Many people think that if a turtle lives in water, then it does not need to go on land. This is fundamentally wrong judgment. Waterfowl turtles need rest outside the water, and for this, when listing it in the aquarium, you need to place a small island , to the fact that the turtle will be able to crawl out from time to time.
You will need
- Extruded polystyrene foam
one. The most primitive island solution for turtles – pick up a few stones that must be perfectly fixed to the wall or to each other in such a way that a part of the stone rises above the water. You need to make sure that the angle of inclination is small, so that your pet can easily climb up.
2. It is also allowed to make the turtle access to land with driftwood. To do this, you need to pick up a fairly wide snag, or to strengthen at the top a special platform from a plank (only not plywood).
3. Also, islands are allowed to be made of plexiglass plate, polystyrene foam and other synthetic lightweight materials. However, this method is only suitable if your turtles are small. Because huge turtles hefty strong, and will be able to easily destroy fragile structures. It is allowed to decorate the island with Javanese moss.
four. It is also allowed to cut islands from extruded polystyrene foam, fill the surface with foam, and until it freezes, sprinkle it with fine soil for decoration. Fasten such island cancel each glue directly to the glass. Do not forget about the comfortable slope.
Turtles are famous pets possessing a fascinating appearance and unpretentious. They are so unlike other animals that some owners sometimes wonder how their pets breathe.
one. According to the structure of the respiratory system, turtles are not too different from other animals. They have well-developed lungs, with the support of which they breathe in and out air, but the turtles do not have a chest. They do not breathe due to the convergence and divergence of the ribs, because this is prevented by the shell, but by using bundles of muscles that go to the plastron from the shoulder and pelvic girdles, as well as the dorsal-ventral muscles that are located along the edge of the shell. The movement of these muscles leads to a change in the volume of the body cavity – a decrease or increase and, consequently, to a change in the volume of the lungs, as a result of which there is an inhalation or exhalation.
2. At the front end of the head of the turtle are the external nostrils, with the help of which she inhales air. After that, he enters the oral cavity, where the internal nostrils-hoans, adjacent to the laryngeal fissure, exit. Air enters the trachea, then into the bronchi, and from there into the lungs.
3. Turtles do not have gills; therefore, they cannot breathe oxygen dissolved in water. Both aquatic and terrestrial animals need air for typical life activities. That’s just the breath of turtles is not as saturated as in humans. Land turtle during the period of activity makes each 4-6 breaths per minute. Water and even less often, it can float to the surface in order to swallow air only once every twenty minutes. During hibernation, when the metabolism of animals slows down, their oxygen demand is invisibly reduced.
four. Over the course of evolution, the turtles received some extremely genuine adaptations to facilitate the breathing process. For example, soft-bodied turtles not only breathe with lung support, but are also able to absorb some of the oxygen through the skin. And in turtles living in fresh water, part of the gas exchange takes place in the anal sacs, opening in the cloaca.
The health of the turtle is directly dependent on a positive and diverse diet. Moreover, this matter should be approached very seriously. Tea in nature turtles eat this or that type of food depending on the season. Mistakes in feeding can cost a turtle a life.
In order to correctly compose a menu for your pet, you need to find out what type it belongs to. Food preferences are formed in a turtle depending on its habitat. Some species choose only meat, other algae, plants, seeds. The transatlantic box turtle is not wayward and eats almost everything. There are species of turtles that at a young age choose only worms and beetles, and when they mature, they begin to eat everything.
The important element is calcium.
The tortoise menu allows you to include protein-listed foods. It can be boiled fish, eggs, low-fat beef, shrimp, chicken, earthworms. Sometimes it is allowed to give food for cats and dogs. Only fat and raw meat, as well as fish, are banned. In moderate numbers, protein foods cannot damage your turtle. However, if the pet mainly eats only such food, he may soon begin kidney problems. Therefore, do not be too lazy to diversify the turtle’s diet with protein and plant foods, the percentage of which depends on the type of turtle. So, feeding domestic predatory turtles and herbivores differs from feeding omnivores with a table of contents of plants and proteins. For example, a predatory turtle for a typical existence should eat 90% of protein foods and 10% of plant foods. Whereas in herbivorous turtles the opposite happens.
In addition to phosphorus, calcium and proteins, the tortoise’s menu should contain plant foods. Offer your pet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, a slice of pumpkin, green peas, beans, and grain. Also, food is allowed to diversify with grape leaves, lettuce, thistle, fig leaves. Most likely, the turtle will not give up some fruits, berries and flowers. Pamper it with apple, melon, orange, mango. Of the berries, turtles, as usual, are not indifferent to blueberries, blackberries, grapes and strawberries. As for flowers, then almost all types of turtles love geranium, lily, dandelion, nasturtium, pansies. Tortoise feeding at home can be difficult to balance. In this case, special food for turtles should be used. They will help preserve the health of your pet for long years.
If you have a huge turtle, you need to remove huge stones from the aquarium, it can break the glass of the aquarium with them.
It is allowed to hang a lamp over the islet; turtles like to go out and bask under warm light. Also on the island it is comfortable to give food, so as not to stain water.