TV Does Not Connect to the Internet
There are 10 basic ways to restore WiFi on modern TVs. Most of them are related to the correction of wireless settings. The necessary parameters on Samsung, LG, Panasonic and Sony devices can be changed at home, without contacting a service center.
Let’s take a look at all the main ways to fix configuration errors:
1. Reboot the TV and router
The first steps to take if WiFi does not work on the TV is to reboot the Smart TV and the router. A malfunction can be programmatic in nature and can be easily corrected by reinitializing device drivers. To restart the TV, turn it off and on again. Some experts also recommend removing the plug from the electrical outlet and then reinserting it. This tip makes sense for those TVs that remain connected to the local network even after turning off the screen.
During the reboot of the router, you must wait 10-20 seconds between turning it off and on. During this time, the previous Internet session will be closed on the provider’s side. Therefore, the connection will be made again, with the settings reset to zero. When the Smart TV and the router turn on again, try connecting WiFi.
2. Manual indication of connection data
Using the built-in Smart TV menu, go to the WiFi connection settings. Select the manual mode for specifying settings if the DHCP server is disabled on the router, and the connection with automatic parameter detection does not work. In the line “IP address”, enter any IP from the local range. The valid start and end addresses are available for clarification in the admin panel of the router.
In the “Subnet mask” field, you must specify which part of the IP range will be used to address clients on the local network. The frequent value of this parameter is 255.255.255.0. In the “Gateway” line, enter the IP address of the router, which is used to enter the settings.
3. Resolving DNS Server Errors
This method is especially relevant for Samsung TVs. Access to the Internet and multimedia content through the Smart Hub is difficult when Samsung’s servers are overloaded. When specifying your DNS server addresses, connection to Internet resources will be made directly, without using the infrastructure of the manufacturer.
Addresses of DNS servers are specified in the support of the provider. You can also use the free public DNS. This service is provided by Google, Yandex, OpenDNS. For example, to use Google’s address servers, just enter the IP of the primary server: 184.108.40.206 and the secondary: 220.127.116.11. If there is no text field for entering an alternative server, enter only the first address in the DNS settings.
4. Using a different method of connecting to WiFi
If you made a connection by manually entering the password for the wireless network, try connecting through WPS. WiFi Protected Setup technology allows you to activate the quick connection mode in the TV settings. After that, a similar mode must be activated on the router. This is done through the control panel or a special button on the back of the case.
To enter the router’s web interface, turn the device over and look for the login sticker. It is usually located on the bottom and indicates the standard IP address, username and password. Enter the IP in any browser and enter the account information available on the sticker. Then go to the WPS section and activate this feature. A quick connection will be available within 1-2 minutes.
In the case when the WPS protocol was used initially, but at the moment it is not possible to establish a connection, enter the information in manual mode. When connecting to a hidden network, you will need to specify not only the access key, but also the name WiFi (SSID). Televisions with earlier firmware versions do not always support the search for hidden networks. Therefore, before updating the software, it is recommended to remove the hiding of the network name in the router settings.
5. Reset TV
A quick way, which in some cases helps to solve problems with WiFi on Smart TV, is to restore factory settings. Before executing it, it is advisable to rewrite the values of the main parameters that are not connected to the network. After the reset, you can return them based on the recorded information. Menu path for restoring factory settings on popular TV models:
- LG: “Settings.> Additionally.> Are common.> Reset to factory settings. “
- Samsung: “Support.> Self-diagnosis.> Reset. “
- Panasonic: “Installations.> System menu> Initial settings. “
6. Change the location of the router
Problems with the wireless network on the TV may be due to poor reception of the signal from the router. If possible, move the router closer to Smart TV and install it so that there is less interference in the path of radio waves. The main obstacles to signal transmission are walls, furniture, and household appliances.
Setting up an access point on a raised platform will help provide better WiFi connectivity. For example, you can put the router on a cabinet or hang it above the door. If you cannot transfer the router closer to the TV, connect a more powerful antenna to it. The higher the antenna gain, the better the network will work on Smart TV.
7. Finding problems with a WiFi router
Difficulty connecting to the wireless network may be due to incorrect router settings. To change them, go to the control panel. Go to the “DHCP” tab and make sure that the DHCP server is turned on and working properly. When you turn it off, the TV and other network devices will not automatically be assigned the local IP address. Normal routing and Internet access will not be possible.
Check the Security tab in the router settings. If client filtering by MAC address is enabled, disable it. On routers ASUS, TP-Link, D-Link, Huawei and some other manufacturers, the MAC address of any device can be added to the “white list”. In the future, the connections of devices from this list will not be blocked, so the normal operation of WiFi on the TV will be restored.
The MAC address of the Smart TV is specified in the settings. The exact path differs depending on the brand, on most televisions of popular manufacturers, the necessary information is in the menu:
- Samsung: “Support.> Contact Samsung.> Arrow to down.> MAC wireless interface. “
- LG: “Setup.> Support.> Product Information. “
- Philips: “Installation.> Manual network setup.> View network settings.> Start”.
8. TV firmware update
Smart TV firmware needs a timely update. Errors can accumulate during operation, resulting in difficulties when connecting to the Internet via WiFi. Depending on the TV model, the update can be done in several ways:
Video: TV Does Not Connect to the Internet
- Through a wireless network;
- Using cable Internet;
- Via an external USB drive (USB flash drive or hard disk).
If WiFi on Smart TV does not work, use the second or third option to download the new software version. Detailed instructions for updating the software are usually posted on the website of the company that released the TV. The possible names for the section you need are: Help, Support, or Help Center.
During the operation of the utility, it is important not to disconnect or de-energize the device. Any interruption may affect the future functionality of Smart TV. Do not use third-party firmware to avoid loss of warranty service.
9. Replacing the WiFi adapter with an external one
This method does not help to fix the problems of the internal radio module. But if it is precisely because of them that connection errors occur, use an external device. The form factor of such a WiFi adapter resembles a regular USB flash drive. Like most other devices, it works when connected to a TV via USB.
There is another type of adapter for receiving WiFi on sale. They have an external multidirectional antenna that provides the best signal reception from the router. Such modules are recommended to be connected via a USB extension cable, placing them at a certain distance from the TV. Thanks to this connection, interference from a working Smart TV will be minimized, and the speed of data exchange will increase.
Training video: Connect the TV to the WI-FI network
10. Use of cable connection
Damage to the radio module on the TV is the main reason why the previous tips may not help to solve the problem. If you tried all the ways to solve the difficulties with WiFi, most likely there is a malfunction at the hardware level. It is recommended to take the device to a service center. Within the warranty period, the replacement of the WiFi module will be free of charge.
If it is not possible to take the device to the workshop, you can use the connection with a cable. To do this, insert one end of the power cord into the “LAN” port on the router, and connect the other to the TV. Routers usually have 2-4 Ethernet outputs; you can use any of them to connect a TV.
Why smart TV does not connect to wifi is a question that worries many owners of smart TV. The Smart TV option allows you to use the screen not only to watch programs and movies, but also to access the Internet. The most popular way to connect to the network is to use a wireless connection using Wi-Fi. This is one of the available options, as many companies produce panels already with an integrated module.
But there are often situations when a problem arises in the operation of a wireless connection. The TV cannot connect to wifi. Such a malfunction can happen both at the stage of setting up the equipment, and after some time. The reasons why such a malfunction occurs are varied: perhaps the plasma does not see the router, or maybe the problem is in the incorrect configuration of the equipment.
Before finding out the main reasons why the TV does not connect to the Internet via wifi, the user needs to make sure that there was no mistake in setting up the equipment. Read also about TVs with Wi-Fi.
Internet connection scheme, via wifi:
- Enable Wi-Fi adapter (connection must be active).
- Go to the menu section.
- Select “Network”, and then “Network Settings”, here you need to specify the type of connection (wireless).
- In the list that appears, select the desired signal and click “Next”.
- Enter an individual password.
- The operation to establish a connection will begin, and then click “OK”.
- The wireless network has been established.
If the connection failed, then you need to consider other possible causes of the malfunction.
Why can not connect to the Internet
The most common causes of malfunctions:
- Network hardware setup was not performed correctly.
- Incorrectly configured TV itself.
- The problem is not with the technology, but with the ISP.
- Software crash.
- Problems in the settings of the Smart Hub program.
How to troubleshoot
Each problem requires an individual approach, the following is a list of the most common problems and how to solve them.
- The screen does not see the device. Options for resolving this malfunction: turn off all equipment, and then turn it on; reset network settings and update software.
- Another wifi network is to go to the network settings section and specify the correct data.
- Problems in the work of DHCP. Turn off the monitor, and then manually drive in the network settings.
- TV panel malfunction. If there is a malfunction in the equipment, then you need to update the software.
Another factor that can cause problems with the Internet is interference from other devices. In order for the adapter to “wifi” without interference, it must be installed at the greatest possible distance from possible sources of interference: air conditioning, microwave, telephone.
Problems with the built-in module
First of all, the user needs to make sure that his monitor supports Wi-Fi connection. If the screen is not equipped with such a function, then you need to purchase an external network distributor. When buying, please note that the adapter must be compatible with the user’s TV model.
How to check the module for a malfunction: depending on the TV model, the scheme for determining the problem may differ slightly (Samsung TV is taken as an example).
Verification of the correct operation of the Wi-Fi module is carried out according to the following scheme:
- You need to find out if the plasma panel sees another Wi-Fi technique. This can be determined using a mobile phone that has access to wireless Internet. This way will help to understand if the adapter is working or not.
- Go to the main menu of the screen, select “Support”, then “Calling Samsung TV ». Then you need to look at the characters in the address column, if the address consists of zeros or dashes, this indicates that the module is not working.
If the module is functioning, then in this case, experts recommend resetting the network settings.
How to reset network settings
On Samsung screens, this operation is performed according to the following instruction:
- Connect the plasma panel to the network.
- In the main menu, perform the following operation: press the info key, then the menu button, then the power key.
- After this procedure, the television system will open access to the service menu.
- Select the Option section, and then press Enter.
- Go to Factory Reset.
- Close the menu and turn off the TV.
- Turn on the screen again, and re-configure the data (change the name, pin code).
If the procedure for resetting the network settings is not successful, then it is recommended to take two additional steps:
- Manually change the value of the DNS server. Before performing the procedure, disable the DHCP option on the router.
- Then, the following algorithm of actions is required: press Control Sub Option Mute Time, set the time to another channel 100 ms (automatic settings make the installation 600 ms).
In order for the smart TV to function well, it is necessary to update the software on time. Below are ways to install the latest firmware on the plasma of the most popular brands.
- Go to the official portal of LG.
- Enter the name of the screen model.
- Open the “Support” section.
- Then open the “Software” tab.
- From the presented list of software, select the newest.
- Click on the link, the download of the software to the personal computer will begin.
- Create a folder and give it a name, move the downloaded firmware file there
- Copy to a USB flash drive, and connect to a TV.
- The SMART TV system will make a request for the update procedure.
- Confirm action.
- The firmware update for the lg TV was successful.
- Go to the TV menu, select “Support”.
- Open the “Firmware Upgrade” section.
- Select the “Update Now” tab.
- The screen will begin checking for new software.
- If a new version is available, then click Yes.
- The TV will start the firmware update procedure.
- After the update, the device will reboot.
The algorithm for updating software using a flash drive:
- On the company’s website download the latest version.
- Format the media on the PC to the FAT32 system.
- Transfer data to a formatted drive.
- Click “Extract”.
- Unpacking the file begins.
- When the operation is completed, remove the USB flash drive.
- Connect the drive to the plasma panel connector.
- Go to the device menu.
- Select the Support section and then the tab “Software Update. ” If this tab is not active, then try again in a few minutes.
- Click “Update Now”
- You will be asked to check the software on the drive, confirm the action.
- The procedure for determining the firmware on a USB flash drive will begin.
- Click “Update”.
- The installation of new software will begin.
- After installation, the TV will automatically reboot.
This is the basic information why the TV does not connect to the Internet, and in what ways you can solve this problem. Read also how to set up Smart TV on Sony and Philips TVs.