Nokia Lumia 830 Constantly Reboots
Most supported Lumia smartphones. budget devices with 1 GB of RAM. This amount was enough in the days of Windows Phone 8.1, but the reality is that in Windows 10 Mobile it is often not enough. Remember the Edge tabs that restart when you restore the browser from the background, or heavy applications, when you open them everything else closes. But there is a solution to this problem. swap file usage.
What is a swap file?
Paging file (or virtual memory). a special place on the internal drive, which is used by the system with a lack of RAM. Windows 10 Mobile is the only mobile system capable of working with this functionality. By default, on any device with Windows 10 Mobile, the file size is 256 MB. There are no tools in the mobile system to reduce or increase it.
How does it work in Windows 10 Mobile?
It turned out that the same mechanism for working with virtual memory is built into mobile Windows as in desktop. The swap file can be dynamic, that is, the system can control its size depending on the tasks performed. Activating this function, coupled with increasing the maximum possible amount of virtual memory, can significantly improve the operation of your device with heavy applications, as well as with programs in the background.
How to resize swap file?
Warning: All of the actions described below are performed at your own risk. To revert changes, you may need to reset your settings.
Warning 2: Some applications created for Windows Phone 8.1 may stop starting after these steps. If you also catch this problem, return all values in the registry back.
- Do Interop unlock according to instructions “How to make Interop Unlock on Lumia with Windows 10 Mobile without a computer” or “How to make Interop Unlock on Lumia 550, 650 and 950”.
- Go to Interop tools. Select This device.
- Open the hamburger menu and find the item Registry browser. In the latest version of Interop Tools, it is in the category Registry.
- Go to the branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management.
- Find the key Pagingfiles. Click on it.
- Edit its value according to the instructions below. Save the changes.
- Reboot your smartphone.
What to do with the PagingFiles key?
The value of this key is as follows: u: \ pagefile.sys 256 256
First, we see the page file address, then two numbers separated by a space. The first one. its minimum size, second. maximum. By default, both numbers are 256.
The whole point of our operation. in creating a dynamic file that the system will manage itself, depending on its needs. To do this, we should substitute 2 different numbers for these numbers. In addition, the size of the swap file can be increased.
On devices like Lumia 640 or Lumia 735 with 8 GB of internal memory and 1 GB of RAM, I recommend setting values like 256 and 768 or 512 and 1024. On devices with a larger drive, you can use more impressive numbers, for example, 1024 and 2048. Remember that numbers are separated by a single space.
What should not be done with the PagingFiles key?
- Do not change the storage location of the page file. No need to transfer it to an SD card or to another folder. The consequences can be unpredictable. You may just not be able to boot the system.
- Do not set the minimum size to less than 128 MB.
- When choosing the maximum size, keep in mind that you should have enough internal memory. Leave 1 GB of storage just in case. For example, if you have 2 GB free, the maximum page file size is for you. 1 GB
If the size of the virtual memory exceeds the available space or approaches it, you run the risk of getting serious problems.
- You should not increase the amount of virtual memory to 3 GB or more. Maximum. 2 GB, even on devices like the Lumia 950.
Have you noticed an improvement in multitasking after doing this?