How to Change Password on Android
Users of modern mobile phones developed on the Android system quite often encounter various problems associated with the operation of the device. In most cases, various problems arise due to improper operation of the device by consumers. The most common problems are cleaning up the device’s memory, password recovery and pattern recovery.
Let’s try to figure out how to recover the password for android. Surely everyone at least once encountered the problem of having forgotten a password or pattern to unlock the device. The most effective way is to use a mailbox.
Password recovery methods for Android
- Email Receive
- Via WIFI network
- Reset to factory settings
- Flash device
- Make Hard Reset
Remove the graphic key using your email address
Using this method is not difficult. You enter the wrong password several times in a row, after which you are offered the option of recovery through your email address. After entering the password and email address in the appropriate fields, you set a new password and use it for your pleasure. If it suddenly happens that you do not remember your email address or password to access it, we suggest you use the following method.
This method is that you need to restore the factory settings on your device. You can find out how to do this correctly in the instructions of your device, or use the information offered on the official website of the representative of your device model.
A way to change the password by resetting to factory defaults.
To do this, you need to enable reboot of your phone. The most common option is to simultaneously press the minus and power volume keys, after which the Recovery menu will load and select the line with the Wipe Data / Factory Reset side keys and briefly press the power button, how to do this we read in more detail in the article.
If this method is used on your device, the mobile phone will reboot and you will receive a device with factory settings. After recovery, you can install a new graphic key and use your phone for its intended purpose.
You can also use the password recovery method directly on your phone via a Wi-Fi network.
With the Internet working, open the corresponding panel on the top in your device and select your home network. The device will connect to the access point and unlock, then using the tips we advise you to change the password that you forgot to the new password.
Using Phone Call
This method does not always work and not on all phones.
Just call the device you want to unlock and pick up the phone through the settings menu, you can fix the permission to use the password or reset the settings.
Recover password using Android firmware
The simplest and most effective method of replacing an old, forgotten password with a new one can be done by flashing this device. Should you remember? What to do it yourself without practical skills you will not succeed. But we have full-fledged instructions for Android firmware in various ways, so that everything should work out for you.
You can also contact the service center, but here as they say if you have the means and do not want to mess around for a long time. Specialists will very accurately and efficiently cope with your problem, moreover, the service center employees provide a guarantee on the quality of the work performed. After flashing your phone, you get a phone with factory settings and you can set a new email, in case you lose the old one, and you can also set a new password to unlock the phone.
Probably the only drawback of this method is that during the firmware procedure your files and photos are not saved. We advise you to save all the data on an external drive in advance in order to avoid their loss in such minor troubles. There are a lot of ways to recover the password and how to remove the graphic key, they are distinguished by their simplicity, and some by radical changes in the operation of your device, so try to save the data additionally in another reliable place.
One of the common questions of owners of Android phones and tablets is how to put a password on the application, especially on WhatsApp, Viber, VK and others.
Despite the fact that Android allows you to set restrictions on access to settings and application installation, as well as to the system itself, there are no built-in tools for setting a password for applications. Therefore, to protect against the launch of applications (as well as viewing notifications from them), you will have to use third-party utilities, which are discussed later in the review. See also: How to set a password on Android (device unlock), Parental control on Android. Note: applications of this kind may cause an “Overlay Detected” error when requesting permissions by other applications, keep this in mind (for more details: Overlays were detected on Android 6 and 7).
Setting a password for an Android application in AppLock
In my opinion, AppLock is the best free application available to block the launch of other applications with a password (I’ll just note that for some reason the name of the application on the Play Store changes from time to time. Smart AppLock, then just AppLock, and now AppLock FingerPrint, it’s may be a problem given that there are similarly named, but other applications).
Among the advantages are a wide range of functions (not only the password for the application), the Russian language of the interface and the absence of the requirement for a large number of permissions (you need to give only those that are really needed to use specific AppLock functions).
Video: How to Change Password on Android
Using the application should not cause difficulties even for a novice owner of an Android device:
- The first time you start AppLock, you must create a PIN code that will be used to access the settings made in the application (to locks and others).
- Immediately after entering and confirming the PIN code, the Applications tab will open in AppLock, where, by clicking the plus button, you can mark all those applications that must be blocked without the possibility of unauthorized launching (when the Settings and Installer applications are blocked package ”no one will be able to access the settings and install applications from the Play Store or apk file).
- After you marked applications for the first time and clicked “Plus” (add to the list of protected ones), you will need to set permission to access the data. Click “Apply”, and then enable the permission for AppLock.
- As a result, you will see the applications you added in the list of blocked ones. Now to launch them you need to enter a PIN code.
- Two icons next to applications also allow you to block notifications from these applications or display a fake launch error message instead of blocking (if you hold the Apply button in the error message, a PIN code input window will appear and the application will start).
- To use a text password for applications (as well as a graphic one) rather than a PIN code, go to the Settings tab in AppLock, then select Protection Method in the Security Settings item and set the password type. An arbitrary text password is indicated here as “Password (Combination)”.
Additional AppLock settings include:
- Hide an AppLock application from the list of applications.
- Removal Protection
- Multi-password mode (separate password for each application).
- Connection protection (you can set a password for calls, connections to mobile or Wi-Fi networks).
- Lock profiles (creation of separate profiles, in each of which different applications are blocked with convenient switching between them).
- On two separate tabs “Screen” and “Rotate”, you can add applications for which the screen will turn off and rotate. This is done in the same way as when setting a password for the application.
And this is not a complete list of available features. In general. An excellent, simple and well-functioning application. Of the shortcomings. Sometimes not quite the correct Russian translation of interface elements. Update: from the moment of writing the review, there are functions for taking a photo of a guessing password and unlocking it with a fingerprint.
You can download AppLock for free on the Play Store.
CM Locker Data Protection
CM Locker is another popular and completely free application that allows you to put a password on the Android application and not only.
In the “Lock screen and applications” section of CM Locker, you can set a graphic or digital password that will be set to launch applications.
The “Select items to block” section allows you to specify specific applications that will be blocked.
An interesting feature is “Attacker’s Photo”. When you enable this function, after a certain number of incorrect attempts to enter a password, the one who enters it will be photographed, and his photo will be sent to you by E-mail (and saved on the device).
In CM Locker there are additional features, such as blocking notifications or protection against theft of your phone or tablet.
Also, as in the previous option considered, it is easy to set a password for the application in CM Locker, and the photo sending function is a great thing that allows you to see (and have proof) who, for example, wanted to read your correspondence in VK, Skype, Viber or Whatsapp
Despite all of the above, I did not really like the CM Locker option for the following reasons:
- A huge number of necessary permissions are requested immediately, and not as necessary, as in AppLock (the need for some of which is not entirely clear).
- The requirement at the first start to “Fix” the detected “Threats” to the device’s security without the ability to skip this step. At the same time, some of these “threats” are purposefully made by me settings for the operation of applications and Android.
Download CM Locker for free from the Play Market
This is not a complete list of tools to limit the launch of applications on an Android device, but the above options are perhaps the most functional and fully cope with their task.
In what situations is it necessary to know the password
Suppose you or someone in your family bought a new phone or tablet. Naturally, there will be a need to connect the device to home Wi-Fi. Thanks to automatic storage, most users do not remember the password, because you do not need to enter it every time.
Also, you often have to give a wifi password to your friends. A great option if it is stored somewhere on your computer or on a separate piece of paper. If there is no backup, then users have the opportunity to find out the combination from WI-FI on Android.
Using the standard features of the gadget
The easiest way to find out the password from WI-FI is to look at it in the properties of the access point on android. As a rule, most smartphones allow you to see the current password in the wireless settings. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the list of wireless networks. Activate your home WIFI on android.
- Switch to modem mode. Open the WI-FI access point.
- Select the line “Configure WI-FI access point”.
- You will see a password field, however it is hidden by dots. To display the line, click on the eye icon at the end.
After that, you can find out the desired combination, and then save it to your computer or write it in a notebook. This method is not relevant for all devices.
We use a router
One of the methods to find out the password from Wi-Fi is to inspect the settings of the router. This is where you can find the necessary combination. You can get into the modem settings even through the phone using a regular browser. To do this, follow the steps in the following instructions:
- Connect to your home wireless network.
- Go to any browser (you can use either standard or any other).
- In the address bar, enter the following combination “192.168.0.1”. This is the IP address of your router.
- You will be taken to the login page with the modem settings. You must enter your login and password. If before that they have not changed, then use the standard admin, admin.
- In the settings of the router, select the item “Wireless (network)” and the submenu “Wireless protection”
Here you can change the security level and the password itself. However, this method is relevant if you have not changed the input data for the router. Otherwise, you cannot get into the settings.
We use file managers
- Launch the app. In the root folder of the smartphone, find the directory called data.
- Find the “misc” folder. Go into it.
- Select the WI-FI directory, and then find the wpa_supplicant.Conf file in it.
- Open it with RB Text Editor.
- In the window that opens, you will see a list of networks. Find the name of the network you are looking for (ssid) and password (psk).
You can perform similar actions using the popular ES Explorer application. To do this, it will be enough just to go to the necessary directories, and then view the file with passwords.
WIFI Password (ROOT) also requires superuser privileges.
Get your Android password using your computer
If the phone’s settings turned out to be useless in this matter, and you don’t want to get root rights, you can use a special utility for the WirelessKeyView personal computer. The program is distributed absolutely free. There are versions for both Windows x86 and x64. The application is presented as a single executable file, so you do not have to install anything.
The user needs to run the program as administrator on the computer to which the Wi-fi router is connected. After that, a list of wireless networks will be presented. You can find out the password from the Key field. There is a value both in the hexadecimal number system and in the form of a regular string.
Now you know several effective ways to get the password from your WI-FI network.