How to Make a Protective Glass on Your Phone
A detailed guide for those who want to make their device virtually invulnerable.
What are the pros and cons of safety glass
The protective glass is several times harder than the most durable film, and therefore saves the device not only from scratches. According to manufacturers, it can withstand even a hammer blow. We do not recommend conducting such experiments. But we can say: when it falls, it is most likely that the glued glass will break, and not the device’s screen.
However, such protection does not affect the sensitivity of the sensor and the brightness of the image.
However, glass is more expensive than film. And you can pick it up only for relatively popular models of smartphones and tablets.
What kind of safety glasses are
The technology of protective accessories does not stand still and develop with smartphones. Now on the market there are glasses with a high-quality oleophobic coating, rounded edges, as well as frames repeating the design of gadgets. Conventionally, all types of protection can be divided into three categories:
- 2D. ordinary glass with straight ends that do not reach the screen border by about 1 millimeter;
- 2,5D. such options have small smooth chamfers around the perimeter, which are combined with the curves of the body;
- 3D. special glass with curved edges for smartphones with a screen that goes to the side faces.
How to stick a protective glass
If dust gets under the glass, you will have to live with bubbles on the screen of the gadget or try to remove them. To avoid this, do a wet cleaning in the room or at least ventilate the room with a clean rag, preferably with detergent, wipe the table where you are going to glue the protection, wash your hands.
Another option: carry out all the manipulations in the bathroom. In this case, the procedure is as follows:
- Turn on hot water for a few minutes, or rather take a shower.
- The resulting vapor will bind all the dust, it will settle on the floor, and the room will become almost sterile.
- Lay a towel and sprinkle it with water from a spray bottle for accuracy.
Step 2. Prepare the tools
In addition to the device and protective glass, you will need:
- Display cleaning fluid, antistatic agent or regular alcohol.
- Microfiber cloth.
- Stationery tape.
- Plastic card or scraper.
Step 3. Try and align the protective glass.
It is necessary to ensure that all the holes and cutouts match perfectly. It is done like this:
- Attach the protection to the smartphone with the right side.
- Try so that all the clearances along the contour are the same.
- Glue two or three strips of adhesive tape 3-4 cm long on the glass at one of the side faces.
- Attach the loose ends of the adhesive tape to the back of the smartphone.
- It should be something like a drop-down book.
Step 4. Degrease the surface of the screen.
This will remove dirt and stains that can ruin the whole result. Proceed as follows:
- Use the special wet towel provided or spray the screen with liquid to clean the displays, antistatic or alcohol.
- Wipe thoroughly to remove any remaining glue from the old film and other possible contaminants.
- Wipe the screen dry with a microfiber cloth.
Step 5. Make sure there is no dust.
To be sure to play it safe and collect any dust particles from the screen surface, use the special sticker from the kit, a strip of adhesive tape or electrical tape. Just stick and peel them across the entire display area.
Step 6. Stick the protective glass
Compared to previous ones, the final step is the easiest. Here is what you need to do:
- Lift the glass so that it stands upright.
- Carefully remove the lower protective layer from it.
- Quickly lower the glass onto the smartphone. Due to the fasteners from the strips of adhesive tape, it will lie perfectly.
- Smooth air bubbles from the center to the edges with a tissue or card.
- Remove the mounting tape from the glass and back panel.