How to Install Windows on a Computer
Windows 10 update for May 2020
Update Assistant can help you upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10. To get started, click Update now.
Want to install Windows 10 on your computer?
To get started, you need a license to install Windows 10. Then you can install and run the media creation tool. For details on how to use this tool, see the instructions below.
- Using the tool to upgrade this computer to Windows 10 (click to show or hide additional information)
These instructions can be used in the following cases:
- You have a license to install Windows 10 and you are upgrading your computer’s operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.
- You need to reinstall Windows 10 on the computer where this OS has already been successfully activated.
If you are installing Windows 10 on a computer running Windows XP or Windows Vista, or if you need to create installation media with Windows 10 on another computer, see Using the tool to create installation media (a USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) ) to install Windows 10 on another computer below.
Note. Before installing Windows 10, make sure that your computer meets the system requirements for Windows 10. In addition, we recommend that you visit the computer manufacturer’s website for more information on updated drivers and hardware compatibility.
- Click Download tool, and then. Run. Administrator privileges are required to run this tool.
- If you agree to the terms of the license agreement on the page License terms, click To accept.
- On the page What do you want to do? Select Update this computer now, and then click Further.
After downloading and installing, the software will provide instructions for setting up Windows 10 on your PC. All versions of Windows 10 are available through the Windows 10 link, except Enterprise. For more information on the Enterprise version, see the Volume Licensing Service Center website.
- If you do not have a license to install Windows 10 and you have not yet upgraded to this version, you can purchase a copy here: https://www.Microsoft.Com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10.
- If you have already upgraded the operating system on this computer to Windows 10 and are reinstalling it now, you do not need to enter a product key. Your Windows 10 instance will be activated automatically later with a digital license.
Follow these instructions to create installation media (a USB flash drive or DVD) that you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.
Before installing the tool, make sure that you have:
- Internet connection (ISP may charge for services).
- Enough free space on your computer’s drive, USB device, or external media.
- Empty At least 8 GB USB flash drive, or a blank DVD (as well as a DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB drive or a blank DVD, as all of its contents will be deleted.
- If a message appears when writing the ISO file to a DVD disc that the disc image file is too large, you must use a dual layer DVD (DL) disc.
Check the specifications of the computer on which you want to install Windows 10:
- 64-bit or 32-bit processor (CPU). You will create a 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 10. To check this characteristic of the computer, open the section Computer information in computer settings or System in the control panel and find Type of system.
- System requirements. Make sure your computer meets the system requirements for Windows 10. In addition, we recommend that you visit the computer manufacturer’s website for more information about updated drivers and hardware compatibility.
- Windows language. When installing Windows 10, you will need to select the same language. To find out which language is currently used, open the section Time and language in computer settings or Region in the control panel.
- Windows release. You will also need to select the same edition of Windows. To find out which edition is in use, go to Computer information in computer settings or System in the control panel and find Windows release. Windows 10 Enterprise is not available in the media creation tool. You can learn more about this on the Volume Licensing Service Center website.
- Microsoft Office Products. If you have just purchased a new device on which Office 365 is installed, we recommend that you activate (install) Office before upgrading to Windows 10. For information on activating an Office copy, see Download and install Office 365 for home, Office 365 personal or Office 365 for students. For more information, see Upgrade to Windows 10 on new devices that include Office 365.
If you have Office 2010 or earlier installed and want to perform a clean installation of Windows 10, you need to find the Office product key. For tips on finding a product key, see Find a product key for Office 2010 or Enter a product key for Office 2007.
Create installation media using the tool:
- Click Download tool now, and then. Run. Administrator privileges are required to run this tool.
- If you agree to the terms of the license agreement, click To accept.
- On the page What do you want to do? Select Create installation media for another computer, and then click Further.
For Windows 10, choose your language, release, and architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). The table below will help you decide which edition of Windows 10 you need to install.
|Current Windows release||Windows 10 release|
|Windows 7 Starter |
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 8 / 8.1
Windows 8.1 with Bing
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8 / 8.1 Professional with Media Center
Windows 8 / 8.1 Single Language
Windows 8 Single Language with Bing
Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Pro
|Windows 8 / 8.1 Chinese Language Edition |
Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing
|Windows 10 Home China|
Video: How to Install Windows on a Computer
After completing the installation of Windows 10, please make sure that you have all the necessary device drivers installed. To check for updates, click the “Start” button, click Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update and select Check for Updates. You can also visit the manufacturer’s technical support website for your device to download any additional drivers that may be required.
Note. Drivers for Surface devices are available on the Surface driver and firmware download page.
- Using the created installation media (click to show or hide additional information)
Before installing Windows 10, it is recommended that you save all the necessary data and create a backup of your computer. If you downloaded the ISO file for Windows 10 using the media creation tool, you must burn it to a DVD before following the instructions below.
- Plug in a USB flash drive or insert a DVD into the computer on which you want to install Windows 10.
- Restart your PC.
If the PC does not boot automatically from a bootable USB drive or DVD, you may need to open the boot menu or change the boot order in the BIOS or UEFI settings. To open the boot menu or change the boot order, you usually need to press a key (for example, F2, F12, Delete or Esc) immediately after turning on the power of the PC. For instructions on accessing the boot menu or changing the boot order of a PC, see the documentation that came with the PC or on the manufacturer’s website. If the USB drive or DVD is not listed in the boot options list, you may need to contact your PC manufacturer for instructions to temporarily disable Safe Boot mode in the BIOS settings.
If changing the boot menu or boot order does not work, and the PC immediately loads the operating system that you want to replace, it is possible that the PC was not completely turned off. To ensure a complete shutdown of the PC, press the power button on the login screen or on the Start menu and select Shut Down.
If you downloaded the ISO file for Windows 10, it is saved in the folder you specified on the local computer. If a third-party DVD burning program is installed on the computer that you want to use to create the installation DVD, open the folder in which the file is saved and double-click the ISO file or right-click it, select To open with, and then select your preferred program.
To create the installation DVD using the Windows Image Writer, open the folder in which the ISO file is saved. Right-click the ISO file and select Properties. Tab "Are common" click Edit and select Windows Explorer as a program to open ISO files, and then click To apply. Then right-click the ISO file and select Burn disc image.
To install Windows 10 directly from an ISO file without using a DVD or flash drive, you can mount an ISO file. In this case, the current operating system will be upgraded to Windows 10.
With the question of how to install windows on a computer, I first came across 4 checkout. Where I lived there was no internet, so for me this question was especially difficult. At the end of the 4th grade, my father bought me a book, I don’t remember exactly what it was called, roughly, “Master the computer from A to Z”
It was a big book. It was difficult for me for the first time to install Windows on a computer, but thanks to it I was able to do it. If you are having difficulty installing the operating system, I suggest reading my article from which you will learn all the details about installing Windows. I note that all versions of Windows have a similar installation process, so I will not focus on a specific version of Windows. I have to say right away, due to the convenient and intuitive interface, installing windows will not cause big difficulties, the most important thing is not to prevent the system from being installed on the computer.
Don’t be afraid, even a schoolboy can handle the installation of the OS, but I could, so you can.
You might be interested to read:
Before we move on to the practical part of the article, I would like to prepare you.
The preparatory phase of installing windows on a computer
Each of us is so used to the PC that most of the files: photos, videos, documents, music are stored on a computer. Many of us store files in the standard folders Video, Images, Documents, Music, Contacts, etc., which are located in the drive (C :). Why did I say all this, and to the fact that we need to save our information on external media: disks, flash drives, portable hard drives.
What you should save, besides what I described above.
- Files that are on the desktop.
I think that up to this point, everything is clear. Move on.
To install windows on a computer we need a disk with a Windows distribution. I will explain what it is. This is the disk from which we will install Windows.
“Where can I find him?” You asked yourself.
You can find it on the Internet, but most likely you are downloading a pirate.
A few upload rules:
- You must have Anti-Virus installed
- When choosing a distribution kit, choose clean builds, i.E. Not needed, for example, Windows and someone’s build. 100% to say that there are no viruses is impossible.
Of course, it’s better to buy a licensed disc Windows. Do not think that if you download the pirated version, then you save. No, usually a pirated assembly does not work for more than 2-3 months, when the licensed assembly can run smoothly for several years. Licensed software also provides updates, which is also important.
If you downloaded Windows from the Internet, then you probably noticed that the file you downloaded was in the.Iso or.Mdf format. Do not be afraid, this is normal. This is a disk image. You just need to write it down.
We will need the Alcohol 120% program. Use the old method, download from the same Internet.
Algorithm for installing windows on a computer
1. Insert our disk into the drive and reboot the computer.
2. After our computer shuts down and starts to boot up again, press the del button until the BIOS menu appears. Find the section Advanced bios featured or something related to the word Bios. Next look First boot device I have so, you may have something else, but the value will be Hard disc. Change it to CD-ROM.
Press Esc. Next on Exit&Save setup. Done!
3. Now our disk will open when the computer restarts. Our disk has opened and we are given the opportunity to choose the installation method, select Automatic installation of windows. Yes if there is Unattended installation with all drivers, then choose this method. About 10 minutes we will have to wait for someone like, for some this moment passes in 2-3 minutes, and for others in 10-20 minutes. Do not worry.
4. The preparation for installation is over. Now the installation of windows on the computer begins. Before us is a blue screen, we need to select the partition in which we will install Windows. You always need to choose a drive (C :). If you have saved all the necessary information of this disk on external media, then everything is fine, if not, cancel the installation by pressing the F3 button, since then it is impossible to restore, more precisely it is possible, but you will have to spend a lot of money. We selected a drive (C 🙂 We are offered to format the drive. We are not afraid of anything, we format it.
Format in NTFS or NTFS fast. And press Enter.
5. On this, your participation in the installation of windows ends. Then you should not do anything, but it is better to look every 10 minutes.
Personally, at this moment I am leaving to watch TV for 40 minutes, depending on the power of the computer, the time can be different.
I come up to the computer in 40 minutes and cheers, the windows installation is complete!
Errors when trying to install windows on a computer
Now you also know how to install Windows on a computer. This is actually easy. If you have any problems, write in the comments. I will be happy to answer.
You can also download the official version of Windows on the official website of the company