First of all, we recommend that you make a full backup of your device in both iTunes on your computer and to the iCloud cloud storage. The procedure for returning the previous firmware version itself implies a complete erasure of information from your device and the restoration of absolutely clean software. Accordingly, you must have a backup copy from where you can restore all your personal information and files.
Copying should be done in two of these ways at once, since on some versions of iOS it was impossible to restore data from a backup made on a more recent firmware.
After that, in your device, be sure to follow the path iCloud Settings Find iPhone or iPad and disable this feature. This is done temporarily, in order to remove protection from the software of your device and after the firmware is restored, the function will be turned on again automatically.
How to return an old version of iOS?
Sooner or later, every user of Apple mobile devices is confronted with the thought that it might be worth bringing back the old version of iOS. For this, there may be many factors, a new unusual interface that came with the next update, errors in the new version associated with flaws or poor compatibility with a particular device.
The company itself has never welcomed the return of previous versions of software to the device and, strictly speaking, neither the iPhone nor the iPad supports installing older versions of iOS. Nevertheless, after the release of a fresh iteration of the operating system, users have a couple of weeks to properly study the new version, make the choice and, if desired, make the so-called rollback of the firmware to the previous version.
With the release of iOS 9, this issue has again become relevant for some users, and therefore we want to remind you in this guide how to return an old version of iOS.
How to return an old version of iOS
To start restoring the previous version, you need to download the firmware file itself, and to install it on your iPhone or iPad, you need a computer, the latest version of iTunes and a USB cable.
- Go to getios.com.
- In the YOUR DEVICE field, select the Apple mobile gadget on which you are going to restore the old software version.
- In the field THE MODEL specify the model of your device.
- In the iOS VERSION field, select the iOS version you want to restore. Please be aware that Apple only supports downgrading one firmware back and only for a few weeks after a new version is released.
- Press the DOWNLOAD button and wait for the firmware file to be fully downloaded.
Now you can move on to the recovery process itself:
- Open iTunes. For any operations with firmware, it is advisable to use only the latest version of iTunes, so before starting the procedure, check for updates and install them if necessary.
- Connect your device to your computer with a cable and wait until iTunes recognizes your device.
- Open your device management page in iTunes.
- While holding down the Shift key on your keyboard (or Alt if you are using a Mac computer), click the Refresh button in the device control window.
- In the Explorer (or Finder, if you are using a Mac computer) window that opens, select the firmware file you downloaded in the previous step.
- Confirm your intention to install an older version of the iOS operating system.
- After that, the firmware restoration process will be launched. You can watch its progress in the upper part of the iTunes window.
During the installation of the firmware into the device, it cannot be disconnected from the computer and it is advisable not to press anything until a white screen with a welcome message appears. It will mean that the process has been completed successfully and the device can be activated.
It is worth noting that at the beginning of the firmware restoration process, iTunes contacts the Apple server and checks the possibility of installing a specific version on a specific device. If you download the wrong firmware or Apple has already closed the ability to install any specific outdated version of the software, iTunes will give you a message and simply stop the recovery process. You simply will not be able to install the wrong or wrong firmware version.
What to do before rollback
Before you roll back from iOS 12, you need to remember about backup, that is, a backup copy. It can be done in two ways via iCloud and iTunes.
Through Aycloud it will be easiest, you just need:
Find the Apple ID menu;
- In iCloud, click Backup and mark everything that needs to be uploaded to the cloud;
- Press the toggle switch (as shown below) and wait for the end of the download.
Through aytyuns, too, an easy way, but it needs a laptop. It is necessary:
Connect a USB cable to a computer and a gadget;
- Open iTunes on your laptop and find your phone in the menu;
- In Overview, click This Computer;
- Select Create a copy now;
- Click Move purchases in the Devices menu to resume all apps if needed.
Check Signature Status
Before rolling back the iOS 12 update, you need to find a suitable version of the previous iOS and check its signature, that is, Apple’s permission to revert to the old version. This must be done so that when installing the OS, aytyunz does not give an error, and simply does not refuse to install a new operating system.
This is done in an elementary way. Need to:
Go to any special site to verify the signature. It is easy to find it through a search engine.
- Select product (iPhone, iPad, iPod).
- Click on the product model.
- Make sure that the correct firmware is selected for a specific model (it will glow as available) or download it there on the site.
Keep in mind: If the standard Safari browser is usually used, then before downloading the firmware, you must turn off self-extracting from the archive. Or just download the program via Chrome. You can also change the name of the.Zip file to.Ipsw.
How to return from iOS 12 to the previous version: detailed instructions
Many Apple product lovers regretted upgrading to a trial version of iOS 12. Gadgets began to dull or sag faster, and applications were crashing more and more often. It has a lot of bugs and shortcomings, and it’s still difficult to talk about perfect work. Can I downgrade firmware from version 12 to version 11? Can. And here is exactly how it is shown below.
Curious to know the difference: Galaxy S8 vs iPhone 8 comparison
For those who are not entirely satisfied with the new version, but still doubt whether they need this rollback, we can give a small comparative table of the operating time of one phone charge on firmware 11 and 12. For the test, we used models 5S, 6, 6S, 7 with new original batteries. The difference in operating time under maximum load is small, but obvious.
So, if the decision is made, you can start returning to the old operating system.
How to downgrade from iOS 12 to iOS 11.4.1 without data loss
The option is unique for all gadgets. It is faster than the restore option, but sometimes does not work on some models. It’s worth a try, though, to save time. All you need is:
1. Before you roll back iOS 12 to 11.4, you need to stop Find IPhone in iCloud, otherwise it simply won’t let you do it.
2. Plug the device into the PC and go to iTunes.
3. From the Browse menu, hold down Shift and select Refresh.
4. Find the firmware file and enable the update.
How to get back to iOS 11 from 12 with recovery
This method is longer and slightly different for different models, but still there is nothing complicated about it. It’s just that in this case, you need to restore the previous version, and not update it. You only need:
Check signature and download firmware.
- Connect a gadget and go to aytyuns.
- Start Repair (DFU). Different models use different key combinations for this.
Click the volume up and down, hold the shutdown button, and the desired screen will pop up.
Hold the volume down and power until a window pops up.
Hold Home and turn on to get out the desired window.
Then again it is the same for everyone:
- Click OK;
- Shift-click Restore iPhone;
- Find firmware and start recovery;
- Click Next and Accept;
- After 10 minutes, the system will boot, and you can resume data from a backup copy.
The answer to the question: is it possible to rollback from iOS 12? Unambiguously positive. If something did not work out, then rather the wrong version of the program was downloaded, and it’s worth doing everything again. In the worst case scenario, it will take 15 minutes, so if the current version of the operating system does not suit you, you can still return everything back.
How to rollback (return) from iOS 12 to iOS 11 detailed instructions
Not satisfied with iOS 12? It’s very easy to return.
If for any reason you do not like iOS 12, then you can very easily downgrade to iOS 11. In this manual, we described in detail how to return from iOS 12 to iOS 11 and, for convenience, collected direct links to the current firmware. Ios 11.4.1 for all iPhone and iPad models.
How to rollback (return) from iOS 12 to iOS 11 detailed instructions
Important! Be sure to back up your device to iTunes or iCloud before downgrading iOS 12 to iOS 11. Returning to the previous firmware via iTunes in the vast majority of cases goes without problems, but it’s better to play it safe.
Step 1. Download the iOS 11.4.1 firmware IPSW file for your device from the links below:
- Iphone X
- Iphone 8, iPhone 7
- Iphone 8 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus
- Iphone SE, iPhone 5s
- Iphone 6s, iPhone 6
- Iphone 6s Plus, iPhone 6 Plus
Step 2. While downloading on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch go to Settings → [Your name] → iCloud → Find iPhone and disable the function of the same name, for this you will need to enter your Apple ID password. It is necessary to disable the Find iPhone function, otherwise iTunes will not allow you to roll back to the previous firmware.
Step 3. Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your computer and launch iTunes.
Step 4. In the iTunes window, select your device.
Step 5. On the page that opens, click the Restore iPhone button while holding down the Shift key on PC or Option on Mac.
Step 6. In the window that appears, select the firmware file that you downloaded in the first step and confirm the start of the rollback from iOS 12 to iOS 11. Be sure to wait until the end of the operation and do not disconnect the device from the computer.
Done! You are back from iOS 12 to iOS 11. After the restore process is complete, you will need to choose whether to restore the device from a backup, or set it up as new. If you want all your data to be returned to the device, then choose restore from a backup.
Rate 5 stars at the bottom of the article if you like this topic. Subscribe to us Telegram, VKontakte, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Viber, Zen, YouTube.
- Back up your iOS device. The process will erase all your data.
- You need SHSH2 blobs of the iOS version you want to rollback to. If you have multiple.Shsh2 files saved, select the one in the noapnonce folder. It should be named something like this: 1234567890123_iPhone6,1_n51ap_11.0.3-15A432_a1bcdef234abc567d8e9f012345a6789b01234c5.Shsh2. You can save these files only if Apple is still signing this firmware. If you have previously saved SHSH2 blobs but lost the link, read on how to save and download SHSH2blobs.
- If you have iOS 9.3.4 or 9.3.5, download PhoenixNonce.Ipa to your device from here:
- If you have iOS 10, download NonceSet1112.Ipa from here:
- Save the.Ipsw file of the latest available firmware (iOS 11.2.6) for your model from here:
- Download the.Ipsw file of the version you want to rollback to (in our case, iOS 11.1.2).
- Download the futurerestore program from here:
How to rollback to unsigned iOS using futurerestore
Today we’re going to detail how to downgrade to an iOS version that is no longer signed. For example, before iOS 11.1.2, which can be jailbroken. The method used was tested on an attempt to rollback the iPhone 5s to iOS 11.1.2, and then to iOS 11.0.3. Everything worked out.
After releasing updates, Apple usually stops signing previous versions of iOS after two weeks. This strategy is used by the company in order to combat jailbreak. If the firmware file is not signed, you cannot roll back to it, and, accordingly, install a jailbreak. The ability to upgrade or downgrade to unsigned iOS versions is very useful if you would like to jailbreak your device. Using the method below, you can downgrade to iOS 11.1.2 and jailbreak Electra or LiberiOS.
This manual is intended for users with sufficient skill for such operations. In the process, something may not work out for you, and the device will have to be updated to the latest available iOS version, i.E. You will lose your jailbreak. Read each instruction carefully and delve into each word. You can upgrade or roll back to an unsigned firmware version only if you have saved its SHSH blobs files. We used an iPhone 5s and rolled back to iOS 11.0.3, which doesn’t have the gyroscope bug found in iOS 11.1.X. If you already have a jailbreak installed and your device has 10GB of free memory, your chances of a successful rollback are much higher.
How to upgrade or downgrade to unsigned iOS using futurerestore
Step 1: Extract the downloaded archive futurerestore.Zip to a folder called futurerestore (for example, C: futurerestore) and copy the.Shsh2 file of the version you want to rollback to there. Then copy the rest of the.Ipsw files into the folder. To make things easier for yourself, rename the.Shsh2 files to my.Shsh2 (your current version) and restoreto.Ipsw (the version you want), and the iOS 11.2.6 file to signed.Ipsw.
Step 2: Open the.Shsh2 of the current version in Notepad and look for a line that looks like 0xab12c34d5ef6ab7d. Type this line into your PhoenixNonce or NonceSet1112 app and hit enter. The device may reboot during the process, this is normal. Once completed, restart your device again and open the app to check if the process went well. If the app doesn’t display anything new, repeat the steps again. Sometimes apps just don’t show the changes, so after that you can move on to the steps below.
Step 3: Connect your iOS device to your Windows PC. Check that iTunes is not running in the background and that the computer is connected to the network. Open a command window and type
Then enter the following command:
If you haven’t changed the file names, the command will look something like this:
Pressing Enter, you will see a long message. Do not interrupt the process until it is completed.
In the process, futurerestore may not be able to put your device into recovery mode, and you will have to do it yourself. Each time the device exits recovery mode before the process is complete, you will have to repeat all the steps again.
You can exit recovery mode with the following command:
Just wait and the process will most likely complete successfully.
It’s all. You should successfully roll back to the old iOS version. Then you can restore all your data from the copy.
For those who want to touch the past and work in iOS, the interface of which was saturated with the idea of skeuomorphism, there is still a working solution.
It doesn’t matter which version of the operating system will be installed on the gadget, in just a couple of steps you can jump in time, almost like Marty McFly (well, or Ivan Vasilievich).
- We go to the site ipsw.Me
- Select the desired device (for example, iPhone 4s)
- Download firmware 6.1.3 to your computer
- Connect iPhone 4s to your computer
- Open iTunes
- Holding down the Shift button on the keyboard (or Alt, if a Mac computer), click the Restore button
- Selecting the downloaded firmware
- We are waiting for the installation of the system
It is always worth starting the process of returning to the old version of the iOS operating system from the IPSW.Me website, a kind of database where independent developers have created a real cult of Apple technology lovers. First, we have collected a whole collection of instructions and answers to frequently asked questions. So, for example, everyone can find out if it is possible to install JailBreak on iOS 11.4, whether it is worth downloading 12 Beta, how to turn off all service notifications and change the wallpaper.
And secondly, we took care of preserving the ten latest official updates of the iOS operating system, and those versions to which we could really roll back were marked with special green checkmarks. And here it is important to understand the set of versions available for rollback is strictly limited and depends on Apple’s actions.
For example, if iOS Beta 12 appears specifically for developers, then it will be allowed to rollback to 11. If beta 13 appears, then to stable 12, and so on. Of course, there is no way to install iOS 8, 9, 10 via IPSW.Me (and by third-party methods). Therefore, if there is a desire to roll back from beta to something stable, there is a way:
- First of all, it is important to choose a device. Choice of iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, Apple Watch. Additionally, the iTunes version is restored, starting from 10.5.3 (if for some reason the tool stopped working stably, does not process files as before or does not start at all, you can try to change the version. Possibly relevant for both Windows and MacOS);
The second important step is to concretize the classification of the device. So, for example, the iPhone is available starting with 2G, iPad 1 or Apple Watch of the first generation. If you remember which version of a smartphone, tablet or player is in your hands now, you should go to Settings and select About device. And then continue the search. It is important that any inaccuracies at the selection stage can lead to unforeseen consequences. At best, to the loss of personal data (which can be easily restored from a backup), at worst to turning your favorite device into a brick;
Next, it is important to select the version of iOS to which the rollback will be performed. Typically, the IPSW.Me service offers several options with a difference of several months. You can read more about the specifications of each version on the Apple website in the update logs;
The last step is to go to the operating system build page and click Download. Any directory will do;
- The initial preparation is completed, the files necessary for rollback are uploaded, it remains to figure out the details.
The range of possible technical errors is extensive. There may be problems with activating the device after an incorrect (the instructions described in the next chapter exclude such problems) rollback, difficulties associated with using biometric scanners, starting the camera and saving photos, playing music and even activating the mobile network. There are situations and it is much worse when, with the wrong algorithm of actions, neither smartphones, nor tablets, nor smart watches would no longer turn on without calling the service center.
The only way not to encounter such unrecoverable errors is not to deviate from the instructions, use firmware files from trusted sources, do not improvise and in no case slow down devices connected to the PC via USB (if the wire goes away, the recovery process will be disrupted, and after that serious consequences will follow).
Proven Ways to Roll Back iOS to a Previous Firmware Version
Apple technology is subject to fewer changes than Android devices. On iOS, you cannot work with files downloaded from the network, greatly change the interface, install software from third-party sources bypassing the App Store.
It is even more difficult to configure the operating system, the developers do not allow to roll back iOS at any time (for example, to the legendary firmware version 10.3.3). And yet, the rollback function is available, albeit in a greatly reduced version and with a bunch of nuances. Which ones? About everything below!
Is it possible to rollback iOS
- Possible problems
- Working ways
- Preparing the device
- Recovery mode
Is it possible to rollback iOS
The procedure for rolling back the iOS operating system is possible on any Apple devices, this is Mac, and iPhone, and iPad, and iPod Touch and Apple TV, and Apple Watch. Of course, counting on a return to iOS 7, 8 or 9 on smartphones is not worth the rollback works in the conditions that are predefined by the developers. So, for example, if there is an opportunity to test the beta version of iOS, then the opportunity to rollback will certainly appear, but before the first stable version following the beta.
Preparing the device
Before restoring, it is important to disable the Find iPhone mode on any device suitable for rollback:
- Go to Settings. At the very top of the menu (on iOS 11) go to the parameters of the current profile;
- Scroll the menu with the opened iCloud settings to the Find iPhone item and move the lever from the active to inactive position. The system will immediately prompt you to enter several passwords and codes confirming the right to use the device. First of all, it is important to indicate the data from the Apple ID (if the data is forgotten, then the password and login are restored through the support service. When communicating with call center operators, you will have to name the key questions and answers specified during registration), and at the same time, if one different devices are connected to the profile, pass two-factor authentication. Thus, iOS tries to protect itself from unauthorized access, and therefore such a sophisticated check should be treated as calmly as possible.
Find the iCloud menu item. First of all, go to the Backup option and be sure to click Enable. With any rollback, all data available on the internal memory (including contacts, browser data associated with passwords and texts for autofill, as well as photos, applications and all settings) are automatically deleted and not restored without an available backup. If you feel sorry for losing data, then you should deal with the preparation of the backup right away;
If there is no space left in iCloud, then an alternative option is to create a copy through iTunes by connecting the device to a computer via USB and checking the box next to Save a copy on a computer;
The first option is preferable to iCloud accesses memory much more often and never misses important system updates;
Copy created? It’s time to move on to the most important thing;
And even without the Find iPhone function (iPad, iPod, and so on), any Apple technology is under serious threat, and therefore you should not delay the recovery mode, it is better to get down to business right away. And, after returning to the desired iOS version, immediately activate the function back.
If the save firmware, with the backup and settings, did not arise any problems, then it is time to get to the point:
- Connect iPhone, iPad, iPod, TV box or smart watch to your computer using a USB cable. It is important to understand the device must work (the battery charge level will suit any, the main thing is not to disconnect from the USB socket and not interrupt the recovery process, which the developers from Apple do not consider serious and dangerous, but it is better not to risk it again);
Without pressing any buttons (the network has long offered to hold down the volume and the lock key to go to recovery mode, in fact, the process has long been simplified), go to the device page in iTunes (the button is marked in the screenshot and is located right above the menu on the left side of the interface) ;
On the page that opens, go to the settings (on the left!) And select the Browse item. All the information necessary for recovery will appear on the right. The current version of the operating system and the Restore iPhone button (the rest of the name depends on the device connected to the system), which you need to click;
- The last step of the rollback is to select the downloaded firmware from the IPSW.Me website and initiate the rollback process. The process will take 15 to 30 minutes. During this time, you should not even touch your favorite device, it is better to wait patiently.
Ios rollback is possible, the main thing is to carefully understand the instructions described above and, most importantly, do not use firmware downloaded from unverified sources.