Updating the Android operating system is not only the recommended, but also the necessary process for the stable operation of the smartphone. For the owner of the phone, this is primarily an increase in the productivity of the device, the emergence of new features, and not just the manufacturer’s error correction. Therefore, every user should know how to update Android on the phone.
The process of changing the current version of Android on the device requires the user to pay attention and fulfill several conditions.
Before moving on to changing the operating system, you need to make sure of the following:
- that the phone is charged (the recommended battery level should be at least 50%);
- that the Wi-Fi network is reliable and stable (it is important only if the computer is not used when downloading the software);
- that the USB cable with which the phone is connected to the computer is working.
During an update to 9.0, 8.0, 7.0, 6.0 or an earlier version of Android, it is forbidden to remove the battery or turn off the smartphone.
Interrupting the update process for one of these reasons can lead to irreparable consequences (you can’t do without the help of a service center).
Before installing the new version, it is recommended to save a copy of your data on a computer, transfer it to removable media or to cloud storage (make a backup).
There are two main ways to change Android yourself:
- Launching updates on the smartphone itself.
- Change software modifications using a computer.
How to install a new Android without connecting to a computer
The easiest option to change the OS version is to start the process on the smartphone itself.
Typically, the system notifies you of a new version (a notification appears at the top of the gadget screen):
Note: update algorithm for the new version Android always the same: it doesn’t matter if the operating system update is up to 5.0, 7.0 or 9.0.
Depending on the phone model and the current firmware modification, the text and design of the notification on the screen may differ.
After receiving the notification, you should click “download”, and wait for the software to load on the device.
When Android is downloaded, an appropriate message will appear in the notification panel, and the user will be asked to install or postpone the process.
Important: before you click “install now”, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the information provided above, where developers warn of a possible loss of personal data, and the need to backup.
Not always the system notifies the user about the availability of a new version of Android. The reason may be the lack of an Internet connection or the refusal to receive notifications (can be set in the “Software Update” section).
In this case, you can download the new Android manually. To do this, follow these steps:
- go to “Settings”.
- select the section “About phone” or “About device”.
- Click “Software Update”.
- after checking for the presence of new software, either the offer to install the firmware or a notification that the devices are already updated will appear on the devices screen.
How to update Android OS using a computer
You can change the Android operating system using the application from the manufacturer.
The main purpose of such programs is to create a backup copy of data, transfer photos ands to a computer, and vice versa.
Among these applications, one can distinguish Samsung kies or Smart switch for Samsung smartphones and Xperia Companion for Sony phones.
Before changing Android 4.4.2, you need to activate a special setting designed for developers. “Debugging via USB”. In later versions of the OS, this setting is hidden, and in order to activate it, you need to do the following:
- Go to Settings.
- Select “About phone”.
- Scroll down and click on the inscription “build number” several times until the message “You have become a developer” appears on the screen.
- Return to the “settings” menu and select the new section “Features for Developers”.
- Find the “USB Debugging” section and activate it.
How to download new Android using Xperia Companion
To download the firmware to your smartphone using the Xperia Companion program, you must:
- Connect the phone and run the software.
- Click on the “Software Update” section.
- Right-click on the Refresh button.
- Then confirm your choice and click the “OK” button.
- It is strictly forbidden to wait until the program finishes installing the OS (at the time of installation, turning off the program or disconnecting the smartphone from the computer).
Attention: it is impossible to return to the previous version of the OS, about which the user will be notified before installation.
How to update using Smart Switch
Smart Switch and Samsung Kies are used to install the new Android on Samsung tablets and smartphones.
To upgrade to 7.0, 8.0 or 9.0 using Smart Switch, you need to:
- Launch the application.
- Click “Continue” after the notification dialog box appears on the screen.
- Wait for the program to complete the process.
Note: if the notification about the ability to download a new version does not appear on the screen Android. this means that the latest updates are installed on the device.
How to update Android with Samsung Kies
To update, for example, Android 4.2.2, using Samsung Kies, you need to do the following:
- Run the program.
- In the dialog box, click the Update button (if the notification does not appear on the screen, the latest program update has already been installed on the device).
- Wait for the installation to complete.
The new firmware may not meet the user’s expectations (the appearance of the menu changes, new ones appear and old applications are deleted, etc.). Therefore, it is important to read during installation what changes will occur and whether it is worth updating.