How to Connect a Router Via Phone
Now in many homes or at the workplace in the office there is a stationary computer. In this case, setting up a Wi-Fi router is quite simple and even an inexperienced user can handle this task. It is enough to install the router, connect it to power and the global network, configure the settings through the browser. And you can enjoy high-speed Internet.
But how to set up a router without a computer? You remember that the modern market for stationary PCs is increasingly competing with other devices: smartphones, tablets, laptops and even televisions. And an increasingly common situation is that we ended up without a computer and network cable at hand, but we want to configure the router ourselves for wireless access to the network.
So, today we pose the question. Is it possible to configure a router from a personal smartphone or tablet? Of course! You can configure from any of your devices that have the ability to connect to a Wi-Fi network. It is clear that you have it, since you decided to purchase and install this unit. A device that works both on the Android operating system and on iOS is suitable.
The whole process is identical to the setting from a personal computer. There are some nuances with direct connection. The main thing is that you need an Internet access point and good reliable equipment.
See the following video for instructions on setting up a router from a smartphone:
- Router Connection
- Network identification
- Setting up Wi-Fi connection
- Setting a password on a wireless network
- Password Replacement
- Setting up a router from TP-Link
Let’s get started on how to connect the router itself. First you need to connect it to the power supply, which is plugged into a 220V outlet. Then plug the Internet Ethernet cable from your ISP into the WAN port.
After connecting the external cable and power supply, we check the light indication on the router. If the indicators work, then we did everything right. If after turning on the device in the network the icons do not light up and everything is assembled correctly, we are looking for the power button on the device’s case, maybe it turns on in this way. If all the actions did not lead to a positive result, then most likely the equipment is faulty and will have to be sent to the service for repair.
Note that our network in the default version will be called standard (usually the name of the router itself).
There will be no password, the network will be accessible to everyone, which we will use to enter. If there are several such networks, then in order to determine which one to connect to, we use a simple method. We simply turn off the power on our device, and then turn it back on with the button or into a wall outlet. We see which network disappears for a while from our list of available connections. Now we will be confident in choosing our network.
Finally, we take a mobile device and read how to configure a router through a telephone. Please note that we work without a network cable, which is called a patch cord (it is needed to connect the router to a PC or laptop). We go into the search for a wireless network and click on the network of our access point in the list. Connection to it so far should be without a password. In rare cases, a code is required to enter the selected network. It is easy to find, since it is written on the back of the router.
Next, on your device, turn on any browser and in the address bar we write IP. By default, 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1 and proceed. The address of the device can usually be found on a glued label that hangs on the back cover.
Next, we get into the settings menu, or a window pops up asking you to enter your username and password. Usually, the username and password are standard. Admin and admin. We enter them and get into the web interface of the router. And then comes the usual setup.
It’s better to immediately configure the router so that it works correctly with any Internet provider, therefore, there were no issues when connecting to the network and gaining Wi-Fi access for your devices. To accomplish this task, we need to know several criteria that the Internet provider could tell us when signing documents to connect to the Internet service.
Firstly, you need to know by which technology the connection is made. We list the options:
- Static (static) IP,
- Dynamic IP
You also need to learn about binding using a unique identifier and ask to bind the port to the MAC address of your router. Data can be found on the sticker at the bottom of the router.
Setting up Wi-Fi connection
Now we’ll tell you how to configure Wi-Fi access on a router through a phone or tablet:
- Consider a bookmark called Wireless.
- In the field “Wireless_Network_Name” you need to name our new network. You can use the Latin alphabet and numbers for this.
- In the field “Region“ choose the country of residence.
- Next, click “Save.” Sometimes a notification window appears. We skip it by pressing the “OK” button.
Setting a password on a wireless network
Setting up Wi-Fi on the router requires a password. This must be done in any case, through the phone you are setting up a connection or from a PC.
- In the “Wireless” tab, select “Wireless_Security”“.
- We tick off the button “WPA / WPA-2”. “Personal (Recommended)”.
- In the field “PSK_Password“ you must enter a password. You invented it yourself and you need to remember it, because you will have to enter it every time you reconnect. It is important to observe the password requirements: more than 8 characters, use large and small letters of the Latin alphabet and numbers. If the password is complex, it is better to write it down. If it is lost, you will have to reset all equipment settings and start all over again.
It is better to change the default login and password for accessing the router interface (usually there is admin. Admin everywhere), because security is first of all, otherwise any stranger will be able to log in and change your settings to his advantage.
- Bookmark System_Tools. Password.
- First, enter the old username and password, which were the default, and then set new ones that are known only to you.
- We save the changes, and the system throws us a window in which it asks for your new data. We enter them and get into the settings menu, if everything was done correctly.
- It remains to restart the router. This action can be performed in the “System_Tools” section. Select the “Reboot” button and wait for the equipment to exit the reboot.
Setting up a router from TP-Link
Look at the Wi-Fi network setting on the router TP-Link through a special application on a smartphone:
So, we gave general information, now we will consider the issue on a specific model. We will tell you how to configure the TP-Link router through the phone.
- Open any browser on your phone or tablet and write the IP address of the device 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. We will find ourselves on the authorization page, where they enter the username / password (known to us admin / admin).
- Select the “Quick Setup” section (recommended for beginners). Click “Next.”
- In the next window, you can fill in all the lines, or check the box “I did not find the appropriate settings.”
- Now we need to choose the type of connection (we need to find out from the provider). We have the same settings for a static IP address.
- We fill in the following fields using information from the provider:
- If the provider did not specify the binding by MAC address, in the next window select “No, I am not connected to the host computer”:
Video: How to Connect a Router Via Phone
To establish a Wi-Fi connection from the phone, we also go to the “Quick Settings” section and select “Wireless Mode”. In the wireless mode section, turn on “Wireless Broadcasting”, set the SSID network (name), select the native region and set the mode (recommended mixed b / g / n).
In the “Wireless Protection” section, we need to come up with a password for our Wi-Fi network (WPA2-PSK is recommended as the most reliable).
Finally, access to the global network is open, and we can get to any site. Setting up a router from a phone or tablet is a snap. This is due to the fact that operating systems are very similar, they support the same applications as a personal computer. The browser on any device performs the same functions, so it can be easily applied on a smartphone to configure the access point.
Check in practice, is it really so easy to set up a router without a computer, connect an access point and connect your devices to a new network? I am sure you will succeed!
Wireless networks are so rooted in our daily lives that it’s hard for many to imagine it without Wi-Fi networks. This standard is utilized in almost all devices. From personal computers to video surveillance systems. Now many in the family have their own personal computer, as well as a smartphone, e-book and other gadgets, the work of which depends on the Internet. Therefore, Wi-Fi routers, or as some call them routers, are nowadays available in almost every apartment.
With the development of IT-technology, routers can be configured from any device.
Many already know how to configure their Wi-Fi devices, for this it is enough to connect them and the computer to the LAN connectors and complete the settings, according to the manual, which is almost always included. But what can be done if there is no electronic computer at hand? In this article, we will look at how you can configure a router from a phone or tablet when there is no PC or laptop at hand.
Before you start configuring your router, you must, of course, enable it. We connect the power adapter to the power outlet and connect the main Internet cable to the WAN router connector, usually it is highlighted in blue.
We connect the phone to the router
If you reset the default settings, then there will be no password to your device’s Wi-Fi network, it will be publicly available. Go to your phone’s settings, turn on Wi-Fi and find your network in the list of wireless networks. It can have a standard name, which will be the name of the company that manufactured the device, and this network should also have the best signal level. If you doubt that this is exactly the network of your router, then try turning the device off and on, while on the phone your network should disappear from the list and then reappear. Click on “connect”, and upon successful connection, the network status will be displayed at the top of the screen of your gadget in the form of an icon notifying that Wi-Fi is active.
We configure a router
The process of setting up the device through the phone is the same as in the case of the operation of a computer or laptop. To configure, open any web browser installed on your phone, for example, google chrome, and in the address bar, enter the standard address for all gadgets is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, click on the “Go” button. In the window that opens, 2 empty fields will appear, where we will need to specify the username and code to access the admin panel of the router. Since we dropped all the settings to standard, then this data will be standard, most often the specified user name is admin and the password is admin. If this data does not fit, look at the bottom of the device itself or in the instructions, it should all be written there. When you enter this information, you must go to the router’s web interface itself.
Actually, the configuration of the router itself consists of three steps.
Set up an internet connection
The main step is to specify the parameters of your provider, in the admin panel of the router these settings are most often performed in the WAN tab. Here you must specify the type of connection to the World Wide Web (for example, the most commonly used PPPoE), as well as the user name and password of the provider. This login pair with a password was issued to you when connected. Try to find your contract, which was given to you when connected to the Internet, everything should be written in it. After specifying these settings, save them. You can also try to perform automatic step-by-step configuration of the device, some devices can do everything on the machine, as well as determine the type of network through which your router connects to the provider. In this case, you will only have to specify your username and password.
If you don’t want outsiders to use your wireless network, thereby reducing your Internet connection speed, you can configure Wi-Fi by setting a password for it. Then access to the global network through your router will be available only to those to whom you tell this password.
We go to the Wireless admin panel section, and in the Wireless Network Name line indicate the name for your wireless network. By specifying the name of the Wi-Fi network, it will be easier for you to navigate when connecting other devices. Next, go to the Wireless Security tab and specify the security settings. For the security type, select the recommended WPA / WPA2, and in the Password field, enter your passcode with a minimum of eight characters. Do not invent a password that is too complicated, because in the future, you may have to enter it on your other gadgets, and this will create unnecessary difficulties for you when connecting.
Change the password for the admin panel
So that no one can change your options, even having access to Wi-Fi, you can protect your admin panel by changing the standard username and password pair to your own, more complex ones. Depending on the manufacturer of the router, these settings can be stored in different tabs, for example, System tools, after finding the desired tab, look for the password parameter. Here you need to set your username and password. After the above, the device must be rebooted so that it turns on with new options. After rebooting, open the list of Wi-Fi networks on your phone and find the name of the network that you specified during setup, you will also need to enter your new data. If everything is done correctly, the phone will automatically connect to the Internet, to check this, you can try to go to any resource on the global network.
So we learned how to easily configure a router, even without a computer or laptop at hand. In general, the setup procedure is almost the same as when using a PC. If you tried to configure the router from a PC or laptop before, then it will not make it difficult for you to do this from the phone.
Wireless networks have given us the opportunity to have access to unlimited and high-speed Internet using mobile devices. That is why today we decided to talk about how to connect the phone to a Wi-Fi router and describe what incidents may await us. We will also consider the possibility of remote access to the phone through a laptop or desktop computer, if the devices are on the same network.
First of all, of course, we will directly discuss the connection itself. At the moment, everyone, even the cheapest phone has a wireless adapter. Basically, it is now phones with the Android operating system that are in use, on the example of which we will show how to connect a smartphone to a Wi-Fi router.
- Before you try to connect, of course, you need to connect the distribution point and configure it if necessary. If all this has already been done once, now it just remains to turn on the router and wait until the download is complete. Next, we will conduct the connection to the phone’s router itself.
- Unlock and on the main screen we find the settings icon or menu, and there are already settings in it: everyone can have different things, since now there are many shells from various companies. The screenshot shows the sequence on pure Android 5th version.
- Inside, we are interested in the item labeled Wi-Fi. There we can find a switch that activates the adapter on the phone.
- After clicking on this switch, you will see a list of networks with which you can connect your smartphone to the Internet via a Wi-Fi router.
- Having chosen one of the networks, you will have to enter a password that protects it. If you still do not know what your password is, then you can see it on the box from under the router or on the sticker of the device itself. Next, a notification appears that the connection was successful and now you can use the Internet.
For some, turning on / off is by default on one of the switches in the so-called curtain, which is called up by a swipe from top to bottom on the main screen.
This is the only and correct way to connect your phone to a Wi-Fi router.
Wi-Fi Remote Access
Another interesting feature is connecting your smartphone to a computer via a Wi-Fi router. To do this, both devices must be on the same network, and a special program must be installed on the smartphone. This makes it possible to access the phone files without the help of extra wires. We will continue to provide examples based on the same Android OS version 5.
- First you need to have ES Explorer on your phone, which can be downloaded from the market.
- Now we connect the computer and the phone to the network. Open the explorer on the phone and swipe from left to right to open the menu. Here we are interested in the “Network” submenu.
- In the list that opens, select “Remote Access.”
- On the next page, we are interested in the “Enable” button. After clicking on it, a window with an address will appear. We will need this address already on the computer.
- Going to the PC, open “My Computer” and on top, by analogy with the browser, we find the line for the address. There and enter the address values.
- After entering, click on “Enter”. And before you open the contents of the phone. When you want to stop using this function, do not forget to press the “Off” button in the settings on the phone in the explorer menu.
Now that we have examined how to connect the phone to the router via Wi-Fi, and even learned how to remotely access it, we will consider what problems may arise during the connection.
So, let’s see why the phone does not connect to a Wi-Fi router. This may be some kind of malfunction in the software part on one side or another, which is treated by a banal reboot.
If nothing has changed after it, then it is quite possible that you do not enter the password correctly or that you have incorrectly configured the distribution point. Always carefully enter the password, while keeping track of the register and the layout language.
If the problem is already on the phone, then perhaps you have to go to the service center or reset to the factory settings, and if in the router, then the same reset or purchase a new distribution point.
An exception may be that rare case when the distribution point of the old model works with the phone at different frequencies, but here it’s clear how to proceed.
We hope that we have told you in sufficient detail how to connect the smartphone to the router via Wi-Fi, and now you will never again have any problems with this procedure.
How to distribute Wi-Fi from Android: Video
I work as a private computer master. Professionally engaged in computer repair for more than 12 years, as an amateur since the 90s.
For two years he worked as the head of a service center specializing in connecting subscribers to the Internet and computer help.