Screen Brightness In Windows 10 Changes Itself
Not so long ago I ran into one small problem: the laptop monitor spontaneously changed the brightness and contrast of the image depending on the image displayed on it. For example, when the image is dark. it reduced brightness, when light (for example, text on a white background). added it.
In general, this does not interfere so much (and sometimes, it may even be useful to some users), but with a frequent change of image on the monitor. the eyes begin to get tired from changing the brightness. The problem was solved quickly enough, about the solution. below in the article.
Turn off adaptive screen brightness
In new versions of Windows (for example 8.1) there is such a feature as adaptive change in screen brightness. On some screens, it is barely noticeable; on my laptop screen, this option changed the brightness quite significantly! And so, for starters, with a similar problem, I recommend disabling this thing.
How it’s done?
Go to the control panel and go to the power settings. see fig. 1.
Fig. 1. Go to power settings (pay attention to the option “small icons”).
Next, you need to open the power scheme settings (you need to select the one that is currently active. there will be an icon in front of it)
Fig. 2. Power configuration
Then go to the settings for changing hidden power settings (see. Fig. 3).
Fig. 3. Change the additional power settings.
- select the active power supply circuit (opposite it will be the inscription “[Active]”);
- then expand the tabs alternately: screen / enable adaptive brightness control;
- turn off this option;
- in the “screen brightness” tab, set the optimal value for operation;
- in the tab “screen brightness level in dimmed mode” you need to set the same values as in the “screen brightness” tab;
- then just save the settings (see Fig. 4).
Fig. 4. Power. adaptive brightness
After that, reboot the laptop and check the performance. spontaneously the brightness should not change anymore!
Other reasons for changing monitor brightness
In some laptop models, brightness may change due to BIOS settings or due to errors made by developers. In the first case, it is enough to reset the BIOS to the optimal settings, in the second case, you need to update the BIOS to a stable version.
2) Drivers for a card
Some drivers may have settings for optimal color rendering. Due to this, according to the manufacturers, it will be more convenient for the user: he watches a movie in dark colors: the card adjusts the picture on its own. Such settings can usually be changed in the settings of the card driver (see Fig. 5).
In some cases, it is recommended to replace the drivers and update them (especially if Windows itself picked up the drivers for your card during installation).
Fig. 5. Adjust brightness and color reproduction. Intel Graphics Control Panel card.
3) Hardware issues
An arbitrary change in the brightness of the picture may be due to the hardware (for example, capacitors are swollen). The behavior of the picture on the monitor in this has some features:
- the brightness changes even on a static (not changing) picture: for example, your desktop is either light, dark, or light again, although you did not even move your mouse;
- there are stripes or ripples (see Fig. 6);
- the monitor does not respond to your settings for changing the brightness: for example, you add it. but nothing happens;
- the monitor behaves similarly when booting from a Live CD (https://pcpro100.info/zapisat-livecd-na-fleshku/).
Fig. 6. Ripples on the screen of the HP laptop.
That’s all for me. I would be grateful for sensible additions.