Sometimes a simple restart of the laptop is enough to get the touchpad working again. You can reboot using a computer mouse. If for some reason this is not possible, you can use the keyboard. The solution options here may be different:
Open the Start menu, press Win (the button with the Windows logo applied). Then use the arrows to select the Shutdown item, press Enter and select the Reboot line.
- Simultaneous pressing of the CtrlAltDelete keys go to the “Start” menu. Further, as in the first case.
- Press AltF4 and choose restart.
Almost all modern laptops from Apple, DELL, Xiaomi, Acer, Fujitsu, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony have key combinations that allow you to disable and enable the touch panel. Basically it is a combination of the Fn key and one of the function keys (F1-F12). They should be pressed simultaneously.
It should be noted that the combinations will differ for different brands of notebooks. Let’s look at the example of the most popular laptop brands, which ones should be used when the touchpad does not work:
- Acer uses Fn F7.
- Asus may have two variants Fn F9 or Fn F7.
- Lenovo has two kinds of combinations Fn F8 or Fn F5.
- In Samsung, Toshiba, Dell, you must press the Fn and F5 keys at the same time.
- If the laptop is Sony, then you need to press Fn F1.
- At MSI. Fnf3.
This list does not include a common HP brand, since devices of this brand for these purposes have a special button that is located under the keyboard or on the touch panel itself (it is worth looking for a point or a depression).
How to enable touchpad on laptop via BIOS
- We start the reboot and when the laptop starts up, press the F2 or Del key. This way we can get into the BIOS. You should be very careful not to miss a moment (a hint is displayed at the bottom of the screen). Otherwise, you will have to reboot again.
- In the menu that appears, open the Advanced tab and find the Internal Pointing Device parameter. For the touchpad to work, its value must be Enabled. Please note that in different BIOS versions, the names of the tabs and parameters may be different. Therefore, it is advisable to first study the instruction manual for your model.
- Save the selected configuration by pressing F10 and Y.
Remember, any error while working in the BIOS can cause irreparable consequences. Therefore, you should be very careful.
How to enable the touchpad on a laptop
Touchpad is a touchpad that allows you to control the cursor without a mouse. Most laptop owners use it actively. But sometimes it just stops working. How do I enable the touchpad on a laptop? We offer several options on how to do this.
Enabling the touchpad via the toolbar
- In the control panel, find the Hardware and Sound tab and select the Mouse subsection.
- Check if the touchpad is connected. Turn it on if necessary.
Another point in some portable computers is to disable the touchpad when connecting a conventional mouse. Check if you have this option installed.
If you have already tried all of the above options, however, as before, the touchpad does not work, then we can talk about a physical breakdown. In this case, it is better to turn to professionals.
You need to log in to write a comment.
How to disable the touchpad on an Asus, HP or other laptop running Windows
The advantage of laptops is their portability and self-sufficiency. To work behind them, no additional input or output devices are required, everything you need is provided in such computers. At the same time, a laptop is often used at home or in an office stationary, and in such conditions, an additional monitor, printer, scanner or, more often, a mouse can be connected to them. When connecting a mouse to a laptop, it becomes necessary to deactivate the touchpad, which can accidentally work when using the keyboard. In this article, we will tell you how to disable the touchpad on a laptop Asus, HP, Samsung, Lenovo, Acer, Sony and others running Windows.
Disabling the touchpad on a laptop using hotkeys
Each laptop has an FN function key on its keyboard. It allows you to perform actions pre-programmed into the computer, if pressed simultaneously with another key. Among such quick commands, almost all laptops have the ability to disable the touchpad. At the same time, each manufacturer sets its own keyboard shortcut to disable the touchpad, and below we will consider the most popular commands for deactivating the touchpad on laptops from various companies.
To disable the touchpad on an Asus laptop, you must press the key combination FNF7 or FNF9, depending on your computer model. Find the icon in the lower left corner of the voiced keys that looks like a crossed out touchpad.
You can turn off the touchpad on HP notebooks by double-clicking on the upper left area of the device’s touchpad. Most often, the area you need to double click on is highlighted with a depression.
On most notebook models from Acer, the FNF7 key combination allows you to disable the touchpad. This will work if a hand is drawn in the lower left corner of the F7 button pressing the touchpad.
A combination for disabling the touchpad on Sony FNF1 laptops. At the same time, the Vaio Control Center application is installed by default on Sony portable computers, where you can, among other things, turn off the touch panel.
Disabling the touchpad on a laptop through the Control Panel
The Windows operating system works with this or that device on the computer after installing the drivers, and the touchpad is no exception in this case. Most laptops have Synaptics drivers installed by default that work with the touchpad of the touchpad. The photographic interface of this type of driver allows not only to disable the touch input panel completely, but also to configure it as necessary.
To disable the touchpad on a laptop via Synaptics drivers, do the following:
Right-click on Start and select Control Panel;
- Then set the view mode to Large icons or Small icons;
Important: After reinstalling Windows on a laptop, the Synaptics driver is not automatically installed. Also, it may not be present on some computers initially. As a result, this method of disabling the touchpad is not suitable for everyone.
Disabling the touchpad on a laptop via Device Manager
If the Synaptics driver is not installed on your laptop, you can try disabling the touchpad through the All Computer Control Center. To do this, do the following:
Press the WindowsR key combination on the keyboard to launch the Run window. Next, write the devmgmt.Msc command and click OK;
- This will launch the Device Manager. Here you need to find the touchpad connected to the laptop. It can be located under Mice and Other Pointing Devices or HID Devices. At the same time, depending on the computer model and touchpad, it may have different names USB mouse, Synaptics PS / 2 Touchpad, USB input device and others;
- When the touchpad is found, right-click on it and select Disable.
Note: If you see multiple USB input devices connected and cannot determine which one is the touchpad, you can disable them one at a time. After each disconnected device, try to interact with the touchpad, and if it works, then turn the device back on and go to the next.
On laptops of the Chinese company Lenovo, the touchpad is disabled using the FNF5 or FNF8 keyboard shortcut, depending on which of the buttons has a strikethrough panel.
Third-party programs to disable the touchpad
An easy way to disable the touchpad on a laptop is to download and install the Touchpad Blocker utility, which has several useful options for configuring the touch input device, and also implies the ability to completely deactivate it. You can download the Touchpad Blocker application from the official website of the developers. After installation, it runs in the background, performing tasks that the user requires of it.
We propose to sort out the capabilities of the application, which does not have Russian localization, point by point.
This option is responsible for the automatic loading of the Touchpad Blocker application when the computer is turned on;
- A setting that enables or disables program notifications that appear in the tray when it is running;
- The most important setting in which the user can specify how long after clicking on the keyboard button the laptop’s touchpad is disabled. If it is necessary to completely block the touch input device, this can be selected from the drop-down menu;
- If the touchpad has a separate button for scrolling the page content, it is blocked when this option is activated;
- Sound notification when the touchpad is disabled;
- Configuring hotkeys for activating and deactivating Touchpad Blocker.
Disabling the touchpad using this program compares favorably with the options described above. With its help, you can configure the touchpad lock only during typing so that there are no accidental movements and clicks, while the rest of the time the touchpad can work.
Most modern laptops have special keys on the keyboard to disable the touchpad, you will find them on almost all Asus, Lenovo, Acer and Toshiba laptops (some brands have them, but not all models).
Below, where it is written separately by brand, there are photos of keyboards with marked keys for disabling. In general terms, you need to press the Fn key and the touchpad on / off icon key to disable the touchpad.
Important: if the specified key combinations do not work, it is quite possible that the necessary software is not installed. Details from this: Fn key does not work on laptop.
Windows Mobility Center
For some laptops, for example Dell, disabling the touchpad is available in the Windows Mobility Center, which can be opened from the menu by right-clicking on the battery icon in the notification area.
So, with the methods that assume the presence of all the manufacturer’s drivers are finished. Now let’s move on to what to do, there are no original drivers for the touchpad.
Lenovo laptops use different key combinations to disable the most common, these are Fn F5 and Fn F8. On the desired key, you will see the corresponding icon with a crossed out touchpad.
You can also use Synaptics settings to change the touchpad behavior.
For Acer notebooks, the most typical key combination is Fn F7, as in the image below.
Disabling the touchpad with official drivers
If your laptop has all the necessary drivers from the manufacturer’s official website (see How to install drivers on a laptop), as well as related programs, that is, you did not reinstall Windows, and after that did not use the driver pack (which I do not recommend for laptops) , then to disable the touchpad you can use the methods provided by the manufacturer.
Using Synaptics Settings in Control Panel
Many laptops (but not all) use the Synaptics touchpad and related drivers. Most likely, your laptop too.
In this case, you can configure the touchpad to turn off automatically when the mouse is connected via USB (including wireless). For this:
Go to the control panel, make sure that the View item is set to Icons, not Categories, open the Mouse item.
- Open the Device Settings tab with the Synaptics icon.
On the indicated tab, you can customize the behavior of the touch panel, as well as, to choose from:
- Disable the touchpad by clicking the corresponding button below the device list
- Check the box Disable internal pointing device when connecting an external pointing device to the USB port in this case, the touchpad will be disabled when the mouse is connected to the laptop.
How to disable the touchpad on a laptop
Today, a person who is quite versed in computers asked me how to disable the touchpad on his laptop, as it interferes with work. I suggested, and then looked to see how many people are interested in this issue on the Internet. And, as it turned out, there are very many, and therefore it makes sense to write about it in detail. See also: Touchpad not working on Windows 10 laptop.
In the instructions, I will first tell you step by step how to disable the touchpad of a laptop using the keyboard, driver settings, and also in Device Manager or Windows Mobility Center. And then I’ll go over each popular laptop brand separately. May also be helpful (especially if you have kids): How to disable keyboard in Windows 10, 8 and Windows 7.
Below in the guide you will find keyboard shortcuts and other methods for the following laptop brands (but first, I recommend reading the first part, which will work for almost all cases):
- Sony Vaio