What to Do If Your Laptop Can’t See Your Bluetooth Headphones? Telling
Good day, dear readers! In today’s world, buyers’ choices fall on more user-friendly technology. Various wireless devices make it easy to use. As a salesperson in an appliance store, I see that Bluetooth headsets are especially popular with customers. Today we will figure out what to do in a situation where the laptop does not see the Bluetooth headphones. I, Rostislav, recommend reading the article from the beginning to the end, because perhaps it will help you figure out your problem with headphones.
Quite often users, when connecting wireless headphones to any device face the problem that the equipment doesn’t connect or doesn’t find each other. Unlike most mobile devices, devices with the Windows 7 operating system and above, cope with the task without much difficulty.
To connect, you have to press a certain button on the accessory, usually with a Bluetooth symbol on it, and search on the device itself. This is done with the help of hot keys on your laptop or operating system. As a rule, the headset will flash a blue or orange LED in search mode, but once connected, it will light up evenly. In addition the headphones will notify the user of the connection with a beep.
It is worth noting that some laptops from different brands of Bluetooth connection key is placed on the keyboard and is assigned to the function key F. In some models, it is combined with a wireless network button. In particular, the second option can be seen in the equipment from Toshiba, Asus and Lenovo. In rare cases, the search for Bluetooth devices is enabled exclusively in the operating system.
In Windows 7, this menu is located in the “Control Panel. Hardware and Sound. Add Bluetooth device”. If there are drivers for this module in your laptop, then in the window that opens you will see the device you have found, just click on its name to connect it. In Windows 10, the tab is called “Bluetooth and other devices”.
Important nuance: after the first connection, the accessory is connected by clicking on the Bluetooth connection icon, located next to the date and time (provided that it is not turned off).
Check the physical connection parameters
- You are using the right connector. The socket you need on your computer is indicated by a green or earphone icon;
- Turned on the volume (on zero sound audio equipment will remain silent in all circumstances);
- Use a laptop with a functioning audio card (if the computer does not play music even through the speakers, then the problem is clearly not in a particular hardware).
- It’s worth checking the other earbuds. It is possible that they are broken, so the first thing we need to make sure that this is not the problem.
- If you have wireless bluetooth headphones, the problem may be due to a faulty bluetooth module, or a trivial disconnection. Try, go to Control Panel. Network and Sharing Center. Change adapter settings. If the module is disabled, then activate it. There is usually a separate app for this.
If the sound still does not appear, it may be because of the drivers on this computer. Check if they are installed at all and if everything is okay with them. To complete this task you will need to
Under “Audio Inputs and Outputs” are the drivers you need. If you see a yellow exclamation mark there: the program does not work, or is not installed at all.
Reinstall or update the drivers
Use the driver disk that came with your computer. It has all the programs you need and that’s where we will be able to do the driver update for your sound card. If the DVD has been lost, you should check the model of your audio card. To do this, go back to the Device Manager and find the category “Audio Video Game Devices”. Next to the speaker icon you will find the full name of your hardware.
The next step is to find the driver. You can find it on the official website of the developer of your audio card (the safest and most reliable option) or on other, third-party resources. Download the install file, uninstall the old driver in the device panel (if there is one) and install the current version on your computer. After that, restart your PC.
Alternatively, you can download a software compilation that will automatically install and configure the drivers for you. However, in this case you need to make sure that the collection:
Possible problems with Bluetooth headphones in Windows and solutions
A great Bluetooth headset with excellent sound when used together with a smartphone does not always show the same qualities when connected to a laptop or PC with Windows 10 or previous versions of the system. Let’s talk about the most common problems after connecting and possible solutions.
Please note that the performance of Bluetooth headphones or headsets in Windows depends on a variety of conditions, ranging from the characteristics of the Bluetooth adapter, the specifications of the headphones themselves and the audio codecs they support, to less obvious factors. For example, when a laptop is connected to Wi-Fi in the 2.4 GHz and other Bluetooth devices, such as a mouse, are used at the same time, the communication quality can deteriorate.
- Late sound. It may depend on different factors: Bluetooth adapter and its drivers, audio codecs used, technical capabilities of the headphones themselves. Learn more about possible solutions to this problem in the manual What to do if the sound in your Bluetooth headphones lags.
- Mono sound with poor quality. Solution: make sure that in the output device settings in Windows 10 or as the “Default Device” in the Sound Control Panel of previous systems, “Headphones” is selected rather than “Headphone”.
- The sound is degraded or lost when using the headphone microphone. The reason for this is that when using the communication features (“Headset Phone”), Windows switches the headset profile to HSP or HFP (Headset Profile / Hands-Free Profile), which is designed for communication and does not provide high quality sound, unlike A2DP profile, which is used in “Headphone” mode. There is no good solution, but you can use another microphone for communication by setting it as an input device in Windows, and disable communication profiles for headphones by going into Control Panel. Devices and Printers and opening the “Services” tab of your headphones. Simultaneously use the microphone and high quality sound transmission is possible on rare devices: depends on the adapter, its drivers and the headphones themselves.
- Bluetooth headphones have to be reconnected each time. The reason for this is usually because the same headphones are also used with another device: for example, after connecting to a phone, pairing with a laptop may be lost and you must remove the device in Windows and reconnect. A feature of most Bluetooth devices.
- Headphones turn off by themselves. may occur as a consequence of poor communication between them and the Bluetooth adapter due to the distance or obstacles, power saving settings on your laptop: try to turn on the power profile “Maximum performance”, go into the properties of the Bluetooth adapter in the Device Manager and if there is a tab “Power Management” uncheck “Allow disabling this device to save power”, check the availability of the same tab for the headphones themselves in the Windows Device Manager.
In all cases, with any strange behavior of the connected headphones, I recommend installing the original driver Bluetooth-adapter, not relying on the one that was installed automatically: sometimes, even the old driver for a previous version of Windows for your laptop model from the official site of its manufacturer shows better performance than any other, including the latest compatible. All of the above items are also relevant for the scenario of connecting a Bluetooth speaker to a laptop.
The computer does not see the microphone from the headphones (headphones with microphone)
Instructions for any models with microphone (JBL, Sony, Airpods)
If the computer does not see the headphones with a microphone, then the instructions described above will do. If the computer does not see the microphone from the headphones (no sound from it), it is worth paying attention to a couple of nuances.
- First, check that the connection is correct. If the headphones with microphone has 1 plug (combo plug), you must connect it to the combo input, if there is one on the computer. If you have 2 plugs, plug them into the corresponding jacks. You can also use adapters: from 2 to 1 and from 1 to 2. The main thing is that they are not just “split”, but exactly adapters with a microphone input/output.
That is, if there are only 2 jacks with the icons of headphones and microphone, then when you connect a mini-jack combo, for example, in the headphone jack, the microphone will not work.
- If the connection is correct, then to solve the problem that the computer does not see the headset (microphone from it), you can adjust the microphone levels. In the tray of the clock: Right click on the speaker → recorders → right click on your microphone → properties → levels → and set the level to approx. 85-95.
- Sometimes you have to select the specific microphone as the default recording device. It is done in the same menu. This often happens when there is more than one recording device in the list. Another option, if the computer does not see the headset with a microphone (especially wireless) is to download the firmware and / or drivers for it. Updating your sound card drivers, as described above, may also be helpful.
- In addition, it is worth trying to restart the computer. Sometimes this trivial action helps. Especially if you have made any software changes/updates while solving the problem.
- If the computer does not see wireless headphones with microphone, the nuances of their connection are described below.
How to connect headphones with a microphone to your computer. video
- For more details on how to connect headphones with a microphone to the computer, see our detailed article.
- Top 5: The best headphones with microphone for Skype
- Top 3: The best headphones for streaming
For more info
It happens that no manipulation does not help turn on Bluetooth and it still does not work, in this scenario, the following points may be useful:
- If everything worked fine before, you should probably try to roll back the Bluetooth module driver (you can do it on the “Driver” tab in the device properties in the Device Manager, provided that the button is active).
- Sometimes it happens that the official driver installer reports that the driver is not suitable for this system. You can try to unpack the installer with Universal Extractor and then install the driver manually (Device Manager. Right-click on the adapter. Update driver. Search for drivers on this computer. Specify the folder with driver files (usually contains inf, sys, dll).
- If you can not see Bluetooth modules, but in the list of USB controllers in the manager you have disabled or hidden device (in the menu “View” enable the display of hidden devices), for which the error “Device descriptor query failure” is indicated, then try the actions from the appropriate instruction. Device descriptor query failure (code 43), it is possible that it is your Bluetooth module, which can not be initialized.
- Some laptops require not only the original drivers for the wireless module, but also the drivers for the chipset and the power management for Bluetooth to work. Install them from the manufacturer’s official website for your model.
That is all I can suggest on the subject of restoring Bluetooth functionality on a laptop. If none of these helped, I do not know if I can add something, but in any case. write your Комментарии и мнения владельцев, but try to describe the problem in detail, indicating the exact model of the laptop and your operating system.
Laptop does not see wireless headphones in Windows 7
The connection of a wireless headset to a laptop with Windows in most cases is automatic. But why sometimes the laptop does not see Windows 7 headphones? As you know, wireless headphones are connected via Bluetooth. Since it is built into the laptop by default, it is Bluetooth that is responsible for the entire connection. With PC the situation is completely different, since there Bluetooth is not a built-in component.
Here we look at the connection and problems with headsets specifically for laptops.
The first and most important condition is the physical presence of the Bluetooth adapter. To understand whether it is available on the laptop, you must go to: Control Panel. Device Manager. Open the tab Bluetooth, Network Adapters, check the list of devices, as shown in the figure below.
The second condition is that the adapter must have a “fresh” driver. These two conditions are enough for Windows 7 operating system to automatically recognize a wireless headset. But everything is in place and the headset is not connected, not recognized by the system, and if it is connected, there is no sound or Bluetooth refuses to connect at all. What to do?
We will describe all the causes in one list. We will consider each cause in detail and suggest a possible solution.
- No driver available. This is the most likely reason why your laptop may not see your Windows 7 Bluetooth headphones. Starting with version 8.0, the OS automatically searches for drivers the first time you connect the device. On Seven, the driver is installed from the installation disk (usually included with the headset). If there is no disc, you must find and download the driver yourself from the Internet.
- Bluetooth is not available. Happens if there is no device driver, it is not installed correctly, the adapter is not suitable for this laptop model.
A possible solution. trying to find the adapter yourself, with a special button on the front panel. The presence and the bluetooth icon on the button depend on the manufacturer. Some brands, such as Lenovo, Asus, Toshiba, have this button, combined with the icon of Wi-Fi network. If trying the button did not help much, you need to go to the tools of the operating system Seven.
To do this, go to the Control Panel. Hardware and Sound tab. “Adding a Bluetooth device”. If the driver is available, you will see a window with the adapter found. Click on the name to connect it.
Important! After the device is installed, it must be connected by clicking on the bluetooth icon in the taskbar (it is located near the date/time). At the same time the adapter itself should be active.
- Traffic is disrupted, devices cannot see each other. The most probable reason is that user forgot to turn on the search. Another reason is the long distance between the device and the Bluetooth adapter. For modern models this distance is 15 m, but when you first connect it is advisable to bring the headphones closer. The third reason is due to the fact that the headset is already connected to another gadget: smartphone, tablet, PC. If so, disconnect and resume searching for the device.
- Poor quality hardware. Easy to fix if you test new headphones by connecting them to another gadget, smartphone. Sound is heard? This means that the problem is not with the headset, but most likely with your laptop.
Important! Cheap Chinese-made devices are often impossible to connect to branded laptops. The main reason is the lack of technology compatibility. The headset can be detected on a smartphone or even a PC.
- Bluetooth hardware failure or OS “glitch” which occurs in three cases:
- No connection (signal);
- The headset doesn’t work, although it is turned on and set up;
- Emergency interruption of the adapter operation has occurred.
In the first case the OS will automatically reconnect the wireless devices until it obtains a stable signal. You can do this manually by turning the device off and on.
In the second case, which is difficult to predict, the device has stopped working for its own internal reasons, little dependent on the laptop. A chip fails, etc.д. The solution. warranty exchange or repair at the Service Center.
The third case of hardware failure or the OS itself can be caused by a virus attack, after a crash or in a similar situation of sudden interruption. A possible solution to the problem is to disconnect the headphones through the Manager menu and reconnect. This often helps.
The problem in your notebook. no sound output. If this happens, there are solutions. Sometimes it is the user’s fault if the volume slider on the laptop is turned off. Other cases. the headphones are not selected by default, as a device for sound playback, no audio or video codecs (you must download and install them separately).
Interesting ! Some masters connect this problem with the already available (enabled) wired headsets. To switch to wireless devices, you need to click on the “Playback Devices” icon (bottom of the desktop) and make the desired headset active.
Or do it through the Control Panel. The “Sound” tab, selecting the headphones as the default communication device.
If the laptop does not see Bluetooth headphones in Windows 7 on the laptop, the adapter, driver or gadget itself is to blame. Some of the problems are due to hardware failures, physical incompatibility of models. This is typical for cheap Chinese products of noname category. We have tried to give descriptions of the most common problems, as well as solutions that are available at home to any user.
The second most common cause of Bluetooth not working is the lack of drivers for the adapter. For example if you reinstall Windows and the default drivers are not installed, then the device is not working. ).
It is not uncommon when even new laptops do not have all the drivers installed.
To check the drivers, I recommend opening the Device Manager (WinPause key combination and see “How to use the device manager”). menu on the left).
Next, expand the “Bluetooth” tab (it’s usually at the top). Check for exclamation marks on your “Wireless Bluetooth” device (the name can be different).
Note that if there is no driver, you may not have this tab in device manager, or there will be no “Wireless Bluetooth” adapter itself.
I also recommend checking the “Other Devices” tab (if available). it contains those devices for which there are no drivers in the system. See. screenshot below. notice how they are marked!
If you have a problem with a driver, I recommend this article: https://ocomp.info/update-drivers.html#Driver_Booster
You learn how to find and update drivers for any unknown hardware in your system.
In the issue of drivers I can not not mention the different centers to control laptops (they are installed with the drivers, developed by the manufacturers of laptops).
Thanks to them, you can configure various settings for the device, which are often not available from under Windows.
For example, Sony VAIO laptops have a panel “Smart Network” (Smart Internet), due to which you can quickly disable / enable various adapters: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.
Check, maybe on your laptop also installed a similar center, in which the desired adapter is simply turned off.
Smart Network. smart internet, spc. centers in laptops
Find out why Bluetooth is not working
Before you begin direct action to fix the problem, I recommend following these simple steps to help navigate the situation, surmise why your laptop’s Bluetooth isn’t working, and possibly save you time with further action.
- Look in the Device Manager (press WinR on your keyboard, type devmgmt.msc).
- Pay attention to whether there is a Bluetooth module in the list of devices.
- If Bluetooth devices are present, but their names are “Generic Bluetooth Adapter” and/or Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator, you should probably skip to the section in the current manual regarding installation of Bluetooth drivers.
- When Bluetooth devices are present, but there is an “arrow down” next to its icon (which means that the device is disabled), then right-click on such a device and select the “Enable” menu item.
- If there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the Bluetooth device, you are most likely to find the solution in the sections about installing Bluetooth drivers and in the “Additional Information” later in the manual.
- If there are no Bluetooth devices in the list. in the Device Manager menu, click on “View”. “Show Hidden Devices. If nothing like this appears, it is possible that the adapter is physically disabled or has been disabled in the BIOS (see the section on disabling Bluetooth devices in the BIOS for more information). section about disabling and enabling Bluetooth in BIOS), failed or initialized incorrectly (about that in the “Advanced” section of this material).
- If the Bluetooth adapter works, appears in the Device Manager and is not named Generic Bluetooth Adapter, then look at how else it could be disabled, which we will get to right now.
If you stopped at #7 on the list, we can assume that the necessary drivers for your laptop‘s Bluetooth adapter are installed, and the device is probably working, but disconnected.
It is worth noting: the status of “Device works fine” and its “turned on” in the Device Manager does not mean that it is not disabled, because the Bluetooth module can be disabled by other means of the system and laptop.
Carry out diagnostics
To find the reason why the headphones do not work on the computer, you need to carry out a consistent diagnosis of all systems.
- First you need to rule out a failure of the headphones themselves. To do this, you need to connect them to another device, such as a smartphone or DVD player. If the headphones transmit sound normally, then continue diagnostics.
- It is necessary to make sure that the headphones were properly connected to the computer, using the correct jack. Some laptops have identical jacks for recording and audio equipment. Check the connection. there should be an appropriate sign near the input, or the connector should be green.
If you are unable to connect the headphones on the front of the system unit, then connect them from the back to the audio card outputs.