The gender of a pet is sometimes difficult to determine. And turtles are no exception. How to distinguish them from each other?
Methods for determining the sex of turtles
Often, trying to find out the sex of a turtle causes certain difficulties. This type of reptile does not have pronounced signs of a physical difference between the sexes (sexual dimorphism). At present, determining the sex of a tortoise of any species is to compare the external characteristics of individuals.
It is possible to determine the sex of the turtle by the following external signs:
- eye color in females and males, for example, in females of swamp turtles, the eyes are yellow, in males – brown;
- by the color of the upper jaw, for example, the upper jaw of male bog turtles is whitish;
- by the color of the nose;
- head color;
- along the length and thickness of the claws. Males of most freshwater turtles on their forelegs have long claws that are used during mating. On the hind legs of male box turtles, the claws on the inside are bent and thickened, which helps them when mating. Elongated claws located on the hind legs of female panther turtles are used for laying eggs;
- along the ventral side of the shell (plastron). Most land tortoises can be distinguished by plastron concave in males and flat in females. This helps with mating by keeping the male body on the convex back of the female;
- in the form of a shell. In males it is narrower and elongated, in females. shorter and rounded;
- along the rear end of the plastron. In males, it resembles the letter V, in females. it is rounded and the hole formed by it has a larger diameter than that of males;
- tail. In males, the tail is thicker and longer; in females, the tail is short and without thickening;
- by type of cesspool and its location. In males, the cloaca resembles a longitudinal line and is located farther from the edge of the carapace than in females, in which the cloaca is in the form of an asterisk and is located at the very end of the carapace;
- on femur spurs, which are better expressed in males (only in a few species of land turtles);
- to size. Since females must bear eggs, more often, they are larger than males.
You can also determine the sex of turtles by behavior. Males are active, often show aggression towards their rivals, trying to turn backwards, chasing and flirting with females, climbing on them and biting their neck. If an individual moves its head up and down, then there is a high probability that the male is in front of you.
How to distinguish the sex of a tortoise land
The land turtle has a special carapace shape. The long tail of the male is completely hidden by a carapace strongly bent to the ground. The short tail of the females remains outside the carapace. The shell of the females of some land turtles with noticeable tubercles, which in males are smoothed with age and the shell becomes smooth.
These signs are also characteristic of Central Asian and red-eared turtles.
Sex determination of a Central Asian tortoise
Until the Central Asian tortoise grows up, one can only guess which individual is in front of us. They can be distinguished after reaching 6-10 years of age. The shape of the cesspool in males is a longitudinal strip. In females – in the shape of an asterisk.
Determination of the gender of eared turtles
Individuals can be distinguished when the male is 2–5 years old, and the female is 3–8 years old. Trachemys has a pointed muzzle. True, the nose of males is longer and sharper than that of females. On the front legs of the males, the claws located on the front legs of the males are longer. In males. long and thickened tail, in females – thin and short. All these signs can be safely attributed to other types of decorated turtles.