How to Connect Sound on a Computer
It is difficult to imagine a more ridiculous situation than watching the next issue of Comedy club on a PC without sound. However, this kind of computer malfunction is far from uncommon in user practice. A great example of this. Indefatigable popularity of questions on how to turn on sound on the computer. Yes, the “unauthorized boycott” announced by your PC is definitely an unpleasant surprise for many novice users. Especially when you consider that the problem with sound is very multifaceted in resolution. However, dear reader, you are lucky again! Since in just a few minutes you will be able to “untie the language” of almost any Windows operating system. Well, let’s not waste precious time. We turn to the experience of professionals.
Diagnostics of computer “dumbness”
The answer to the question of how to restore sound on a computer, you need to look in two directions. The fact is that most often the system "losing voice" due to software crashes. However, the sound may disappear as a result of the failure of any hardware component. For example, an integrated audio chip. To understand what exactly is the cause of “silence”, you need to resort to a step-by-step plan of action. Only after a thorough practical analysis is carried out, you will be firmly convinced whether your sound malfunction is either hardware or software. However, let’s not talk about the bad. Everything should be decided without the intervention of a specialist.
Step No. 1. Elementary verification
Tell me how to turn on the sound on the computer if the speakers are inoperative or simply not connected? Clear business, in any way! Exceptionally simple actions will help you avoid mistakes and wasted time.
First of all, you need to check:
- Are the speakers connected to the PC and does the socket in use correspond to the destination device.
- The location of the plug if the speakers are powered by an electrical outlet.
- What position is the volume control in? Perhaps it is twisted “to zero.”
- Is one of the connecting cords damaged?
Often it is precisely these “platitudes” that push a person to the wrong actions. Therefore, be careful. Connect known-good speakers. Perhaps all your fears are in vain!
Step # 2. Detect “secret” signs
In the case when the sound has disappeared on the computer, pay attention to the icon in the form of a speaker, which is located in the system tray. Perhaps it is crossed out, which means the deactivation of the playback device. Move the slider up. If everything remains unchanged, go to the next decision item.
Step number 3. Windows Services
It’s no secret that the operating system has incredibly wide functionality. Management and control in the OS are carried out by special services, one of which is responsible for reproducing audio material. Full-fledged sound tuning on a computer without Windows Audio is simply not possible. Therefore, you must check the current status of this service.
- Using the WinR hotkey combination, call up the Run menu.
- In the window that opens, enter the services.Msc command. After confirmation with the “OK” button, you will be redirected to the special section “Services”.
- Find Windows Audio in the list.
In order for the sound to be reproduced and the audio settings to be correctly recognized by the system, make sure that the service is active. That is, in the column “Status” the parameter “Running” is indicated, and in the column “Startup type” it is set to “Automatic”. You can make the necessary changes using the same right mouse button, placing the cursor on the item that requires the appropriate edition.
Step number 4. A driver that can “fly out”
The crossed out speaker in the tray can also indicate the incapacity of the special program code controlling the audio chip. In other words, the sound on the computer disappears when the driver becomes inoperative.
- Open the Start menu.
- Then go to the “System” section.
- In the left part of the window, select “Device Manager”.
It will not be difficult for you to find the “culprit” of a problematic situation. A non-working device will be marked with an exclamation or prohibition sign in the list provided. Update the sound driver using the service disk (software for the motherboard from the kit). In the absence of such, you need to refer to the official website of the manufacturer and in the “Support” section download the appropriate software modification for your PC. It is worth noting that, before installing the latest version of the sound driver, you must remove the old device control component.
Windows standard functionality
When all your attempts by practical actions to answer the question of how to turn on the sound on the computer did not bring fruitful results, it makes sense to use the incredibly convenient option “Diagnostics of malfunctions”. However, this functionality is available only in later versions of the Windows operating system. To run this conflict resolution tool, you must right-click on the conflicting device (indicated by the system with a special warning sign) and select “Diagnostics and Correction” in the context menu. In a few minutes, the OS will notify you of the result of the work performed. It is likely that such a sound setting on the computer will be an effective salvation of a seemingly “dull” situation.
Step No. 5. Settings
If you are convinced that the driver is installed correctly, and the service window of the sound device “Properties” displays the current status “Works fine”, then the solution to the question “how to turn on the sound on the computer” should be sought using the following algorithm of actions:
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
- Go to the Sound section.
- In the window that opens, right-click on the icon of the displayed playback device. Select “Properties” from the context menu.
- From the “General” tab, pay attention to the “Use the device” item below. Precisely, the value in the check box. Apply parameter "On".
In the case when the list contains several installed playback devices, one of them should be assigned the value “Default”.
Step number 6. Audio controller
As a rule, in most manufactured motherboards an extended sound scheme is implemented. That is, the integrated audio chip can be controlled through a specially installed driver. Let’s look at an example where the sound is configured on a computer using the Realtek HD manager.
- Click the speaker icon (darker in color and slightly larger than the standard Windows volume control).
- In the dispatcher’s working window that opens, it is necessary to activate the icon in the form of a wrench (lower part of the interface, on the right).
- In the case when sound is not reproduced, it is necessary to change the circuit from one value to another (referring to the “AC’97 Front Panel” and the item of the same name located just below).
Video: How to Connect Sound on a Computer
Often, this particular change allows you to use the necessary audio channel.
Step number 7. Incomprehensible media format
There are frequent cases when it is impossible to play sound on a computer due to a missing audio codec. This difficulty can be easily fixed.
- Type K-Lite Codec Pack in the browser search bar.
- Then, from the list presented, select the official source of the product.
- Download and install the necessary software.
Typically, this action gives the PC an “omnivorous” multimedia ability. Be sure: your computer will not be an exception to the rule.
Step number 8. Software incidents
Step number 9. Look for the reason in BIOS
As you know, the BIOS firmware controls and monitors the operation of the entire hardware of the computing device. So installing sound on a computer can be an impossible mission when the audio functionality is disabled in the BIOS for some reason. However, knowing the main rule when working with the base system: “Do not touch or change unknown values”, you will successfully cope with the task.
To check whether the audio function is enabled in BIOS, you must do the following:
- Log in to your PC’s Bios.
- Depending on the version of the BSVV, the location of the sound “switch” may vary. However the name "AUDIO" and meaning "Enabled / Disabled", or "On"are unchanging.
- Finding a tab with the Onboard Device Configuration option, or High Definition Audio, is not difficult. The main thing is to understand the seriousness of the enterprise and not make rash changes to the firmware. Since it is fraught.
Step number 10. System recovery
If, after all the manipulations, the question of how to install sound on the computer has remained unresolved, then it will be prudent to use the method presented below.
- Go to the Start menu.
- In the search bar, enter “recovery.”
- After the desired section is displayed at the top of the service window, press Enter.
- Select the required backup and confirm with the appropriate key.
After rebooting, the system will regain the ability to reproduce sound.
Step # 11. Damaged or missing OS files
Sometimes the question of how to make sound on a computer is decided by restoring lost entries in the system registry. Indeed, very often the user as a result of erroneous actions (usually this is in pursuit of free space on the hard drive) deletes important OS data. In the end, the inevitable happens. Windows loses its full functionality. However, not always the grief-user has the opportunity to roll back the system to its original state. By the way, the same well-known reason is to blame for everything. Saving space on the HDD, that is, there are simply no backup copies of the OS, since System Restore is deliberately disabled. Nevertheless, even in this situation, there is a way out.
- Press the Win and R keys simultaneously.
- In the Run menu, type cmd.Exe
- · In the command window, write sfc / scannow.
- Press Enter.
Corrupted data will be restored from the backup storage. It is likely that after rebooting the OS you will again hear a sound greeting.
Step number 12. Viral infection
Malicious code not only steals and destroys user data. A virus program, introduced into the environment of the operating system, can also be the reason that the sound on the computer is lost. In order to identify the pest, special software is required. Often the antivirus program traditionally used to protect is not quite enough. However, today on the Internet there are plenty of effective malware destroyers. Therefore, you should not have any special difficulties in the process of finding the necessary software.
In conclusion, a few recommendations
- To prevent sound problems on your PC, periodically check on the official website of your manufacturer (the manufacturer of the motherboard) whether the latest drivers have been released.
- By connecting audio playback devices to the system sockets of a PC, it will not be superfluous to understand in more detail the correctness of the involved connection scheme.
- Often motherboards have special pads that can be shorted with special jumpers in order to reassign the audio output. Therefore, it is worth referring to the documentation of the motherboard and study the problematic issue in more detail.
- If all the methods prove futile in terms of your expectations (which is unlikely to happen), seek specialized help.
How to connect sound on a computer? As you know, this is an incredibly large-scale issue. However, today you learned a lot of information about what needs to be done to “talk” to your electronic friend, and what you should be afraid of during its operation. All the best to you and a pleasant sound experience!
Sometimes it happens that when you turn on your favorite playlist or video clip on your computer, the speakers do not start playing sound.
There can be several reasons for this problem.
- Hardware problems with speakers
- Instructions for connecting and configuring
- Driver and setup
- How to enable sound in BIOS
From trivial (solved by two or three clicks of the mouse) to serious hardware (it is unlikely to be able to eliminate such problems without the help of a service center).
It doesn’t matter which PC you have. A computer or laptop. This article will help to understand the reasons for the disappearance of sound and in 99% of cases “make” the speakers play the album of your favorite band with their inherent power.
Hardware problems with speakers
Firstly, if the speakers are connected but there is no sound, you need to check if the output device is working.
Almost everyone has other devices that can play sound through external speakers: the first thing to do is to check if the speakers work at all.
If there are no problems with their power supply (this can be determined by paying attention to the working signal that lights up when they are turned on), but the sound from the phone or MP3 player did not play, then this may be due to wires broken or damaged by pets.
If sound from other devices is reproduced, then the problem lurks in the software part of the computer (unless the input for connecting external speakers was not “injured”).
Instructions for connecting and configuring
Own forgetfulness and carelessness are common causes of this problem. The most commonplace reason is the volume set to zero.
Pay attention to the notification area (it is located in the lower right part of the computer screen, in the corner where the clock and icons of programs running in minimized mode are located)
There you will see a volume icon. Is it turned on to the limit?
If there is no such icon at all, then you need to restart the computer.
If this operation did not help, then:
- Go to the “Control Panel”;
- Find and open the item “Notification area icons” (if you don’t see such an item, you need to change the selected view mode to large, if necessary, small icons);
- In the window that opens, find the “Sound” item;
- Opposite the “Sound” check the box “Show notifications and icon”;
- Reboot the computer.
You can return the volume icon to the notification area.
Driver and setup
You reinstalled the operating system and simply forgot to install all the drivers that came with the computer. Or just accidentally deleted the sound driver and now you don’t know what to do.
Often a disk with them is attached to the sound card. If not, try downloading the appropriate driver on the Internet. You can download a universal driver for sound cards that fits any system.
To check if the drivers are working, follow the instructions:
- Go to “Start”, open the “Control Panel”;
- Find in the “Control Panel” the item “Device Manager”, click on it (if the item is absent. Change the viewing mode of the “Control Panel” in the described way);
- In the opened “Device Manager” open the minimized list “Video, sound and gaming devices”;
- Your sound card should be displayed in this list: click on it and go to the “Properties” tab;
- If you see a message that the driver needs to be updated / reinstalled, then, following the instructions of the “Device Manager”, you can return the sound to the computer.
If reinstalling all the necessary drivers did not help, then the problems are much more serious than it might seem at first glance.
How to enable sound in BIOS
It happens that manipulating the drivers for the sound card is powerless when you connect the sound. Try to configure it in the BIOS.
To get into the mysterious BIOS menu, you are required to restart the computer and immediately after turning it on, press one of the keys “F2”, “F12”, “DEL” or “F10”.
You will see a BIOS window in which you need to find the item “Device configuration”, then. “High Definition Audio”. There should be a switch in the “Enabled” position opposite this item. Here you can enable sound in the BIOS.
If it is in any other position. Switch to the desired one, exit the BIOS menu, saving the settings.
And this manipulation did not help, then your computer needs a specialist. Try to take it to a service center: this is due to damage to the hardware of the computer, which will be impossible to eliminate at home in the absence of the necessary software.