How to connect Android to a laptop
Taking pictures, installing applications, downloading music, recording movies. These actions effectively use the memory of android phones.
To increase the capabilities of a smartphone, it’s nice to transfer personal data to a computer or laptop. The easiest and fastest way to connect an android phone to a laptop via usb.
Such archiving, of course, will contribute to the security of your files (as a backup) and allow you to use the memory of your phone almost unlimitedly.
I prepared a guide in three steps on how to connect the phone to a laptop or computer. Where to begin?
Connecting your phone to your computer via usb step by step
Each phone, such as Samsung, Fly, Sony or any Chinese can be connected to a computer.
Most of the phones currently manufactured were equipped with a Micro-B or USB-C type USB connector.
The main reason is the international standards that have forced manufacturers to standardize the charging outlet, which also acts as a communication port.
To connect a connection to a laptop or computer, we need a signal cable with a USB Type A connector that goes through the previously mentioned Micro-B type.
Step 1. Connect the android phone via USB to a laptop or computer
We connect the smartphone to the computer using the cable described above. Windows should automatically detect new hardware and install the most necessary drivers.
Problems may appear, for example with Windows XP. Then it is best to upgrade it to windows 7 or windows 10.
If the desire or opportunity is not updated, then you need to download the protocol on the Microsoft website. Media Transfer Protocol.
However, it is even easier and faster than updating the system, which today will not be free (if you do not know how to activate).
Step 2. Connect the android phone via USB to a laptop or computer
You should see a hint in the status bar of the smartphone (at the very top) and see a request for trust.
This availability means the successful completion of the process of synchronizing the phone with a laptop or computer.
After clicking on it, we proceed to configure the connection. To do this, pull the panel from top to bottom.
Choosing the right communication protocol is critical when accessing certain types of files and supported software.
- MTP. Gives access to multimedia files
- PTP. Sees a smartphone as a camera.
Note. DO NOT delete important Android system files located in directories with the word “Android”. All our data can be found in several folders listed below:
- Music is a music folder.
- Download. Files downloaded to the smartphone from the Internet
- DCIM or Pictures. Photos and videos shot with the built-in camera
Step 3. Connect the android phone via USB to a laptop or computer
To display your phone, start My computer. Among the discs you should see it.
When you click on the icon with the name of the smartphone, all types of memory that have been installed will be displayed: phone memory and memory card.
Moving files is very simple. They are supported in the same form as any other operations on a computer / laptop. We enter the directory of interest to us and make changes.
Should I look for proprietary software designed to control a smartphone, such as Kies from Samsung? Yes and no.
On the one hand, the whole procedure becomes even simpler. Connect the phone and select the appropriate option in the program.
However, this type of software unnecessarily loads the resources of a computer system that constantly work in the background.
In my opinion, the three points above are the most effective form of working with files on your device.
Computer or laptop does not connect to the phone. No problem
If the computer has a problem with the correct detection of your phone, several factors may become the “culprit”.
First, we check if the cable to which we connected the device is damaged. It often happens that a conductor may look functionally from the outside, but does not retain its properties due to interruption of the internal transmission conductors.
After connecting to a laptop / computer, the phone sometimes automatically sets the “charging” mode.
Let’s check this by pulling the top bar. Using “Charge this phone” switch to “Download files”.
It may happen that after connecting the cable in the top panel, it will be impossible to switch from charging to file transfer.
Access to the above parameters is also possible through the service code: # 0808 #. On the smartphone connected to your laptop or computer, select the “MTP ADB” option.
This means that we configured the phone in connection with the “Media Transfer Protocol” driver and “Android Debug Bridge” (the interface used to communicate and control the Android device).
In order for the smartphone to be connected, you need the appropriate drivers. In most cases, Windows itself detects the phone and installs the desired package.
If this is not so, then I recommend downloading software that allows you to back up your data and at the same time install the appropriate drivers (which depends on the phone model).
If the computer still does not see the phone, you may need to enable debugging via USB.
This is a mode designed for programmers, which allows you to control the device from the console. Very often, Windows recognizes a phone connected in this mode.
Then we reboot the PC and the smartphone. In the end, it is worth checking whether your smartphone is updated to the latest (available for this model) version.
I know from experience that 80% of cases are associated with a damaged USB cable. There are 4 wires in a braid: two of them are responsible for data transfer, one charge and the last GND (mass).
Despite properly charging the phone, the data transfer function may be damaged.
At this point, I would like to mention that it is also worth checking out another USB port and I recommend connecting the phone to the back of the computer case. The way to enable debugging mode is this.
Click on the “Version Number” in the “About Phone” section.> “Information about the software” until the message “You have become a programmer (or developer)” appears.
On the main tab “Settings”, the tab “Parameters of the programmer (or developer)” appears at the bottom, and select “USB Debugging” on the tab.
Video: How to connect Android to a laptop
After the procedure, I recommend disabling debug mode and developer options by clicking on the tab shift at the top of the menu.
In a situation where, despite using the above instructions, the phone still does not connect to the computer, this means
- USB port hardware error. The slot on the device may be dirty.
- Errors in the Android software. I recommend that you back up and restore the factory settings.
- Incorrect operation of Windows. It is worth checking the connection to another computer / laptop.
In conclusion, I recommend that you discuss the problem. Maybe you have other ideas on how to reconnect your phone to a laptop or computer. Successes.
Nowadays, connecting mobile devices to each other wirelessly is becoming more and more popular. This is primarily convenient because you do not have to carry wires in case you need to connect your Android smartphone with a laptop. In this article, we’ll show you how to connect Android to your laptop via Wi-Fi and vice versa, depending on your specific purpose.
Types of connection
Phone to computer
Next, we present several examples of connecting a smartphone to a computer, depending on the current task.
Consider the option when your laptop is connected to the Internet through a cord, and not through a router. In this case, it is possible to distribute the Internet to the smartphone via Wi-Fi, and the laptop will act as a router. You can do this in several ways, but we will describe the most universal method that you can use on Windows from version 7 to 10.
To implement this method, you will need the My Public Wi-Fi program, which can be downloaded at this address.
- Install the program on your PC.
- Run it as administrator.
- By default, the program already has the necessary settings, namely: the specified network name, password and source with the Internet. To create an access point, you just need to click on the button at the bottom of “Setup and Start Hotspot”.
- Turn on your smartphone search for Wi-Fi networks and connect to the desired one.
There is another option, how to connect Android to a laptop via Wi-Fi. In this case, it is necessary that both devices are on the same network, being connected to the same router or in the manner described above. Next, you need to install ES-Explorer from Google Play on your phone.
- On the computer, press the [Win] [R] button combination and in the window that appears, write: CMD.
- In the console that opens, type ipconfig and press the enter [Enter] button.
- After the command, information about the network of your computer appears, find the lines “IPv4 Address” and “Main Gateway” and remember them.
- On your smartphone, open the explorer, which you downloaded from the link above.
- Swipe right and select “Network”.
- Next, click on “Lan.”
- In the window that opens, select the “Create” command and fill in the following values:
- Domain: Write the address of the main gateway.
- Server: in this field you need to enter the address that you remembered in the line “IPv4 address” on the computer.
- Check the box next to “Anonymous.”
- Click “OK”, and then connect to your laptop.
Computer to Android
Now consider how to connect a laptop to Wi Fi for Android, again, depending on the need.
We distribute the Internet
If you want to use your phone as an access point for a computer, follow these steps on your phone.
Note: a SIM card with access to mobile Internet must be inserted in your mobile device.
- Go to settings.
- Tap on “Modem Mode”.
- If desired, you can configure the network name and password by first selecting “Configure Access Point”.
- To start distributing the network, activate the switch opposite the “Access Point”.
- On the computer, scan the networks and connect to the one you created.
Access to files and calls
We’ll also explain how to connect a laptop to Android via Wi-Fi to manage files. For full access to phone files, as well as messages and call logs, you need help from My Phone Explorer. It is also necessary that both devices are on the same network.
- Download and install the program for Windows and for Android.
- Launch the client version on the smartphone.
- Next, start the server part on the laptop and press the [F1] button to search for devices. If both devices are on the same network, your laptop will find a smartphone and offer to come up with a name for it.
- Upon completion of the connection, you will have access to both the file system of the smartphone and other information about its status.
We told you about the simplest ways to interact with a computer and a mobile device over a wireless network. We hope that at least one of the ways is useful to you.
How to connect Android to a computer via Wi-Fi: Video
I have experience in the IT field for more than 10 years. I am engaged in the design and adjustment of commissioning. There is also extensive experience in building networks, system administration and working with access control systems and video surveillance.
I work as a specialist in the Techno-Master company.
Now I will teach you how to connect an Android phone via USB to a computer as a drive and thus enable data transfer and transfer information without using a flash drive. Very comfortably.
P, blockquote 1,0,0,0,0.->
This article is suitable for all brands producing phones on Android 10/9/8/7: Samsung, HTC, Lenovo, LG, Sony, ZTE, Huawei, Meizu, Fly, Alcatel, Xiaomi, Nokia and others. We are not responsible for your actions.
P, blockquote 2.0,0,0,0.->
Attention! You can ask your question to the specialist at the end of the article.
P, blockquote 3,0,1,0,0.->
- What is the MTP mode and where did the USB mode go
- Setting up the phone to PC via USB
- USB Drive Connection
What is the MTP mode and where did the USB mode go
Prior to Android 4.4 KitKat, it was possible to establish a USB connection as a USB flash drive. The PC saw the device as a removable disk and granted the same rights: the user could transfer files, format the drive and perform other actions.
P, blockquote 4.0,0,0,0.->
Then, in new versions of Android, the USB mode was replaced by MTP, in which only the data transfer function remained, and the same formatting did not work.
P, blockquote 5,0,0,0,0.->
Setting up the phone to PC via USB
To control the connection to the computer via USB, you must enable debugging. To do this, add the section “For Developers” to the Android settings (if it is not):
P, blockquote 6.0,0,0,0.->
- Open the settings.
- Go to the “About phone” or “About device” section.
- Find “Build Number” or “MIUI Version”.
- Press (click) on this item until you see a message that you have become a developer (usually 7-10 clicks are enough).
Click to enlarge
After the section for developers appears in the settings, you can enable USB debugging. The item is called so, so you only need to move the slider to the “On” position and confirm the permission.
P, blockquote 8,0,0,0,0.-> Click to enlarge
Now you can connect the device to the computer via USB and select the operating mode. In the latest versions of Android, the most used are:
P, blockquote 9,0,0,0,0.->
- MTP. Transfer any files from a computer to a phone and vice versa.
- PTP. Transfer photos, as well as transfer files that are not supported in MTP mode.
- Only charging.
You can save any method or choose a different connection mode each time. When debugging is on, the computer will see the phone in any case.
P, blockquote 10,0,0,0,0.->
USB Drive Connection
If you cannot get used to working with a media player, return to using USB storage mode. For this you need:
P, blockquote 12,0,0,0,0.->
- Root rights on Android.
- Installed USB MASS STORAGE Enabler.
Using this method can damage system files. In this case, you will have to reflash Android.
P, blockquote 13,0,0,0,0.->
For Android to connect to the computer as a drive:
P, blockquote 14,0,0,0,0.->
- Launch USB MASS STORAGE Enabler.
- Grant superuser rights and agree to a change in Selinux.
- If the device is supported, the main application menu opens.
- Click Enable USB MASS STORAGE.
Increase p, blockquote 15,0,0,0,1.->
Now when connected to a PC, the phone or tablet will appear as a drive. To connect in MTP or PTP mode, just restart the device. After completing the drive mode, go back to the application and disconnect the USB MASS STORAGE.