Why is there no picture on your TV from your computer (laptop) via HDMI cable
In some cases, after connecting the TV to a computer or laptop via HDMI cable, the TV just does not show the image. Rarely, but it happens that there is sound on HDMI, but no picture on the TV. Although, I think most often encounter the opposite problem, when the image is there, but no sound on HDMI.
In this article, we will try to deal exclusively with the problem with the image output through the HDMI cable. Everything seems to be simple there, just connect the TV with your computer, select the desired input on the TV, and if necessary, select the desired output mode on the computer. And, according to the idea, everything should already work. But instead we see “No Signal” on the TV.
Before you go on to any tips, look at the instructions for connecting your TV to your computer via HDMI:
If you do everything according to the instructions, but there is no result, and the image on the TV did not appear, then now we will deal with it.
Getting ready: Check the HDMI ports on your TV and computer and choose a cable
First we need to check if our devices have the necessary ports. We will also need an HDMI cable to connect. Let’s look at it in detail. If you have everything, you can go directly to the connection and configuration.
- The HDMI input on your TV is usually on the side, or the back (sometimes both). These should be signed and numbered. They look like this (Philips on the left, LG on the right): If your TV has at least one of these ports, then it will work.
- Next, look at the back of your computer (I mean the system unit). There we need to find the HDMI output. HDMI can be on the motherboard (built-in graphics on newer boards). and also on the videocard. But, even if you have that port on your motherboard (like I have in the photo below). And if you have a separate discrete video card with HDMI output, then the TV must be connected to the video card. The picture I took of the system box is in the horizontal position. In my case, the TV can be connected to the HDMI output on the video card.If your computer does not have HDMI output, but has DVI, you can buy a DVI to HDMI adapter. If you have only the old VGA, you can use the VGA to HDMI adapter, but then the sound will not be output to the TV, because VGA is not a digital output. If you want to connect your TV and monitor to your computer at the same time, you will need either two HDMI or HDMI and DVI. We will also need the appropriate cables.
- The HDMI cable must be the length we need. If I’m not mistaken, they are up to 20 meters. If you don’t have a separate cable, you can use the one your monitor is connected with. If you have it connected via HDMI. I have this cable: The most common, inexpensive cable.
If you have ports on both devices and have a cable, you can connect.
The system is not set up
In order to send the picture to the TV, you will not only need to select source, but also to adjust the screen on the laptop itself:
Right click on the desktop. Open the “Screen Resolution” section.
For some laptops turn on the second screen with the key combination FnF8 (instead of F8 may be another button from the series F1-F12). After this setting, the desktop of the laptop should appear on the TV screen. If the sound continues to play through your laptop’s speakers, make a further adjustment:
Click on the volume icon in the tray and open “Playback Devices.
If after selecting the signal source and adjusting the system still no picture, check the drivers and parameters of your video card.
Resolution and Frequency Settings
Sometimes after performing the above recommendations the picture can’t be transmitted anyway. In this case, the reason may be that the TV and the system unit are not compatible in their parameters. For example, for an old SD or HDTV the FHD resolution set on the PC video card is too high.
If this is the case, it is worth going into the screen settings using the algorithms above, and selecting a second display (TV), lower the resolution for it.
The second reason that can affect the picture is frequency
By default, the PC graphics card is set to 60 Hz. For TV, it is worth trying to gradually decrease the value.
It is important to remember! Some TV manufacturers allow connection to PC and have a special mode for this. It can be combined with the setting of the image or separated separately. You can use it to select the appropriate resolution for PC.
encountered a problem in which the window appeared with the text “HDMI mode is not supported”. On the forums there were many recommendations to combat this, but it turned out that this is a problem with the factory firmware, and to eliminate the defect, you need to contact the manufacturer’s service center, where the new software is installed. Modern Samsung TVs have no such nuances.
Setting audio over HDMI for TV in Windows 7 and Windows 10
In Windows 10, these settings look exactly the same.
Connect your computer to your TV with an HDMI cable. Select the desired HDMI input on the TV as the source to display the computer image. Check if the sound on the TV is not twisted or muted.
Next, on your computer, right-click on the Sound Control icon in your system tray. Select “Playback Devices.
To open these settings in Windows 10, you must first go to the sound settings and there go to “Sound Control Panel”.
In the new window, in the list of available devices, you will see your TV, or a “Digital Audio (HDMI)” device. Mine is Philips, for instance. Your TV might say LG, Samsung, Sony, etc. д. Right click on it, and choose “Use Default”.
That’s it, the sound will work on your TV. The device we selected will be the default. Press Ok to close the window.
As you can see, you just had to change the playback device, and the sound started playing from the TV immediately. In the same way, you can switch back to the laptop speakers or speakers. After disconnecting the HDMI cable, the sound will automatically come from the speakers. And when you reconnect the TV, the sound itself will work over HDMI.
If you need to output sound to your computer speakers and TV speakers at the same time, you can try to set everything according to this instruction.
Adjusting the Image Output on PC
If the test concluded that all connectors and cable work, but still no picture, then it is time to configure the image output to Windows.
- On the desktop, the context menu opens.
- “Screen Resolution.
- “Connect to a projector.”.
- Choose “Duplicate” to display the picture on both displays or “Projector only”. the desktop will now be visible only on the TV.
- “Control Panel.
- “Appearance and Personalization”.
- “Multiple Displays. “Duplicate” or “Expand your desktop by 2 only.
- Call up “Screen Settings.
- Scroll down the menu to “Multiple Displays”. If the HDMI cable from the computer to the TV is connected correctly, it will display a window with a second display connected. You need to specify the output method of the image is the same as mentioned above.
Reasons why Windows 10 does not detect the monitor via HDMI
HDMI connection failure between Windows 10 and our monitor. A fairly common problem, and it can be due to several factors. In the case where we have problems with audio or video signal, it is most likely a failure due to incompatible drivers. It can also happen that the problem is related to a cable that is in bad condition and this does not allow the operating system to recognize it. Or, even though the connection is made correctly, we didn’t select the correct HDMI port on our TV remote control. In case we can not get Windows 10 to recognize our monitor connected via HDMI, we should try some of the solutions we present below.
If we have made sure that the cable is working properly and that we have chosen the correct output on our monitor or TV, we will try some tricks that will help us solve the problem.
Select HDMI as the default device
The first thing we have to do is to make sure that our device connected via HDMI is set to default because otherwise we will not have an available HDMI output. To check this, we have to right click on the volume icon in the taskbar and select “Sounds”.
A new window will open and we will select the “Playback” tab where we have to select the digital or HDMI output device. and then select “Default” so that it is configured by default.
Manual Screen Detection
If we try to connect our computer to an old monitor or TV, Windows 10 may have a problem detecting it. To do this, the operating system has a feature that allows you to search for screens manually. To do this, we must access the Windows 10 settings menu using the shortcut “Windows I”. On the next screen, click on the “System” section.
Next, in the menu on the left, select “Screen”. Inside the right column we lower the screen and find the option “Multiple Screens” where we must click on “Detect and verify” that our computer detects a connected HDMI monitor.
Make sure that the display output works properly
- PC screen only: if we have this option selected, the second monitor will be ignored and only our PC screen will be displayed.
- Duplicate: using this option will project the content of our computer screen with the monitors connected.
- Expand: with this option, part of the content is displayed on our PC and the rest is projected on other connected monitors.
- Second screen only: all content will be displayed on the connected monitors.
In case the connected monitor or TV does not display properly on additional monitors, we must make sure that we do not have the “PC screen only” option selected.
Update the display drivers
One of the most common issues that cause Windows 10 to fail to detect our monitor connected via HDMI is that the graphics drivers are out of date or out of date. To solve this problem, we have to launch the Windows shortcut menu by pressing the Windows X key and select Device Manager.
Once inside, we will display the “Video Adapters” option, right-click and select “Update Driver”.
In the new window we select Search for drivers automatically to install the latest drivers for our computer from the Internet. After installing the drivers for the display adapter, we restart the computer and reconnect the monitor via HDMI to see if the problem is resolved.
We have to go to the manufacturer’s website and go to their download page, find our video card and download the drivers. After downloading, we double click on them to install them, or in the device manager we select the “Browse my PC for drivers” option.
Use a program like Driver Genius Professional
This program is responsible for the recognition of more than 80,000 devices, so it is able to detect and download drivers for our video card, among other computer components such as motherboard, sound card, etc. д. We can download the trial version from this link.
Problems with viruses or malware
Another cause of problems with HDMI connection is malware, so it is recommended to perform a full system scan to detect it. This is what we can do directly with Windows Protector. To do this, we write “Windows Security “In the search engine next to the menu” Start “.
In the menu on the left, choose “Protection from Viruses and Threats”. On the right side, we select “Quick Scan” so it is responsible for finding and detecting any hidden malware affecting the HDMI cable connection.
Restore to the previous version of Windows 10
Sometimes it may be that a Windows 10 update has caused a problem with our HDMI connection. In this case, the best solution is to go back to the previous version. To do this, we have to download the Media Creation Tool. From this link. After downloading, we open it and click on Upgrade this computer now and click “Next”.
Update your video card driver
If the TV set does not see the computer through HDMI, or this method of connection has stopped working, the reason may lie in the video card, or rather its driver. It could be a glitch, the driver is out of date, or it was not installed correctly to begin with.
In this case, we can make sure that the signal is not coming from the old driver on the video card like this.
- On the “My Computer” icon or in Explorer, under the “This Computer” tab, PKM should be selected “Manage”.
- Next, “Device Manager,” the “Video Adapters” tab.
- If there is a failure, you will see a yellow or red sign in front of the video card. They mean that the node is not working properly. If there are no symbols, then the video card is fine, but the driver could be out of date, and this is a common cause of the fact that a number of functions do not work.
There are several ways to update the software on PC components. The most reliable option. go to the website of the manufacturer of your laptop or video card and download the file for the correct operating system, taking into account its bit mode. After installation the device must be rebooted.
Tip! If you can’t find the driver, then DriverPackSolution utility can help. it independently scans the gadget and finds all the necessary software for each node.
If after all the above actions, the laptop still does not connect via HDMI to the TV, then the cause is more complicated, and it will have to be eliminated in the workshop. Which device requires a thorough diagnosis, you can find out by trying to connect TV and PC to other equipment.
Connecting two modern monitors via a digital port usually does not cause problems. If there are any, they are usually solved by adjusting the software.
The problem is often manifested in the connection of two displays on the analog and digital output. The reason. the fault of a component or a limitation in the support of such pairing by the graphics adapter. To identify faults, carefully go through each item.