Water Turtle – favorite pet. It does not take up much space. Unlike cats and dogs, it does not spoil furniture.
With proper care, there is no smell, no allergies. You can have a turtle for those who have children. They can happily help you look after your pet.
HOW TO CARE?
- Aquarium. The most optimal is a glass aquarium with a capacity of 150 – 200 liters;
- Water. The level for the little turtle should be 10 cm, as the pet grows, it needs to be increased. In general, more water must be poured than the width of the shell. If the turtle is on its back, it could easily roll over. If there is no filter, then you need to change at least once a week. It is better to use filtered;
- Temperature. Water should be from 20 to 27 degrees;
- Land. Although turtles are called aquatic turtles, they cannot be in water constantly. A flat stone is suitable for the island (it should be boiled before use), gravel or decorative pebbles for aquariums can be used. The main thing is to tilt the ball, for the convenience of a turtle. The size of the land is slightly larger than the size of the shell;
Is there any need to worry if you notice that the red-eared turtle does not eat, languid and sleeps? What do these signs mean?
From here you will find out which terrarium is most suitable for red-eared turtles.
Features of breeding, care and maintenance of blue Akara are described in this publication.
- Lighting. The sun at home can be replaced by an ultraviolet lamp. It is necessary for full development and growth. The distance between the aquarium and such a lamp is 1.5 m. It is enough to turn it on 2 times a week for 5 minutes, further increasing to 30 minutes. For warming, it is not bad to use an ordinary table lamp. To avoid burns, the distance between the island and the lamp should be 30 cm;
- Walking. It is necessary to remove the pet from the aquarium from time to time, and in the summer it is worth taking it outside.
Video: Proper Care
What should be fed?
Before feeding, allow the turtle good to warm up, which helps to improve digestion.
The diet should be varied and balanced. A very small turtle can only be fed with special food, small crustaceans are suitable – gammarus and shrimp. For the development of the shell requires calcium.
To do this, you can give the eggshell clean and chopped or shell rock. Feeding is carried out twice a day, gradually moving to a single meal. It is enough to feed turtles who have reached 2 years of age 2 times per week.
Always accustom yourself to new food gradually. Along with crustaceans in the future, you can use dried marble cockroaches, crickets or locusts.
You can give turtles both fresh meat and fish. But not often in small portions. It is better that the meat is not greasy or boiled. Once a week you need to give the liver, it contains essential trace elements for life.
From fruits: apples, pears and bananas. It is good to add seeds of sprouted wheat and sunflower to the diet. The turtle must nibble, to avoid deformation of the jaw. Sprigs of apple or pear are perfect.
Never leave leftovers in food!
You can find out how many red-eared turtles live at home, how best to equip them with an aquarium.
Tips for choosing a terrarium for land turtles, creating it yourself – https://tvoipitomec.com/cherepahi/terrariumyi-dlya-suhoputnyih-cherepah.html
In nature, turtles sleep in winter for 5 months. The activity of the body slows down, and it hardly breathes.
At home, sleep only reaches up to three months. A week before hibernation, the turtle should be stopped feeding, then moved to a container with wet moss and lower air temperature.
At home there is no great need for hibernation. A pet will have enough sleep several times a day.
- Redness and swelling of the eyes – the most common disease. Occurs due to improper nutrition or from very dirty water. For treatment, foods that contain carotene should be introduced into the diet. Swimming should be reduced to three hours a day. Eyes must be carefully treated with a 3% solution of boric acid. Additionally, lubricate the antibiotic with ointments;
- Shell softening – the shape of the bones is disturbed, thickenings appear. The turtle becomes lethargic and does not move much. Small fish should be given along with the bones. Add UV;
- Pneumonia – arises from too cold water or proximity to drafts. A very serious illness that can lead to death.
Emergency care – warming over a solution of pharmacy chamomile.
Turtles are born no larger than three cm in size. The first two years are a period of intensive growth, turtles grow up to 7-10 cm. Then they grow a little slower. Adult turtle in no free will able to grow 25 – 32 cm. Adult males are significantly smaller than females. For comparison – in nature, their relatives can grow up to 50 cm.
HOW MUCH LIVES?
Common at home is red-eared tortoise. In conditions optimally created for life, she can live up to 40 years old. And if you have marsh turtle, then her life span is less – maximum 25 years.