How to factory reset iPhone XR
How to solve the problem through iTunes if you forgot your password
iTunes is considered to be one of the most multifunctional devices for Apple, which helps to quickly and easily restore a locked iPhone. But it is enough just to enter the wrong code several times in a row or use the biometric scanner incorrectly for the phone to go out completely. Therefore, in such situations, it always makes sense in a PC with iTunes installed on it.
At the same time, for the recovery itself through the application, the following step-by-step aLGorithm of actions is provided:
- Connect the smartphone to the PC via the supplied cable.
- Try to force restart the gadget by quickly pressing the plus and minus of the volume control (relevant for models “8”, “8 Plus” and older). If you use earlier versions, such as “6s”, then it makes sense to simultaneously hold down two keys at once. “Home” and “Power / Volume”. But the activation of an extinct iPhone in almost all devices is carried out in the same way, or to be more precise, by pressing and holding the side controller for a long time.
- If the iPhone has been restored to its senses, then you should select the restore option and synchronize, along the way agreeing to save the previously made backup file copies in the device’s memory.
At the final stage, the phone is reconfigured, after which it will not hurt to write out the saved code and password in some notebook or diary, so that one not very fine day the user does not have to restore this data again.
How to Factory Reset iPhone 5, 5S, 6S, 4C, SE without Apple ID
Naturally, it is possible to change the account settings only if the information about the previous data has not been lost. In all other cases, you will have to reset the basic parameters of the smartphone or tablet to the factory settings, which is fraught with the complete loss of personal data. It is quite simple to insure yourself against such consequences, because you can always dump all information from Apple products to a PC or hard drive on time, using such a universal tool as iTunes.
As for the very aLGorithm of actions for resetting the settings, it is not difficult, assuming a transition to the settings menu, and then to the section “Password and Security”. For the reset itself, you will have to strain your brains and remember all the secret answers to questions, trusted phone numbers and mailboxes, as well as recovery keys that were specified by the user during registration.
It is also worth noting that you can implement your plan not only from this iPhone, but also from a device paired with it using the same Apple ID.
The first application is supported by Apple devices running iOS12 and later versions of the proprietary operating system. As for its use to reset user data, immediately after downloading the software from the AppStore to the gadget system, it is recommended to act in accordance with the following instructions:
- First of all, you need to go to the “Get support” section, which can be seen at the bottom of the device display.
- Next, from the entire list, select the tab “Apple ID” and “Forgot your password”.
- The next step involves clicking on the option “Another password”.
After going through the specified chain, you should reset the code, following the instructions, which may slightly differ depending on the type and model of the device. The Find iPhone program is no less effective in solving this problem, moreover, it is suitable not only for the 12th version of the operating system, but also for its earlier versions (and therefore for older devices), starting with the 9th. Factory reset works in this application according to the following principle:
- Immediately after entering the software, you must make sure that the field is free of any characters. If this is not the case, then you will have to manually delete the entered data.
- Next, you click on the command “Forgot your ID or password?” and all the necessary reset manipulations are performed.
If the input screen remains inaccessible, then there is always the opportunity to exit and re-check the state of the field to enter the verification code. And if this time it is empty, then you can safely bring the work started to its logical conclusion.
What is an Apple ID password and why it is dangerous to forget it
One of these security codes is the Apple ID password, found exclusively in Apple products from Cupertino. And unlike many other locking tools, the use of this key is mandatory, and from the very beginning of the device’s operation, that is, from the moment of its first setup.
In the first case, the user is prompted to enter a name written in the Latin alphabet with the obligatory ending “@ icloud.com”, while the password requires a combination of numeric and alphabetic characters with the obligatory use of uppercase and capital letters.
It is noteworthy that to create your Apple account it is not at all necessary to purchase a new device, because you can register on the official website Appled.Apple.com, doing it completely free of charge.
In this case, it is not at all necessary to tie up your bank card data, despite the fact that the system will request them. over, if you do not intend to use iTunes or any other paid Apple services, then it is better not to tie the card at all, since by agreeing to a 3-month free subscription to any application, its owner risks receiving an automatic withdrawal of funds after the specified period.
It should be noted that it will not be possible to do without accounting, and not only at the initial stage of operation, but also in the future, since access to the AppStore and any other built-in service of the company without an Apple ID continues to remain impossible.
But changing the secret code-password is quite real, and completely free of charge and as much as your heart desires. To do this, go to the “Account Management” menu and enter a new password with a mandatory duplicate confirmation, using for this purpose any synchronized device with the same ID.
How to Factory Reset iPhone Without Apple ID Password in 2021
Modern mobile devices have many levels of protection, which often make the system inaccessible not only for intruders and outsiders, but also for the owners themselves. The reason is trivial, because both old and young people can forget the entered password, especially if they are often changed to enhance the security of the gadget, which can be fraught with similar consequences. And everything would be fine, but only the number of attempts to enter the coveted cipher is limited, so you should never rush to try all possible combinations so as not to block the device.
Password recovery methods
It is worth noting that an almost identical method for recovering user information is provided when using the iCloud cloud storage service. But that’s not all, because there are a lot of life hacks for changing the password. And it is definitely worth taking a closer look at the following ones:
- Resetting the counter of incorrect password attempts.
- Using iPhone recovery mode, relevant only if the ID is known.
- Installing a new firmware using a special DFU-mode, used when the previously performed manipulations were not effective enough.
It is noteworthy that all of these recovery tools are also based on iTunes, in most cases asking for an ID. But if the user cannot boast of such a privilege, and none of the methods works, then it is necessary to check all paired devices for logging into iCloud, and also exclude the presence of activated 2-factor authentication. Alternatively, you can try to fix the problem in the following ways:
- Click on the “Forgot ID or Password” option, after going to the account page.
- Select the item “Reset password” and confirm it with the command “Continue”.
- Decide on the method of resetting data by choosing an answer to security questions or sending a confirmation to an email address.
It is also worth recalling that when requesting a recovery key, you will have to pass verification in two stages, entering not only the user-specified identifier, but also the requested key. Next, a trusted gadget is selected, the changes are confirmed using the link sent to the specified address, a reset is performed, and a new password is specified. Voila! iPhone is restored and ready for further use without the slightest threat to user security.
How to Hard Reset iPhone
The following method of restoring a gadget via iTunes is only suitable if the gadget was previously paired with your computer and the program. But in situations where recovery is required to be performed on someone else’s computer, for example, to remove the password from the phone, using the recovery mode is suitable.
- Unplug your phone completely and then connect it to your computer using the original USB cable. Launch iTunes. Until the phone will be detected by the program, since it is in an inactive state. It is at this moment that you will need to enter it into recovery mode in one of the ways, the choice of which depends on the gadget model:
- iPhone 6S and younger Simultaneously hold down two keys: “Home” and “Power”. Hold them until the phone screen turns on;
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus. Since this device does not have a physical Home button, it will enter recovery mode in a slightly different way. To do this, hold down the “Power” and volume down keys. Keep holding until the smartphone turns on.
- iPhone 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X. In the latest models of Apple devices, the principle of entering Recovery Mode has been quite changed. Now, to put your phone into recovery mode, press and release the volume up key once. Do the same with the volume down button. Hold down the power key and hold it until the device turns on.
- The following image will indicate a successful entry into Recovery Mode:
Perhaps the easiest and fastest way to perform a reset is through the settings of the phone itself.
- Open the settings menu and then proceed to the “General” section.
At the end of the window that opens, select the “Reset” button.
The main tool for pairing iPhone with computer is iTunes. Naturally, a full reset of content and settings can be easily performed using this program, but only if the iPhone was previously synchronized with it.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable and launch iTunes. When the smartphone is identified by the program, at the top of the window, click on its thumbnail.
On the Overview tab on the right side of the window, there is a Restore iPhone button. Select her.
iPhone Xr How to Reset Back to Factory Settings
Factory reset iPhone
Hard resetting your device will erase all information previously contained on it, including settings and downloaded content. This will restore it to the state it was in after purchase. You can perform a reset in different ways, each of which will be discussed in detail below.
Note that you can only zero your device using the first three methods if the Find iPhone tool is disabled on the device. That is why, before we move on to the analysis of these methods, we will consider how the protective function is deactivated.
How to turn off Find My iPhone
- Open the settings on your smartphone. At the top, your account will be displayed, which you will need to select.
In the new window, select the “iCloud” section.
And finally, a way to erase content and settings remotely. Unlike the previous three, this method can only be used if the Find iPhone feature is enabled. In addition, before proceeding with the procedure, be sure to make sure that the phone has access to the network.
Run any web browser on your computer and go to the iCloud service website. Log in using your Apple ID details. email and password.
Once signed in, open the Find My iPhone app.
For security purposes, the system will ask you to re-enter your Apple ID password.
The map will be displayed on the screen. After a moment, a mark will appear on it with the current location of your iPhone, Click on it to show an additional menu.
When a window appears in the upper right corner, select “Erase iPhone”.
Any of the above methods will completely delete all data on the phone, returning it to factory settings. If you have any difficulties when erasing information on an Apple gadget, ask your questions in the comments to the article.
Delete with password
Initially, it is important to understand which method the majority of users are using. How to reset all settings on “iPhone”? The first and most common advice. it is using the standard features of the gadget. In order to use it, a person must remember or know the iPhone password. Or you will have to choose some other method of resetting the settings.
The instructions for implementing the process are as follows:
- Turn on iPhone. Be sure to wait until the mobile device is fully loaded. If the phone does not turn on, you can forget about resetting the settings using this method.
- Go to the menu “Settings”. “General”.
- Click on “Reset”.
- Select “Reset settings and content” from the menu that appears. You can click on “Reset all settings”. Then the saved data will remain intact.
- Click again on “Reset all settings”. To confirm the operation, you must enter the password for accessing the mobile device.
From now on, it is clear how you can reset the settings on “iPhone 4” or any other. But, as already mentioned, this method is relevant only in the case when a person has a password to the device. If it is not there, it is proposed to act differently.
For example, use a specialized application for a mobile device called iTunes. This program makes it much easier to work with a smartphone from Apple. The main thing. know how to act in a particular case.
How do I reset iPhone settings if I forgot my password? To do this, you must:
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes on your computer. It is important to ensure that it is compatible with the smartphone you are using.
- Turn on the iPhone and launch the corresponding application on the PC.
- Using a special wire, connect the gadget to the computer. Wait a while. the device will be detected in iTunes.
- Click in the program on the item “General”.
- Select “Restore iPhone” function.
- Confirm actions with Apple ID.
Now all that remains is to wait. After about 15-20 minutes, you can use a completely clean device. From now on, it is clear how you can reset the “iPhone” settings to factory settings without a password.
About Hard Reset
Any modern smartphone has the ability to force reboot and reset to factory settings. This process is usually called Hard Reset. Some people think that this option is ideal for a factory reset on an iPhone.
Unfortunately, it is not. The point is that such gadgets have “Hard Reset”. it is just a way to reboot the phone. And nothing more. The method does not allow you to quickly and easily reset the settings. However, it is important to know how to make the device work again if necessary. For example, if in the process of using one of the previously listed methods of resetting parameters, a hang occurs.
Hard Reset on “iPhone” is done in the following way:
- Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons at the same time.
- Release the specified combination after the Apple logo appears.
- Wait for the device to reboot.
As a rule, this option helps to restart the phone, but it does not reset the settings. For other smartphones, using Hard Reset, it is proposed to “roll back” the operating system. This feature must be remembered by every user. Accordingly, “Hard Reset” will not help answer the question of how to reset all settings on the “iPhone”.
How to reset all settings on “iPhone” without password?
Many people use smartphones called “iPhones”. These Apple products have won the hearts of subscribers. A multifunctional smartphone pleases with its work and capabilities. Sometimes you have to think about how to reset all settings on the “iPhone”. What is required for this? What features of the process should every user be aware of? It will not be difficult to understand the assigned tasks. It is enough to follow some instructions. They are all extremely simple and straightforward. Even a beginner can handle them.
About removal methods
Which ones exactly? The possibilities of modern gadgets never cease to amaze. Therefore, most functions can be activated by more than one method. How to reset all settings on “iPhone”?
To date, the following methods of solving the problem are proposed:
- work with the gadget (it is important to remember the iPhone password);
- using iTunes;
- Hard Reset implementation.
But if you want to get rid of the installed content, you will have to act a little differently. By the way, some settings need to be deleted manually. For example, data in browsers. Every iPhone owner should remember this. Especially if the smartphone is planned to be sold.
In fact, everything is simpler than it seems. The point is that the settings must be reset according to certain aLGorithms. But before carrying out the process, it is recommended to make a backup copy of the data. This will help, if necessary, return user information, as well as all previously set settings.
Making a copy can be done using iTunes or iCloud. In the first case, you will have to use a computer, which is not very convenient. In the second, it is proposed to go to “Settings”. “iCloud” and select “Create a backup” there.
What’s next? How to Reset iPhone Preferences Before Selling? And how can you get rid of previously recorded data? It is proposed to bring the idea to life in several ways.
The next tip only applies to browsers. Most often, the corresponding program refers to Safari. The thing is that before selling the phone, it is recommended to get rid of the data and settings in the browser.
It is proposed to do this using the standard capabilities of a mobile device. How can you reset the settings on “iPhone” without a password in relation to the browser?
To do this, follow the instructions:
- Turn on and wait for iPhone / iPad to fully boot.
- Go to “Preferences”. “Safari”.
- Select the required functions there. For example, “Clear History” or “Add-ons”. “Site Data”. “Delete All”.
- Wait for the operation to complete.
In fact, everything is not as difficult as it seems. It is recommended to act in the same way when working with any browser on a smartphone. Only when you reset Safari data will basic settings remain intact.
This feature determines the location of the device. a useful thing if the owner is worried about the safety of the phone. If you plan to sell your device, then resetting your iPhone to factory settings is not enough, you need to remove the device from the Find iPhone application. To do this, open the settings menu and go to the iCloud tab. Scroll to the item “Find iPhone”, you need to switch the switch to inactive state. Confirm with your Apple ID password. After that, wait for an e-mail with confirmation of disabling the function.
Reset via Hard Reset
If factory reset on iPhone did not help, then there is another option for deleting user information. Hard Reset. To do this, hold down the “Home” button and the “Power” button, hold for 10 seconds and wait for the “bitten” logo to appear. For models from the eighth generation, a different principle applies:
- press the volume up button with a quick movement;
- also press the volume down key;
- hold down the power button of the device until the Apple logo appears.
There are no restrictions on the number of hard resets by the manufacturer, so the procedure is performed as needed, including to eliminate errors in software platforms and applications. This method is suitable for restoring a smartphone if, after a reset, the device freezes on the boot display.
Reset via settings
Now let’s talk about how to reset iPhone to factory phone state. To get started, go to the phone settings program, and then scroll down to the General tab. At the end of the list is the “Reset” item. There, the owner will have to choose whether he wants to permanently erase the information from the smartphone, or just reset the settings. Click on the selected method, and then the “operating system” will offer to copy the application files to the cloud. If the information is important, then click on “Erase after unloading”, if not, then select the “Erase” item. Then we enter the Apple account password and wait for the device to reboot.
Reset via iTunes
In order to perform a full reset iPhone through a computer using iTunes, you need to follow the step-by-step instructions.
- Connect the device using a cable to iTunes.
- Find the iPhone in the list of identified devices.
- In the window that appears, click “Restore iPhone”.
Remember that when restoring a smartphone, the process should not be interrupted in any case, since an incorrect completion will lead to the loss of the device’s performance.
Now, let’s walk you through how to completely reset iPhone and settings. At the beginning of the process, make sure that the smartphone is charged more than 30 percent so that during the reset the device does not run out of power and does not create additional problems. Check if the device is jailbroken. after a reset, the smartphone may freeze on the start screen. The main thing is to save user files in the cloud, write down names and passwords, copy contacts from the phone book. Also, through iTunes, you should create a backup copy of settings and applications, so that you can quickly restore deleted information later.
To do this, run the program on your computer, go to the “File” section, open the “Devices” tab and click “Create a backup copy”.
How to Factory Reset iPhone
reading time: 5 minutes
Apple device owners regularly look for information on how to reset iPhone settings. This solution is suitable for cases when the phone fails for no apparent reason or before the sale of the device. In the process, errors of the operating platform are removed, if necessary, user files are deleted. There will be nothing complicated in the process, it is important for owners to know how to reset iPhone to factory settings.
Smartphone Recovery (Recovery Mode)
Sometimes factory reset on iPhone causes errors that the smartphone cannot cope with without the help of the owner. For such cases, the device has a built-in recovery mode, to put the phone into Recovery Mode, follow the step-by-step instructions.
- Disconnect iPhone after charging it 30-50 percent.
- Press the Home key.
- Connect your smartphone to your personal computer using a special cable. The Home key must remain in the clamped position.
- Wait for the iTunes icon and the drawn cable to appear.
- Launch iTunes on PC and find the connected device.
- In the window that opens, click the “Restore iPhone” button.
- Wait for the process to complete.
Do not disconnect the smartphone from the computer during recovery, otherwise only the masters in the service center will be able to “revive” the smartphone.
Reset iPhone if you forgot your password
If the owner did not write down the password before resetting the iPhone, then the device is likely to be locked. But do not panic, a forgotten password is not a sentence. In such situations, it is worth using the DFU mode.
- Connect using cable iPhone to computer.
- Disconnect your smartphone completely.
- Hold down the power and home screen buttons.
- After 10 seconds, release the power key and keep holding the Home button.
- Open iTunes and wait for the message that the computer has recognized the phone.
- Click “Restore iPhone”. DFU mode is perceived by the computer as recovery mode.
Do not turn off the device, although the smartphone will not show “signs of life”. Just wait for the recovery process to complete. If you are not confident in your own abilities or there is a fear of ruining your smartphone, then contact the service center. the masters will quickly erase the information, and it will not take much time.
How to create an iCloud backup
Make sure your mobile device is connected to the internet.
Go to Settings → Username → iCloud. If your device is running iOS 10.2 or earlier, open Settings, scroll down the settings page and select iCloud.
Make sure the switches next to Contacts, Calendar and other iCloud menu items are active.
Scroll down the page and click iCloud Backup. On the next screen, make sure the “iCloud Backup” switch is activated.
Click “Back Up” and wait for completion. At the end of the process, the time of the last created copy on this screen will not be updated.
How to create a backup via iTunes or Finder
Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer. If you are using Windows, macOS Mojave or earlier, launch iTunes; on macOS Catalina and later, open Finder.
If prompted, enter the password for the device and confirm the connection request by clicking “Trust this computer” on the iPhone or iPad screen.
Select the desired gadget in the sidebar of iTunes or Finder, and then click “Browse” or “General” in the main window, where all information is displayed.
Click the “Back Up Now” button. If along with other information you want to save the data of the programs “Health” and “Activity”, first mark the item “Encrypt backup”, enter the password and remember it.
Follow the program prompts and wait for the backup to complete.
How to factory reset iPhone or iPad
If the device is buggy, does not turn on or is put up for sale, you should return the factory settings.
Back up important data
If you want to keep your personal information, make a local backup of your iPhone or iPad on your computer and / or a cloud copy to iCloud. By doing this, you can recover the erased data on the current or new machine.
Perform a reset
Go to “Settings” → “General” → “Reset” and click “Erase content and settings”.
Confirm the deletion of the data and wait for the process to complete. If the system asks you to turn off Find iPhone, do it in Settings → Username → iCloud.
After restarting the gadget, a welcome screen will appear on the screen and a prompt to complete the setup, as when you first turned it on.
If you cannot reset through the settings because you forgot your password, read our instructions.
How to reset iPhone or iPad through the settings menu
This method is suitable when the device is working and you can unlock its screen. A reset through the settings menu is performed to erase all personal data from the iPhone or iPad before the sale. Or to restore normal operation of the device when it continues to slow down even after a restart.
How to reset iPhone or iPad in recovery mode
This is the method for when the iPhone or iPad won’t turn on or freezes during the boot process. As a result, all personal data will be erased, and you can restore it only if you have previously created backups in iCloud or on your computer.
Connect your iOS device to your PC. If you are using Windows, macOS Mojave or earlier, launch iTunes; on macOS Catalina and later, open Finder.
Put the gadget into recovery mode using the instructions for your model:
- On an iPad without a Home button, quickly press and release the volume up key, just as quickly press and release the volume down key. Then press the top button. Hold it until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On iPhone 8, iPhone SE (second generation), iPhone X and later, quickly press and release the volume up key, quickly press and release the volume down key. Press and hold the side button until recovery mode opens.
- On iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, press and hold the Side button and the Volume Down key at the same time. Keep holding them until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On an iPad with a Home button, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE (1st generation), and earlier, press and hold the Home and Side (Top) buttons at the same time until the Recovery Mode screen appears.
In the pop-up notification on the computer, select “Repair”, confirm the action and follow the prompts.
At the end of the process, all data from the iPhone or iPad will be deleted, and the settings will be reset to factory settings.
How To Reset & Restore your Apple iPhone XR. Factory Reset
Reasons to Reset iPhone to Factory Settings
The “Reset to Factory Default” option is used to:
- Quickly clear device memory;
- Eliminate software failures;
- Pre-sale preparation of the device.
Regardless of the reason, before doing a factory reset on iPhone, you need to back up the device using iTunes or iCloud: this way, you will save all important information and can return it at any time.
How to factory reset iPhone XR
(1 vote, average: 3 out of 5)
Reset iPhone via Settings menu
The first and, perhaps, the easiest way to return the “clean” firmware of the device is to reset through the parameters. For this it is enough:
- Go to the “Settings” item;
- Open the “General” tab;
- Find the “Reset” menu;
- Select the line “erase content and settings”.
After that, the system will prompt you to disable the “Find my iPhone” function and sign out of your Apple ID account. In the absence of a password, you will not be able to “throw off” the phone to the original parameters. Upon completion of the download, the device will return to the state “out of the box”.
How to Factory Reset iPhone?
Compared to smartphones from other manufacturers, the iPhone of any model, be it the old 5s or the newest XS Max, shows performance wonders. Lack of “freezes”, speed of loading applications, smoothness when scrolling through pages. this is exactly what Apple technology captivates users with.
But sooner or later, under the yoke of “software garbage”, iOS starts to slow down and freeze. Fortunately, 8 out of 10 cases, it is possible to return the speed and smoothness of work without any help: for this, it is enough to “restore” the original firmware. At the same time, this can be done without the help of masters and specialists.
How to Factory Reset iPhone? When is it worth resorting to a hard reboot to delete all data? Is it obligatory to connect the device to the computer? What to do if the smartphone screen does not respond to touch? The iLikeService experts figured out what a Hard Reset is for and what to do if you lose access to your device. So, let’s begin!
Factory reset iPhone using iTunes
This method is relevant when it is impossible to erase data from the phone due to damage to the sensor or display module. The aLGorithm of actions is quite simple:
- Connect the device to your computer using a Lightning cable;
- Download, install and run the latest version of iTunes from the Apple website;
- Select the connected device in the corresponding menu of the application;
- Go to the “Overview” tab and select the “Restore iPhone” menu;
- Click the “Restore” button to confirm the reset.
The phone will restart during the recovery process. Upon completion, it will launch and can be configured as a new device. In addition, you can do a deep factory reset remotely using the capabilities of the iCloud cloud service. This will require:
- Download and install the iCloud Windows app or log in from the web version (icloud.com);
- Enter your Apple ID and password to access the cloud server;
- Go to the “find iPhone” menu and select “erase”: after connecting to the Internet, the device will be deleted;
After deleting the data from the device, find the item “Remove from account”: the data on the iPhone will be erased. In the absence of access to the device and the impossibility of performing the above manipulations, change the password to the Apple ID: if the phone gets into the hands of intruders, they will not be able to use it to obtain personal data.
Hard reset on iPhone
If, for one reason or another, the phone does not show signs of life, you can try to reset the settings using the buttons. In the “older” generations of “Apple” devices (5s-8 Plus), the procedure is as follows:
- Turn off the device (“POWER” button, swipe on the “Turn off” menu);
- Connect it to iTunes using the Lightning connector;
- Hold down the “Power Volume Down” key combination until the Apple logo appears;
- Wait for the download to complete, turn on the phone.
Hard Reset in the iPhone X-XS Max happens differently: to start recovery mode, you must press and release the volume up and down buttons, then hold down the Power key and hold it until the recovery menu appears.
It should be noted that “backup” is a prerequisite for complete data recovery and allows you to “return” all the necessary information when buying a new phone. Also, backup recovery will be useful for people experimenting with their device, installing beta versions of iOS and “questionable” software not approved by Apple!
iPhone 6s and earlier (including iPhone SE)
Let’s start with older devices. This includes all generations of iPhone up to and including 6s and 6s Plus. On these versions of the device, Home (located under the screen) is a physical key, so it is used in the Hard Reset procedure. Press the Power and Home buttons at the same time for 15 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
iPhone 8 and all new models
Starting with the iPhone 8, the creators of the mobile device have changed the emergency reset procedure. Now 3 physical keys are involved in this process. First you need to press the volume up button. Immediately after that, press the volume down key once. Then hold down the on / off button for a few seconds until the company logo appears.
What will be removed?
Before resetting the device, read the list of materials and sections that will be deleted. The complete list is presented below:
- contacts, calendar, notes;
- installed applications;
- music, videos, podcasts;
- network settings, geolocation.
It is recommended that you back up to your computer hard drive or iCloud before resetting. This way you will spend the least amount of time restoring all your personal data and settings. After that, you can proceed to the zeroing procedure.
Depending on the iPhone model, you need to choose the appropriate factory reset method. We have identified 3 relevant options for different versions of the phone.
Reset in recovery mode
A full reset via Recovery Mode uses both the phone buttons and the computer with iTunes. To perform zeroing using a PC, follow the presented aLGorithm:
- Connect iPhone to computer via USB cable.
- Launch iTunes and wait for syncing with your phone.
- Reset using the buttons as described in our instructions above.
- After that, iTunes on the computer will prompt you to restore or update the device. Click on the “Restore iPhone” button.
- Now it remains to wait for the phone to return to factory settings.
After completing the procedure, you will receive iOS in its original form. At startup, you need to select a language, region, authorize or register an Apple ID, and so on.
An alternative reset method is the iOS system menu. However, to use it, your device must start properly and not freeze for 10-15 minutes. Then you will have time to go into the settings and select the appropriate zeroing option. The advantage of this method is that the user himself chooses the reset area (full reset, reset content, network settings, geo settings, dictionary, etc.).
How to Factory Reset iPhone Using Buttons
If your mobile device from Apple constantly freezes or restarts, then a complete reset of the device can solve many software problems. In this article, we will talk about how to reset iPhone to factory settings using the buttons.
You can reset iPhone via Recovery Mode using computer and iTunes. We will also consider the option without the use of additional tools. only the physical keys of the phone.
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
In the seventh version of the iPhone, the physical Home button became touch-sensitive, so they decided to change the emergency reset combination. If the phone freezes, the touch button stops responding to pressing. To reset, you need to hold down the volume down key and the power button at the same time.
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
These devices use a slightly different reboot method. For this, for the first time, it was not necessary to use the Home button under the display.
Recall that starting with the iPhone 7, this key has ceased to be a physical button and is a touch button, and the Taptic Engine mechanism works out the feedback after pressing.
In the event of a freeze, the touch button will not respond to user actions.
So to implement a Hard Reset, you need to hold down the volume down and Power buttons until the Apple logo appears.
How to make a Hard Reset on any iPhone model
The so-called Hard Reset should only be done in extreme cases. This type of device reboot is used if the smartphone stops responding to user actions and hangs corny.
In all other cases, the standard shutdown of the device should be carried out by holding down the Power button (Side button).
Hard reset allows you to reboot the iPhone, but different models do it in different ways.
iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
In the latest generation of smartphones, Apple has changed the way the device is quickly rebooted. Now for this you need:
Press and release the volume up button.
Press and release the volume down button.
Press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
You need to do this fairly quickly with a minimum delay between clicks.
iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus and earlier
In all iPhone models from the very first to devices released in the spring of 2016 (iPhone SE) inclusive, Hard reset is carried out in the same way.
To reset, you need to hold down the Home button and the Power key until the Apple logo appears.
This reboot method works on all iPad and iPod Touch models.
Thanks to re: Store for the helpful advice.
- Share this
I love technology and everything connected with it. I believe that the greatest discoveries of humanity are yet to come!
The utility is suitable for recovering iOS locked bypassing the system’s protective measures. This will help you reset the system if you lose your passcode.
After installing the program on your computer:
- Connect smartphone to computer.
- Open utility.
- Download the latest iOS firmware.
- Run “Start Unlock”.
You cannot disconnect the device while the data is being reset.
The process takes about three minutes. The program completely formats data, deleting statistics, ID and Face ID, all passwords and unlock code. It is impossible to recover data after that.
Connect via iTunes
The device must be connected to a PC. It remains to launch iTunes, in which you need to find the item “This PC”, select the iPhone and click on “Create a copy now”.
How to understand if you managed to enable DFU mode
Throughout the procedure, the screen of the device should remain black, this is the only sign of successful activation of the mode. When the startup sounds and the welcome window appear, you must repeat the process.
After all the manipulations, you must confirm the notification “iTunes has found an iPhone in recovery mode” and click “Restore iPhone”.
Quit all services
Before restarting the gadget globally, you need to log out (unlink) from all user accounts in:
- iCloud, iTunes, App Store. to restrict access to encrypted personal data of the user, saved settings and documents;
- iMessage and Face Time. to avoid problems with the exchange of SMS and video calls;
- Messaging apps (VK, FB, Instagram, Viber, WhatsApp and others). their notifications can interfere with the data reset process.
Step by step instructions on how to erase all data and settings from iPhone
Let’s find out how to factory reset iPhone. This procedure is vital if:
- You are about to sell a gadget;
- Want to format your memory and “set up your device like new”,
- iOs works crookedly, there are a lot of glitches or caught a virus;
- The smartphone has been stolen or lost;
- You bought an iPhone from someone else.
At the same time, everything is deleted: photos, videos, correspondence in instant messengers, any access and passwords, contacts, games, programs, etc.
The instruction is universal and suitable for all models: 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XS, XS Max, XR, 11. 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max.
- To start
- Be sure to check IMEI
- Make BackUp
- ICloud cloud storage
- Connect via iTunes
- Quit all services
- The ways
- Standard tools
- Erase remotely
- DFU mode
- How to understand if you managed to enable DFU mode
- Third Party Applications
- Tenorshare 4uKe
Before starting the reset procedure, you need to prepare your smartphone:
- Fully charge the battery. If this is not possible, the battery charge must be at least 30%. Disconnecting the device during the reset or reboot procedure will most likely lead to a software failure, which creates the likelihood of getting a “brick” at the exit.
- Roll back jailbreak iOs. Zero configuration with jailbreak results in complete blocking.
- Go through the check sheet located just below.
Third Party Applications
If, in addition to the cancellation of all system data, there is a need to remove the login password, identification means (fingerprint), unlink accounts from applications, then you can resort to third-party developer tools that will allow you to do this.