How to Transfer Photos From Smartphone to Computer
Why do people copy photos from a smartphone to a computer? Someone simply stores them on a larger disk, someone wants to free up space on the phone, and someone edits them on a PC. There can be many reasons, there are as many ways to transfer images from one device to another. Let us dwell on the most convenient and fastest.
Ways to transfer files from phone to PC
This article will discuss the following methods of downloading images from a mobile device to a computer.
- By USB cable. a classic option. Its main advantage is speed and reliability. To connect the phone to a PC, special programs are not needed, and a cable is included with any mobile gadget. In addition, data is transmitted faster by cable than by network.
- Using an SD card or flash drive. Almost the same convenient and fast way to transfer data as the first. If there is a USB flash drive or SD card with a reader for connecting to a computer, but there is no USB cable, then it is better to prefer it.
- Via bluetooth. This option is usually used for difficulties with connecting to the Internet, the absence of an SD card and a suitable cable. The slowest and most unstable way.
- Over wifi. Not the easiest, but universal and fast data transfer method. However, it requires the use of additional applications or services to send files from one device to another.
How to transfer photos using cable
As mentioned above, cable connection is the easiest and most reliable way to transfer photos from a mobile device to a computer. You do not have to install any additional programs.
Regardless of the brand, whether it be ZTE, Samsung or Apple, all gadgets are equipped with mini-USB, USB-C or Lighting-wires.
- Connect the smartphone to the computer using the USB cable and wait until it appears in Windows Explorer.
- On Windows 7 and newer versions of this operating system, the connected mobile device will appear in the “This / My Computer” menu.
- Open the folder with the name of the phone in Explorer and find the directory with photos in it. In the case of iOS, this is the / DCIM folder (as on many cameras). In the case of Android. SDcard / DCIM or Phone / DCIM, depending on the version.
- After that, just copy the pictures from the phone and paste into any folder on your computer.
Using a flash drive or memory card
Another method that you can use if your phone has a microSD card. To transfer photos from her to PC:
- Connect the card to the computer using a card reader (adapter).
- Open Explorer.
- Locate the / DCIM folder on the map.
- Copy from it all the photos you need.
The same goes for USB drives. The only difference is that first you have to connect the USB flash drive to the smartphone via the adapter from USB-A to micro / mini-USB and upload the photo manually to it. This process may look different depending on the device and file system. It usually consists in simply transferring files from one folder to another.
Snapshots, as you recall, are stored in the / DCIM directory, and the folder of the connected flash drive can be called differently. After connecting to the phone, it will appear in the file and folder management program.
This file transfer method is already outdated, but is still used when it comes to transferring photos from an Android phone to a Windows computer.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your phone and PC.
- Open the picture on your phone.
- Click on the Share button.
- Select the option “Transfer file via Bluetooth”, if any.
- Accept the file on the computer.
The complexity of the method lies in the fact that not all computers have a Bluetooth module and its software (usually it is only on laptops). For a stationary PC, the adapter will have to be purchased separately.
In addition, by default, the Bluetooth function on the computer where it is available may be turned off. To enable it on Windows 10, launch the Settings application, open the “Bluetooth and other devices” section and move the “Bluetooth” slider to the “on” position.
If your phone and computer are connected to Wi-Fi, you will not need a cable or flash drive to transfer data. You can share files over the network, sometimes even faster. The only condition is that you need to install a program to transfer objects over the Internet to either device or only to the phone.
Previously, Apple’s devices were closely associated with iTunes and only synchronized with the computer using this program. Now the situation looks completely different. The App Store has tons of apps for sending photos and other files from iPhone or iPad to PC.
Documents (free) is a Ukrainian development, which for a short time of its development received the title of almost the main file manager for Apple smartphones and tablets. The application language is Russian. Documents recently added the ability to transfer files from a phone to a computer and vice versa over a wireless network.
- Open the Documents by Readdle app on your iOS device.
- Go to the “Services” item.
- Click on the Wi-Fi Transfer button.
- Open a web browser on your computer and go to docstransfer.com.
- Scan the QR code that appears on the monitor with your phone’s camera.
- Then select the “Photos” folder on your computer and manually upload the photos you want (you can download entire albums at once).
All is ready!
Send Anywhere (free) is another application for sending photos from a mobile device to a computer, working on a similar principle with Documents. The application language is English.
To transfer images via Send Anywhere, do the following:
- Open the Send Anywhere app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Mark the photos you want to send to your PC.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
- A special code will appear to access the files on another device.
- Then open send-anywhere.com on the computer.
- Enter the six-digit code from the phone in the browser.
After that, the file (or several files) is automatically downloaded to the system.
Zapya (free). this service differs from the previous two by the need to install proprietary software not only on a phone or tablet, but also on a computer. This is justified by the principle of the service. The application language is English. To send photos via you need:
- Open Zapya on your phone and select a photo to send.
- Click on the Send button in the lower right corner.
- Open Zapya on a computer with Windows 7 or a newer version of the system.
- Wait for Windows to appear on the radar in Zapya, and select it.
After that, the document will be sent to the computer.
iCloud Drive is Apple’s built-in cloud storage that automatically saves photos on the company’s servers. To access these images from your computer, you need to download iCloud for Windows.
When setting up the application, check the box next to “iCloud Photo Sharing”.
After installing it:
- In Explorer on your computer, open the iCloud Photos folder.
- Click on the button “Upload photos ands”
Instead of iCloud, you can use another popular storage. Dropbox. It is enough to register an account and install proprietary applications on both devices.
How to transfer photos via Dropbox:
- When launched on a smartphone, the application will ask if it is possible to upload photos to the cloud automatically.
- Confirm your agreement, then all your pictures will be transferred to the cloud.
- Open dropbox.com on your computer.
- Find the desired photo and click “Download”.
With Android, unlike iOS, there are usually no problems transferring files from device to device. This system is “open” in the technical sense. third-party program developers have access to many functions and components of the system, so there are more ways to transfer data. Nevertheless, the option with third-party programs works best, so we will talk about them later. applications for transferring photos via Wi-Fi.
AirDroid (free) is one of the first such programs that appeared during the “dawn” of the Android operating system and still works. The application language is Russian.
To download pictures from AirDroid:
- Open the application on your smartphone or tablet.
- Register an account.
- Select AirDroid Web.
- Open a browser on your computer and enter in the search bar the address displayed in AirDroid.
After that, an interface for uploading photos from Android will appear on the computer screen. It is enough to select the desired picture and click “Download”.
Mi Drop (free). despite the fact that this program was created by Xiaomi, it can also be used on other gadgets. It will start on conditional Huawei or ASUS without any problems. The application language is English.
To send photos to Mi Drop:
- Open the app on your phone or tablet.
- Go to the side menu and click on the Connect to Computer button.
- Then open the browser on your PC and enter the address of the created FTP server there (it is displayed in Mi Drop).
- When connected, the system file manager will open, and it will contain all the files stored on the smartphone.
- Find the DCIM folder among them.
- Copy photos to your computer’s hard drive.
Pushbulet (free) is another similar program for transferring files between devices. Perhaps the fastest and easiest option of all, since it does not require unnecessary actions. It’s enough to have a Google or Facebook account. The application language is English.
To send photos to Pushbullet:
- Open the Pushbullet on your mobile device.
- Sign in using your Google or Facebook account.
- Open pushbullet.com on your computer.
- Log in using your Google or Facebook account.
- On both devices, a chat window will open, in which you can chat with yourself, sending both text messages and files.
- To send a photo, click on a paper clip and select a photo.
Unlike iOS, in Android, any service can transfer data over the network in the background, so the choice of cloud storage with automatic upload of photos to the cloud is much greater.
The easiest way is to use the built-in Google Drive service. It is configured by default and automatically synchronizes all images with the cloud, which means that you do not need to configure anything on your mobile device.
To transfer photos to your PC using Google Photos:
- Open photos.google.com.
- Log in with your Google Account.
- Highlight all the pictures you want.
- Press Shift D.
All marked photos will appear in the Downloads folder on the computer.
Few people pay attention to the fact that this messenger works according to the Pushbullet principle and can act as a full-fledged cloud file storage.
In Telegram, you can start a separate chat with yourself and send yourself an unlimited number of documents. just like you do when communicating with other people.
- Open the Saved Messages chat.
- Click on the paper clip at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the photos you want to send.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
Now these pictures are available on all gadgets where Telegram is installed.