How to Connect a Tablet to the Internet Through a Computer
The article will discuss the use of only Android devices as a computer modem. Read about connecting your computer to the Internet via a simple mobile phone.
Actually, the procedure for connecting directly to the Android tablet (smartphone) to the Internet will not be considered here either, since the solution to this issue, firstly, rarely causes any difficulties, and secondly, it is described in detail on the website of each mobile operator.
If your smartphone (tablet) is already connected to the Internet, you can go through it to the global network from a computer using one of the following methods.
1. Using an Android device as a Wi-Fi point
If a smartphone or tablet, as well as a computer (laptop) connected through it to the Internet, are equipped with Wi-Fi modules, you can turn an Android device into a Wi-Fi point.
You need to find the item “Wi-Fi hotspot” in the Android settings. The path to it depends on both the version of Android and its specific firmware. Find it is not difficult. Most often, you can go to this item in the smartphone (tablet) menu in one of the following ways:
Settings ⇒ Network ⇒ Modem and access points
Settings ⇒ Wireless ⇒ Modem Mode
Settings ⇒ System ⇒ Modem Mode
Settings ⇒ Wireless networks ⇒ ⇒ Modem mode.
If you click on the item “Wi-Fi hotspot”, a menu opens in which you need to click on “Access Point Setup” , in the corresponding fields indicate the name of the network (any), select the protection type “WPA2 PSK”, and also specify the password for access to the future Wi-Fi point. Then save your changes and turn on the Wi-Fi access point.
The procedure for connecting a computer to such a point is standard: start a search for available Wi-Fi networks on the computer, select the created point among the found ones and connect to it using the password specified in the Android settings.
2. Using an Android device as a USB modem
To implement this method, in addition to a smartphone or tablet, you will also need a cord that connects this device to the USB port of the computer.
The procedure is as follows:
1. Connect a smartphone or tablet to a computer using a cord;
2. On a smartphone (tablet), be sure to ignore the Android offer to connect the device to a computer as a USB drive. Then go to the Android settings, find the item “USB modem” and activate it. This item is usually located next to the item “Wi-Fi hotspot” (see the previous paragraph of this article);
3. After this, the installation of the driver of the detected modem will automatically start on the computer. The user will just need to answer a few questions (allow the computer to connect to the detected network, indicate the preferred type of network, etc.) and wait for the connection to complete. A message will appear on the computer’s Internet connection in the Windows notification area (in the lower right corner of the screen, near the clock).
If your computer uses an older version of Windows (Windows XP or earlier), most likely the modem driver will not automatically install. It will have to be previously found and downloaded from the website of the manufacturer of the smartphone (tablet), as well as independently installed on the computer.
The modem driver for a smartphone (tablet) can also be delivered on an optical disk, which is often included with a mobile device.
It is noteworthy that when using a smartphone or tablet as a USB modem, a computer can access the Internet not only through its 3G module. If the android device is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi, then the computer will use this connection. Thus, an Android smartphone or tablet can replace not only a 3G USB modem, but also a Wi-Fi USB adapter.