The tortoise shell has a reputation as a tough, insensitive armor. Herpetologists have proven that this is not so. It is penetrated by nerve endings, and the animal feels even light touches. Injuries in the form of scratches, chips and cracks can be a serious threat. Care for the carapace must be done carefully and carefully so as not to harm the health of the creeper and not cause discomfort.
- you can wash the tortoise shell and skin with a soft sponge and clean water;
- it is permissible to use children’s hypoallergenic soap no more than once a week;
- products with aromatic fragrances and chemical composition are dangerous for the health of the pet;
- it is recommended to refuse the use of abrasives, scrapers, brushes and hard sponges, they can cause injury;
- the water temperature during bathing should not exceed 35 degrees;
- Do not keep the animal under a running stream from a tap.
The Central Asian, like any reptile from the squad, water procedures are useful. The frequency of bathing depends on the age, health and habits of the animal.
Land tortoise shell cleaning
Carapax and plastron are updated only in aquatic species of the family. In land turtles, the shell does not fade. If the shields of the pet begin to peel off and peel off – it is worth consulting with a herpetologist.
Dried mud can be soaked in a basin of warm water, or soaked with a damp rag. The use of brushes, scrapers and chemicals is recommended to be discarded.
Formations on the shell can be of fungal origin. In this case, the intervention of a veterinarian is required.
Cleaning the shell of a red-eared turtle
Freshwater species are found in liquids for most of their lives, but the hygiene of their carapace is more complicated than caring for a land tortoise. Problems with armor most often arise due to adverse conditions. Caring for the shell of a red-eared turtle includes cleaning, if necessary.
Green algae can grow on the shell of a red-eared turtle. This is facilitated by food debris in the water and bright lighting of the aquarium. An abundance of plants can cause the shell to stratify and shield to separate.
In the early stages, algae can be removed with a soft, damp sponge. Otherwise, the shell is treated with a solution of Lugol.
The method of dealing with the problem at home, if the sponge does not help:
- Rinse the shell with a damp cloth and dry.
- Using cotton wool, apply a thick layer of Lugol to the affected areas.
- Prepare a temporary dry cage with a lamp so that the reptile can warm up or hide in the shade.
- Hold the turtle in a prepared place for 2–4 hours.
- During this time, it is recommended to wash the aquaterrarium in the usual way and change the water.
- Wash the animal from the product and place it in the aquarium.
- During the procedure, avoid getting the drug on the mucous membranes.
Brown algae are removed by the same means. They usually arise from a lack of lighting in the aquarium. To increase immunity, it is worth injecting Eleovit, alone, or at the veterinarian.
White plaque control
Light formations on the shell can be a symptom of various disorders and diseases. Their detection is an occasion for a thorough examination of the pet. The most unpleasant of the probable causes is the development of the fungus.
During seasonal molt, between the levels of the exfoliated shell, air bubbles may look like a white coating.
Symptoms in which a visit to the veterinarian is required:
- the animal shows apathy or anxiety;
- the tissues under the fallen off flakes are soft, supple;
- the presence of inflammation, ulcers, crusts on the shell or skin;
- bad smell.
The most common cause of white plaque in everyday life is hard water. Salts settle on the shell, harden and are difficult to clean. Usually the sediment simultaneously with the armor covers the surface of the aquaterrarium. To clean the shell of a red-eared turtle from plaque, you can use lemon juice diluted with 50% water. Usually, you need to wipe the affected surface several times. It is not recommended to abuse the drug, so it is better to take care of prevention. Only soft, purified water can be used in the aquarium.