How to Connect Mi Box S to TV
TV box operating system Android TV 8.1 is an excellent alternative to the built-in Smart TV and can significantly expand the functionality of the TV, turning it into a real home multimedia center with the ability to work on the Internet. One of the best implementations of Smart TV set-top boxes is Xiaomi Mi TV Box S (this is the international version of Mi Box 4).
The 2018 box with support for Android TV, voice control and the ability to play 4K HDR is characterized by high performance. The device works on a 4-core processor, in the presence of 2 GB of RAM and 8 GB of internal memory, this is enough to perform the tasks for which the equipment is designed.
The Xiaomi Mi Box S prefix, besides watching TV, makes it possible to work with various applications and network resources, and allows, including playing, for which many people need a prefix. The interface, services, software, management, etc. in the Android TV OS are sharpened for use on televisions, for this reason this model of device attracted many. At the same time, in order to use the capabilities of Smart consoles in full, it is important to configure it correctly.
How to connect to a TV
The Xiaomi Mi Box S media player is equipped with a control panel, power adapter and HDMI cable. The instruction manual with illustrations is also included with the device, but it does not have explanations in Russian, so many will need additional guidance on connecting and configuring the set-top box.
The set-top box is connected to the television via an HDMI cable, the corresponding connector must be present on the TV. If the device does not have an HDMI port, you must take care of purchasing an HDMI-AV converter in advance (the device is not provided for this model of media player).
Let’s take a step-by-step look at how to connect the Mi Box S to a TV:
- Both devices must be de-energized (remove all plugs from outlets).
- Connect the coaxial cable supplied with the Mi Box S Smart Set-top Box. We insert one end of the cord into the appropriate port on the media player, and the other into the HDMI connector on the TV.
- In the case when the television set is old and does not have an HDMI connector, you can use the HDMI-AV converter. Then with the help of “tulips” we connect the adapter, then we connect the prefix using the HDMI cable.
- Turn on both devices. A welcome screen will appear on the screen.
For the equipment to function, it is necessary to ensure communication not only between the media player and the TV, you should also provide the console with access to the network using a wired or wireless connection method (this model does not have a LAN connector, but if you wish, you can connect via cable using a USB-LAN adapter ) For the remote control, you need to purchase batteries or rechargeable batteries, since a remote control device will be required during the work.
Full customization of Mi Box
Setting up Xiaomi Mi Box is easy. Following the instructions, even an inexperienced user can perform the procedure. A prerequisite is to pre-connect the set-top box to the TV and organize a stable connection to the Internet. You will also need a Google account to set up your device. If not, you will need to create one.
A complete setup of Xiaomi Mi Box S involves the following steps:
- After turning on the smart box from the remote control, a welcome message will appear on the screen.
- Choose a language from the list of available languages, in the global version there is Russian.
- The system will offer options for performing the settings. you can use a mobile device based on Android or a standard remote control.
- In the first case, the devices are synchronized using the verification code, after which the prefix will automatically copy the accounts and connect to the Internet, then, if everything went well, the Android launcher main menu will open.
When choosing the second option, the Xiaomi Mi Box S set-top box will be configured in manual mode, but it does not differ in complexity either.
- To configure over the network, select your Wi-fi connection and enter the password.
- We give the name to the prefix, after which it will be suggested to install some applications, mark if any of the list are needed.
- At the end, the system will notify the user of the proposed features, including the availability of Chromecast (thanks to technology, you can broadcast content from smartphones, tablets or laptops to a TV).
- The main menu of the Android launcher will open, where a selection of content from different applications will be available.
The Android TV operating system installed on the device is sharpened for television and controls the remote control, as well as voice (voice search works on all applications).
Among the preinstalled software there is the only useful tool. Play Market. The application store, by the way, is also different from the usual Play Market for Android, here are programs optimized for Android TV. Not in abundance, of course, but in sufficient quantities.
How to install applications
Installing programs is performed as standard. go to the Play Market and enter the name of the desired software in the search bar using the virtual keyboard or using the voice assistant (launched from the on-screen menu or from the button on the remote control). Then everything is done according to the old scheme: we select the desired one from the list of applications in the results and click “Install”.
You can manage to download the APK file to your computer and send it to Google Drive, then copy it from there to the console and install it. Alternatively, you can also use a USB flash drive to transfer data. Of course, in order not to bother like that every time you need software that is not in the Play Market and to fully use Xiaomi Mi Box S, you need to install a browser.
How to Install Aptoide TV Browser
The need to install Aptoide is due to the fact that through it you can then easily install programs that you will not find on the Play Market for the console. Installing the Aptoide TV browser on Mi Box S involves downloading software to a USB flash drive, which you then need to insert into the TV box, then open and run the application. With it, you can watch movies in HD and other content for free.
Detailed instructions for installing Aptoide TV on the Xiaomi Mi Box S media player:
- Pre-install the X-plore File Manager (a program for reading “.apk” files).
- From the settings menu we go to the “Security”. “Limitations” section.
- In the subsection of unknown sources we find the installed software by its name, check the box opposite.
- Download Aptoide, drop it onto a USB drive.
- We insert the flash drive into the box, open the file manager and start the installation, agreeing to the link.
Usually, problems with installing a browser do not arise, but in some cases, the system may not see the external drive or freeze, which may be due to a lack of memory on the device. Free up space by deleting unnecessary data.
IPTV Setup Features
To watch interactive TV in live mode, you will also need to install the appropriate software that supports the playlist format. IPTV Pro, Lazy IPTV, Peers.TV. You can do this using the Aptoide functionality.
Downloading and installing any of the programs is standard, no additional settings are required. It remains to load the appropriate playlist into the application by specifying the URL of the list of TV channels or by opening a file previously downloaded to the device (usually in M3U format, but the file may have another extension, most importantly, the format is supported). In addition, embedded channels are available in applications.