Why duplicate contacts in Android and how to fix it?
The reasons for duplicate numbers in the phone book with the Android operating system can be several. These failures can be associated with a firmware change in the operating system, when backing up, as well as the re-synchronization of contacts from the SIM card or other sources. For example, very often duplicates appear when installing WhatsApp and other applications where you can add subscribers. Sometimes the problem lies in the fact that the user has several SIM cards in the phone, and therefore they are copied from several sources to the memory of the device at once.
If you encounter such a problem, you should not panic. As a rule, it can be solved in several ways, and there is no need to spend a lot of time or carry your phone to the service center and pay money. The whole process takes a few minutes and does not require any serious skills from you.
Merging contacts on Android
Before proceeding to the procedure of deleting records, you can try to merge them. The idea is that the system will automatically reconcile your contacts, and if it detects that they are identical, it will merge them. In the end, all the duplicates will simply disappear and your smartphone will be left with the original copies. You can do this with the standard Android tools:
- Go to “Contacts” application on your phone and tap the menu item or in any free area to bring up an additional menu (we look at the example of Xiaomi);
- Go to “Merge duplicates” and click “Merge”;
- The system automatically scans your entire list and shows you which contacts can be merged. You simply select all or merge only the ones you want.
Merging contacts via Gmail
With the Android operating system, each user creates an account that automatically links to your Gmail service. Through it, you can also view a complete list of duplicates and delete the ones you don’t need, and the system will do it automatically. The whole process boils down to the following steps:
- On your computer, go to the Gmail site and sign in with the same account that you have on your smartphone;
- Go to “Contacts” (depending on the selected interface, the tab on the right or left side of the site);
- Find item “Similar contacts”. Click on it and press “Merge” to have the system automatically delete duplicates. You need to have synchronization set up on your smartphone, so that the information on the site is as updated as possible, and once you have deleted the duplicates, it will be updated on your phone as well.
Delete contacts in manual mode
If you have few duplicates, you can delete them manually, using the standard tools on your phone.
- Go to “Contacts” and choose the necessary one from the list;
- Tap on it and press “Delete” in additional menu;
- This way you delete all those records which are duplicated, leaving one copy at a time. The information is usually displayed in alphabetical order, so on your phone screen you will see all the duplicates one by one.
Attention! Android also has a “Group Delete” option, which allows you to mark all the contacts you need and delete them all at once. The process is also performed in the additional “Contacts” menu.
How to delete contacts from the SIM card on Android
The tiny SIM card can store hundreds of contacts. And if you need to use them on a brand new Android phone, you just need to insert the sim card into the device. But in some cases you need to delete contacts from the SIM card “Android” permanently (for example, when you want to sell your old device).
How to delete contacts from the SIM card
There are different ways to remove contacts from the SIM card in the Android phone, and you can choose the most appropriate one, according to your needs.
Through the menu of the phone
This is the easiest method that does not require you to download and use any special applications. It is performed as follows:
- Go to the “Contacts” app on your Android device.
- Find the contacts you want to delete.
- Click on the selected items until they are all ticked.
- Now select the “Delete” option to erase them from your Android SIM card.
Alternatively, if you want to delete groups of contacts from Android, just go to “Groups” and check the desired positions. Tap the “Delete” option to complete this process.
SamsungKies is free software used to communicate between Windows or Macintosh operating systems and recently released Samsung smartphones and tablets. It is used to delete contacts from the SIM card in the following way:
- Connect your Samsung smartphone to your PC with a USB cable.
- Start Samsung Kies on your computer.
- In the app, select “Contacts” in the “Connected Devices” section.
- On the contacts page that opens, select the SIM tab.
- Select the items you want to delete and click the “Trash” icon.
- Now click “Save to device” to apply the changes on your phone.
SamsungKies service works with smartphones on “Android” version 4.3 and above. Older phone models the app does not support.
Using a Google account
As you know, Android OS is developed by Google. To use your smartphone on this platform, you need a Google account, which automatically syncs your contacts to Gmail. Thus, sometimes there are duplicate contacts. To delete them using your Google Account, you’ll need to do the following:
- Go to your smartphone’s settings, select Google, and then Google Account. Swipe the menu to the left to see the “Contacts” sub-item.
- Tap on it, and it will redirect you to the browser to show you all your saved contacts.
- If there are repeating items in the list, you will be notified. Tap on “View” and then select MERGE ALL.
You can also manually delete unnecessary contacts. Click on any specific item, then click on the three vertical dots at the top of the page and select “Delete” from the menu that opens. This helps you remove a contact from your Google account.
If the above methods don’t work, you can download a third-party Android contact management app. If you don’t want to delete positions one by one, try installing Android Data Eraser or Assistant for Android, which are the best data managers for “Android. They allow you to delete contacts from your SIM card with a single click. What’s more, with Assistant for Android you can view all your contact information. not just your phone number, but also your email or other information before deleting.
In addition, this tool for “Android” also allows you to add new contacts, edit existing contact information and back them up to your computer. You can also transfer contacts from one Android phone to another. So how to perform the above process using third-party apps.
Using MobiKin Assistant
This Android app works on Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola, Nexus, Huawei, ZTE and some other smartphones. To delete all your contacts from your phone with it, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Download and install MobiKin Assistant for Android on your PC or Mac.
- Run the app and connect your Android phone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Turn on USB debugging on your device and the app will soon detect it.
- Select the tabs “Contacts” and then “All contacts” in the left sidebar of the program’s interface, and all the contact information contained on your smartphone will be displayed in the list.
- Tick the contacts you want to erase and select the “Delete” option at the top of the menu.
Using Android Data Eraser
Another well-known and popular application for data management on “Android“. To delete your SIM contacts with it, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the installed software on your computer, and then connect your Android phone to your PC via a USB cord. After that, go to the on-screen prompts for the app to recognize your smartphone.
- Then tap “Erase” on the main interface, and then tap “Medium” on the next interface. After clicking on the word, a window will appear with three levels of security. Simply select the level of data deletion you want and tap “OK” to confirm your choice.
- The next screen that opens will ask you “Delete all data?” and an empty field. Type “Delete” into it and confirm the selection to start the process of deleting contacts from your Android SIM card permanently.
The current version of the application only allows you to delete all data at once, so it is recommended to make a backup copy of your phone in advance.
Deleting duplicate numbers
To eliminate repeating the same contact information, you can use the option provided by Android by default. This works on almost all devices on this platform and is free.
To do this, the “Merge duplicates” option, located in the “Android” menu, is applied. Combine the same contacts into the same account if you have two phone numbers of the same person with the same name saved. This is done as follows:
The standard way to delete a contact
On Android phones, there is an easy way to edit your contact list. To do this, you need to find an application that keeps a list of them. Usually it is called “Contacts”, but it may be otherwise. Its icon represents a directory with the schematic representation of a person on it.
Next, how to delete a phone number in Android, the instructions will tell you:
- You have a list of contacts in front of you, find the one that is no longer relevant.
- Press on the contact you want to delete. Hold your finger down until an additional menu pops up.
- Select “Delete” from the list, confirm your decision.
When you click on the right line, the operating system can behave differently. Sometimes the menu does not appear, and at the top of the screen activates the line, which schematically shows the available actions. In this case, you need to select the icon that resembles a trash can or recycle garbage can.
Also, sometimes the interface of this application involves calling up the menu with a special button, rather than holding your finger for a long time.
In this case, you need to:
- Select the contact to delete from the list;
- click on it;
- Select the three-dot sign at the top or bottom of the control bar;
- select “Delete” from the menu that appears.
If none of the ways to call the menu works, press the left-most button at the bottom of the screen. It is used for alternative menu calling. There you can also delete or change your contacts.
Deleting SIM contacts.cards
Many people save contacts on the SIM.card, so that when you change the device you can have access to them. In this case you may face the problem of how to delete old phone numbers, if they are saved in the SIM memory. If you prefer to store numbers of friends and acquaintances not in the phone memory, the sequence of actions will be different:
- Click on the menu pop-up at the bottom of the screen (far left).
- The display will show the settings for the Contacts application. In the list you need to find the line “Display”.
- This item has several options for displaying contacts. You need to select the one that provides for displaying in the general list the information from the SIM.cards. Turn it on.
- Now go back to the list of contacts and edit them as you wish.
Almost every modern SIM.There are service numbers on the card, which are marked with the icon “Lock”. They can be a big nuisance, but you cannot delete them. These numbers are needed to call emergency services, check your balance, and contact the operator’s hot line trimmer.
If the SIM card has only service numbers that you do not use, you must turn off its display in the list, then they will not disturb you. In order that SIM contacts do not appear in the main list, it is necessary to disable their display in the general list through the settings. This is done through the “Display” tab in the menu.
Batch deletion of contacts from the phone
If you want to carry out a global sweep of contacts, you can do a batch deletion. Depending on your operating system’s configuration, it’s done in two ways.
The easiest option for batch deletion of numbers and contacts:
- Go to the “Contacts” or “People” app.
- Select any of the entries, tap and hold your finger on it.
- Cells will appear to the left of the list of contacts.
- Place a marker in them (by short taps) against the contacts you want to delete.
- On the top line, select the word “Delete” or the icon that resembles a trash can.
- Confirm your actions.
In more modern versions of Android there is an option “Batch Delete“. To do this, go to the “Contacts” app and bring up the settings menu, with the touch key under the screen (far left).
Then proceed to delete your contacts following these instructions:
- find the “Advanced” line and select it;
- Select “Batch Delete” from the options in the menu that opens;
- Activate it;
- Go back to “Contacts”;
- Check the boxes next to the entries you want to get rid of;
- at the top press the delete button.
These are basic ways to delete multiple contacts at once, but they are not always convenient. If you want to completely zero your directory, you have to do it in a different way.
Deactivating the account
If you want to completely reset your contact list, you must disable the account with which they are synced. This option will be useful if you are preparing the phone for sale or on the contrary have bought a smartphone and want to get rid of other people’s numbers. Deactivate the account by following the instructions:
- Find the “Settings” or “Google Settings” application on your phone.
- Find “Personal information” and go to “Accounts.
- Select the “Accounts” tab. It will list several accounts. You will most often have your directory information synced to Google.
- You need to delete the “Contacts” tab from your account and disable its synchronization. If your Google account is not separated into separate records, then deactivate its synchronization completely.
- Now you need to enter the menu. It is usually represented in the upper line by a button with three vertically placed dots.
- Press the “Synchronize” button and the phone will update the data in its memory. Contact list information or data from your Googl e account will disappear from your phone completely.
This way you can keep in memory only contact lists from messengers, and delete previously saved numbers. If, on the contrary, you want to delete contacts that appeared in memory due to the use of messengers, you must disable accounts in them from synchronization. Thus, you will get rid of the display in your phonebook numbers of social network users who are your friends, and you will not have to search for the necessary numbers among the data of unfamiliar people with whom you communicate by means of messaging in any of the popular messengers.
Editing the synchronized Google data
If you duplicate the list of contacts in your Google account, you can not only delete it entirely, but also edit it and then synchronize your device with your account. This is handy if you have a lot of numbers in your address book, and you don’t know how to delete a phone number from your account without disabling it. Follow the instructions:
Mass deletion of contacts on Android
If you need to delete a large number of contacts, the method described above will not be very convenient. Because you need to call the context menu for each contact to delete. Instead, you can use mass deletion of contacts. To do this you need to launch the application contacts and open the context menu of the application.
The context menu of the application opens with the button with the image of three dots or with the touch button under the screen. After opening the context menu of the application you should select the item “Delete“.
This will open a menu for mass deletion of contacts on Android. Here you need to check the boxes next to the contacts you want to delete, then click on the “Delete” button.
If a warning window appears, just click on the “Ok” button. That’s it, your selected contacts will be deleted from your Android device.
How to delete a contact on Android
Our experienced team of editors and researchers participated in the creation of this article and checked it for accuracy and completeness.
The wikiHow content management team carefully monitors the work of the editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
Number of views of this article: 204 282.
You can delete contacts from your Android device through the “Contacts” or “People” app. You can also disable the account synchronization to delete the contacts, which were received during synchronization. If you keep your contacts on your Google account, use the Google Contacts site to be able to organize and delete them.
Open the Contacts or People app. The name of the app will depend on your Android device.
- If you want to delete several contacts at once, tap and hold the first contact until a menu with a list of options opens, then select additional contacts. This feature may look different, depending on your device.
Press “Delete”. The location and appearance of this button may vary slightly, but it is usually located at the top of the screen. The button may say the word “Delete” or look like a trash can. You may have to first click the three vertical dots button, and then select “Delete” in the menu that appears.
Press “Yes” to confirm deletion of selected contacts. You will be asked to confirm your decision to permanently delete contacts from your device.
Disabling account synchronization
The question of how to delete contacts from Android is directly related to the synchronization of devices. If it is really necessary to clear the phone book or erase certain information from it, you need to have synchronization with the Google account enabled on your smartphone. Otherwise, all unnecessary information will be saved in your account and will reappear in the memory of the gadget. So disabling account synchronization is not recommended when you work with your phonebook.
However, if you need to deactivate a large number of phone numbers at one time, you can use the disabling of synchronization.
Deleting contacts by third-party programs
You still haven’t learned how to delete contacts on Android? The program for working with the phone book causes some difficulties? Then you need to remember that you’re not holding an antediluvian phone with a disk dialer, but a modern smartphone with enormous capabilities. And what you do not like here can be easily replaced.
If your current contact program is giving you trouble, download another one. To do this, you need to visit the application store Playmarket and enter the word “contacts” into the search. Here’s a list of not bad apps:
These are proven feature-rich applications for working with your phone book and contacts.
How to delete contacts on Android
When using a smartphone, sooner or later in his phone book there are contacts that are no longer relevant and they need to be removed. How to delete contacts on your Android smartphone and we will tell you in this article.
Deleting a contact using the Android OS’s built-in tools
Functions of adding, editing and deleting contacts are present in the standard application “Contacts”, so open this application, the icon of which is usually located in the dock bar of the desktop, and begin to work with it.
This method is good for deleting a couple or three records in the phone book, but if you need to remove a lot of contacts, it is better to use the method described below.
How to restore deleted contacts in Android
What to do if you inattentively deleted the wrong entries? Is there any way to get them back?? Restore deleted contacts in Android is possible if you have set up synchronization of contacts with the service Google Contacts. If you use this service, do the following:
- Launch the browser (on your smartphone or desktop computer) and enter your username and password to your account at https://contacts.google.com
- Click on the “” link in the left column. From the drop-down list, select “Undo changes”.
- In the menu that appears, select the time to which you want to rollback the state of your entries in the contact book (note, the depth of rollback can not be more than 30 days) and click “Confirm”. Contacts will be restored.
As you can see, storing your phonebook entries in Google is the best option, reducing the risk of losing data to a minimum.
How to delete files from the phone, if for some reason they are not deleted
The world of modern smartphones is rapidly evolving. Every year we get more and more devices with top features. However, there are also gadgets, the memory of which is not so great and over time it does not remain at all. And as the operating system from Google “sins” that, erasing objects, leaves behind “tails” we will talk today about how to delete deleted files in Android.
The following instruction is suitable for any version of Android. The only difference will be in the appearance and location of individual settings items.
Deleting what you can’t delete
There are 2 simple ways to implement our idea. We will take a closer look at each of them so that you can choose the one that suits you best.
Using your computer
The variant for the PC is bad by the fact that it can only work with the memory card of the Android gadget. You will not be able to find and delete items on the internal drive. The essence of the method is as follows:
- First you need to download and install a program called CCleaner. When this is done, launch the application.
- On the right side of the window, activate the tab “Clean. Start the process by clicking on the “Analysis” button and wait for it to complete.
- It will find a list of temporary files and other unnecessary objects. Press “Clean” button to remove them.
- Wait until all unnecessary data will be deleted. That’s all.
The program is completely free and will prove useful not only for one-time cleaning of your smartphone, but also for constant monitoring of the “cleanliness” of your computer or laptop.
The applications we recommend to clean the memory are also 2 at a time. Both can be downloaded for free from Google Play.
- Download and run the program. In its upper left corner, you must select the. Then determine the mode of search and delete data. There are these options:
- standard deletion;
- GOST Russia standard;
- The DoD standard in the USA;
- HMGI UK standard;
- US DoD (ECE) standard;
- BSI standard Germany.
- We recommend choosing the first method. It is the most secure. When the choice is made, scroll down the window content a bit and select the cleaning tile.
- This will start the cleaning process, which is fully automatic.
Important: until the scanning and cleaning is completed, do not use the phone, let it lie quietly for a couple of minutes.
As you can see, working with this program is very easy. However, let’s also consider the second application.
Another program that can clear our phone from those files that have been deleted but still continue to take up space. As in the previous case, you can download the application from the official Google store. When the program is loaded, follow our step-by-step instruction:
- In the main window click on the “Next” button.
- A list of cleaning options will then open:
- Free up some space;
- files and folders;
- Temporary files;
- external drives.
- As in the previous case, choose the algorithm that will be used to clean the drive. In our case it is the one that is the default. We will move on again by clicking on “Continue”.
After that the scanning process will start and we have to wait for its completion. This usually does not take long, but you should not operate your smartphone during the cleanup.
Done. Now you are familiar with all the ways to clean the memory of your smartphone, by deleting those files that seem to have already been erased. All that remains is to move on to practice and try all of the above options on your phone.
Attention, if you still have questions, be sure to ask us. In addition to providing text and video information, we respond to Комментарии и мнения владельцев and help people in various situations.
August 21st, 2019 Alex Gerus
When using a smartphone, you may encounter a situation where deleted data is spontaneously restored. The situation is especially sad if you need to urgently delete some personal photos or videos. The same applies to contacts, SMS and other messages, applications and so on. Remarkable, but it is not about viruses or external threats, most likely the smartphone uses synchronization with the cloud storage.
Why smartphone files are restored after deletion
If you notice a photo or other data that you deleted earlier restored without your knowledge. there is a high probability that the information was synchronized with an external storage and restored by a special function. These programs and applications are quite a lot, and most of them are implanted in your smartphone by the manufacturer, so you may not know about their existence and operation.
You can synchronize almost anything:
In most cases, saving data to the cloud is the responsibility of your Google account, but smartphone manufacturers themselves often initiate a similar procedure with their cloud storages. In addition, there are several special applications that also provide similar services.
However, remember that the synchronization function is very useful. if your phone is damaged or lost, you can easily and effortlessly restore the necessary data. Therefore it should be turned off with caution, and better temporarily.
How to fix the situation with the data synchronization and delete files from your smartphone forever
If you need to delete data to free up memory or for any other reasons, you only need to get rid of the reason for restoring the information. Synchronizing data is just a feature that can be turned off. You only need to determine which program or application is responsible for. The installation paths may vary from phone to phone, but in most cases the settings are very similar to each other.