Migrating Windows 7 to Ssd Wd
To add PC speed, sometimes it’s enough to put the OS on an SSD carrier. In order not to demolish it from the hard drive, and then not install it on the solid state from scratch, you can use this guide. Here are 6 comfortable utilities for quick porting.
How to connect an SSD or HDD to transfer Windows and data?
Before you start the transfer, you need to put the SSD in the computer. This can be done based on information from the following manual.
Important: There is an exception for Samsung solid state users. Read more in the Data Migration subsection.
- Turn off and power off the PC.
- Remove the housing cover and insert the SSD into the desired slot. It is worth noting that the new PCs have a separate slot for 2.5 ”drives. In less modern devices, there is no such compartment, but you can use a special adapter-frame.
- After the SSD is installed, it remains to connect the power and SATA cable to it.
- Now you can close the case, and turn on the computer.
It is time to programmatically prepare the computer for system migration from HDD to SSD. In the table below. what to do with the example of the tenth Windows, but the instruction is also suitable for earlier versions.
Important: you have to work in the BIOS, and therefore, users who are not confident in their abilities, it is better to entrust the matter to the pros. One wrong click can ruin everything.
Programs to transfer Windows 7/8/10 to SSD
Below are 6 convenient applications that are designed specifically to move the OS to solid state media.
Samsung Data Migration
A utility that is tailored specifically for the SSD from Samsung. Downloaded for free on the manufacturer’s website.
Before transferring the OS, you need to update the motherboard drivers, check the disk for errors, and also clean the computer from programs for instant recovery. Of course, if the drives are encrypted, they will need to be decrypted. All utilities and files must be closed.
- The software does not work with SSDs installed in laptops. Which drives are compatible with the utility, you can see on the official website.
- Recovery partitions are not cloned, nor can more than 2 partitions be migrated. The exception is branded devices with Recovery Solution higher than version V.
Another simple free utility for transferring a system from a hard drive to an SSD. There is one condition: as in the case with the previous option, you need at least one proprietary disc, only this time released by Seagate. A simple functional and user-friendly interface make it easy to figure out how to move the OS. The procedure is similar to the one proposed by Akronik Tru Image, which is discussed below.
Paragon Migrate OS to SSD
The only minus of the application is the need to pay, although not much. Before you start the migration, you should leave only those carriers that will participate in the transfer process. The rest is better to disconnect, so as not to accidentally lose files.
Note: if the SSD is not empty, the software will delete all information from it during the transfer process. But on the source disk all the data will remain.
1. When the user starts the program, the migration wizard window opens: you need to click “Next” for the software to analyze the equipment and wait.
2. When the utility determines the target disk, the user can mark which data does not need to be copied. You can do this in the appropriate section.
3. Click on copy, and then again.
Tip: so that the cloned system takes up all the space on the SSD (entire disk = 1 partition), you need to check the appropriate item. If you don’t click anything, then the place for the system on the SSD will be the same size as on the original HDD.
4. Allow to format the SSD by ticking the corresponding item, click “Next” to start the transfer, and wait.
5. When the software finishes, you will need to restart the PC.
Acronis True Image WD Edition
Created by Western Digital specifically for “their” discs. There is no need to pay for the software.
How to work:
- Start cloning by pressing the corresponding key in the “Tools” tab.
- Now the user has to set the migration mode. It can be automatic or manual. The first option is good for beginners. But there is a nuance: SSD should not be less than the HDD. The second mode is good if you need to transfer not all the contents of the hard drive, but only the OS.
- Indicate the drive on which the system is located, and then mark the SSD to which the data should be transferred.
- Exclude data that does not need to be transferred by ticking the files that are located on other disks.
- Wait until the software calculates the information.
- After. see if everything is correct and click on “Proceed”.
- Enable reboot at the request of the utility: the monitor will show a window where cloning will be displayed. When it’s over, the PC will shut down.
Macrium Reflect Free
The trial version of this disk cloning utility is available for a month. Despite the English-language interface, it is very convenient and understandable and makes it possible to transfer Windows from the HDD storage to the SSD without errors.
Important: SSD must be empty. When the program transfers the operating system to it, the data stored on it will be erased.
After the program starts, it will offer to create a backup disk necessary for recovery. This is not necessary, but useful if something goes wrong.
How to copy OS to SSD:
1. Find the tab for backup and select the HDD on which the system is installed, and then click “clone”.
2. Now you need to mark all the sections that the program should transfer to the SSD.
3. Below you need to select the drive on which the OS should migrate. The program will show what it will transfer to the SSD.
4. Then the user will be prompted to create a schedule, but this is not necessary: you can simply click “Next”.
5. After the utility displays a message about what actions it will take to copy the system. You will need to click Finish, and in the next window. click the confirmation button.
That’s all. When the software finishes work, it will display a message.
EaseUS ToDo Backup Free
An option for which you also do not have to pay. With it, you can easily transfer Windows:
- After starting the installed utility, click on the cloning icon located on the right in the upper part of the window.
- Designate the hard drive on which the system stands, and then select the SSD.
- After the partition structure is displayed on both disks, you will need to click “Proceed”.
- Confirm your consent to the message, which warns of the deletion of all data from the SSD and wait until the transfer is complete.
How to delete a section?
The excess section created by the application during the transfer can be deleted. The table will tell you exactly how.