How To Update Ipad Via iTunes On Computer
You may also be interested in
Apple is one of the most progressive companies in the world and is constantly working to ensure that customers are as comfortable as possible with its products. An important point of this policy is keeping iOS and Mac operating systems up to date. Updates generally optimize device performance, but may also contain new features or, for example, extend the battery life of the device.
In order to update the firmware (iOS) of your iPhone to the current version, you will need a computer with Internet access and iTunes installed, a USB cable and, of course, an iPhone.
Setting up an updated iPhone
When you pick up your iPhone, you will see a white screen and the words “Welcome” in different languages. Do not be alarmed, this means the update has been successfully completed, you just need to perform the last manipulations, such as choosing a Wi-Fi network and enabling or disabling geolocation services.
The phone will also ask you to create a password. The last step will be to press the “Start work” button on the screen. Now you have access to all the capabilities of your iPhone.
How to Update iPhone via iTunes on Computer
The world famous company Apple periodically pleases users of its products with new versions of iOS (operating system). There are situations when your smartphone displays a system message about the appearance of a new operating system, the message says about the need to install this modification, however, you cannot connect to Wi-Fi at the moment. The question arises about an alternative way to install the system, namely: How to update iPhone via iTunes on computer? We will give a detailed answer and a description of the process below in the presented article.
Create a backup
The hard drive of a computer, of course, if you do not take into account iCloud, is the ideal place to store information from the iPhone, namely its backup. If data is stored on the HDD, even with the Internet disconnected, access to the data will remain open. Another advantage of this storage location is the ability to retrieve the necessary information that is contained in the backup. All of the above indicates the need to create such a copy before updating your favorite iPhone. To create it, you need to perform the following chain of actions:
- Using a native USB cable, you need to connect your iPhone;
- After making sure that the iTunes version is up-to-date, launch it on your computer;
- Select the “File” menu item in the updated version of iTunes window, in the upper left corner;
- Click on the “Devices” section;
- Select the required item. “Create a backup”.
However, this is not the only way to back up your iOS device to your computer. To perform this action, you must select the sync settings in the iTunes menu.
Next, select the “Automatic creation of copies” section in the “Backups” item. After that, select “This computer” and click on the “Create a copy now” tab.
There are at least two ways to update your Apple smartphone using iTunes. Let’s take a closer look at each of them.
If you need to download and install an iOS update, but you can’t connect to Wi-Fi, update your iPhone using your computer. Use USB connection and connect iPhone to PC.
Launch iTunes. For a positive update result, we advise you to install the latest version of iTunes (download link) or make sure that you have exactly this version.
Click on the icon that shows the phone and click on “Software Update”.
Updating the iPhone via iTunes has its negative and positive aspects. The installation files are loaded directly into the smartphone, which means that you do not need to look for space on the always clogged system disk, delete multimedia files and programs. However, this method also has pitfalls. If either the computer or the iPhone turns off during the installation, the data from the smartphone will be lost.
Important: Be careful, check the charge level of both devices if you are using a laptop instead of a stationary PC.
Now you know how to update iPhone through iTunes on a computer, but there is another method with which you can do this operation.
This method eliminates any loss of information in the event of a sudden shutdown of any of the devices. Let’s do a few basic steps for this: On the Internet, download the file from iOS of the version you need to update the iPhone. Turn off Find My iPhone on your mobile device.
Launch iTunes. Check if the installed version of this program is up to date. Use a USB cable to connect your iPhone to your computer. Click on the icon that shows the phone in the synchronization settings in the upper area of the program window.
Press “Refresh” while holding down the Shift key on your keyboard. Find in the list of files on the computer the file of the required firmware with the typical ipsw extension for it. Click on the “Open” button, then on “Update”. Next, the process of installing the latest version of iOS on the smartphone should automatically begin. If there is any failure during the installation process, restart it. All your information will remain on your smartphone.
Actually, that’s all, and now you know how to update iPhone via iTunes on a computer, which is especially convenient when your mobile device does not have Wi-Fi or high-speed mobile Internet. This is a fairly easy process, however, do not forget to be careful to avoid losing important information.
Updating iPhone via iTunes: Method One
If the iPhone requires downloading a more modern version of the operating system, and it is not possible to connect to Wi-Fi, this process can be carried out using a computer.
How do I update my iPhone through iTunes? To do this, you need to do the following:
- Connect iPhone to Computer with USB Cable.
- Launch iTunes and make sure the latest version is installed.
- Click on the phone icon on the top panel and click the “Software Update” button.
There is a positive point about updating iPhone via iTunes. Indeed, in this case, the installation files are not downloaded directly to the smartphone. Accordingly, they do not need to specifically free up space on the iPhone memory card.
The negative point of this update method is as follows: if during the installation of a more modern version of iOS the smartphone or computer suddenly turns off, then all the data stored in the iPhone will be lost.
Now you know an easy way how to update iPhone via computer using iTunes application. Below will be described the second method of installing a more modern version of iOS on the phone using the same program.
So, next we will consider how else you can update the iPhone through iTunes.
Iphone Recovery via iTunes
After the phone is restored, all data stored on it will be deleted. That is why, before starting such a procedure, you must definitely create a backup copy of your mobile device.
How to update iPhone by restoring it? To do this, you need to do the following:
- Download the file of the required iOS version.
- Launch iTunes and make sure it doesn’t need an update.
- Connect iPhone to Computer with USB Cable.
- Go to the synchronization settings by clicking on the phone icon in the top panel of the program.
- Press the “Restore iPhone.” button while holding Shift (for Mac operating system. Alt key).
- Select the required firmware file with the extension.Ipsw in the window that appears. Press the “Open” button, then the “Restore” button that appears.
Also in iTunes there is an option to restore iPhone when you do not need to download the firmware file. The program will independently carry out this process after SIMply pressing the corresponding button in the synchronization settings window. The danger of this procedure is that if iTunes finds that it is possible to install a more modern version of the operating system, it will definitely do it. The consequence of this may be the reset of all the settings of the mobile device and the loss of important information for you contained in the iPhone.
How to update iPhone through “iTunes”? Iphone firmware: how to restore iPhone / iPad via iTunes
Apple periodically releases updated versions of its iOS operating system. Sometimes it happens that the smartphone issues a notification about the need to install a more modern OS modification, but there is no way to connect to Wi-Fi. In such a situation, the owners of Apple mobile devices have a question: how to update the iPhone via iTunes? The article contains answers to this and a number of related questions.
How to update iPhone 4s and other models of this device using iTunes and not lose all the necessary information in the event of an error? To do this, you need to do the following:
- Download the file of the required iOS version.
- Disable Find My iPhone on your smartphone.
- Launch iTunes and make sure it doesn’t need an update.
- Connect iPhone to Computer with USB Cable.
- Go to the synchronization settings by clicking on the phone icon in the top bar of the application.
- Press the “Refresh” button while holding down Shift (for Mac operating system. Alt key).
- Select the required firmware file with the extension.Ipsw in the window that appears. Press the “Open” button, then the “Update” button that appears. After that, the process of installing a more modern version of iOS on the smartphone will begin. If any failure occurs during the update, the process can be restarted without losing important information from the iPhone.
Below will be described how to update on iPhone iOS by restoring it.
Updating your device wirelessly
If an update message appears, click Install. You can also do the following.
- Put the device on charge and connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
- Go to the “Settings” “General” and then click “Software Update”.
- Click Download and Install. If a message appears asking you to temporarily uninstall applications because more free space is required to update the software, click Continue or Cancel. After updating iOS or iPadOS will reinstall the uninstalled apps. Find out what to do if you choose the “Cancel” option.
- Click Install to start the update. You can also tap Later and choose Install Tonight or Remind Me Later. If you chose the “Install tonight” option, just plug the device into a power source before going to bed. It will automatically update overnight.
- Enter a password if required. If you forgot your password, see the instructions in this article.
The first way to update without Wi-Fi
The first method will help you update iPhone 4 and other models through your computer if you cannot sync devices over Wi. Fi. To use it, you need to have the cable from the original kit. The instructions for this method are SIMple:
- Run the iTunes utility;
- Click on the smartphone icon;
- Click on the “Software Update” button.
Now you just have to wait for the completion of the procedure. This method has a positive side. Updates from a remote server are downloaded directly to the device. You don’t have to look for space on your hard drive.
The negative point is that if you disconnect any of the devices, the data from the phone will be lost. Therefore, before updating iPhone 4s via a computer, you need to check the smartphone’s charge level.
How to prepare for an iPhone update?
In order not to lose your data, you need to properly prepare for the installation of updates. To do this, you need to make a backup copy of all data and carry out other manipulations. The backup file can be stored on your computer or in the iCloud cloud storage. If you chose the first option, then before updating your iPhone via a computer, you need to do the following:
- Connect the phone to the PC with the original cable. Chinese wires are not of high quality, they often break the connection.
- Check your iTunes version. It should be the last. After installation or verification, run the program.
- Find the section “About the device”, in it you need to click on the backup button.
Error messages on your computer or not enough free space for updates
Learn what to do if you receive error messages while updating your device using a computer. Additionally, if the update fails due to insufficient free space, you can manually delete the content from your device.
By updating your iOS or iPadOS to the latest version, you can get access to the latest features, security updates, and forget about old issues. Some features are not available on all devices or in all regions. Many factors, including network conditions and usage, affect battery and system performance, so actual performance may vary.
From time to time, owners of Apple smartphones and tablets receive messages that they urgently need to update the software of their device. The easiest way to do this is through iTunes. Installed on a computer with any operating system. You can connect to a PC using a cable or Wi. Fi. Let’s figure out how to update iPhone via iTunes on computer.
Potential iPhone update issues and solutions
There are often problems with the update. Here are typical situations and tell you about the preferred user actions in them:
- Synchronization problems accompanied by error code 0xe8000015 or any other. The first thing that is required from the user is to reboot both devices. In most cases, this is sufficient to solve the problem. If it persists, connect the cable to a different USB port. On stationary machines, it is best to choose the connectors that are located on the motherboard. You can also disconnect all USB peripherals from your PC, especially USB sticks.
- When you connect a modern model that requires an update to your computer, iTunes should automatically ask you to install a more recent firmware version. This often does not happen. In this case, you need to open iTunes yourself. Then click on the phone’s image, a list of available settings will appear on the right side of the screen. Find the “Browse” item, and on the left (main) part of the screen, find the “Update” button. Then you need to act according to the prompts that appear in the program.
- You cannot find the original cable. In this case, you can try to update in the second way. When connecting via Wi. Fi, in most cases, changing the firmware to the latest version will not be available to you, you can only exchange multimedia files and create a backup copy.
- The smartphone does not turn on after the update. Most often, this problem occurs when you first change the firmware, for example, if one of the devices is turned off in the process. Try charging your device and retrying the update. If this does not help, then take it to a service center.
Now you know that updating iPhone via computer is not that difficult. You only need a little time and an original cable. The firmware is loaded with a standard utility.
There are two ways to update iOS to the latest version. Using the iTunes progressive media player or directly from your smartphone, tablet or player wirelessly. There are no functional differences between the methods. The difference is in the method of downloading the update files. In the first case, Apple equipment will have to be connected to a PC via USB, in the second. To download data using Wi-Fi (intermediate updates can take from 100 megabytes to several gigabytes of free space, downloading such volumes using a mobile network takes too long, and is also expensive ).
Possible upgrade errors
There can be several reasons why there are problems downloading updates:
- Lack of free space. Even before the start of the procedure, the iOS operating system will try to automatically free up some space on the internal memory. It will move application data to the cloud storage, delete information about past updates, or try to compress photos. If there is still little space, then users will have to manually look into the “Storage” in the “Settings” and remove at least a few programs, songs or videos that are no longer needed;
- Update reset due to long download. If the gadget cannot quickly save the necessary files from Wi-Fi, then the process is immediately reset. The problem is solved either by updating through iTunes or by finding a more stable wireless network for communication;
- Server access error. There is no specific way to avoid such notification. Therefore, you will have to try different methods, ranging from a standard reboot of a mobile device to resetting all settings to the factory level;
- If the smartphone stops turning on, go through the restore procedure through iTunes. The firmware file must be downloaded from the IPSW.ME website;
- The last option is to re-download the update. If none of the above options helped to solve the problem with installing new software, then it remains to go to “Settings”, then. “General”, and then. “iPhone Storage”. In the list of programs and applications already installed in the system, you need to find the item “iOS Update” and click on the “Delete” button. After that, it will remain to reboot the device and re-check for updates. Most likely, this time everything will work as originally intended.
If an error occurs when updating over the air or there is not enough free space
Learn what to do if you receive an error message when trying to update over the wireless network. If the update fails over a wireless connection due to insufficient free space, you can update the software using a computer or manually delete the content from the device. Whether the update is installed via a computer or wirelessly, the free space on the device will not change after the process is complete.
Some OS updates cannot be installed over the wireless network. A VPN or proxy server connection may prevent the device from communicating with update servers.
An alternative option to install the latest version of iOS is to download the iTunes media player from the official Apple website, install (if an update is required, you must agree, otherwise access to the latest software versions may be blocked) and connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to your computer using USB.
- In the main iTunes menu, find the button to go to the device settings;
On the left side of the interface that appears, find the menu and select the “Browse” item, and on the right. Click on the “Update” button that appears;
Next, the system will calculate the time required for downloading, and then it will start updating (you will also have to enter the password). And most importantly, touching the smartphone while the system is performing the necessary manipulations is not worth it.
IOS update from a gadget
The software update procedure begins with a mandatory Wi-Fi connection. The connection must be stable and fast enough to download the required set of files. Then it remains to act according to the instructions described below:
- Open “Settings”, select the “General” menu item, and then. “Software update”;
Within a second, the system will start checking with the data center and check if any adjustments are available for the current software version. If yes, then the “Download and install” item will appear, and at the same time. A complete overview of the current iOS changes with a link to the source;
The update procedure is standard. First, the required installation files are downloaded, and the gadget reboots and performs the necessary manipulations.
By the way, it is not possible to carry out the update immediately, but at a certain time, it is worth choosing the option not “Download and install”, which is described above, but click on the “Install later” item, after which it will be possible to set the time interval for the update. It is important to remember that the device must be put on charge, otherwise the system will not fulfill the instructions.
And one more thing. The software installation will not start until the user enters the lock password.
Connection and configuration
Let’s start with the obvious. To solve our problem today, you need to use the same Apple ID account on iPad and iTunes. To directly connect the tablet to a computer, it is imperative to use the complete (proprietary) USB cable or its high-quality analogue. In addition, the PC will need to be authorized. Each of these actions, as well as the nuances that can be encountered in the process of their implementation, were previously discussed in detail in a separate article. Read it and follow the suggested recommendations (Step 1-3) before proceeding to the next stage.
Despite the fact that iTunes automatically checks the correctness of the installation of the iOS / iPadOS update, it will not be superfluous to make sure that this procedure is successful in person by accessing the device information directly on the iPad itself.
Go to the “General” section.
Then select the subsection “About this device”.
Opposite the item “Software version” its number will be indicated, corresponding to the one that you could see in the program on the PC.
If necessary and to provide maximum confidence, you can go back one step (to the “Basic” section of the settings) and open the “Software update” subsection. A check will start, after which you will see that the latest software is installed on the tablet.
Updating iPad via iTunes on computer
If a particular iPad model is still supported by Apple, the company will regularly release iOS updates for it, which with the release of version 13 was called iPadOS (in terms of compatible devices). It is possible to update the operating system on the tablet if two conditions are met. A stable connection to a Wi-Fi network and a sufficient amount of free space in the internal storage. If you do not have access to wireless Internet or you just want to perform this procedure on a PC, you should contact iTunes for help.
Updating iPad via iTunes
In fact, updating the iPad via iTunes can be an effective solution not only if there is no Wi-Fi connection on the tablet, but also when the latter’s memory is almost completely full. True, here it should be clarified that we are not talking about critical situations when there is no free space from the word at all, but only about those when it is quite a bit less than what is required to download the update (the latter, on average, “weigh” 3. 3.5 GB). The thing is that the program downloads the necessary files to the PC, and then unpacks them to the internal storage.
In order to update the iPad in iTunes, you need to follow a SIMple aLGorithm, which we will consider in detail below.
Now that the tablet is connected to the program, the computer is authorized, and the backup has been successfully created, you can proceed to the direct update of the operating system. This is done as follows:
- When you are in the iPad control section in iTunes (you can switch to it by clicking on the icon made in the form of a tablet thumbnail), directly in its “Browse” tab, use the “Refresh” button on the right.
If an iOS / iPadOS update is available, the program will prompt you to download and update it almost immediately. Over, this can happen immediately when the device is connected / detected.
If your device is running the latest version of the mobile operating system, a corresponding notification and a date will be displayed in the same area of the window, after which iTunes will automatically check the availability of the new software version.
After clicking the button, the following notification may appear in the window prompting you to download the update:
Therefore, the items reported in it need to be transferred from iPad to iTunes library. To do this, click the “Cancel” button in the window from the screenshot above, call the “File” menu in the program and successively go to the items “Devices”. “Move purchases from.”.
As soon as this action is completed, again use the “Update” button in the “Overview” tab, then click “Download and update” in the window with a message about the availability of an update, and then confirm your intentions by clicking the “Update” button in the following.
Immediately after that, a window will appear in iTunes describing the features of updating the operating system. Click “Next” in it,
Then read the safety information and click “Accept”.
As soon as you do this, the download of the iOS / iPadOS update will begin, the progress of which can be observed in the corresponding subsection of the iTunes program.
When the update file is downloaded to the computer, it will automatically start unpacking (extracting),
Which will be followed by a data backup procedure (it will be performed even if you previously created a backup yourself. This is a necessary precaution).
Upon completion of the preparation and to continue, or rather, to directly start installing the update on the iPad, click in the dialog box that appears on the “Continue” button,
And on the tablet lock screen, enter the security passcode, after which it will be rebooted.
The Apple logo will appear on the screen of the device with an indicator filling under it. Do not under any circumstances turn off his computer. The update procedure itself takes place in several stages.
- Preparing for the upgrade;
Once the update is complete, the tablet will automatically reboot. Wait for it to start in the system and enter the password code. Immediately after that, you can disconnect the USB cable from the PC and the device, and also close the iTunes program.
It’s so easy, although not very fast, you can update your iPad via iTunes to the latest available version of the operating system.
Making a backup
In rare cases, the procedure for installing an iOS and / or iPadOS update may fail, the most negative (and extremely unlikely) consequence of which may be the failure of a mobile device and / or loss of data stored on it. To avoid this and, if such a need still arises, to be able to restore all information, you should create a backup copy. We also talked about how this is done in a separate article. It was written using the iPhone as an example, but the aLGorithm of actions is no different from that in the case of the iPad.
If your task is not only to update the tablet from Apple to the latest version of the operating system, but also to return it to the state as after purchase, you will need to act in a slightly different way, comprehensively. First of all, you need to disable the Find My iPhone / iPad function on it, then connect it to your computer and create a backup, and only after that you can start the recovery procedure. In more detail about all the nuances, as well as about solving possible problems that may be encountered during its implementation, we previously wrote in separate articles, links to which are presented below.
Now you know how to update iPad via iTunes. Note that in most cases this problem can be solved without using a computer; moreover, this approach is more convenient and takes less time.