How To Reset Password On A Smartphone
Sometimes Windows 10 clients forget the password for their account. To restore access to it and get to the “Desktop”, you need to reset the old combination and install a new one.
How to reset password on Windows 10
Any user can invalidate an old password without reinstalling Windows 10. Today we’ll look at all the possible methods.
When you enter the wrong combination of characters, the system displays a message that the password is incorrect and prompts you to enter it again
Before following the instructions described below, make sure of the following:
- The caps lock button is off. It translates characters to uppercase, that is, if it is active, there is a set of only capital letters. Usually on the keyboard of stationary computers there is a special indicator of this key. If it is on, turn it off (press it once). On laptops, there is usually no indicator, so try clicking on this button and entering the password again.
- The necessary keyboard layout is installed, that is, the language of the text to be typed. If it does not match the character language in your password, hold down the Shift Alt key combination to change it. The language icon is usually also located in the lower right corner of the screen to enter. You can click on it with the mouse. If there is a necessary layout, try to recall the possible combinations that you could use as a password. If no options come to mind, go to the methods described below.
Change your account password online
This method will solve the login problem only if you have previously worked on the device through a Microsoft account. If you did not register it or you have it, but you use the PC just as a local user (that is, this is a separate account that is not associated with a Microsoft account), this method of resetting your password will not work for you. you should immediately proceed to other methods. So, how to change the password online on the Microsoft website?
- We follow this link to get to the official Microsoft page. You will be immediately asked why you are unable to log in to your account. We put a round mark to the left of the first option “I do not remember my password.” After that, click on “Next”. Indicate the reason you can’t log in to your Microsoft account
- Now in the first field enter your email address or phone number to which the account was linked. In the second field, you need to print a character set (captcha) from the image, consisting of Latin letters and numbers. If you cannot see them, click on “New” or “Audio” so that the system replaces the set or pronounces it. Enter and click on “Next”. Enter your email address or your phone number in the field
- An e-mail with a special code will be sent to your e-mail, so you must have access to the e-mail account. Open it and find the letter from Microsoft Live (it usually goes right there or within a few minutes). Copy the code or just remember and type it in the appropriate field on the Microsoft website. Click on “Next” now. Enter the code that came to your email in the field
- Two new fields will appear in which you need to enter a new password. The second field is needed to confirm it. Be sure to remember it, but rather fix it in a notebook, to which only you have access. After entering, click on “Next”. Enter the new password in the first field and repeat it in the second
- On the next page you will be notified that the password has been successfully replaced. You are notified that account access has been successfully restored
Now you can log in to your account using the new combination.
Enter a new account password in the field
Due to the installation disk or flash drive
For this method, you need a medium (CD, USB flash drive, etc.) with the Windows 10 distribution installed. We will boot the system through it and, using certain actions, change the password for the account. We proceed immediately to a detailed description of the manipulations:
- Turn on the computer. When it starts to boot, enter the BIOS using the Delete key. The button to enter this menu may be different: it all depends on the PC model. You can find information about this button on the website of the developer of your device or in the instruction manual that came with the device if the Delete key did not work.
- In the blue BIOS menu, in the First Boot Device parameter, set the boot from the media on which there is a Windows distribution. Install the media with the Windows distribution in the First Boot Device parameter
- Connect the drive with the Windows 10 distribution to your laptop. If it is a disk, insert it into the drive. Reboot the PC.
- When the drive boots up, select the installation language and simultaneously hold down two keys on your keyboard: Shift F10. This command should open the editor we need, in particular, “Command line”.
- If the black window does not appear on the screen, add Fn to this key combination. If it doesn’t work again, click on the “System Restore” link located in the lower left corner of the screen. Click on the “System Restore” link
- Now select the second section called “Troubleshooting”. Click on “Troubleshooting” to go to the “Command Prompt”
- In the next window we make a choice in favor of the item “Advanced options”. The next step is to launch the Command Prompt.
Now we pass directly to the commands that need to be executed in the running black editor. We describe the procedure in detail:
- We type the word diskpart in the line. Click on Enter. After that we enter the list volume command. Your task is to remember the letter of the hard drive on which your OS is installed, since it may not always be the “C:” drive. You will enter this letter at the beginning of all subsequent commands. To complete the first diskpart command, type exit and press Enter on your keyboard. Run the diskpart and list volume commands one at a time
- We do not say goodbye to the “Command Line”, as we need to enter a few more commands in it. The first is move c: \ windows \ system32 \ utilman.exe c: \ windows \ system32 \ utilman2.exe. Copy it using the context menu or the keyboard shortcut Ctrl C and paste it into the black editor. Press Enter to execute it.
- The second command is as follows: copy c: \ windows \ system32 \ cmd.exe c: \ windows \ system32 \ utilman.exe. We also copy and paste in the editor, and then press Enter. Run two commands in turn on the Command Prompt
- Now you need to restart the device. We print the wpeutil reboot command in the editor for this. It is no longer necessary to copy here, since it is short and you are unlikely to make a mistake. You also have the right to restart your device in another way.
- This time we boot not from the drive with the Windows 10 distribution, but from the system drive.
- A window appears with a field for entering a password. Here we click on the “Accessibility” icon located in the lower right corner. Again, the already familiar black editor for entering commands will start. Re-open the “Command Prompt” after rebooting the PC
- We print the following in the window: net user username new_password. To launch the team, we traditionally press Enter. If the username, that is, your account, does not consist of one but several words, you need to quote it.
- In the event that, unfortunately, you do not know what your system name is, use the net users command to view the list and select the account you need.
- After executing the command, the system will ask you to enter a new password twice. We print it and each time we press Enter. Note that when typing, characters will not be displayed. This is a safety feature. Now you can close the “Command Prompt”. Enter the new password twice: first on one line and then on another
- After setting a new password, you can immediately log into your account on your PC.
Using the “Command Line”
This method is suitable for versions of Windows 10 such as Professional or Enterprise. For other options, the method will not work. If you do not have a Microsoft account and installation flash drive or disk, this instruction will be one of the best option for you.
The solution to the problem is to log into the system through the administrator account and then change the password in the “Computer Management” window. We will tell you in detail about the steps:
- Launch the black command line editor on your PC using the instructions in the section “Due to the installation disk or flash drive” of this article. In particular, you need to click on the “Accessibility” icon.
- This time we will enter other commands. The first one is the following: net user Admin / active: yes. Note that for the English version of Windows 10, you must enter the English word Administrator, and not Russian. Paste the command and press Enter. Insert the command net user Admin / active: yes in the “Command Prompt”
- After these actions, another Administrator account will appear in the lower left corner. Come through it. No password is required here. Enter into Windows using the Administrator account
- Now right-click on the “Start” button in the lower left corner. In the large list of options, select the “Computer Management” section. Select “Computer Management” in the context menu
- In the window that starts, in particular, in its left part we find the item “Local users and groups” and click on it. Open the “Local Users and Groups” section.
- In the right part of the window, double-click the “Users” folder. We are looking for ourselves (our account) in the list. We click on this item with the right button. In the small menu we make a choice in favor of “Set Password”. In the context menu of the item that corresponds to your account, click on “Set Password”
- We read the system message with a warning and click on “Continue”. We read the warning and click on “Continue”
- We print a new password and save it. Now you can log into your account under a new combination. In the new window, enter the password twice and click OK
- After restarting the computer, on the login screen, open “Command Prompt” again and enter the net user Admin / active: no command in the black editor so that the administrator account disappears from the list of available ones.
We use the “Registry Editor”
You can replace the old password with a new one using special manipulations in the “Registry Editor” window. Let’s consider this method in more detail:
- We again log into the system under the “Administrator” account as described in the “Using the Command Line” section of this article. Open the “Command Line”.
- In the editor, enter the word regedit. It will launch the “Registry Editor” we need.
- In the left part of the window, open the third main branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder in the left part of the window.
- Now we turn our attention to the top panel of the window and click on “File”, and then on “Download bush”. Click on the “File” section and select the “Download Bush” option.
- In the “Windows Explorer” look for the config folder, and then the SYSTEM file. Now click on “Open.” Select the SYSTEM file and click on the “Open” button
- We write an arbitrary name in the “Section Name” field only in Latin letters. Click on OK. Type an arbitrary name in the field and click OK
- We go into the newly created branch and open the Setup folder. Open the Setup folder in the downloaded bush
- We are looking for the CmdLine parameter. Double-click on it and change the value to cmd.exe. Change the value of the CmdLine parameter to cmd.exe
- We also find the item SetupType in the list, open it and set the value to 2.
- In the left part of the window, click on the section you created earlier with the left mouse button. Now click on “File” and then on “Unload Bush.” After that, confirm your action. Click on “File” again, and then select “Unload Bush”
- Reboot the device. After the lock screen appears with a field for entering a password, “Command Prompt” will appear. In the editor, enter the following: net user user_name user_pswrd. In this command, user_name is the name of your account, and user_pswrd is your new password. Enter the net user command and add the name of your account and a new password to the line
- Now execute the exit command to exit the black editor and return to the login window. We write a new password and finally go to your account. Enter the exit command and press Enter to exit the “Command Prompt” and enter a new password in the login field
Password reset using account recovery apps
If you do not have an installation drive with a Windows distribution, you can download a special program for password recovery to any empty medium and log in to it to change the password. Programs are boot disk images.
They need to be downloaded and simply transferred to an empty drive (disk or flash drive). Since you cannot do this on your computer, you will have to ask someone to record the image.
Offline Windows Password Registry Editor: free utility without interface
Offline Windows Password Registry Editor is a free boot disk image. The main feature is the lack of a graphical interface. To work in the utility, you need to enter commands from the keyboard.
Offline Windows Password Registry Editor there is no graphical interface: all commands are entered from the keyboard in a black editor, which is similar to the “Command line”
What are the features and functions of this program?
- Finds all user accounts, even blocked and disabled;
- resets the password of the “Administrator”;
- restores access not only to local accounts, but also to Microsoft accounts;
- works for all versions of Windows;
- supports 32-bit and 64-bit systems;
- edits the Windows registry (for example, to remove viruses from startup).
You can download the application directly from its official page. To create a CD image and a USB image, you need to download individual files. Each of them weighs only 18 MB.
Recover My Password Home Edition: a free version with an interface in English
Recover My Password Home Edition is developed by Lazesoft. It has a convenient and simple interface, but only those who know English can work in it: there is no Russian option. The plus of the program is that it is free.
The program interface Recover My Password Home Edition is not translated, unfortunately, into Russian
What are the benefits of this utility?
- Suitable not only for the “tens”, but also for other versions of Windows, even XP and Vista.
- It supports both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
- Allows you to create not only Flash and CD images, but also ISO-images, optical disk images stored in a regular file.
- It works on all laptops, including Legend, Toshiba, Dell, IBM and others.
- Restores access to the local Administrator account.
- The weight of the program is only 33.4 MB.
You can download this boot disk image from the official website of the developer.
Renee Passnow: paid, but convenient program
The Renee Passnow utility is a paid boot disk image. The principle of its work is to bypass the password of the local account and Windows OS by changing the encrypted password in the Sam registry file.
The interface of the Renee Passnow program is very simple and intuitive: even a beginner will understand it
What are the program’s features and advantages?
- does not delete data stored on the PC;
- Turns a Microsoft account into a local one, and then removes its password
- has a clear and simple interface in Russian;
- Suitable for all versions of Windows including XP and Vista;
- creates backup copies of data stored on hard disks, without Windows;
- erases information from built-in drives completely or by sections;
- restores a Windows system after DBR or MBR errors occur at OS startup.
Of the minuses of the utility, one can single out the limited functionality of the free trial version. With the help of the latter, you cannot reset the password: you can only find the accounts on your PC. The cost of the main paid version is 1290 rubles, and the professional one. 1790 rubles. The distribution weight is 95 MB.
You need to download this useful utility from the official website of the developer.
Create a password reset disk
Due to the built-in Windows tools, you can create a so-called floppy disk, which will allow you to quickly and at any time remove the old password from the local account in the future. A huge minus of this method is that you need to create a diskette (file) on a removable medium (disk or flash drive) in advance. In this case, the method involves entering the current password, which the user still remembers.
A floppy disk is relevant only for the computer on which it was recorded. If you do not remember your password and you do not have a standard diskette, this method of solving the problem will not work for you, since you can no longer create it without access to the account. In this situation, bootable media is recorded using special third-party utilities described earlier in this article.
So, how to create a floppy disk for setting a new password and how to use it later?
- Insert a disk or a USB flash drive into the computer’s drive.
- Launch the “Control Panel” through “Search Windows” (a magnifying glass icon on the “Taskbar”). Just enter the appropriate query in the search field. Type “Control Panel” into “Windows Search”
- Now run the “User Accounts” block. Click on the “User Accounts” link
- In the left window, find the link “Create a password reset disk”. She will be the third. We click on it so that on top of the “Control Panel” a window called “Forgotten Password Wizard” starts up. Select the link “Create a password reset disk” in the left part of the window
- We read the information about the option and click on the second “Next” button. Click on “Next” on the start page of the “Forgotten Password Wizard”
- Using the drop-down menu, select the USB flash drive or disk as the carrier of the future diskette. Select the desired media that you previously connected to the PC in the drop-down menu
- We print the current password from the account and left-click again on “Next”. Write the current password for your account
- After that, you need to wait until the creation of the diskette is completed. When it is 100%, click on “Next”. Now you can use this drive in the future as a password recovery method.
- At the final stage, click on “Finish.”
- After all the steps, a file called userkey.psw will appear on your media. It will store the standard Windows password recovery utility. The drive can be used many times to recover a password.
- When you need to change the password, connect the drive with a password floppy disk. Enter any combination of characters in the field.
- A message appears stating that you entered the wrong password. The system will prompt you to enter it again. Click on OK.
- Under the field for entering the combination there will already be the necessary link “Reset password”. Just click on it and perform the simple steps described in the instructions. Click on “Reset password”
Reset the password on a tablet or smartphone with Windows 10
To remove the password on a tablet with Windows 10, you can follow the same procedure as for a computer. Only the device’s boot in this case is performed not from the installation disk, but from the bootable SD media.
For phones and tablets, the method of resetting the password online is also suitable, that is, you will change the password for your Microsoft account on the company’s official page.
Reset Hard Reset
To remove the old password on the phone and tablet with Windows 10, for example, Lumia or Nokia, use the Hard Reset option. It consists in resetting all the settings to the factory settings, that is, those that you had immediately after purchasing the device.
The method has a big minus: you have to delete all the personal information (files, photos, games, contacts, music) that was stored in the internal memory of the smartphone or tablet, so before performing the operation, everything that was on the device must be transferred to another medium. Before unlocking the phone, remove the SIM card and SD card, if they have any data, and also charge the device at least 50%.
Let us describe this procedure in detail:
- Turn off your smartphone or tablet completely and disconnect it from the charger.
- Hold the volume down button on your mobile gadget. Reconnect the charger at the same time. As a result, an exclamation mark on a black background should appear on your screen. Hold down the volume down key so that an exclamation mark appears on the screen
- If this method does not work, use a slightly different one. Press the power button. When the phone vibrates, immediately press the volume down key. Release it only after an exclamation mark appears on the screen.
- You can also try holding down the volume up key and the power button for 10 to 15 seconds if the first two methods did not work. The main thing is that there should be an exclamation mark on the screen. This will mean that the mobile device is ready to take further action.
- Now sequentially press the following buttons on your phone: increase volume, decrease volume, power (turn on) and decrease volume. This combination will command the phone to make a hard reset. Spin gears should appear on the phone screen: they will indicate that the reset process is in progress
- As a result, you will see moving gears on the screen. This will mean that a reset process is in progress. It may take 5 to 20 minutes. After that, the phone screen goes blank for 30 seconds, and then it turns on.
If you do not remember the password from your account in Windows 10, you have the right to delete it and install a new one. You do not need to reinstall the operating system: there are many other ways. If you do not have an installation disk with an OS distribution, select the “Command Line” method, that is, through logging in using the local Administrator account, or create bootable media using a special utility.