How To Reset iPhone To Factory Settings
The following method of restoring a gadget via iTunes is only suitable if the gadget was previously paired with your computer and the program. But in situations where recovery is required to be performed on someone else’s computer, for example, to remove the password from the phone, using recovery mode is suitable.
- Unplug your phone completely and then connect it to your computer with the original USB cable. Launch iTunes. Until the phone is detected by the program, since it is in an inactive state. It is at this moment that you need to enter it into recovery mode in one of the ways, the choice of which depends on the gadget model:
- Iphone 6S and younger SIMultaneously hold down two keys: “Home” and “Power”. Hold them until the phone screen turns on;
- Iphone 7, iPhone 7 Plus. Since this device does not have a physical Home button, it will enter recovery mode in a slightly different way. To do this, hold down the “Power” and volume down keys. Keep holding until the smartphone turns on.
- Iphone 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X. In recent models of Apple devices, the principle of entering Recovery Mode has been quite changed. Now, to put your phone into recovery mode, press and release the volume up key once. Do the same with the volume down button. Hold down the power key and hold it until the device turns on.
Perhaps the easiest and fastest way to reset is through the settings of the phone itself.
- Open the settings menu and then proceed to the “General” section.
At the end of the window that opens, select the “Reset” button.
How to Hard Reset iPhone
How to turn off Find iPhone
- Open the settings on your smartphone. At the top, your account will be displayed, which you will need to select.
In the new window, select the “iCloud” section.
Factory reset iPhone
Hard resetting your device will erase all information previously contained on it, including settings and downloaded content. This will restore it to the state it was in after purchase. You can reset in different ways, each of which will be discussed in detail below.
The main tool for pairing iPhone with computer is iTunes. Naturally, a complete reset of content and settings can be easily performed using this program, but only if the iPhone was previously synchronized with it.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable and launch iTunes. When the smartphone is identified by the program, at the top of the window, click on its thumbnail.
On the Overview tab on the right side of the window there is a Restore iPhone button. Select her.
And finally, a way to erase content and settings remotely. Unlike the previous three, this method can only be used if the Find iPhone feature is enabled. In addition, before proceeding with the procedure, be sure to make sure that the phone has access to the network.
- Run any web browser on your computer and go to the iCloud service website. Log in using your Apple ID information. Email and password.
Once signed in, open the Find My iPhone app.
For security purposes, the system will ask you to re-enter your Apple ID password.
The map will appear on the screen. After a moment, a mark will appear on it with the current location of your iPhone.Click on it to show an additional menu.
When a window appears in the upper right corner, select “Erase iPhone”.
Any of the above methods will completely delete all data on the phone, returning it to factory settings. If you have any difficulties when erasing information on an Apple gadget, ask your questions in the comments to the article.
Things to do before completely cleaning your iPhone
So, if you decide to do a factory reset (and it doesn’t matter if you want to completely format the device or clear the data of some programs), you first need to make a backup. This copy will keep all your data and settings, as well as files and programs. In general, it is recommended to make backups periodically. If you want to start from scratch, just skip this step.
Officially, Apple devices can back up using two programs: iCloud and iTunes. In the first case, your data will be placed in the cloud on the company’s server. So you can only access them over the internet. The second option allows you to save a backup on your computer. Choose the one that suits you best.
Removing from the desktop
To uninstall the program directly from the desktop, do the following:
- Go to your desktop.
- Hold your finger on the touchscreen for 2 seconds.
- Click on the cross that appears next to the program shortcut and confirm the deletion.
Delete via iTunes
Itunes is used to control your Apple device from your computer. Accordingly, you can use it to remove programs. Connect your device to PC and enter iTunes.
The connected device appears in the upper right corner of the screen. Click on it.
Click on the “Applications” (or “Programs”) tab. A list of installed programs will appear on the screen. Next to each there is a button “Delete”.
After clicking, it will change to “Will be deleted”. Thus, you can choose several programs to remove. Then click “Apply” and the specified actions will be performed.
What is a factory reset and is it needed?
Any device, be it a computer, tablet, phone or even an MP3 player, in addition to the information that the user views directly, saves a lot of additional data. This includes the application cache, operating system settings, and startup data for certain files. All this information is needed for the convenience and efficiency of using the gadget. After all, no one wants to configure the program from scratch after each launch or wait for the device to turn on for several minutes. The operating system stores information that will be used frequently.
Naturally, the internal memory of any gadget is not infinite. Despite the fact that auxiliary data takes up little space, sooner or later a lot of them will accumulate. And when the memory is overloaded, problems begin. That is why resetting application data and phone or tablet settings is a must. Even if your device is working fine now, it is still worth cleaning it from unnecessary information. This will help to avoid serious mistakes in the future.
Reset all settings via iTunes
The exact same reset procedure can be done through iTunes. Connect the device to your computer and find it in the program interface. On the Overview tab, click the Repair Device button. Again, if you’ve synced your gadget to iCloud, you’ll need to enter a password. After that, the formatting process will start.
Making a backup to iTunes
To back up your Apple device to your computer, do the following:
- Launch iTunes and connect your device to your PC.
- Enter the password for the device on the computer (if set).
- Select your device in the program interface (it will appear in the main window).
- In the window for working with the device, check the box next to the words “Encrypt backup”; set a password.
- Click Create Copy.
To check your backup, go to the settings of the iTunes application and in the “Devices” tab you will see a list of copies with the corresponding dates.
Resetting the keyboard dictionary
The keyboard in Apple devices can memorize frequently used words. Subsequently, when typing, the program will suggest you the desired word if you start typing it. Reset keyboard dictionary allows you to clear your word memorization data.
Reset network settings
This feature allows you to clear connections and passwords to Wi-Fi hotspots. In addition, resetting network settings will delete all connected VPN servers. Select the appropriate item and enter the password to access the device to perform cleaning.
Resetting the Home setting
This feature allows you to restore the original appearance of the first page of the desktop. After the reset, shortcuts of standard programs installed by default will appear on it. The rest of the icons will be moved to another page.
Method one, through iTunes (the device turns on)
If your iPhone isn’t severely damaged and can turn on, and you have a USB cable and a computer or laptop with iTunes installed, do the following:
- Launch iTunes on your computer.
- Under Settings [your name] iCloud, turn off Find My iPhone.
- Connect iPhone to your computer using a USB cable. If iTunes requires you to enter a password or make this computer trusted, follow the instructions of the program.
- When the device appears in the program, select it in the panel on the left.
- On the Overview tab, click the Restore iPhone button.
- In the pop-up window, click “Restore” again to confirm.
After that, the device will be cleared of your data and returned to factory settings, and the current version of iOS will be installed.
Method two, through iTunes (the device does not turn on)
If the iPhone is no longer able to start on its own, you again need a computer with iTunes and a USB cable. To reset the settings, follow the instructions:
- Connect iPhone to Computer and Open iTunes.
- Under Settings [your name] iCloud, turn off Find My iPhone.
- On the connected device, make a forced restart:
- Iphone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the power button until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press the power and volume down buttons at the same time. Hold them until the recovery mode screen appears.
- Iphone 6s and earlier: Press the Home and Power buttons at the same time. Hold them until the recovery mode screen appears. In all three cases, it looks like this:
In this case, the iPhone settings will also be reset to factory settings, and the current version of the operating system will be “uploaded” to the device.
How to Factory Reset iPhone: 3 Ways for Different Occasions
Keep a quick cheat sheet on how to reset iPhone to factory settings. With and without iTunes.
For a number of reasons, you may need to reset your iPhone to factory settings. In Apple’s terminology, this is called “restoring iPhone”, that is, returning the original settings and setting up the smartphone as new. Three ways to do this read below.
Method three, without iTunes (the device turns on)
You can also do a factory reset on the iPhone itself if you don’t have a computer. But this can be done only if the device turns on.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the device menu in the “Settings” “General” “Reset”.
- Click “Erase Content and Settings”.
- Enter your device password or Apple ID password to confirm.
Then wait until the settings are cleared. The device will be returned to factory condition.
If your iPhone turns on, we recommend that you back up your data to Apple cloud or external media before resetting.
This method works on any device: computer, tablet or smartphone.
- We go to the website icloud.com.
- Sign in to your Apple ID.
- Launch the Find iPhone application.
- We go to the menu “All devices”, select the desired.
- A window will appear on the right in which we click “Erase iPhone”.
- We reaffirm our decision.
- The program will require you to enter your Apple ID login information.
- At the next step, you can enter your phone number, or you can just click “Next”, and then “Finish”.
- The process of resetting the gadget’s settings will begin immediately if it is connected to the Internet, or later, as soon as it appears on the network.
By applying this method, the user receives as a result a smartphone, reset to factory settings, cleared of personal information, with the latest version of iOS.
- Checking the current version of iTunes.
- Disable the “Find iPhone” function, for this you need to enter your Apple ID password.
- We connect the gadget to the computer with a USB cable.
- Launch iTunes on your computer.
- The application will display your device, select it.
- We go to the “Browse” tab on the left side of the screen, and in the window that opens in the first block, click the “Restore” button.
- The smartphone will reboot and require data entry, as on the first launch.
All iPhones can be restored to factory settings by a so-called “hard reset”. For all models up to and including 6, this is done by pressing the Home and Shutdown buttons for approximately 15 seconds until the white Apple logo appears on a black background. Further, the procedure is the same as when you first turn on the device.
Iphone 7 and 7 plus reboot by holding the power and volume down buttons for at least 10 seconds.
Hard reset for all Iphone models.
For Apple phones from model 8 and newer, Hard Reset is done in three stages:
- Quickly press the volume up button;
- Quickly press the volume down button;
- Hold and hold the side button until the white Apple logo appears on the black screen.
How to reset iPhone to factory settings
There comes a moment in using Apple gadgets that you want to “clean” it and start using it from scratch. For this there is a function “Reset settings”. How to use it is described below.
Resetting to factory settings completely clears the device’s memory from information added by the user, returning it to its original state. This is necessary when:
- Pre-sale preparation of the device;
- Numerous experiments with applications and other data;
- Prevention of failures in the firmware.
If you nevertheless decide to clear the Apple gadget of unnecessary information and configurations, you can do this in one of the following ways.
Do I need a backup
Before erasing all iPhone settings, it is recommended to make a backup copy of the device if its creation was not set up automatically. It stores the following information:
- All device settings;
- Data about installed applications;
- SMS, MMS and iMessage;
- Display settings and location of programs on it;
- Media files;
- Health application statistics;
- Purchase history in iTunes, AppStore, etc.
When you reset to factory settings, there is no guarantee that this information will never be useful to you, so it’s better to create a backup just in case.
Reset via the “Settings” menu
Before you reset the settings on an Apple device, you need to charge it well, preferably up to 100%, and provide access to a stable Wi-Fi connection.
- If iPhone is paired with watch, you need to stop syncing.
- Sign out of your iTunes Store, iCloud and App Store accounts. To do this, open the “Settings” menu, click on the name. At the very bottom of the page that opens, activate the line “Exit”.
- We return to the “Settings” menu, go to the “General” section, select “Reset“, and then “Erase content and settings”.
- When the “Find iPhone” function is enabled, you will need to enter the password from “Apple ID”.
- Enter passwords for accounts on demand.
- After rebooting the device, enter the data requested by the smartphone.
How to reset settings without a password
This can be done only if the “Find iPhone” function is disabled for the gadget.
- We connect the smartphone to the computer with a USB cable, run the iTunes program on the PC.
- At the same time, hold down the Home and Lock buttons for 10 seconds, until the Apple logo disappears from the screen. Then release the lock button and hold the Home button for another 5 seconds until iTunes detects the connected device in recovery mode.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen. The settings will be reset and, if necessary, the software will be updated.
All described methods can be accurately applied only for 100% clean devices that have not previously been exposed to the intervention of third-party programmers. In this case, the manipulation of resetting the settings can lead to the irreversible blocking of the gadget.
How to create a backup via iTunes
Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer and launch iTunes. If required, enter the password for authorization.
Click on the device icon above the iTunes sidebar and select “Browse” on the panel itself.
Click Create Copy Now. If along with other information you want to save the data of the programs “Health” and “Activity”, first mark the item “Encrypt backup”, enter the password and remember it.
Follow the program prompts and then wait for the backup to complete.
Open the section “Settings” → “General” → “Reset” and click “Erase content and settings”.
Confirm erasing data and wait for the process to complete. If the system asks you to turn off Find My iPhone, do it in Settings → username → iCloud.
When the device restarts, it will already have factory settings.
How to reset iPhone or iPad to factory settings
If the device is buggy, does not turn on, or you are going to sell it, you should restore the factory settings.
Back up important data
If you want to keep your personal information, back up your iPhone or iPad locally to your computer using iTunes and / or a cloud copy to iCloud. By doing this, you can recover erased data on the current or new device.
How to reset iPhone or iPad through the settings menu
This method is suitable when the device is working and you can unlock its screen. A reset through the settings menu is performed to erase all personal data from the iPhone or iPad before the sale. Or to restore normal operation of the device when it continues to slow down even after a restart.
How to create an iCloud backup
Connect your mobile device to the Internet.
Click Settings → username → iCloud. If your device has iOS 10.2 or older, click Settings, scroll down the settings page and select iCloud.
Make sure the switches next to Contacts, Calendars, and other programs in the iCloud menu are active.
Scroll down the page and click “iCloud Backup”. On the next screen, make sure the “iCloud Backup” switch is turned on.
Click “Back up” and wait until the time of the last created copy on this screen is updated.
How to reset iPhone or iPad in recovery mode
This method is for those cases when the iPhone or iPad will not turn on. As a result, all personal data will be erased and you will be able to restore it only if backups were previously created in iCloud or on your computer.
Connect your iOS device to your computer and launch iTunes.
Force restart your iPhone. This is done differently on different models.
On iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus, press and immediately release the volume up button and then the volume down button. Then hold down the side button and hold it until the recovery screen appears on the mobile device.
On iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, hold down the Volume Down and Side buttons at the same time until the mobile device enters recovery mode.
On iPhone 6s Plus and earlier, and on iPad, hold down and hold the Top (or Side) and Home buttons at the same time until the recovery screen appears on the gadget.
When iTunes prompts you to restore or update your device, click “Restore” and follow the further prompts.
When the machine restarts, it will have factory settings.
Completely reset the settings via Hard Reset
Reset via Hard Reset is needed in such a situation: the user has forgotten the security password and cannot deactivate Find iPhone. The enabled function, in turn, prevents restoring settings via iTunes in a softer way.
Such an operation is called “Hard” for a reason. A reset can lead to the fact that all personal data will be lost. Therefore, it is recommended to contact Hard Reset only after other options have already been tried and have not been crowned with success.
Recovery via Hard Reset is done as follows:
Connect the gadget to your PC and launch iTunes as usual.
Enter your smartphone into DFU mode in the following way: SIMultaneously hold down the Home button and the power button and count to 10. Then release the Power button and continue holding Home until the characteristic connection sound in iTunes. After entering the gadget in DFU mode, it makes no sense to look at its screen. It will just be black, without icons and images.
Turn to iTunes, and you will see that the window has changed and there is only one button available. “Restore iPhone.”. It should be pressed.
It will take a long time to wait until the initial settings are restored. About 10 minutes. When the reset is completed, the user will have to choose one of two options: reactivate the gadget or try to return the deleted data through a backup in iTunes. To implement the second option, you need to go to the “Browse” section of the device and click the “Restore from a copy” button.
Next, in a special window, you need to select the copy that suits you best and click “Restore”.
Reset iPhone via “Settings
You can reset the settings on the iPhone without connecting the gadget to the computer at all. You need to proceed as follows:
Go to “Settings” and select the “General” section.
Scroll to the end and select the “Reset” subsection.
You will see that the device offers several reset options, including:
- Factory reset on iPhone. With such an operation, all personal information that the user stored on the gadget will remain in place. But, say, alarms and standard application settings will be reset. This short-term operation (reset takes less than 1 minute) can help with intermittent iPhone freezes.
- Erase content and settings. This type of reset is useful when an Apple user wants to gift or sell a used iPhone. The buyer receives a completely “clean” gadget without traces of preliminary use. Including de-authorization of the Apple ID. This operation is longer and takes about a couple of minutes (depending on how cluttered the memory is).
- Reset network settings. This operation helps if, after replacing the SIM, the gadget cannot find the network of the new service provider and access the Internet via 3G. Personal information will definitely not suffer from such a reset.
Before you reset iPhone settings, pay attention to these “safety rules”:
- Before resetting (especially the second, longest type), recharge the gadget at least to 25-30%. If the iPhone crashes while erasing data, it will most likely have to be restored via iTunes and a cable.
- Jailbroken iPhones (eg Pangu) will end up in eternal apple mode by erasing content. Again, you will need to restore via iTunes with the preliminary introduction of the gadget into DFU mode or Recovery Mode.
Creating a backup. Is it necessary?
Before you reset your iPhone to factory settings, you should make a backup copy of the data stored on your phone using iTunes. Then, if necessary, you can restore important information. There are two ways to create a backup:
In the AppStore context menu, go to the path “File”. “Devices”. “Create a backup copy”.
Click the device icon in the top panel and in the “Overview” section click “Create a copy now”.
It will not be possible to “resurrect” all data with the help of a backup copy. Only:
- Contacts. Content of the Notes application. Photos. Messages and call history. Phone settings and network settings.
Games, apps and music won’t be restored.
How to Reset iPhone via iTunes?
If you need to reset the settings via iTunes, the first step is to turn off Find My iPhone (if activated). To deactivate on the device, follow the path “Settings”. “iCloud”. “Find iPhone” and turn the toggle switch to the “OFF” state. Then connect the gadget with a USB cable to your PC and follow these SIMple instructions:
Click on the “Device” icon, and you will find yourself in the “Overview” section.
Click the “Restore iPhone.” button.
In the window that appears, click “Restore” again. This way you confirm the request.
After that, iTunes itself will download the software to the gadget and return the original iPhone settings. When you reset the settings in this way, contacts, SMS, calendars, alarms and notes will not be affected, but you will have to say goodbye to multimedia files.
How to reset iPhone to factory settings?
Unfortunately, novice iPhone users do not always prudently approach downloading applications to their device. Many, admiring the abundance of free software in the AppStore, install everything without thinking about the usefulness of the programs. It is the lack of free memory that is usually the reason why the iPhone starts to work worse: for example, freezes or spontaneously reboots. If such “symptoms” appear, then it’s time to “clean” the device’s memory. You can do this by resetting the iPhone to factory settings.
Alas, the problems of smartphone users are not limited to gadgets freezing. Quite often the owners of even such protected devices as the iPhone become victims of fraud: attackers learn the security password, change it remotely and start blackmailing and extortion. Your humble servant also found himself in such a situation. Transferring money is out of the question. Blackmail will never end. But a SIMple reset to factory settings via iTunes will help keep cybercriminals off the hook. The main thing is not to neglect such an opportunity as creating backups: then even after a “hard” reset, you can restore important data.
How to Reset iPhone to Factory Settings. Zero it
You need to reset iPhone to factory settings in a variety of situations, especially for solving system problems.
This can be done in several SIMple ways and, if desired, additionally update the IOS version so that the system works even more stable.
In the previous article, we looked at how to disable T9 on iPhone. Now you will learn in detail and with pictures how to reset iPhone or iPad quickly and without loss.
Important! Consider several options, in the first one, we will SIMply reset the settings, in the second, we will additionally delete the content, i.E. Reset the device, and in the third, delete everything and update the firmware.
- 1 Before dumping. Make a copy
- 2 How to Reset Settings on iPhone
- 3 How to Reset iPhone to Factory Settings and New State
- 4 How to Reset iPhone Using iTunes
How to Reset iPhone Using iTunes
In this case, all information and files from the phone will be deleted, plus the latest released firmware will be installed. You will need official iTunes software installed on your PC or laptop.
Go to iPhone settings, go to your account and go to the Latitude group. Disable Find My iPhone.
Launch iTunes on PC and connect iPhone to it. Open iPhone in the top control panel and, on the first page, click on the “Restore iPhone” button.
Enter the password data that the program will ask for, wait until the process is over. Do not disconnect the smartphone from the computer until the process is completed. Data will be erased and new IOS installed.
Interesting! Also, in detail about other methods, for example, resetting a phone that does not turn on at all, is written in the material. How to restart an iPhone.
Before dumping. Make a copy
Just in case, before resetting, we will back up all iPhone data to iCloud via iPhone backup function. This can be useful, especially if you need to find out the cause of system problems. Reset everything and check if the errors have been corrected, if not, then you can return everything back without consequences.
Go to settings and open your account, then go to your iPhone or iPad.
Open the partition with the backup, set the switch to the active position and create another copy. It usually does not take much time. About two minutes.
Important! Now, after the reset, during the initial installations of the smartphone, you can select the restore point from the iCloud backup.
How to reset iPhone settings
In this case, only the phone settings that you made on it will be reset, and all files, applications and contacts will remain in place.
Open the settings, go to the “General” section and go to the “Reset” group. Here are all the options we need.
To SIMply clear the current settings in the system, without touching all the content that is currently on the smartphone. Select the very first item “Reset all settings” and then enter your security code.
Also, separately here you can clear:
- Network parameters
- Keyboard Dictionary
- Home screen options
Interesting! It is convenient to use this particular cleaning option if there are any problems in the operation of the system or applications. Often helps to solve them, for example, when the camera freezes.
How to Reset iPhone to Factory Settings and New State
In this case, we will completely reset the iPhone to the factory state, deleting from it everything that is on it at the moment, i.E. We will zero it. The phone will start like the first time. It will be completely clean.
Go to settings, open the “General” group and go to the “Reset” section.
Here we need one single option. “Erase content and settings”, click it and enter the password data that the system will ask for.
After the device is rebooted, the welcome window will open and you will need to make the initial settings of the phone.
Interesting! Use this option if you plan to transfer your smartphone to someone. You should not transfer a non-zeroed phone, even if it seems that there is nothing there, and you have cleaned everything. You cannot follow everything.
So, using these three SIMple methods, you can delete all the information and parameters made in the system. High-quality and stable work for your devices and have a nice day.