How to Connect Mobile to Computer
Computers and mobile gadgets that belong to the same person, family, or team are a single information environment. Ideally, it provides not only the availability of the entire data array from each device included in its composition, but also provides the ability to control some devices using others.
How to connect the phone to a computer in order to access information, control or certain functions of another device, for example, use it as a webcam, microphone, flash drive, monitor?
Methods for physically connecting your phone to a PC
To establish a physical connection between the phone and the computer, use 3 interfaces:
- USB. Connecting via USB cable is the easiest and most obvious option. To access user files stored on a smartphone, as a rule, no settings are needed: usually it appears in Windows Explorer right after the connection. Simple push-button phones sometimes require the installation of special software and drivers.
- Bluetooth. For this type of connection, it is imperative that both devices have Bluetooth adapters. On phones and laptops, they are by default, but for desktop PCs they have to be purchased separately. When connected via Bluetooth, the PC user has access to folders and some functions of the mobile gadget.
- Wifi. Normal network connection over the air. A computer and a smartphone can interact as equal members of the same local network, as a server and client, as well as an access point and a client device.
How to connect your phone to a computer via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
Connecting devices via USB cable is rarely difficult for anyone, so we will not dwell on it. Let’s consider the methods of wireless connection.
To establish a connection, make sure that Bluetooth adapters are enabled on the computer and phone. On Windows 10, this option is enabled in the “Settings”. “Devices” application, on Android smartphones. In the quick access panel.
Click the Add Bluetooth or Another Device button below.
In the next window, select the connection type. Bluetooth.
Click your phone in the list of discovered devices. Verify the digital code that appears below in this window and on the phone screen. If the code matches, click “Connect.”
To access the functions of the mobile gadget, slide the “Bluetooth and other devices” window down to the “Related Settings” section and click “Devices and Printers”.
Find the phone among the connected devices and right-click on it. The context menu shows the options for using it that Windows provides.
In my example, there are practically none, and in order for the computer to interact with the phone, for example, as with a USB flash drive or as a web camera, you will have to install a third-party application, such as MyPhoneExplorer.
The most common way that a PC and mobile phone interacts via Wi-Fi is to use one of the devices as an Internet access point for another. As an access point, they often use a smartphone connected to the World Wide Web via a 3G / 4G network of a mobile operator.
Setting up such a connection is very simple:
- We go into the settings for managing wireless networks and turn on the modem mode.
- In the modem mode options, select “Wi-Fi hotspot”. In the next section, we determine the settings of the access point. In most cases, it is enough to set a password for the connection, the rest is optimal by default.
After that, you can connect a computer to the access point.
The reverse way of connecting a smartphone and a PC is also possible. When the access point is launched on the computer. The function is supported by all editions of the system, starting with Windows 7 (except for the starting and home base editions).
Video: How to Connect Mobile to Computer
Creating a virtual access point in Windows is also not difficult. Windows 10 has the Mobile Hotspot feature, which is launched through the Settings. Network and Internet. Just move the slider to the “on” position and the access point is started. Of course, for the phone to get Internet access through it, the computer must be connected to it itself.
In addition, permissions must be set in the properties of the Internet connection on the PC, as shown in the screenshot below. From the “Connecting a home network” list, select a wireless connection.
A similar function is also available on Mac OS X. There it is configured through “Sharing”. “Shared Internet”. For computers using Wi-Fi. The access point name and password are set in the “Wi-Fi Settings”.
Most modern smartphones and computers (equipped with wireless adapters) support Wi-Fi data transfer technology. In particular, WIFI Direct and Miracast. Both standards use direct connection of devices to each other, that is, not through a router.
Wi-Fi Direct multimedia wireless transmission technology is implemented on the vast majority of smartphones of popular brands and models. Xiaomi Redmi 4 pro, Xiaomi Redmi 4X, Samsung Galaxy, ZTE Blade, ASUS, Lenovo, etc. The function is included in the advanced Wi-Fi network settings section.Fi:
After activating Wi-Fi Direct, the phone starts searching for devices that support this feature and are located close to it. When a suitable device is found, to start the transfer, just select it from the list.
To enable Wi-Fi Direct on your computer, network discovery and file and printer sharing must be enabled. The network profile must be private.
In addition, the streaming media function must be active on the PC (the easiest way to open this window is through a system search):
And permission is included to access shared multimedia files for the selected mobile device:
To display a photo or video on the phone screen or use it as a column for playing music, just open the file’s context menu on the PC, click on the “Transfer to device” option and specify which one.
Miracast technology, unlike Wi-Fi Direct, allows you to display on the display of another device not only multimedia, but any content. To connect the phone screen to a computer and vice versa, make the following settings:
- On an Android smartphone: open the “Settings” application, go to the “Screen” section and select “Wireless Monitor”. To see the phone screen on a computer, select a compatible PC from the list that will be the signal receiver. If you want to display a picture from the computer screen on the phone, enable the “Used by others” function.
- On the computer: open the Notification Center in the system tray and click on the “Connect” tile. Next, select a mobile device from the “Connect” list. If both devices support Miracast technology, the phone will connect to the computer monitor, more precisely, it will perform the monitor function itself.
Programs for synchronizing your phone and computer
The possibilities of Wi-Fi Direct and Miracast technologies are far from unlimited and provide access to only a small fraction of the functions of the connected device. It is impossible to fully control the phone using a computer. But no one does this, since there are special applications for such tasks.
The bulk of programs for synchronizing data and managing a mobile gadget using a PC are produced by phone manufacturers. Therefore, such programs supports only one specific brand, for example:
- Samsung PC Studio
- Samsung Kies
- Nokia Suite
- HiSuite by Huawey
- Mi PC Suite (Xiaomi)
- HTC Sync Manager
- Xperia Companion (Sony)
- Nokia MobiMB Mobile Media Browser
- Sony Ericsson PC Suite
- Siemens Mobile Phone Manager
- BlackBerry Desktop Software
- Apple iTunes
- Apple iDevice Manager
But there are universal tools that are compatible with many models of Android devices. Among them:
- Mentioned above MyPhoneExplorer (in the screenshot below)
- Android Screencast
- MOBILedit! Lite (paid)
- AirDroid etc.
In addition, for such tasks, you can use any supported remote access tools, such as Teamviewer.
Special attention deserves the Android Screencast program. It is unique in that it does not require the installation of a client module on a mobile device, therefore it can be used even if the screen does not work on the phone. The only condition is that the USB debugging feature is enabled.
Access to data on smartphones with a broken or idle screen is provided by proprietary utilities of the manufacturers listed above. The main thing is to have time to install the utility before the incident happened and conduct at least one synchronization. If the sensor does not work on the phone, most likely some functions will not be available.
Is it possible to save data using these programs if the phone does not turn on? Generally not. The phone may not work for many reasons, and failure to load the operating system is just one of them. To extract information from faulty devices use programmers and special service software, which is not in the public domain. In addition, special tools are needed to work with such tools. In a word, if your phone does not turn on, you can try to reflash it, but to save data it is easier and safer to contact a mobile service.