- Features of synchronization with modern TVs
- Connection via AV port
- How to connect via antenna cable
- Precautionary measures
Ways to connect Sega to a new TV are of interest to many fans of 16-bit games who do not want to part with their favorite heroes of past decades. True gamers today are ready to fight dragons and beat enemies in space on the console that they bought in their youth, only flat LED screens look a little like classic picture tubes.
About how to connect Sega to a new TV, set it up to work. Worth talking in more detail.
Features of synchronization with modern TVs
Connect Sega to a new Smart TV or even an inexpensive LED model without additional tricks will not work. Support for such devices is simply not provided here, since they work through an analog connection, while a digital signal is used in television technology. Of course, you can turn on the set-top box using the old kinescope TV, but there are much more interesting ways to solve the problem.
Among the main features of the connection of a modern digital television receiver with Sega, the following important points can be distinguished:
- Low resolution pictures. After connecting, there may be complete disappointment. It should be noted that the 320 × 224 picture will be broadcast in its natural quality, on TV with UHD, Full HD this will be especially noticeable. The picture will be very pixelated and fuzzy, on kinescope devices this feature will not be so noticeable. You can correct the problem if you set the minimum screen resolution in the TV settings.
- The light gun will not work. Shooting games, so beloved by fans of eight-bit consoles, will have to be put aside. This is due to the fact that the LCD screen does not give a sharp change in dark and light spots, respectively, the sensitivity of the photocell in the gun is not enough. In addition, the picture in digital TVs has a certain signal delay, which is absent in the picture tube models.
- When connected via component input, the image is black and white. The problem is solved by switching the equipment to an analog signal. This is done with the remote, in a few touches. After that, the picture will be color, not black and white.
- Samsung TVs do not have AV connection through the white and yellow outputs. The connection here is through the yellow-green connectors, with the optional installation of the adapter on the SCART.
- LG TVs have problems connecting via AV. But there is the possibility of using a amplifier.
These are the main features that should be taken into account when synchronizing a signal from a 16-bit Sega console to a TV that receives a digital signal, or a plasma panel.
Connection via AV port
Even a TV designed for digital signal reception has analog connectors in its configuration. In addition to the set-top box, in turn, an AV wire with “tulip” plugs is included for transmitting an audio signal and broadcasting a picture from the set-top box. An AV input may be present in the TV case. It is located on the side or on the back of the case, indicated by INPUT. Such a unit looks like colored connectors in a row, among which are white and yellow. It is on this basis that plugs are also connected in the future. It is rather difficult to mix them up.
The procedure for connecting via an AV cable looks like this:
- The power supply unit of the Sega console is plugged into the network, the wire from it with the plug must be connected to the connector on the console. It is located on the back of the case. Before connecting to the network, make sure that the power button is not pressed, is in the off position.
- Connect the AV cable to the connectors, first on the console, then on the TV. To broadcast sound in mono mode, you only need a white plug, yellow is responsible for transmitting images on a channel.
- Turn on the game console and TV, You need to wait for the devices to load and make sure that the game cartridge is inserted correctly.
- On the remote, you should enable the signal reception mode for AV / AV1. Modern TVs allow you to do this in 1 touch.
- You can connect a joystick with the Start button to the left output of the console. It is the main one, used to make selections on menu items.
- Start the game, make sure that the sound and picture are transmitted correctly. If there is no image, you can try searching the channels to find out what is receiving the signal from the Sega.
Such a module has 5 or more consecutive connectors. Here you need to find the jack marked Y, where the yellow plug is inserted to transmit the signal, and L to transmit sound from the console. On the Sega case, the cable is connected to similar connectors. White in audio, yellow in input.
SCART is a contact group in which there are already all the components for receiving an audio or signal. You can also connect a Sega prefix to it, but you will need an adapter. It is inserted directly into the SCART connector and used as a splitter to connect an external analog device. Look for the desired jack on the back of the TV panel.
It is possible to determine by which circuit it will be possible to connect via an AV cable only by trial and error.. Manufacturers of different brands of modern television equipment do not seek to make life easier for users. The algorithms they use to switch between inputs can vary significantly, and it’s unlikely that you can immediately determine the appropriate option.
How to connect via antenna cable
Even if there is no AV cable, you can find other ways to connect. It is enough to act according to the following scheme:
- Find Sega outputs for audio and.
- Insert the supplied modulator into it, from which the coaxial cable leaves.
- Pull the antenna wire from Sega to the TV, insert it into the corresponding socket.
- Turn on the console, insert the cartridge into it.
On the TV, you need to switch to auto-search programs. In manual mode, you can find the desired frequencies between the broadcast channels of TNT and STS. If you find the one that broadcasts the signal from Sega, you can start the game.
This method looks simpler. It is similar to the one that was used when working with analog kinescope type televisions.
When using the SEGA set-top box for playing with broadcasting pictures on a modern digital TV, certain precautions should be taken:
- Avoid switching cords or replacing a cartridge without turning off the power. Before any manipulations with it, the game console must be de-energized.
- Upon completion of the game, do not leave the cartridge in the slot. Carelessness in this matter can lead to failure of the structural elements of the equipment.
- Take care of cables and wires. This is the weakest point of Sega game consoles. Finding an authentic joystick or power supply, especially for older consoles 30 years ago, can be very difficult.
- Eliminate negative thermal and mechanical effects. The prefix should be installed so that it is not next to the heating battery or in direct sunlight, keep away from water.
If the game 16-bit console has not been used for a long time, dusting on a shelf, in order to avoid a short circuit, it is recommended to thoroughly clean it from dust inside the case. If the wires and cables of the accessories are damaged, they must be replaced. Optimally, if you run games not using rare equipment from the early 90s of the XX century, but its more modern versions.
In more detail, one of the above methods of connecting Sega to a modern TV is discussed in the following.
The development of computer technology has affected not only the technical parameters of hardware, but software has undergone significant changes. If you compare with what was on the SEGA, Dandy game consoles at the end of the last and the beginning of this century, now completely different pictures have appeared on the screens. The evolution of software has radically changed the external and internal world of computer games. The graphics have improved, the functionality has increased, and productivity has increased. But real gamers know how it all began, and those clumsy, at first glance, modern-day toys users evoke more emotions than the most advanced gaming software.
Connecting Sega to a modern TV
Sometimes, looking at the same type of modern computer games, there is an irresistible desire to get the SEGA console and try something new, or rather, remember the old one. Only if you try to connect to a modern TV, then be prepared for disappointment. Plasma, LCD, LEDs are not designed for old Segi, Dandy and Play Station.
Now all television equipment works with a digital signal, and the main working connectors have an appropriate form and purpose. At the same time, on old consoles, such as SEGA Mega Drive 2, there is no digital connection type. They provide wires and connectors for analog connection only. Therefore, in order to remember the past and plunge into the worlds of Super Mario, Mortal Combat and other classic games, you need to act on proven methods.
Connect Using an AV Cable
There are analog connectors on all modern TVs, you just need to know where to look and how to connect. Also included in the set-top box SEGA Mega Drive 2 is a wire called “tulips”, through which the connection is made. There are several options:
- AV input. There are no problems. Usually this type of connection is located on the side of the TV, but can be located on the back and is indicated by INPUT. In any case, it can be recognized by 3 characteristic connectors. Yellow, red, white, as in Figure 1. You need to connect based on the color and purpose of the connectors. Yellow contacts are used for transmission, and white for audio in mono mode. It is possible to turn on stereo audio, but for this you will need another plug, which is inserted into the red socket and is responsible for the right channel of the stereo, in which case the white contact group acts as the left channel.
- Component TV input. Many TVs come with home theater connectors called AV IN / CPONENT IN. There are usually 5 of them, as in Figure 2, but in some cases a larger number is provided depending on the modification of the TV. Do not understand the nuances of each component. To connect Sega, it’s enough to find the input, designated as “Y”. A yellow plug is inserted into it, and an audio input L under the white plug.
- SCART input. This convenient contact group combines all the and audio inputs and outputs in one connector, but for such a connection you need an adapter, as in Figure 3. It connects to SEGA according to the same principle as in the case of the AV input. The adapter is simply inserted into the SCART connector, which is usually located on the back of the TV;
Antenna cable connection
Do not despair if the AV wire is broken or lost. In this case, the set-top box can be connected to the TV using an antenna cable. To do this, you need a modulator plug in the AV output located on the SEGA. Then connect the modulator to the TV using the antenna cable, as in diagram 1.
After all the wires are connected in places, you need to turn on the set-top box and start the auto search on the TV to find the channel that broadcasts from SEGA. After completing the settings, proceed to the game.
We connect Sega to the computer monitor
To enjoy the good old games, it is not necessary to connect the console to the TV, you can use a monitor for these purposes. To bring this idea to life, you will need a adapter or TV tuner. You can use the built-in device integrated into the computer, but preferably portable, transmitting the signal through the HDMI jack.
To start new equipment, you need to install drivers and configure new computer software. For the convenience of operating the set-top box via a TV tuner, it is recommended to install a special AverTV program. After completing all the settings, connect the SEGA tuner or adapter in the same way as described in the “Connecting Using an AV Cable” section, and start your favorite games.