How to Connect AirPods Headphones to an iPhone
To connect Apple AirPods wireless headphones to your smartphone, you no longer need to perform the traditional pairing procedure via Bluetooth.
How to connect AirPods wireless headphones to iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch
In the case of AirPods, it’s enough to open the charging case with the “drops” lying in it in front of the unlocked device.
Compatible AirPods 1st Generation Headphone Devices:
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch with iOS 10 or later installed;
- Apple Watch with watchOS 3 or later installed;
- Mac with macOS Sierra or newer installed.
Compatible AirPods 2 Generation Headphone Devices:
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 12.2 or later installed;
- Apple Watch with watchOS 5.2 or later installed;
- Apple TV with tvOS 12.2 or later installed;
- Mac with macOS Sierra 10.14.4 or later installed.
The setup interface will appear on the device screen. Choose “To plug" and press "Done". When you connect your AirPods 2 headphones, the function setup wizard also opens. "Hi Siri" (if you have not done this on the iPhone before).
If the device is logged into iCloud, then the AirPods headphones will automatically be configured using any of the compatible devices tied to iCloud using a similar Apple ID account.
How to choose a music source
Apple AirPods Wireless Headphones can simultaneously connect to iPhone and Apple Watch. In this case, the sound will switch between devices automatically.
You can select source for music playback (for example, AirPods, iPhone or Apple TV built-in speakers) by following these steps.
On iPhone or iPad
- Open Control Center.
- Press and hold your finger on the music player card in the upper right corner of the Control Center until the audio settings appear.
- Click on the AirPlay icon and select the desired device from the list of available.
- Click the volume control icon in the menu bar and select AirPods or other speakers in the “Output device” section.
NOTE. The AirPods will only appear in the Control Center and the Mac menu if they are ready to use and within reach.
In case AirPods are not displayed on Mac, you need to create a pair between them. For this:
1. On a Mac, open "System Settings" and go to the Bluetooth section.
2. Turn on Bluetooth if it is on.
3. Place both AirPods in the charging case and open the cover.
4. Press and hold the setting button on the back of the case until the status indicator lights up in white.
5. Select the identified AirPods in the list of available devices and press the button "To plug".
If, in this case, sound is still played through the Mac’s built-in speakers, click the volume control icon in the menu bar and select AirPods.
How to connect AirPods wireless headphones to an Android device
After the release of AirPods, many decided for some reason that they should not be used on non-Apple devices. This, of course, is nonsense: at its core, AirPods are albeit advanced, but still Bluetooth headphones. However, in this case you will have to come to terms with the restrictions. you cannot use Siri, but you can listen and talk.
To set up your AirPods headphone on Android, follow these steps:
1. Turn on Bluetooth on your Android device.
2. Put your AirPods in a charging case.
3. Open the cover.
4. Press and hold the setting button until the status indicator lights up in white.
5. Pair your AirPods with your device by selecting them from the list of Bluetooth devices.
AirPods earphones not connected, what to do
If, when you try to connect AirPods headphones using an iOS device, the setup interface does not appear:
1. Make sure your devices have a compatible software version (iOS, macOS, etc.). System requirements are indicated at the beginning of the article.
2. Ensure that the AirPods are near the device and are charged.
3. Close the headphone case, wait 10-15 seconds, and then open it again. The indicator on the charging case should start blinking white.
4. If the indicator does not blink, try to press and hold the setting button on the back of the case for several seconds until the indicator starts to blink.
5. If you were unable to configure your AirPods headphones during the above steps, press and hold the setting button for 20 seconds until the flashing yellow light appears on the indicator and repeat the steps above.