How to hide the application on your Samsung phone. How to hide an application on an Android or iOS tablet
Modern users install a large number of different applications on their phones. This can be messengers, banking programs, games and other software. Almost every smartphone allows you to set a password on the lock screen, which significantly protects the device from unauthorized people. But such an option for unknown reasons is not used by all users, and everyone wants to keep their data safe. That is why a reasonable solution would be to temporarily remove program icons from the desktop. Simply put, let’s look at how to hide an application on Android.
Hiding applications can be useful in almost any case. For example, your smartphone is used by other family members, who do not need to see the programs installed on your phone. Such a solution will also significantly increase the amount of free space on the desktop by removing the icons of rarely used software.
In most cases, you can hide applications using the system’s built-in capabilities, but you can also use special utilities. We suggest that you consider each of these methods, detailing all the advantages and disadvantages.
Where are the applications after installing them on Andro All Android system applications are stored in the service folder /system/app and installed by the user in /data/app, but the contents of these directories are not intended to be conveniently viewed.
The list of installed applications can be seen in Application Settings. In this section of the menu all available programs, including system programs, are displayed. Nevertheless, there are special applications, which allow you to avoid displaying certain programs in the list.
So, there are a number of applications originally designed to protect personal data. messages, contacts, folders with specific content, etc.п. For example, ZERO Communication, KeepSafe, AppLock, Hide It Pro and others.
Their functionality varies, but almost all of them can hide certain folders or replace their icon with any other. for example, similar to an ordinary application like a calculator or scheduler. If you try to open an application with a hidden folder on the desktop, you will most likely be prompted for a pin code which, if entered incorrectly, will bring up an empty folder. The most advanced applications do not require a password, but allow the user to simply launch the desired program, so the user will not even be aware that the icon may open a protected folder if he performs additional actions.
All these features can be extremely useful in a situation where your phone is lost and not protected by a pin code or a graphic key. a person who found your device simply can’t access your personal data, even if they try. But there is a downside to this functionality. as a rule, such applications are used for their purposes by teenagers, who are too closely monitored by their parents, so that they can keep secret (from their point of view) information almost in plain sight, but in fact will not have access to it.
How to hide Android app icons
In order to successfully hide applications, you need not only to familiarize yourself with each of the methods, but also carefully follow the step-by-step instructions. First we recommend to look through all the methods, and then choose the best option for you.
Some phones allow you to hide app icons via system settings. However, it should be noted that such a possibility is not implemented on every modern smartphone. So, here is a step-by-step instruction to do it correctly:
- Open the settings.
- Go to “All applications” or “Program Manager.
- Find the utility you want to hide from other users. Note that in most cases the method works only with system applications.
- Go to the page with it and click the “Stop” button.
- Confirm the procedure by clicking on the “OK” button in the window that appears.
The names of the sections on each phone can be different, but the principle of action must be the same as described in the instructions. You can also go another way:
- Go to settings.
- Go to the menu with all installed software.
- Click on the icon in the form of three dots, located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select “Hide system applications”.
The latter option is mostly suitable for modern smartphones.
Via Google Family Link
Who does not know, Google Family Link is a special program that allows you to remotely control any previously connected smartphone. Initially the application was developed for parents and allows to control the content consumed by the child. But given the huge number of built-in options it can also be used to hide icons of certain software.
The first thing you must do is to download the utility to the phone, which will be used to control and hide applications. To do this, open Google Play and in the search enter Google Family Link (for parents). Pay special attention to the designation in brackets. Click on the “Install” button and wait for the installation to complete.
Open the program and perform the initial settings:
- We select who will use the smartphone. In our case. this is the “Parent”.
- Mark the desired account
- Installing Google Family Link (for kids) on the second phone. Do the initial setup and enter the code that appears in the parent’s account.
- Press “Join” button and then confirm the addition of the account in the parent’s profile.
Now go to the section with the settings, open the tab “Android Applications” and hide the necessary programs. This way can not be called a universal one, as it is more suitable for parents who want to control the installed software on the phone of their child.
Please note that you cannot use the parent and child app on the same device at the same time.
The second space is a special option allowing you to create two desktops on your phone. We can say that this is an analogue of users in Windows. Most modern smartphones support this feature by default, so it’s enough to activate the desired function in the settings. But if your device does not have it, you can always download special software from Google Play.
By the way, we talked in detail about how to create the second space in one of our articles. The methods presented here are suitable for Samsung, Honor, Huawei, Alcatel, Meizu and other phones. But as an example, let’s take a look at creating an additional desktop on your Xiaomi:
- Open the settings.
- Go to the “Second space” section.
- Click on “Create second space” button.
- Choose “Next” and come up with a strong password.
- Set a convenient way to switch.
Now all apps installed in the second space will be hidden from users of the first desktop.
If the previous methods failed to hide the shortcut of a particular application, you can use third-party programs from Google Play. They are suitable for all devices, including those running Android 10. As an example, let’s look at the AppHider utility. The first thing we will do is to install an application from Play Market:
Now let’s launch it and make the necessary settings:
- Click the plus button.
- Choose a program you want to hide.
- Click on the “Import” button in the window that appears.
- Next, hold your finger on the imported utility icon. In the window that appears select “Hide”.
- Click on the “Uninstall” button and confirm the removal of the original software package. It means that the program will be removed from your smartphone, but its clone will remain in the App Hider utility.
- Click on the hidden application icon and choose “Launch” to open it.
There are a huge number of similar programs in Google Play, so it makes no sense to consider each of them. Almost everywhere the principle of action is the same.
Using a third-party launcher is another good way to hide installed programs. However, you should understand that not every desktop has such a function. For example, you can safely use Apex Launcher. The Launcher is available for download for every user on Google Play, and there is no difference whether you have Android 5 or 9. Let’s install and configure it:
- Open the software and configure the look and feel. If you like, you can skip this step by clicking the button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- On the next page we see an offer to buy a paid version of the software. We think you will decide to click on the “Skip” button.
- Press the “Home” softkey and select Apex Launcher as your desktop. Do not forget to check the “Remember me” box before doing it.
How to find hidden applications on Android
Keep in mind that by looking for hidden applications on other people’s smartphone you are violating their privacy, so do it only in extreme cases.
When we take the smartphone in our hands, we see the applications on the main screen. However, not all the applications that are installed on the smartphone can be located there and they can be found in the settings as follows:
- Go to Settings. Apps;
- Click on the arrow in the upper left corner that says “All apps” and select the “Disabled” option.
- Done! A list of apps that have been hidden will appear in front of you.
Pay special attention to standard applications such as Calculator or Flashlight, as they can hide a totally different application.
If, on the contrary, you want to hide an app, then you need to go to the “Applications” menu, find the one you want and select the “Disable” option.
How to find out if your Android device has any hidden apps running
So now you know how to find hidden apps on your Android device, but how do you know if any of these hidden apps are running in the background?
The easiest way to check for hidden apps is to look at your phone’s memory usage. Manufacturers list the base RAM usage for their phones so you can compare that number to your current RAM usage.
Unless you usually run a lot of third-party apps, there shouldn’t be much difference. If so, this should give you something to think about. Another useful trick is to close your most used applications and compare your RAM usage afterwards to your RAM usage when using your phone in safe mode.
Safe mode disables all non-essential system applications and third-party applications, which should give you a good basis for using RAM.
How to figure out bloatware?
Here, in fact, everything is quite simple. It is necessary to “cut off” everything unnecessary. First, it is important to scour the list for the presence of Google services and tools for Google Play. You can find out the information about the programs right there in the settings. Accordingly, these applications must not be disabled, let alone uninstalled. Next, everything depends on the smartphone manufacturer. For example, owners of Samsung and OnePlus devices have preinstalled operating system shell files. They are, no doubt, beautiful, but if you want, for example, to use a third-party launcher, it is better to disable them. Since in all likelihood your smartphone will handle not only animations and the shell of the launcher, but also “keep in memory” some shell files from the manufacturer.
Also a good solution would be to use a program called System app remover. Not only does it allow you to remove an app or service, but it gives you detailed information about it so that you can determine how important it is. But just in case, make a backup of your data before performing this kind of manipulation.
Search for Applications
Using the Settings app
If you use the Settings app on your Android smartphone, you will be able to see all the apps you have installed.
Note that the ability to expose all applications, including hidden ones, may be marked differently depending on the manufacturer or OS version.
As a side note, you can also use the Settings app to display system apps and system files. Click the three-dot menu icon and select “Show System. This does not require root access on your phone.
Using App Drawer
The App Drawer allows you to view all the apps installed on your Android device, including those that aren’t on your home screen.
The complete list of applications will now be shown. If the “Hide apps” option is not available, it may mean that there are no hidden apps on your Android smartphone.
The above method works for Windows 8 as well. But there is a simpler method, just two steps.
- Press Windows E to open Windows Explorer, and then click the “View” tab on the toolbar.
- Select the “Hidden Items” option above the address bar, in the area labeled “Show/Hide”. Uncheck the same option to hide these files.
Viewing hidden files on a Mac isn’t as easy as on Windows or Android. The fastest method involves opening a terminal and entering the command. Follow these steps and you can quickly view hidden files.
- Open the terminal. If you don’t know where it is, you can click the search button in the upper right corner and type terminal or find it through LaunchPad. If you prefer to go through the Finder, the terminal usually finds it in / Applications / Utilities.
- Paste this exact command into the terminal: By default, write com.Apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
- Press the Enter key. Now type this command: killall Finder and press Enter again, or go to the Apple menu (top left). Force Quit Select Finder and press Relaunch
- Now you’ll be able to see the hidden files on your Mac. To hide these files again, use this exact command in the terminal: by default write com.Apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
How to hide Samsung applications in a protected folder with the ability to continue working with it
If your Samsung Galaxy phone has such a function as “Protected folder”, you can use it to hide important applications from prying eyes with the possibility of access by password. Many novice users do not know exactly how the protected folder on Samsung works, and therefore do not use it, and this is a very convenient function.
The bottom line: you can install applications in it, and transfer data from the main storage, at the same time in the protected folder is installed a separate copy of the application (and if necessary, you can use a separate account for it), is in no way associated with the same application in the main menu.
- Set up a protected folder, if you haven’t already, set the way of unlocking: you can create a separate password, use fingerprints and other biometric functions, but I recommend using exactly the same password and not the same as for the simple unlocking of the phone. If you have already configured the folder, you can change its settings by going into the folder, clicking on the menu button and selecting “Settings”.
- Add applications to the protected folder. You can add them from those installed in the “main” memory, or you can use Play Market or Galaxy Store directly from the protected folder (but you will need to re-enter the account details, which may be different from the main one).
- A separate copy of the application with its data will be installed in the protected folder. All of this is stored in a separate encrypted repository.
- If you have added an application from main storage, you can now delete that application when you return from the protected folder: it will disappear from main menu and from “Settings”. “Applications” list, but it will remain in the protected folder and you will be able to use it there. It will be hidden from anyone without a password or other access to the encrypted storage.
This last method, although not available on all models of Samsung phones, is ideal for those cases where you want exactly the privacy and protection: for bank and stock applications, secret messengers and social networks. If such a function is not found on your smartphone, there are universal methods, see. How to set a password on the Android app.