi-Fi network.
- Download the ISO-image of Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 from the official website (there should be 11 GB of free space on the PC hard drive).
- Download and unzip files to your PC: CustomPFD (1drv.Ms/1AtmEpD) and CustomWPSystem (1drv.Ms/1AtmI8B).
- Move CustomPFD_003.Xap to the memory card.
- Utilities must be installed on the smartphone: Preview for Developers (on the memory card) and Windows Insider.
- Launch Visual Studio → connect the smartphone via USB cable.
- Visual Studio. Tools. Windows Phone 8.1. Developer Unlock. Register.
Smartphone registry editing
- Run Preview for developers. HKLMSYSTEMPlatformDeviceTargetingInfo. PhoneManufactrerModelName key. write the current value. specify a new RM-976_1161. Write.
- Branch HKLMSYSTEMPlatformDeviceTargetingInfo → PhoneFirmwareRevision → specify 02040.00019.14484.24002.
- Branch HKLMSYSTEMPlatformDeviceTargetingInfo. PhoneMobileOperatorName. specify 000-PL.
- Check for updates in Windows Insider → select Insider Fast → install Windows 10 Mobile in your smartphone’s settings.
Users praise the latest version of the OS from Microsoft. But due to the fact that for most devices it is only offered as an insider assembly, sometimes problems arise with the stability of the system.