Horsfield Central Asian Turtle (named after the American biologist). one of the most common representatives of the land family. Recently, it is often turned on for home maintenance. We offer you to get acquainted with the main rules of care.
This type of tortoise is distinguished by the following characteristic features:
- dimensions. the length of the females is 15-23 cm (with a size of 16 cm, a physiological readiness for bearing offspring sets in), but the males are somewhat smaller. 13-20 cm, newborn turtles. 3 cm;
- shade of carapace (upper shell part). dark greenish or olive brown with dark spots;
- head. slightly flattened and covered with dense leathery scales of brown-yellow color;
- paws. short with 4 fingers on each limb;
- life span. about 40-45 years old.
In nature, Central Asians hibernate twice a year: in winter and hot summers for 2-3 months. Before that, they prepare a mink for themselves, reaching a depth of up to 2 m. When growing a house, such reptiles rarely plunge into a prolonged sleepy state.
the size of the female is 15-23 cm, the male is 13-20 cm, life expectancy is up to 45 years
Living in nature
In the natural environment, the distribution area of Asian turtles is concentrated in the countries of Central Asia, in the steppe region of China, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Northeast Iran, Afghanistan, western India and Pakistan. Reptiles live in areas with sandy or loamy soil, in rocky or hilly areas near clean water and grassy vegetation, mainly with wormwood. This variety is listed in the International Red Book and is under the protection of UNESCO.
Choose a pet based on the following criteria:
- visually check the carapace, limbs and skin for mechanical damage. scratches, bleeding wounds, spots of unknown origin;
- examine the nasal cavity. it should be clean without unnecessary discharge;
- choose an active animal, vigorously moving on a horizontal surface with clear shiny eyes without pustules and redness;
- test your freshwater diving ability. ask the seller to lower it in water, otherwise there will be problems with the respiratory system;
- ask for a veterinary passport, inspection certificate and birth certificate.
Do not forget about proper transportation: in the summer, subject to a short trip, an ordinary cardboard box of the appropriate size will do, in autumn or winter you will need a special plastic carrying container in which to place a small heating pad.
careful examination of animals when buying protects against troubles in the future
Needed for care
The optimal size of the home. 50 cm wide and 30 cm high. Try to replace or increase the area for living as the pet grows. Aquarium material. natural wood or tempered glass (on one of the walls, attach a green self-adhesive film with a tropical pattern for the spatial orientation of the turtle). It is worth giving up the use of plastic, since when heated it can release substances harmful to health.
Feeder and drinker
Place a shallow but heavy bowl, saucer or ashtray under the feeder to prevent it from tipping over. The product should have low sides, wide space, smooth inner surface (for easier washing).
Pay attention to the automatic drinking bowl, which is suspended and attached to the walls of the terrarium. Make sure that the boiling water is always warm, the limit is considered optimal. 30-32 C. If possible, purchase a temperature controller for temperature control of the liquid.
The main soil layer is medium fractional river sand in combination with clay and chernozem. Good and high-quality soil allows you to maintain the desired humidity of the air masses and microclimate.
Small absorbent granules, as well as ordinary wood chips, are suitable for eliminating extraneous odors. Put some smooth pebbles in the toilet area.
Ultraviolet is needed for disinfection and antibacterial effects on the internal environment, as well as to stimulate growth and prevent the well-being of a pet. Set the light source so that it completely covers the entire territory of the aquarium. Turn on the device daily for several hours (preferably in the evening). During the breeding season, veterinarians advise leaving the light on for 10-12 hours.
The temperature regime should vary from 25 to 33 C. You can create such conditions using incandescent yellow lamps. Get 2 small lights by placing them at different points near the aquarium. one powerful and the other weaker. The pet will be able to move to the place where at the moment he is more comfortable. In the "cold" corner, the temperature cannot fall below the level of 20 C.
Place a container with low sides in the corner. Pour some warm boiling water into it. At will, the turtle itself crawls and bathes. Do not forget to change the fluid in a timely manner and wash the bowl.
As the claws and cornea of the beak grow, shorten them with a claw cutter. Pre-treat the instrument with medical alcohol to prevent infection.
First aid kit
In the first-aid kit, the presence of medicines is required:
- children’s Espumisan;
- gas pipe;
- bactericidal patch;
- iodine, zelenka;
- sterile bandage and cotton;
- hydrogen peroxide, boric alcohol;
- Vitamins Eleovit.
Useful and safe goodies are:
When creating a balanced and nutritious diet, adhere to strict and clear rules:
- feed young individuals twice a day, feed reptiles of an older age 1 time in 2 days;
- give dry and wet food alternately to balance nutrients in the body;
- pour the feed composition only into a clean bowl, previously washed under hot water with laundry soap;
- watch the portion size. no more than 30 g per day;
- after the meal, remove all edible residues;
- try to protect your pet from pungent odors, loud noise during meals;
- do not teach hand-feeding;
- once a week pamper herbivores with fresh mushrooms or chanterelles;
- introduce a variety of mineral and vitamin supplements for the health of the musculoskeletal system into the diet.
Ready-made feed compositions meet all safety standards and requirements, contain the required amount of vitamins, macro and microelements, various enzymes involved in the digestion process. When choosing such a product, fundamental factors are important:
The most popular manufacturers are:
- Tetra ReptoMin;
- Zoomir Tortila M;
- JBL Agil;
- Sera Raffy Vital.
Freshwater is allowed to be fed with the following natural products:
- lettuce and dandelion, plantain, alfalfa, thistle, sorrel, lawn grass, legumes. beans and peas;
- inflorescences of some plants;
- pumpkin, fresh carrots, zucchini, young beets, radishes, cucumbers, horseradish;
- apples, pears, apricots;
- plum, raspberries, strawberries, watermelon;
- dry sea kale;
- unroasted sunflower seeds.
It is strictly forbidden to give the following:
- cockroaches, crickets;
- onion and garlic;
- potatoes in any form;
- beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey;
- fish and seafood;
- sausages, minced meat;
- rye and wheat bread;
- pastries, cakes, pastries;
- milk, kefir, fermented baked milk;
- cherry and berry seeds.
Symptoms. severe swelling of the ears, and in some cases limbs. The reason is injury to the skin, a bite of ticks or other parasites, as well as infection with a fungal or bacterial infection. Treatment requires surgical intervention.
Tympany of the stomach
If the waterfowl does not sink, constantly tumbles to its side, refuses to eat and sits, burying itself in a corner, then most likely it has a tympanum of the gastric membrane. The disease appears due to overfeeding, non-compliance with the diet, with a deficiency of calcium in the blood. Provide first aid. give 1 tsp infant Espumisan, followed by calcium borgluconate (minimum dose). Be sure to consult your veterinarian for further therapy.
Inflammation of the lining of the pulmonary tract is accompanied by breathing through the mouth, blistering, wheezing, pallor of the mucous membranes. The disease occurs due to prolonged maintenance at low temperature, overexposure on the street in the cold season, and improper transportation. An antibiotic injection will be needed to alleviate the symptoms. Bytril every other day until the illness disappears completely.
Severe shortness of breath, yellow flaky discharge from the mouth, refusal to eat, and weakness. the main signs of stomatitis. It manifests itself due to improper oral hygiene, poor hygienic processing of food. Visit your doctor for an accurate diagnosis, removal of purulent growths and the appointment of drugs.
Passivity, blood discharge under the armor plates, lack of salts in the urine. renal failure syndromes. The cause of the disease. dehydration, lack of vitamin A, lack of phosphorus, the use of nephrotoxic drugs. To get rid of the disease, long-term therapy based on antipartic drugs is prescribed.
Asian turtles. lovely charming creatures that will bring harmony and positive emotions to the house. The most important thing. timely care and take care of them, and then they will delight the owners for many years.