Timely OS update is a visiting card of the technology giant from Cupertino. When it comes to software updates, Apple never disappoints its customers. However, many users experience various kinds of errors on their devices when updating iOS to the latest version. And recently, a large number of iPad users have rushed to the Internet with the question: why is my iPad not updated to version iOS 12? Well, we have several ways to solve this problem. However, before we move on to them, let’s take a look at the possible causes of this error.
Part 1: Common Causes of the iPad is Not Updating Error
- Space for data storage: the lack of sufficient free space on your device when updating iOS may lead to this error. The reason is pretty obvious! If your device does not have enough memory, where do you download and where do you create space for the new version of iOS?
- IPad battery power: Apple always recommends starting updating the device to the latest version with a battery level of more than 50%. If the charge level is lower, it is recommended that you connect the device to a power source to ensure the continuity of the update process. Without this condition, the update may not occur.
Part 2: Methods for resolving the “iPad is not updating” error
Now that you have familiarized yourself with the possible causes of the update failure, consider the solutions to this error. Each of the proposed methods takes into account the above causes of failure.
Method 1: Check Wi-Fi connection
An iOS update always requires a Wi-Fi connection. And therefore, if you can’t update the iPad, the reason may lie in this. Check if your iPad is connected to Wi-Fi. If not, plug in. Also check if the Wi-Fi connection itself is working. Contact your Internet service provider if necessary. These measures may help if the iPad is not updated due to lack of internet connection.
Method 2: Wait a bit
No matter how trite it may sound, this is common sense. When an update for iOS is released, almost all users receive a notification, which means they simultaneously begin to install a system update. And sometimes Apple servers cannot handle such a huge amount of traffic. From here an error occurs, and users begin to complain: “My iPad is not updating.” Well, all you have to do is wait a while until the traffic drops. As soon as the traffic drops, you can update your iPad and solve the problem “The update for the iPad has been downloaded but not installed.”
Method 3: Force Reboot iPad
Forcing a reboot of the device can also be useful if you encounter a similar error. This will free up some of the shared resources that are required to complete the iOS update. Press and hold the power button and Home button for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
For iPad Pro: 1. Quickly press and release the volume up button;
2. Quickly press and release the Volume Down button;
3. Press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
Method 4: Free iPad Storage
You can easily free up storage space on your iPad. Music and occupy the largest amount of memory on any iOS device. To clean the place and solve the problem “iPad does not update due to insufficient free memory”, follow the instructions below.
- Go to Settings. Select “General” and click on “Storage”.
- Select the Manage option. A list of applications and the amount of memory they occupy will appear.
- Swipe left on the screen with the name of any application and click on “Delete” to clear the place.
Method 5: Restore iPad from iTunes backup (data will be lost)
Restoring the problem may help restore the device from a previously created backup. You can always use iTunes backup for this. However, remember that you must back up your iPad before doing this. To restore the device, follow the instructions below.
- Connect your device to your PC and make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.
- Once you connect your iPad to your computer, open iTunes and select your device.
- Select the “Restore iPad” option. Done!
Method 6: Solve the problem “iPad does not update” without data loss
If none of the above methods worked, and you are ready to give up, the Tenorshare ReiBoot utility will come to the rescue. This program fixes any crashes associated with the iPhone and iPad with just one click. Below is a step-by-step instruction on how to use this utility to solve your problem.
Download and install the program on your PC or Mac, connect your device to the PC and select the option “Solve all iOS freezes” in the main menu of the program
Then click on “Fix Now” and download the necessary firmware package to your device. To start the download process, select “Download”.
After the download is complete, click on “Fix”. In a few minutes the problem will be resolved. The latest version of iOS will be installed on your device.
Update 2020-04-10 / Update for Problems and Solutions with iOS 12