In place of the CDs came USB-drives. These are practical and user-friendly devices that are sold in a wide range at affordable prices. The main feature of their use is that files can be deleted and overwritten an unlimited number of times. There are many ways to connect USB media to the TV.
If the TV has a built-in USB connector, to connect an external drive, just place it in the appropriate port. Unfortunately, only modern models have this interface. To connect a USB flash drive or other device to outdated television sets, you can use alternative methods.
Via USB output
Current TV models all have a built-in USB port. In most cases, it is located on the rear panel. It can also be on the side. Connecting a gadget through this connector is as follows.
- Insert the drive into the appropriate port.
- Then you need to select a new signal source using the remote control.
- Launch the file manager and in the desired folder find the movie or any other that you want to watch. To switch between folders, the buttons for rewind are used by default.
The note! As a rule, files are sorted by recording date. The device will show all the files that are available for playback on this model of television receiver.
Through the prefix
You can connect an external digital storage device to the TV through a set-top box. TV boxes are in great demand due to a large set of functions, simple controls and an affordable price. All consoles are equipped with a USB port.
Modern TVs are paired with a set-top box using an HDMI cable. The gadget is connected to an old TV using “tulips”. To enable a USB flash drive or other USB device, do the following:
- The prefix must be paired with the TV and turned on.
- Connect the external drive to the gadget using the appropriate port.
- Turn on the TV and go to the set-top box menu.
- In the file manager, highlight the file.
- Launch it by pressing the Play button on the remote control.
The note! Using a set-top box, you can not only play on a TV, but also run audio files and view images. Modern models support all formats.
Via DVD player
Almost all new DVD players are equipped with a USB connector. In this regard, this technique is actively used to connect flash drives to a TV. Synchronization occurs as follows.
- Insert the digital storage device into the appropriate interface.
- Turn on the player and TV.
- Select a signal to receive from the player.
- Now, having selected the necessary file, it can be viewed through the TV screen.
The main advantage of using such a technique is that most televisions will automatically recognize it. If this does not happen, you need to select a new signal source. This can be done using the remote control by pressing the TV / AV button.
If the file you need is not visible or cannot be played, most likely his format does not support player used. This method is great for reading data from flash drives, the only minus of which is the connection of additional equipment.
Using a media player
The next option, which is also often used, is to synchronize the TV with a USB flash drive through a media player. Their main difference from DVD players is the reading of all relevant formats. This practical and multifunctional technique allows you to view not only, but also photos, without the need for conversion. The operation process of the media player is simple and understandable to all users, regardless of experience. The synchronization process is almost the same as the one described above.
First you need to connect the player to the TV receiver by inserting the cord into the desired connector. After that, a digital drive is connected to the USB port. The basic equipment includes all the cables necessary for connecting. If you have any problems with pairing, try again as follows.
- Connect the USB flash drive to the desired connector.
- Using the remote control, open the “Video” section.
- Use the rewind buttons to select the desired file.
- To start, click OK.
Now the gadgets are ready to use. you can enjoy music, movies, TV shows and other media. Before using the equipment for the first time, it is recommended that you carefully read the technical documentation and make sure that you read all the required formats. Most player models read flash drives with the FAT32 file system. Keep this in mind when formatting digital media.
Note: some users are interested in how practical it is to use the OTG adapter (USB input and HDMI output).
When synchronizing digital media with a TV and optional equipment The following features must be considered.
- Format a USB flash drive or any other drive is necessary in a specific file system. This procedure is carried out on a computer and takes several minutes. For older TVs, you need the FAT16 format. If you are preparing the device for a new model of television receiver, select FAT32. Remember that formatting the media erases all existing files.
- If you correctly remove the USB flash drive, the gadget will work for a long time and properly. To correctly perform the extraction, you need to press the Stop button on the remote control and after a few seconds remove the device from the connector.
- Some, audio, and photo formats may not play. The manual for the operation of the equipment must indicate which extensions are supported by the TV and additional equipment (consoles, players and much more).
- The connectors must be checked and cleaned periodically. Dust and fine litter can cause equipment malfunction.
- When connecting, make sure that the device is firmly and securely held in the port. If the equipment does not see the digital drive, but you are sure of its operability and the correct settings, it is possible that the USB flash drive is not fully inserted into the port.
How to format?
Formatting is performed as follows.
- Connect the storage medium to the PC.
- Launch My Computer and find a new device.
- Right-click on it and select “Formatting”.
- In the window that opens, select the file system that you need.
- Use the checkmark to indicate “Quick Format”.
- After setting all the necessary parameters, click on the “Start” button.
- Now the drive can be used.
Possible problems and solutions
Manufacturers offering a practical and functional technique to the buyer thought out a simple use and an intuitive menu for the convenience of all users. At the same time, when connecting devices, you may encounter some problems. Consider the most common problems and their solutions.
The TV does not see the external drive
If the TV receiver stops seeing the USB flash drive or other USB device after formatting, the problem is the wrong file system. When formatting, the operating system on the computer offers the user two options. NTFS or FAT. The equipment used may simply not support the selected format.
To solve the problem, just format the drive again, select the appropriate file system.
Information about which option you need can be found in the instruction manual.. It is worth noting that the FAT32 system has strict restrictions on the size of recorded files. NTFS has no limits. If this is your first time using a USB flash drive, you may have come across a faulty gadget. Check the storage medium on another device to see what the problem is.
The next reason why the TV may not see the flash drive is excessive capacity. Each TV receiver has limitations on the size of the memory of the connected media, especially if you are dealing with an old model. If the 64 GB media is not visible on your TV, select a gadget with a reduced memory capacity and try again.
According to experts, problems may occur if the television receiver has a USB service interface. It is very rare, but its presence is recommended to check. Manufacturers designate it using the Service only label.
Also, it cannot be ruled out that the port is not working due to damage. The contact area may be dirty or oxidized. It is recommended that you contact a service center so that a specialist can safely solve the problem. In some cases, soldering of damaged areas will be necessary.
TV signal receiver does not see files on media
The second common problem that is encountered when connecting USB drives is that the equipment does not support a specific format. Also, when you try to read files in the wrong format, the following problems may occur.
- Equipment does not play sound when watching a movie or other material or vice versa (there is sound, but no image).
- The necessary file is visible in the file list, it does not open or is played upside down. You can expand the right while watching, if this function is in the player you are using.
- If you want to open the presentation on the TV screen, but equipment does not see the necessary file, it must be saved again in the desired format. Select the options you want when saving your presentation.
To change the file format, you need to use special software (converter). You can download it from the Internet for free. The most widely used programs: Format Factory, Freemake Converter, Any Converter. Thanks to the simple and Russian-language menu, using software is very simple. The work is performed as follows.
- Run the converter on the computer.
- Select the file you want to convert.
- Decide on the desired format and start the process.
- Wait for the program to complete the work.
- After completion, discard the new file on the USB flash drive and try to start again.
The note! When connecting digital media to a PC, be sure to use the safe eject function.