There are several ways to transfer contacts from a phone to a SIM card. Most often, you can do with the built-in tools of the smartphone. that is, there is no need to install additional software. The methods for transferring contacts to a SIM card may differ depending on the version of Android installed on the phone.
Why transfer contacts to SIM?
Transferring contacts to the phone’s SIM card is convenient: after changing the mobile device to another, there will be no problems transferring numbers to the Android address book.
Instructions: how to transfer contacts to a SIM card in Android 9 OS
Transferring contacts to a SIM card in Android 9 is performed as follows:
- From the main screen you need to go to the address book using a special icon or through “Settings. Contacts”.
- Go to the Android settings menu, just click on the icon with three dots.
- A menu will open with several items, among them we select “Contact management”.
- A window will open where the available functions will be offered (combining, import / export, synchronization, changing the default storage location). Select item “Import / Export Contacts”.
- To transfer contacts from the phone to the SIM card, you must select the “Export”. SIM card.
- Next, mark the contacts you want to copy.
- If you want to transfer all contacts from the address book to a SIM card, just click on the “Copy all” button.
- Complete the procedure by clicking on the “Yes” button in the dialog box that opens.
Note that when copying to a SIM card, only the phone number and contact name are transferred. Copying a photo, e-mail address and other contact data will not work due to SIM card restrictions.
Tip: You can do another way: restore contacts from a backup or synchronize a new phone with a Google account. How to do it, read here. At the same time, you will not have restrictions: you can copy email, address and other contact information.
Transfer contacts to Android 8, 7, 6, 5 and below
In older versions of Android, copying contacts to a SIM card is different from the one described above. For information about numbers on the SIM card to be available on the new phone, you must:
- Go to the phone book using the special “Contacts” icon on the home screen.
- In the upper right corner, click on the “Options” item (In some operating systems, the “Options” item is indicated by an icon with three dots).
- In the menu that opens, select the “Settings” item.
- Select contacts and click on the item “Import / export contacts” in the menu that opens.
- Click on the “Export” button. Android will offer to choose the place where you want to transfer contacts. Use the command “Copy contacts from phone to SIM card”.
- Confirm your intention to copy the contacts by clicking on the “Yes” button in the window that opens.
- Mark contacts for transfer. Further actions will be performed automatically.
Transfer contacts to SIM in Android 4
To transfer contacts from your phone to a Samsung SIM card (or to a device of any other brand) with a version of the Android 4 operating system, you must:
- Go to the contacts section using the special icon on the home screen or in the menu.
- Go to settings. To do this, press the “Menu”, “Options” or “.” button, depending on the phone model.
- In the window that opens, select the “Export / import contacts.”
- Next, select “Export to SIM card.”
- Select the contacts you want to copy. You can click on the “Select All” button if you want to copy all contacts from the phone book.
- Carefully read and agree to the conditions under which data is copied from the phone to the SIM card.
As on other operating systems, only the name and phone number of the contact is saved when copying.
How to transfer contacts from a SIM card to a phone
After the import / export of contacts has been made, you can rearrange the card in another phone. all phone numbers will be immediately available.
In order for the new information about the contacts to be stored in the phone’s memory, you must accordingly transfer data from the SIM card to the smartphone. For this:
- Go to contacts through the icon on the home screen.
- In the menu (opens after pressing the “Menu”, “Options” or “.” button, depending on the version of the OS that is installed on the smartphone), select the “Settings” item. In newer versions of the Android operating system, you need to select “Contact Management”.
- Select “Export / import contacts”, then “Import”.
- We indicate where you want to copy information from (in our case, from a SIM card).
- Select contacts, complete the import.
After these steps, the contacts will be saved in the phone. If you change the SIM card, the numbers will still be available for viewing.
Top contact transfer apps
You can transfer contacts to a sim not only using the built-in phone tools, but also through third-party software. There are also programs that allow you to backup contacts. The advantage of backup over regular copying is often that it is possible to save not only the name and number, but also additional information.
- Titanium Backup. The application creates a full backup of the address book, as a result, no additional information on the contacts is lost. Using the application, you can save contacts to a memory card or upload information to the cloud for convenient subsequent access from any mobile device. Disadvantages of the application: distributed on a fee basis, requires administrator rights.
- Dropbox The application allows you to synchronize contact information and stores it in the cloud. In order not to lose the necessary information when changing the phone or firmware, just go to the program settings and click on the “Save contacts” item.