What to do if the phone does not see the memory card
A common problem: you have inserted a memory card into your smartphone, but the gadget does not recognize it and can not work with it. For many smartphone models flash drive is the only way to get at its disposal an acceptable amount of gigabytes for instant storage of photos, music and other data in the most comfortable mode. We will talk about why this storage device can work incorrectly and what to do in this situation.
Often the memory reserve of affordable smartphones does not exceed a modest 32 or 64 GB. The cost of flash drives with the same capacity is low, which determines their high popularity among buyers. From the built-in memory of the gadget at least 10 GB are allocated for the operating system and built-in applications (inevitable consumption). Third-party applications take up about the same amount of space. In the end, too little is left of the built-in memory because of these costs. This explains why users prefer to store all important data on a memory card from the beginning.
The failure of a removable drive means an unfortunate loss of valuable information for the owner. It is not always just a matter of putting up with an annoying nuisance. Sometimes the cause of the problem can be eliminated or the loss can be minimized.
Reasons Why Android Phone Can’t See Through OTG Adapter
Besides the lack of support for USB On-The-Go technology (read below), there are other reasons why your Android phone or tablet can’t see your flash drive through the cord, even if the light is on:
- The size of the pluggable drive is too large.
- If there is a connection sound, but you cannot identify the hardware (or it is only charging) make sure that its file system is in the correct Fat32 format. NTFS and ExFat on Android are not readable. Read How to format microSD card on Android
- Faulty flash drive. Try it on your computer to see if it works.
- Damage to the connector on the phone/tablet. Even if your device is charging, it does not mean that the connector is fully operational. the pins responsible for data transfer could be damaged.
- Damaged OTG cable or adapter. Connect another flash drive to another phone, known to be suitable for the task, to make sure it works.
- Wrong OS version. Read your manufacturer’s specifications.
In some cases you may not be able to connect your device without root. This happens if the particular phone model can not automatically mount an external drive. To fix the flaw, you need third-party software, such as an app. The wrong OS version which can work with thumb drives, modems, cameras and other devices.
If you connect the equipment via OTG-cable, the program will detect it and mount it by itself. You will find the contents of the drive in the folder /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1. To safely remove the drive, you need to select the “Unmount” option in StickMount.
To the Android phone you can connect a flash drive and even an external hard drive through the OTG adapter, but it is not always possible to do it the first time. Reasons can be different, from a wrong file system to partial damage of the connector on your smartphone.
Most often the problem can be solved independently, but in severe cases you have to contact the service center.
Instructions for installing the drive are similar to the smartphone. In order to insert the memory card into Honor and Huawei follow these steps:
As soon as you complete the tasks, the phone will indicate that there is a new object. After this window appears, you can continue with the settings. You can configure the path in which the gadgets will be saved. Or to free up gadget memory to transfer some files to the drive. Use explorer to see the information about internal and external storages.
- System glitch;
- oxidation of the contacts;
- Incorrectly formatted memory card;
- Incorrectly installed drive.
To get rid of system glitches you need to reboot the device. For correct operation wipe the contacts of the flash drive with a cotton pad soaked in alcohol. To check the functionality of the flash drive, you need to try it in another device and make sure that it is not broken. Both phone and computer can be used for formatting. And make sure that you installed the drive correctly.
Note that there is a certain number of times that you can write. Even if the drive has not yet reached this level, it does not exclude the possibility of its failure. Not only Honor and Huawei users will be able to apply the instruction. Suitable for other Android phones. And also for the Mediapad, a tablet computer from Huawei.
Anatoly Bogdanov (Wrote articles: 81)
Site Curator and Expert Editor. Keeps track of each employee’s work. Checks each article before releasing it. In addition, is an expert editor and responds to Комментарии и мнения владельцев from users. View all posts by this author →
Formatting via PC or notebook
If you want to perform the operation via computer or laptop perform the following actions:
- connect your cell phone to your computer via USB cable;
- Start the USB debugging process;
- Open the “Computer” tab;
- Click on the “Phone” line;
- Click on the right mouse button and launch the “Advanced Menu”;
- select the right tool;
- The final step is the “System Cleanup” key.
If you still have questions or complaints. let us know
Ask a Question
When the process is finished, turn off your smartphone for a few seconds. After this, turn on the device again.
Moving by system means
From Android version 6 onwards the developers have implemented a useful feature. the SD card can be made an extension of the internal memory. No need to move software manually anymore. One thing for sure: all data will be deleted from the SD card during setup.
- Go to: “Settings”. “Storage”. “SD-card.
- Click on the right top button and from the list, select: “Storage Settings”. “Internal Memory”.
- Agree with formatting all data by clicking the same button.
- Open the menu again and select “Transfer data”. Read the information and click “Transfer Content.
Each device supports a specific type of memory card, depending on the manufacturer and model. Users in the pursuit of large volumes ignore the capabilities of the gadget itself, which then causes problems, and the phone does not read or does not see the flash drive.
Before you buy a microSD, carefully read the technical requirements of the gadget. If the instructions say that it supports work with memory cards up to 32 GB, you should not try to use a flash drive of 64 GB or 128 GB.
Wrong SD format
When you buy a smartphone, manufacturers indicate in the “Specifications” section which flash drive is the right size and format for your device. If you took another SD-card then there is an incompatibility.
Another common problem is mechanical damage. If there are scratches on it, it is worn, cracked or has been in a wet environment for a long time, do not try to insert it into the device. In this case, you will need another media.
What is the first thing to do if your phone stops seeing your MicroSD?
There are several main reasons why a flash card is not readable by the device. Before looking for an answer to the question, why the phone does not see the CD-card, it is necessary to try to restore the work of the carrier independently. To do this, stick to the instructions:
- Restart the device. To do so, hold down the power button for a few seconds and then select “Restart” in the menu that appears.
- Many devices that support the memory card have a removable battery. If you have such a model that remove the battery for a few seconds and then put it back in place.
- After another test of the card’s operability that failed, perform another test. remove the microSD and clean its contacts with a soft cloth. Also check the quality of the contacts in the slot (they should not be deformed or oxidized).
If the preliminary measures did not give results, then you can look for the reason why the phone does not see the memory card. The cause may be in the media itself or in the device. If the problem is in the flash drive, you have to replace it. it cannot be repaired. As for the smartphones themselves, then in case of malfunction you can try to repair them yourself or in the service center.
There are several ways to deal with such problems. They are chosen depending on the cause that caused the malfunction. If it is not clear then there are several things to try.
Working with the hardware
The first step is to check what the problem is. Insert another memory card into the device and if it is detected, then the problem is in the memory card itself. If it does not, then the problem is most likely in the phone.
What the user can do in such a case? It is recommended to clean the card slot of dust, as well as wipe the contacts on the media itself. This can be done with a cotton swab.
This probably will not solve the problem, but sometimes it helps. However, if it turns out that the card slot is broken, the only way is to replace it.
Every Android device has a Recover mode. Running it will “roll back” all the questionable settings to the factory defaults. So if previously the device saw the card, but now it does not, this method can help.
- First, perform a normal reboot of the device (not turning it off and on, but just rebooting);
- If that doesn’t work, move on to recovery;
- Press power and volume down button simultaneously and hold it for up to 10 seconds (this is the most common way to access the recovery function);
- Once the device restarts, a special start menu that resembles the BIOS in Windows will open;
- Go there to Wipe cache partition (do it with buttons or by pressing on the screen, depending on the device);
- Reboot the device (reboot may take much longer than usual).
Now the card should be detected. If this does not happen you will have to work with it on your computer.
Install the memory card to your computer using an adapter. Open it through “My Computer” to see if the device. If the computer does not see the drive, then the memory card is faulty.
- Press Win R and wait for the Run window to open;
- Write there the command diskmgmt.msc;
- Now a window should open displaying all memory devices. external, internal, formatted, unformatted;
- If the letter on the card is the same as the letter on, for example, an optical drive or t. п., then you need to rename the card;
- In rare cases, renaming may solve the problem;
- If the problem is not solved in that way, you should format the card completely and create a new file system (of course you should remember to copy data from the medium before doing that);
- You can format the device from Explorer;
- Right-click on the memory card;
- A menu will open where you need to select the Format line;
- A window opens where you should remove the marker from the box next to “Quick format”;
- Specify below that you want to create file system in FAT32 format (usually this option is set by default);
- Press OK;
- Wait for the process to complete.
After that insert the memory card into your phone. It should be successfully recognized. If it still does not happen, it is possible that there is still a specific hardware malfunction.
MicroSD card recovery is a special case when the media which was successfully recognized before is suddenly no longer recognized by the same device. In this case there was no damage to the media or the phone, no changes were made to the phone software, etc. д. This method can also help if the phone reports “Can’t access memory card“, “Memory card corrupted”, etc. п.”.
This method is quite effective, but only for older cards. And only if they were working correctly before. This method is senseless for new cards.
- Connect the memory card to your PC or laptop to make sure it works;
- Open Explorer and right-click on the card;
- Select Properties in the popup menu;
- Click the Tools tab;
- Run the Disk Check, preliminarily specifying the necessity of automatic correction of detected errors and malfunctions;
- Under the same hive you can do a Surface Test with auto-remediation of bad sectors (although you don’t have to do this).
A more advanced troubleshooting option is to work on the HKLM branch. This is done in the following way:
- In the folder tree, locate the SYSTEM folder;
- From there, open the StorageDevicePolicies section;
- In the right part of the window will appear the parameters that should be changed;
- Assign a zero value to the defining parameter (write the number zero in the combination 0x00000000(1) in the brackets).
Now the card should normally interact with the phone.
The file system
There are microSD HC and microSD XC memory cards. The second option is typical for cards with capacity over 32 Gb. They have a different file system, which has its own advantages (eg, write speed and duration of recording segments), but is not recognized by all phones, tablets and other devices.
So some phones are simply not designed to support cards larger than 32GB. To change the file system in this case is almost impossible without special skills. But remember that the type (HC or XC) of the card is written right on it, so it is important to choose the right one.
WHAT TO DO IF Android DOES NOT SEE THE MEMORY CARD?
Phone doesn’t see the MicroSD flash drive: what to do, how to fix it?
Starting with androil version 6.0 it became possible to use a flash card as internal storage
device data. Now the device, after certain actions, can use the available SD memory as freely as the internal one. The article will describe how to connect the SD card in this capacity and what restrictions are imposed on it.https://axeum.ru/page/post/chto-delat-esli-telefon-ne-vidit-kartu-pamjati
https://smartbobr.This is not a diagnostic, this is just a thought about one method to fix the situation
https://dns-magazin.You can get the most out of your phone if it doesn’t respond to the touch screen.html[/spoiler]