Phone Dropped And Not Turning On What To Do
Electronics is terribly afraid of water. If the phone falls into the water, quickly start saving the gadget. The sooner you come to the rescue, the more likely the mobile device is “comes to life” under your strict guidance. Think less whether the phone is “alive” or “dead”, take action faster!
This mobile device rescue recipe applies to any “iron”. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a phone or a tablet, Android or iPhone. Water can leak into the player, and in electronic watches, and in fitness trackers.
Cases of dangerous penetration of water into the telephone
- The phone fell (in a puddle, sea / river, etc.) and does not turn on
- You climbed into the water with a phone, forgetting to get it from shorts
- You foolishly dropped in the toilet, taking a selfie or looking at pictures
- Poured water on the phone
- Washed the phone in the washing machine and he is still intact
- They ate and dropped the phone into the soup during a conversation
So, the liquid got inside. What urgent procedures need to be done with a phone that has fallen into the water?
The first measures when water (liquid) gets into the phone
- Take out your drowned phone out of the water as quickly as possible and remove at a safe distance from the humid environment.
- Do not do it sudden movements, so that the liquid does not distribute inside and does not penetrate even further: into the electronics, under the housing.
- Act fast and accurate. The road is every second. In the best case, water will not get on the electronic components of the phone. At worst, if the phone falls into the water, even a waterproof phone or tablet will stop turning on, unable to withstand the depth, and will fail immediately.
Tip. If you drop your cell phone in the toilet, you can wear gloves (do not disdain: the life of your iron friend is at stake).
What not to do with a wet phone
- Test the phone’s performance immediately after you saved it from drowning.
- Leave the battery as is, in the phone, and start calling different numbers, checking the quality of the connection. With these rash actions, it is easy to permanently disable the phone.
- Dry the phone at close range. Microcircuits are exposed to heat. They can simply melt. For a hairdryer, select only the cold drying mode!
Turn off the phone and remove the battery
- Turn off the phone (if it suddenly still works).
- Remove the case so that the device dries faster.
- Remove the battery by removing the phone cover. This will prevent a short circuit. One of the main dangers and the reason for the failure of the phone.
Disconnect everything possible from the phone
In addition to the battery, you must remove all parts that can be dismantled. SIM card and sd card. Primarily. This is done:
- For the safety of removed components (it is almost impossible to restore contacts on the SIM card)
- So that the phone dries faster and there is no interference with air during drying.
If you know how to remove other, smaller parts of the phone, do it.
Mobile device drying
The faster the water dries, the more likely it is that it will not penetrate.
- To get started, put the device on a dry plane (table) with a napkin under it.
- Gently wipe the phone with a dry cloth, wipe off any moisture on the surface.
- To speed up the drying of the phone, a hairdryer or vacuum cleaner is suitable. Use a narrow nozzle to allow the holes to dry. The iPhone is especially delicate to such temperature changes.
- Dry the phone at a distance that you feel comfortable for yourself. The fact is that a hairdryer can do a poor job if you do not wipe the phone. Moisture under air pressure will penetrate inside.
Extra drying the inside of the phone
The drying process does not endure in a hurry. After making sure that there are no moisture droplets on the surface of the phone, leave it alone for 48 hours. Place the phone on a dry, absorbent cloth (such as a towel).
- Tip. For effective drying, dip the phone in a slide of dry rice. It absorbs moisture well. After drying, it is advisable not to eat rice. Especially if you got the phone out of the toilet.
What to do if it didn’t work to save the phone from water
We hope that these tips have helped you save money on a new iPhone or Android.
Alas, these methods do not always help in cases when the phone fell into the water and does not turn on (often some component falls off. For example, a microphone or a camera. That is located on top).
- Useful article: The phone does not turn on? Solve the problem
- If it doesn’t help and the phone still fails, contact the workshop to clarify the cost of repairs.
- In any case, do not be discouraged. You did everything you could.
- Still have questions? Write questions, share the problem with us.
Note: The latest Samsung and iPhone models are de facto waterproof, protected from moisture and dust. It is not worth worrying about their performance after getting liquid (see here and here).
If you can’t turn on your smartphone, do not rush to take it in for repair. Perhaps these simple steps will help to revive the device.
If problems arose with a wet gadget, do not connect it to the mains and stop pressing the buttons. Dry your phone as soon as possible and only then follow the tips in this article.
If you are sure that the inside of the smartphone is dry, feel free to continue.
1. Force restart the device
Your phone may be turned on, but just hanging. In this case, the screen may be dark and not respond to any actions. Therefore, first try restarting the device using the hardware keys.
How to force restart iPhone
On iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus and older models, hold down the Home key with the top (or side) button for 10 or more seconds until the Apple logo appears.
On iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, hold down the side key along with the volume down button for 10 or more seconds until you see the Apple logo.
On iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus, hold down and immediately release the volume up key, and then the volume down button. After that, press the side button and hold it until the Apple logo appears.
How to force reboot a smartphone on Android
Press the power button and the volume down key simultaneously and hold them for 10-15 seconds. If successful, the device will reboot automatically or display a menu on the screen in which you will need to select a restart command.
Some Android smartphones may restart using other buttons. If the device does not respond, search the Web for a combination of keys to restart your model.
2. Remove the battery and insert it back.
If your phone has a removable battery, remove the cover and remove the battery from the device. Wait at least 30 seconds and replace the battery. Then try turning on the phone in the usual way. Using the power button.
3. Put the phone on charge
Connect the phone to the wall outlet using the original charger. If the charging indicator does not appear on the display for an hour and you cannot turn on the device, check the integrity and cleanliness of the connector, as well as the condition of the power cable and adapter. If possible, try other outlets, replace the cable and / or adapter.
4. Reset the machine to factory settings.
If after trying to turn on the screen lights up, but the device does not boot properly, try to restore the factory settings using the hardware buttons.
How to restore the original settings on the iPhone
Connect your phone to your computer with a cable and launch iTunes. Then force restart the iPhone (see point 1). When you see the Apple logo, continue to hold the buttons until recovery mode appears on the smartphone screen.
After that, a window with further instructions should be displayed on the computer monitor. Click “Update” and follow the prompts of the system.
ITunes will download the necessary software for the phone. If this process takes more than 15 minutes, the iPhone may exit recovery mode. In this case, hold down the forced restart buttons again and hold them until the device returns to this mode.
If the update works, then the phone can turn on without resetting the system. If not, in the iTunes window, click Restore to restore the factory settings.
How to restore the original settings on an Android smartphone
Make sure the smartphone is turned off, and try the following combinations to reset:
- Volume up key; power button;
- Volume down key; power button;
- Volume down key volume up key power button;
- Volume down key power button home key.
You need to hold all the keys simultaneously and hold them for about 10-15 seconds. After that, a special menu will appear on the screen, in which you should select Recovery, and then the Wipe data / factory reset command. If you do not see this command in Recovery mode, hold down the power button and momentarily press the volume up key.
After these steps, the smartphone should return to its original settings within a few minutes. If none of the key combinations work or you do not find the necessary commands in the service menu, look for the reset instructions for your device model.
If none of the above recommendations helps turn on the device, try returning it under warranty or take it to a service center.
Modern smartphones are complex and quite delicate. On one “beautiful” morning, you may find that the gadget that has been charged does not work. Today we will figure out what to do if the phone does not turn on and does not boot, and how to fix this problem at home.
There are not so many answers to the question why the phone does not turn on, what could be the reason for its quick discharge and what to do in such a situation. Consider the most common options and solutions.
Adapter malfunction or lack of contact
The most common reason why the phone does not load or is quickly discharged is a charger malfunction. To verify this, you need to connect the gadget to another power supply. If it started to charge, then you found the reason and the problem was precisely in the charger. You can do the opposite, connect a known-good phone to a suspicious power supply. Thus, you are guaranteed to verify its malfunction.
If the smartphone does not charge with a working power supply, check the connector of the contacts. A clot of dust may clog into it or pet hair. Gently, with a wooden or plastic toothpick, clean the connection jack on the phone and try again.
If a removable battery is installed on the phone, check the contact tightness and condition. It is likely that they oxidized from moisture or bent when the battery was inserted after a fall.
Another opportunity to “revive” the battery or to verify its serviceability is to use a universal charger. In common parlance, it is called a “frog” and is capable of charging any removable battery from a household electrical network.
One of the reasons why the Android phone does not turn on is the use of an SD card with a larger volume than stated by the manufacturer. Craving for user experiments in the blood. If the specification says that you can use only 32 GB, they will definitely try 64. With a high degree of probability, the device will recognize the card. It will work normally until the recorded amount of information exceeds the declared support.
If after a software failure the phone stops turning on or does not boot, just remove the problem memory card from it. Forced reboot will bring the smartphone to working condition.
System errors and failed updates
System errors, or a resource-intensive application that is not completely unloaded from RAM, can lead to the battery starting to run out quickly, as a result of which the phone disconnected and does not start again. A malicious program may behave similarly. The virus, if its task is not to extort, works in the background. At the same time, he tries to use all available resources as quickly as possible. If the Android phone, in the standby state, is discharged faster than usual, you should check it for infection and force a reboot. Further actions depend on the results of the antivirus scan.
If the smartphone is clean and charged in normal mode, there is no reason for concern. Otherwise, if the device does not start or the phone is quickly discharged again, a full reset and reconfiguration will be required.
An unsuccessful software update may lead to the phone not responding to user actions or simply disconnected. Typically, this behavior is easily “cured” by a reboot.
In the event of a failure when flashing to the new OS version, the situation is a little more complicated. When the phone starts up, but the download does not go beyond the splash screen, the recovery mode can save the situation. What to do and how to enable Recovery Mode for a particular phone is best found on the manufacturer’s website or in the documentation for the device. When this is not possible, try universal methods. The vast majority of Android smartphones support its inclusion by pressing the power keys and volume control. Will it be an Up or Down button, depending on the device manufacturer. You can try both options in sequence.
Some users believe that physical damage is when the phone fell on a hard surface and shattered. Until that moment, he also fell twice, but only “slightly” scratched and crumpled. Meanwhile, it is impossible to exclude the appearance of hidden defects from impact on the gadget’s case. Damage to internal contacts will lead to the fact that the Android phone does not turn on and does not charge, and sometimes it worked and suddenly turned off. So if your phone crashes, it is impossible to fix the malfunction of the system board yourself and you will have to contact specialists for a complete diagnosis and possible replacement of components.
If the phone does not turn on even after you have tried all the probable reasons, you should contact the service center. Without showing undue initiative in trying to resuscitate him, you will save time for yourself and the nerves of specialists.