How to Delete a Photo from Phone Memory
If you own a modern smartphone, even editing your contact list can be difficult. It’s all about synchronization, which does not allow you to change the phone numbers in memory as you wish. In addition, the device collects numbers from popular instant messengers into one list and this causes additional difficulties. We’ll figure out how to delete a contact or phone number from a smartphone.
The standard way to delete a contact
On phones with Android operating system, there is an easy way to edit your contact list. To do this, find the application that stores their list. Usually it’s called “Contacts”, but it can be otherwise. His pictogram is a notebook with a schematic image of a person on it.
Next, how to delete the phone number in Android, the instruction will tell you:
- Here is a list of contacts, find in it the one that has lost relevance.
- Click on the contact you want to delete. Hold your finger until an additional menu appears.
- From the list, select “Delete”, confirm your decision.
When you click on the desired line, the operating system can behave differently. Sometimes the menu does not appear, and at the top of the screen a line is activated, on which the available actions are schematically displayed. In this case, you need to select an icon that resembles a trash can or basket.
Also, sometimes the interface of this application involves calling the menu not with a long hold of the finger, but with a special button.
- select the contact to delete from the list;
- click on it;
- select the sign in the form of three points at the top or bottom in the control line;
- From the menu that appears, select “Delete.”
If none of the ways to access the menu work, press the leftmost button at the bottom of the screen. It is used for an alternative menu call. In it you can also delete a contact or change it.
Removing contacts from a SIM card
Many save contacts on the SIM card so that when changing the device they have access to them. In this case, you may run into a problem of how to delete old phone numbers if they are stored in the SIM memory. If you prefer to store the numbers of friends and acquaintances in the phone’s memory, the sequence of actions will be different:
- Click on the menu popup at the bottom of the screen (far left).
- The settings of the Contacts application will be displayed on the screen. In the list you need to find the line “Display”.
- There are several options for demonstrating contacts at this point. You need to choose the one that provides for displaying information from the SIM card in the general list. Turn on this display.
- Now go back to the list of contacts and edit them as you wish.
Almost every modern SIM card has service numbers, which are marked with the “Lock” icon. They can interfere greatly, but it is impossible to remove them. These numbers are necessary for calling emergency services, checking balance and contacting the operator’s hotline.
If there are only service numbers on the SIM card that you do not use, then you need to disable its display in the list, then they will not bother you. In order to prevent contacts with SIM from appearing in the main list, it is necessary to disable listing them in the general list through the settings. This is done through the “Display” tab in the menu.
Batch delete contacts from phone
If you want to conduct a global cleaning of contacts, then you can do a mass deletion. Depending on the configuration of the operating system, it is carried out in two ways.
- Go to the “Contacts” or “People” application.
- Select any of the entries, click on it and hold your finger.
- Cells will appear to the left of the contact list.
- Put in them markers (short presses) opposite the contacts that you want to delete.
- In the top line, select the word “Delete” or an icon resembling a trash can.
- Confirm your actions.
modern versions of Android have the option “Batch removal”. For her, you need to go to the “Contacts” application and call up the settings menu, using the touch button under the screen (far left).
- Find the line “Advanced” and select it;
- from the options in the menu that opens, select “Batch removal”;
- activate it;
- return to the “Contacts”;
- check the boxes next to the entries you want to get rid of;
- on the top, click the delete button.
These are the main ways to delete several contacts at once, but they are not always convenient to use. If you want to completely reset the notebook, then you need to do otherwise.
If you want to completely reset the contact list, you must disable the account with which they are synchronized. This option will be useful if you are preparing a phone for sale or vice versa bought a smartphone from your hands and want to get rid of other people’s numbers. Disconnecting an account is done according to the instructions:
- Find the Settings or Google Settings application on your phone.
- Find the “Personal Information” item and go to the “Accounts” section.
- Select the Accounts tab. It will list several accounts. Information from the notebook is most often synced to Google.
- You need to remove the “Contacts” tab from your account and disable its synchronization. If your Google account is not divided into separate records, then completely deactivate its synchronization.
- Now you need to go to the menu. Usually it is represented in the line at the top by a button with three vertically arranged dots.
- Press the “Sync” button and the phone will update the data in its memory. Contact list information or data from your Googl e account will disappear completely from your phone.
Thus, only contact lists from instant messengers can be stored in memory, and previously stored numbers can be deleted. If, on the contrary, you want to delete contacts that appeared in memory due to the use of instant messengers, then you need to disconnect the accounts in them from synchronization. Thus, you will get rid of the display in your phone book of the numbers of users of social networks who are with you as friends, and also you can not search for the necessary numbers among the data of unfamiliar people with whom you communicated through the exchange of messages in any of the popular instant messengers.
If you duplicate the contact list in your Google account, you can not only delete it in its entirety, but also edit it and then synchronize the device with your account. This is convenient if you have a lot of numbers in your notebook and you don’t know how to remove a phone number from your account without disconnecting it. Follow the instructions:
- To edit numbers synchronized with Google, you need to open a browser on your phone and go to Contacts. On some versions of the OS there is an application with this name, in others you need to go through Gmail. If you will work through the browser on your phone or PC, you will need to go to google. com / contacts. From a home computer will work more conveniently.
- Log in to the service using your Google account information.
- You will see photos and names of contacts stored in your account.
- You need to click on the images to select them.
- Selected entries are deleted using the Trash button located at the top of the screen. All entries you select are deleted.
- Now it remains only to close the browser and go to “Settings”.
- There you need to enable your Google account if it has been deactivated.
- Then go to the menu (it is called with a button with three vertical dots). Click the line “Sync”. After that, your contact list will be updated.
This method does not work if you saved the numbers in the phone or SIM card memory. It is only suitable for users who used a Google account and left all contacts in it.
If, after selecting contacts in the browser, the “Trash” button is not active, this means that some of the numbers in the list are saved using Google. In this case, you must go to Circles and delete these contacts there. After that, go to Contacts and repeat the operation.
Duplicate contacts: how to combine and remove redundant ones?
Another problem for Android users are duplicate contacts. They appear when different firmware is installed on the device and then synchronized. As a result, the number book increases significantly and you will have to scroll through the search for the desired contact more than usual. There is an exit. For starters, you can try to cope with duplicates by the forces of the operating system. The standard application “Contacts” has the function of combining duplicate records. To do this, do the following:
- Launch the People or Contacts application.
- Press the menu touch button below the phone display (leftmost).
- Find the string “Advanced” in the list.
- Select the function “Merge duplicates”.
- You will be taken to a new screen where the operating system will prompt you to find identical records and combine them.
- Confirm your decision.
Delete contacts using special programs
In older versions of the Android OS, this function may not be available or may not work correctly. Therefore, you can not combine the contacts, but delete them. To do this, you can use the standard batch deletion, but if you have a large phone book, then manual search for identical entries will take a lot of time. It is best to use special utilities. One of the easiest and most affordable is Duplicate Contacts. You need to work with it according to the instructions.
How to remove duplicate contacts in Google contacts
If your phone is synchronized with your Google account and information is stored on its server, then you can delete duplicates otherwise. The actions will be similar to those you performed to edit the list. You will need to do the following:
- Log in to google.com/contacts.
- Enter the login (your Google email account) and the password for the account you are using.
- Go to the tab “All contacts” and select the line “Find similar contacts”.
- Now you need to select duplicates. Delete them through the top line with the Trash icon.
If some of the contacts are synchronized from Google, then similar actions must be carried out in the “Circles” tab. In order for the contact list to be displayed correctly in the phone’s memory, you need to complete editing using synchronization. It must be carried out through the “Settings”. Keep your account activated and in sync. Some custom firmware disables it.
Now you know how to remove a phone number from the main list in a smartphone. We told you about all the methods that work on Android OS. Share information with friends, ask questions and share your observations in the comments. Feedback is welcome!