RAM. is volatile, which contains temporary data of the processor program. The amount of RAM affects the ability to work simultaneously in several programs.
How can I find out the amount of RAM in Windows 7?
Below are a few ways to find out how much RAM is in a PC or laptop if Windows 7 is installed on them.
The standard actions for Windows 7 are as follows:
- Enter with the click of the mouse in “My computer” or on the keyboard by pressing the buttons and “E”;
- In the window, click “System Properties”;
Properties of the system
- In the menu that opens, find “System” and “Installed memory / RAM”. the amount of RAM is displayed here.
You can also use the following algorithm:
- Click “Start”;
- Log in to the Control Panel;
- Find “System”.
Here are the parameters of the PC: version of the operating system, hardware model, the amount of RAM installed.
There is another easy way to enter the System menu:
- Right-click on “My Computer”
- Click on “Properties”.
How to find out how much RAM a PC uses on Winodws 7?
To find out the amount of RAM used, the following steps are required:
- Press simultaneously “CTRL”, “SHIFT”, “ESC” (for Windows 7);
- In the opened window “Task Manager” find “Performance”;
- In the column “Memory” indicates the current amount of RAM used;
- In the column “Physical memory” there is a line “Total”, all RAM in megabytes is indicated here. The “Free” line displays the amount of unused memory, the amount of occupied RAM is shown below.
Getting detailed information about computer RAM
To see detailed information about the RAM used by Windows, you need to open the command line. It will allow you to find out the speed parameters and the volume of all memory modules.
The following steps are required:
- Launch the command line by simultaneously pressing the buttons and “R”
- Type “cmd”;
- Type “wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel, DeviceLocator, Capacity, Speed”;
- Click the Enter key.
- Columns will appear.
In BankLabel, a list of the slot where the RAM modules are located is displayed. “Capacity” shows the size of all of them in bytes. Also in the “DeviceLocator” is a list of the slot. “Speed” shows the speed of all modules individually.
Why does Windows 7 not see the entire installed RAM of the computer completely?
This issue can be clarified by analyzing the following reasons:
- In the case of 32-bit Windows 7, which uses no more than 4 gigabytes of RAM. Even if RAM is installed above this value, the 32-bit version of Windows will only see 4. How many bit operating systems in the computer can be found in the “System” menu. To ensure the availability of a higher RAM value, a 64-bit Windows update is required.
- Conflict of RAM modules due to their functioning with different speeds, i.e. do not work properly in dual channel mode. It is necessary to determine the speed of operation of each of them using the command line (instructions for its use are given in the previous section of the article);
- If some module does not function correctly, the OS cannot see it. It is required to perform a test using the freeware MEMTEST application;
- In the event of a conflict between the RAM equipment and the computer motherboard, Windows will not see them. In order to determine the type of RAM suitable for your computer, you need to study the accompanying instructions for the PC hardware.