Trachemies are unpretentious pets, but to make them feel good, they need to be provided with suitable conditions. Proper feeding is also very important. It is worth remembering that individuals of different ages have their own preferences: young pets need to be given more animal feed, the diet of old turtles will be 80% composed of vegetation, vegetables and fruits. So, what to feed the red-eared turtle at home?
What can be included in the diet of the red-eared turtle?
- Meat and offal. You can give turtles pieces of meat (chicken, beef, horse meat), pork and lamb are not desirable, it is too fat. The meat should be well frozen. Also, offal can be included in the diet – liver, heart, this is the main source of vitamin A, given once a week;
- Insects. It can be given once every 1-2 weeks, turtles eat tubers, snails, grasshoppers, crickets, wood lice, gammamarus, daphnia, earthworms and flour worms;
- Fish and seafood. It is advisable to give the turtle sea fish without large bones – hake, cod, sprat, pangasius and other species. Fatty fish like capelin are pre-soaked in water. You can run live fish into the terrarium – swordsmen, guppies, crucians and others (they are grown as feed in a separate aquarium). They love pets and seafood: crab meat, shrimp, squid, mussels;
- Plants. You can give algae to red-eared turtles: richchia, duckweed, ludwig, ceratopteris, hornwort, spirogram, edogonikm, anacharis. From indoor plants, cacti and leaves of aloe, hyacinth, hibiscus, and tradescantia are cleared of thorns. You can also give the turtle meadow grass, plantain, dandelion, clover, coltsfoot. Animals willingly eat carrot or beet leaves, lettuce, hay, basil, parsley, sprouted wheat and oats;
- Fruits. You can give your pet slices of apples, pears, peaches, plums, apricots, bananas, melons, tangerines, oranges (all citrus fruits are pre-peeled). Of the berries, you can recommend strawberries, watermelon, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and others;
- Vegetables. Cucumber, tomato, white cabbage, broccoli, spinach, zucchini, carrots, beets, radishes, pumpkin, bell pepper. You can sometimes give legumes and asparagus to turtles;
- Other. Trachemys like to sharpen their teeth, so it would be nice to place twigs of fruit trees in the terrarium. You can give them slices of mushrooms, sunflower seeds, animal feed;
- Vitamin and Mineral Supplements. It can be bone meal, finely chopped eggshell, calcium sulfate or phosphate, liquid or powder vitamins.
Trachemys cannot be fed food from the table or food for dogs or cats. In large quantities, you can not give tomatoes, legumes, cabbage, spinach, fatty meat or fish. The terrarium must have a bathing place with fresh water, because turtles often drag food into the water to soften it. Red-eared turtles do not produce saliva, so it is easier to swallow wet food. Water in the drinker needs to be changed daily.
Young individuals are fed once a day, adults – once every 3-4 days. Do not overfeed your pet: give him a portion of food, wait half an hour and remove the leftovers, obesity has not brought anyone any good.