How To Update Bios On A Windows 7 Computer
Before updating the BIOS, you need to find out a few things. Firstly, find out what it is, and secondly, whether an update is available. The last thing to remember is updating the BIOS is a very important and crucial step, which should be done only as a last resort because of the great risk of harming the system.
BIOS. a set of microprograms stored on a microcircuit of the motherboard, responsible for the implementation of the interaction of the hardware of the computer with its software. the operating system. Update the program code contained on the BIOS chip. reprogram, replace the firmware code with a new, improved one. Sometimes this leads to the disclosure of the hardware potential of a computer running Windows 7, thus increasing stability and correcting deficiencies in the operation of equipment, new opportunities open up, support for new devices and so on.
Based on the foregoing, it is worth updating the BIOS, but you must do this carefully, following the recommendations and instructions of the motherboard manufacturers, and also realizing that there is always a tiny fraction of the probability of harming not only the motherboard, but also other computer components.
There are problems in case of incorrect execution of instructions, a damaged firmware file, power outages during the update, and so on.
We determine the version
Before updating the BIOS firmware set, you need to make sure that the update is available. To do this, determine the firmware version of the motherboard. This is done easily. The manufacturer must indicate the BIOS version on a sticker or print on the system board. You can find the same information on the box or in the documentation for the equipment. It has the form of "Rev x.xx".
You can also find out the BIOS version using Windows 7: open “Start”, type “msinfo32” in the search box and press “Enter”. In the window that opens, look for the corresponding line.
There are also many applications, HWInfo, CPU-Z, AIDA, displaying this data.
Recently, this method has been losing popularity for PCs under Windows 7 due to the appearance of simpler ones. For firmware from under DOS, download the latest console version of the firmware from the official website of the motherboard manufacturer. Then create a bootable USB flash drive, for example, via BootIce, and write to it the downloaded file along with the firmware utility (awdflash.exe). In autoexec.bat, we write this program and the path to the file itself from the firmware. The command will look like: "awdflash.exe new_version_bios.bin". Additionally, having studied the parameters of the command, you can specify the creation of a backup copy of the current firmware. We boot from the media and all actions are performed automatically.
Video: How To Update Bios On A Windows 7 Computer
A simple and convenient option to update BIOS on a computer is to use the proprietary software of the motherboard developers. Download the application from the developer’s site. Typically, it contains the word Update and the brand name (MSI LiveUpdate or ASUSUpdate).
The process of working with such BIOS programs is simple.
- Install and run the utility.
- We indicate the method we want to use (update from the Internet or from the firmware file stored on a computer with Windows 7).
Knowing the edition of the motherboard firmware set and its model, we go to the manufacturer’s website in search of a file that allows updating the BIOS. Depending on the manufacturer, the BIOS update file is located in different sections. But usually these are the “Download” and “Support” sections. After finding the latest version of the firmware, we check with ours and conclude that it needs to be replaced. If the site has a newer firmware, download it to a computer with Windows 7.
- We make a backup copy of the current installed firmware.
- Depending on the method, select the server to search for the update, click on the "Update" button or indicate the path to the previously downloaded update file.
- We confirm the execution of the firmware and wait.
- Reboot the computer.
Updating by the system itself
Another simple method to flash the BIOS and the motherboard is to use the update capabilities of the basic I / O system using its own functionality. Consider the example of a BIOS with a new graphical interface. UEFI.
- As before, in order to update the system board firmware, you need to download the latest BIOS version to a Windows 7 computer from the manufacturer’s official page.
- Unpack the archive in a convenient place (it is better to unzip the downloaded file to a removable drive).
- We go into the settings of the basic input / output system using the Del, F11, F2 key or another (see the instructions for the motherboard or a hint during the initialization of the equipment).
- Go to the “Advanced Mode” editing menu (F7 key) and confirm the action.
- Go to the “Service” or “Tool” tab, where we select the proprietary utility. In our case, this is Asus EZ Flash 2.
- We select the firmware on the flash drive and allow the program to read it.
- Further, we agree to update the BIOS.
The firmware process will drag on for several tens of seconds, after which Windows 7 will reboot.