How to Connect a Microphone to a Windows 10 Computer
A microphone is a device that allows you to support voice communication in various programs, such as Skype or computer games. However, to connect the microphone to the computer, a simple procedure is required to install and configure the device. In most cases, a microphone is still needed for communication. So how to connect a microphone to a computer to chat with a friend.
How to connect a microphone to a laptop
Laptops are no less popular, as they are convenient to carry from room to room, take with you on the road, etc.
When using a laptop, the question of connecting a microphone usually does not arise, since all laptops have a built-in microphone and there is no need to connect an external device for communication. But still, if there is such a need, for example, if you want to make an audio recording in good quality or connect karaoke, then you need to follow these steps:
- Check for a microphone jack. In many cases, a special adapter is required. This connector is a pink (red) hole with a diameter of 3.5 mm.
If your device does not have this input, then you need to purchase an adapter or splitter.
How to connect a microphone to a desktop computer
A microphone, headphones and other equipment are connected to the computer through a system unit equipped with connectors suitable for this purpose. Usually a standard size connector is used. 3.5 millimeters.
If your equipment does not fit this connector, then you need to use an adapter. Some microphones have a 6.5 millimeter jack, and other sizes are also found. Accordingly, the adapter must be selected for these sizes. On the one hand, the adapter should fit under the audio connector of your microphone, on the other hand, the adapter will be a standard connector suitable for each computer.
In order to determine what diameter the connector of your microphone, just look at the factory box. On the packaging, the manufacturer describes all the characteristics of the device, including the dimensions of the output plug.
Connecting a microphone to the system unit
After acquiring the adapter, you need to find the appropriate audio jack, which is usually located on the back of the system unit.
However, it is important not to confuse the inputs, since the system unit has several similar inputs for different equipment. One is for headphones, the other is for a microphone, but they differ in colors. You need to choose pink (red) color, the adjacent green color is for headphones.
Checking the microphone connection on the computer
After you have connected your microphone to the system unit or laptop, you need to check it in operation. This can be done in the following ways:
- The main check begins in the computer settings:
- Go to your computer’s menu and open the “Control Panel” field,
- Find the “Sound” tab, and then “Record”,
- Click on the word “Microphone” and select the “Listen” function,
- Do not forget to check the “Listen from this device” function, which will be located in the same tab.
- If the computer is working properly and the microphone is connected correctly, then you can go into the sound recording function and try to record a voice message, then play it, after which it will be clear whether the microphone is connected.
- Another way of checking can be done by opening any program using audio. For example, try logging in to Skype and calling one of your friends. You can make an administrator call in Skype to check the sound. You will be prompted to record a short sound message after the beep, then your recording will be played. If you hear your voice, then the equipment is connected and working.
Setting the sound and microphone on the computer
In the control panel, for greater convenience, you can configure the sound:
- Go to the “Sounds and devices” section located in the control panel,
- Select the “Audio” section, then “Sound recording”, here you will find the “Volume” tab,
- In the “Volume” menu you need to find the word “Microphone” and increase the volume to the level you need. Usually the microphone volume is set to maximum,
- Also apply the “Gain” function,
- Click on the word “Save”.
If you find any noise or interference after all the settings, then you need to configure “Noise Reduction”. You can find this function in the above sound settings.
Video: How to Connect a Microphone to a Windows 10 Computer
How to connect a microphone on Windows 7
Each user independently chooses which operating system is more convenient for him to use. But systems can differ among themselves by the interface, speed, various functions. Accordingly, the settings on different systems may differ from each other.
In order to properly configure the microphone in Windows 7 and it worked without any problems, it is best to update the sound driver.
If Realtek hd is installed on your device, then you just need to update it; accordingly, the sound driver will update with it. You can check for the presence or absence of a program in the following way:
- Go to the “Control Panel”,
- Select “Equipment”, then the “Record” tab, in which you will find “Microphone”,
- By right-clicking on the “Microphone”, its properties will be available to you,
- In the properties, select the “Levels” section and slide the roller to the “100” mark,
- If you have connected headphones, you need to set the level to the level of “60” or “70”,
- Then you need to adjust the “Gain” by selecting the decibel level “20”,
- Save the updated settings.
How to connect a microphone on Windows 10
If you have problems with the microphone in Windows 10, you must configure the device using the following method:
- Press the right mouse button on the volume icon so that additional functions are available to you,
- In the menu that appears, select “Recording Devices”,
- In the devices, find the “Recording” section, then open the “Microphone Properties”,
- Open the Advanced tab and check the box next to “Default format”,
- In the field that appears, find the “Studio Quality” function and apply it by clicking on the word “Apply” or “Save”.
How to connect a wireless microphone to a computer
A wireless microphone has great advantages not only in convenient use due to the absence of wires, but also due to the presence of noise reduction.
It is most convenient to connect wireless equipment using Bluetooth. If there is no Bluetooth, then you can connect via the USB port. Usually, a wireless installation kit and USB flash drive are always included with a wireless device. A USB flash drive must be inserted into the appropriate input on a laptop or system unit and the drive should be installed following the instructions. Now your equipment is ready to go!
There are various programs for automatically adjusting sound on computers. Such programs include RecordPad, Echo, Free sound Recorder and others. These programs make it possible to make professional audio recordings without any interference or noise.
To work with these programs, you must select and download the product, then install it on your computer.
Write your comment Cancel reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
As part of the functionality of Windows 10, setting up a microphone (both external and built-in) is easy. It is enough to carefully study the instructions and you can get a full-fledged working microphone.
Turning on the integrated microphone
To enable the built-in microphone on a Windows 10 laptop, do the following:
- Right-click on “Start” → in the context menu select “Control Panel”.
- We select the item “Equipment and Sound” and in the drop-down menu of the panel click on “Manage sound devices”.
- Left-click on the “Record” tab. A window opens with the inscription “Microphone”. In this window, click “Properties”.
- On the General tab, select the “Use this device” line, and then click “Apply.”
- Finally, go to the tab with the name “Levels”, then in the “Microphone Amplification” move the slider to the position 20.0 dB and activate the changes made.
Initially, you need to check if the microphone driver is installed in the system.
To do this, the following set of operations is performed:
- Open the “Control Panel” in the system.
- In the menu, find “Device Manager”, and then find sound devices, game devices in the list of devices.
- Find a line with the name of the sound card (it should be part of the others, if so, then everything is in order with the card).
- If it is not in the list, you need to go to the official website of the manufacturer, select the necessary driver, download its latest version. To find out which sound card you have, press WinR and enter
In the “Sound” tab, you can find detailed information. To determine which driver is needed, the DevID.Info site will help.
If everything is done correctly, a green circle appears on the microphone icon, with a corresponding daw.
Turn on and configure your portable device
You can connect a microphone to the laptop without problems, in the corresponding jack (one for the microphone, the second for the headphones). If you can’t hear anything from the sound device after connecting, check the jack on / off.
Follow the steps:
- The “Sound” section opens on the laptop, for which the “Start” button is pressed, and then the “Control Panel” is selected.
- In the field for the subsequent search, the query “Sound” is entered, after which we go to the corresponding item.
- You need to go to the tab called “Record”, click RMB to open the context menu and go to “Properties”.
- The user needs to check if the microphone is turned on, and also go to the tab with levels. Then it is checked how the indicator of “Microphone activity” looks like. If there is a crossed out red circle on the levels, you need to enable it, and then click on the “Apply” button.
- You will need to go to the “Listening” section, give the function the property “Listening from a specific device” and approve the action.
How to remove noise?
Before removing annoying noises in the microphone, it is necessary to check the device to detect its weak points.
To do this, you must:
- Enter “Voice Recording” in the search field, confirm your choice (Metro Windows 10 application).
- When the operation is completed, in the appeared window with an indicator, click the “Start Recording” button. To check if recording is in progress, the user should say a few phrases to the microphone, save the sound file and listen to it. If everything that has been said is reproducing normally, then the microphone is fully operational. When the sound file contains noise, then there are problems in the microphone, you need to check its design.
- To resolve the noise problem, you must configure the device using special software (such as High Definition Audio Codecs).
- Also try removing the “Microphone Gain” levels, and select the “Default Formats” in the “Advanced” tab.
Did the microphone setup fail? Indicate in detail in the comments or in a special form what problem you encountered so that we can help.